Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
All my files have been converted to m4v, and they are also optimized for streaming when saved using https://subler.org/

I usually open the MKV, then add the artwork and saved as .m4v with sublar. It's doesn't re-encode or anything, so it's super fast.

Works ok in FE File Explorer, so I guess it's just using the native apple video player (which is fine).

Everything I loaded played perfect and automatically spacial audio worked on each one. It's the best by far, and I will use this till VLC updates their app.
Thanks for this interesting thread. So far I have nothing that supports spatial audio so I’m interested in trying one of your suggestions.

I installed FE File Explorer. Just a question...can I use an mp4 to get spatial audio in FE, or does it need to be an M4V?

Subler looks great. I’m going to try to find a Windows alternative as I don’t have a mac.

Hope Netflix or VLC will add support for spatial audio in the near future.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
I installed FE File Explorer. Just a question...can I use an mp4 to get spatial audio in FE, or does it need to be an M4V?
As far as I've seen, the file format does not matter much, there are many ways to encode video and 5.1 audio. If the audio stream within the video file is multichannel in a way that iOS can recognize it as multichannel audio, then it can apply the Spatial Audio processing to it before playback.

Also, the app must use standard iOS audio APIs for playback. For example, Air Video HD.app has not been updated even once in the past 12 months, yet it "supports" Spatial Audio since day 1 — because iOS does. And Netflix has received many updates since the feature was released and still doesn't support Spatial Audio.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Thanks for this interesting thread. So far I have nothing that supports spatial audio so I’m interested in trying one of your suggestions.

Subler looks great. I’m going to try to find a Windows alternative as I don’t have a mac.

Hope Netflix or VLC will add support for spatial audio in the near future.

There are also some "remuxer" programs, they just take the Mp4 file out of the MKV container, and turn them into M4V or Mp4.
they don't convert/recode the file, and works fast.

I am on a Mac, but I can just rename the Mp4 file to M4v file, and it works with spacial audio on my iPad.

Reactions: Moyapilot

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
As far as I've seen, the file format does not matter much, there are many ways to encode video and 5.1 audio. If the audio stream within the video file is multichannel in a way that iOS can recognize it as multichannel audio, then it can apply the Spatial Audio processing to it before playback.

Also, the app must use standard iOS audio APIs for playback. For example, Air Video HD.app has not been updated even once in the past 12 months, yet it "supports" Spatial Audio since day 1 — because iOS does. And Netflix has received many updates since the feature was released and still doesn't support Spatial Audio.
You were right! So MP4 files with AC3 using BE File Explorer do work with spatial audio! No need to convert to M4V. Now this has me wondering if its worth just spending the $5 for the pro version so that it can do the same from MKV files with no need of conversion.

Only thing I don’t like with this program compared to VLC is that it doesn‘t remember where you left off. And SMB playback crashed repeatedly on me, so I had to copy the files locally (no big deal though).

It was cool to finally hear what the fuss was all about after getting the Airpods Pro last month. Bass seemed very impressive, and there was no detectable degradation of the sound using this processing that i could detect.

The spatial audio icon in the control center was animated, and the sound would stick to the ipad screen when I would turn my head. I think this is probably the coolest part of the whole thing.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
And maybe even longer since there is no confirmation that the next ATV will support spatial audio.
I'd be really surprised if it didn't. Even if head tracking isn't there, Apple's spatial audio conversion for 5.1/surround content works great.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
I agree 100%. Just seems like Apple might decide that it's either all or nothing and if they can't do head tracking they might not want to do spatial audio at all, which would be a bummer.

Cr1-

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
Spatial Audio not working on M1 MacBook Air playing back Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ whereas it works on my iPhone 12

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Spatial Audio not working on M1 MacBook Air playing back Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ whereas it works on my iPhone 12
Yep. NOT supported on any Macs. Sad but true. Sure hope Apple changes that.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
is there any news if Netflix is working on spatial audio support for iOS? :/
Yes...there is an article today on this sites front page. A French site, and its just a rumor, but this would be huge! Love watching supported content on my 11pro!

One of the best things I can say about it, other than the super cool effect of audio “sticking” to the ipad as you turn your head and walk around, is the clarity of the dialogue.

Its like not have a center channel in your home theater for years (speaking from personal experience), to getting a proper center speaker that matches your front L and R speakers. The clarity in the dialogue is astronomically better.

Bass also seems to have some LFE quality to it, but I’m still in early stages of experimenting.

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Yep it’s a game changer. It already inspired me to upgrade my iPad after hearing it on my iPhone and it would sell at least two new AppleTVs to me if the ATV supported it.

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
Yep it’s a game changer. It already inspired me to upgrade my iPad after hearing it on my iPhone and it would sell at least two new AppleTVs to me if the ATV supported it.
Same here. I really want to upgrade my 10.5 inch iPad Pro which for some strange reason doesn't get spatial audio even though the iPhone 7 does. But I'm holding off from doing it because I'd feel like an idiot if Apple came out with the miniLED iPads this September.

I think I'll wait until then. Who knows, I'll probably even lose my hankering for spatial audio by then and not have to upgrade the iPad at all.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I thought this may help those who want to use Spatial Audio.

Supported
Air Video HD - Yes (turn Surround on in audio settings)
Apple TV - Yes
Disney+ - Yes
Hulu - Yes
Plex - Yes (go into settings > advanced and enable old video player) then quit and relaunch the plex app.

FE File Explorer - Yes
- SMB and automatic selection of 5.1/Dolby Atmos track (tested with .m4v files with AAC 5.1 (iOS 14.2 or above required), AC3 5.1, E-AC3 5.1, E-AC3 Atmos tracks)
- DTS 5.1 does not work

Foxtel Go (Australia) - Yes

Currently unsupported
Infuse - No
VLC - No
Netflix - No
YouTube (iOS) - No
Vimeo (iOS) - No

Not recommended and works intermittently
PlayerXtreme - Yes, and it can play videos over SMB (just select the DD 5.1 stream) but not recommended (loses connection to SMB, spacial audio stops working)

If anyone has tried other apps, feel free to edit (wiki post).

Supported Devices:
  • AirPods Pro or AirPods Max
  • iPhone 7 or later, or one of these iPad models:
  • iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd generation) and later
  • iPad Pro 11‑inch
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad (6th generation) and later
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • M1 capable Mac with Big Sur installed (can someone test and confirm,?)
Unsupported devices
  • AirPods 1st and 2nd generation
  • iPhone 6S and below
  • Apple TV 4K and below
  • All Macs (Intel + M1)
Updated with Plex compatibility and how to enable it.

Reactions: honglong1976

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Unfortunately that didn’t work for me, just gave it a brief test.
This is for the iOS Plex app on both iPad and iPhone. On iPad if you don't make this change but switch to Picture in Picture you will get spatial audio. Only works with files that have ac3 multi channel audio tracks.

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
For Plex I also had to add a small file into the Plex program on my PC, details are in the Plex forums if interested.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
The Taylor Swift folklore on Disney+ is worth a watch. I had to keep taking the Airpod Max off my head to believe the sound was actually coming from them. Pretty amazing tech.

Coolest Apple experience I have had since they introduced multi touch.

Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Reactions: petterihiisila
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.