Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
can't get social audio to work on AirPods max on macOS 11.1 in Apple TV app there's no option or in menu bar

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
It is in macOS 11.1, but seems only for Airpods Max
The release log seems to say that macOS 11.1 is compatible with AirPods Max. The rest of the description sounds like it’s describing what APM can do.

I’ve tried the APM on my M1 MBA and spatial audio cannot be turned on. Watched the same show from AppleTV+ on my iPhone and spatial audio is available.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Although originally designed for Apple TV and home theater use, I was surprised to find my surround sound audio apps for iOS work great out-of-the-gate with Spatial Audio!

Surround Speaker Check - The free Speaker Check 5.1 test demonstrates the surround sound capabilities of Spatial Audio, while the Center Speaker Check track ($0.99) IAP is a great way for viewers to clearly experience Apple's Spatial Audio head tracking feature in action.

Surround Sound Ear Candy - App-album featuring guitar-centric surround soundscapes and instrumental music. Perhaps offering a glimpse at how music might sound if Apple Music offered Spatial Audio? (Please read app description before downloading.)

Vermont Sleep Sounds & Music - Immersive recordings of nature, white noise and relaxing music, featuring Dolby Atmos tracks. Update (v1.1.2) for Spatial Audio support out today! (My newest app - still a work in progress!)

I hope it's okay to share these here. Let me know if otherwise and I'll edit or remove this post. Thanks.

—Jeff P.

You’re the dev for Surround Speaker Check? I’ve been using that app for years on the Apple TV. It’s great. Really comes in handy with testing different configurations.

Reactions: JeffPerrin

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Is it confirmed or just based on the changelog?
Can Airpods Pro owners confirm that in 11.1 they can’t do Spatial Audio?

Checked this morning with Mandolorian on iPhone then BigSur. Bit annoying and I really hope the Max doesn't have exclusivity over spacial audio

Reactions: giggles

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Can Spatial Audio be heard on APP or APM if airplaying a movie from iPhone11Pro to an airplay 2 capable TV?

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I just had an idea.
We could mute the TV and play the same movie at the same exact time on the iPhone and AppleTv. And place the iPhone exactly where the TV is.
Infuse and Plex could make this automatic as a software feature.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I just had an idea.
We could mute the TV and play the same movie at the same exact time on the iPhone and AppleTv. And place the iPhone exactly where the TV is.
Infuse and Plex could make this automatic as a software feature.
I was thinking of simply putting the iphone or ipad below the tv when airplaying to it. But any options for watching on a tv with spatial audio would be good.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I was thinking of simply putting the iphone or ipad below the tv when airplaying to it. But any options for watching on a tv with spatial audio would be good.

It doesn't work, it switches to the audio for the device selected. I do wish they gave the option to simply place a spatial audio compliant device under an AP2 compliant device.

Reactions: ader42

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
That would be awesome.

It is jsut about the only feature that would get me to buy a new ATV when the next generation comes out.

And I have a little hope, since the new ATV is about adding features for gaming...and spatial audio is a big deal in gaming.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It doesn't work, it switches to the audio for the device selected. I do wish they gave the option to simply place a spatial audio compliant device under an AP2 compliant device.
This works if you are wired to the TV with an adapter for HDMI

• Love

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
wow. This is fascinating. I assume you mean with official Apple adapter (lightning to hdmi adapter)?
That or on the iPad you can use one of many USB-C adapters that output to HDMI - but yea on iPhone the Apple one would be what I’d go with

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
That or on the iPad you can use one of many USB-C adapters that output to HDMI - but yea on iPhone the Apple one would be what I’d go with
Sounds like you have tested with the iPad but not the iPhone? Guess I'll have to pick an adapter up And try it. My 5th gen iPad is too old for spatial audio sadly.

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
But my iphone XR works well with it and if it's possible to make it work when displaying on a large external screen, that is fantastic!

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
And maybe even longer since there is no confirmation that the next ATV will support spatial audio.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Supported Devices:
  • M1 capable Mac with Big Sur installed (can someone test and confirm,?)
Not true for M1 Macs. I've seen several news sites quote 11.1 release notes mentioning Spatial Audio for Big Sur, but that very bullet has been since redacted from the Big Sur download page in the Mac App Store.

Also, there's no such option on my M1 Mac running Big Sur 11.1.

There's every reason to believe the news sites (including MacRumors) quoted Apple accurately at the time, but it must have been a documentation mistake by Apple and they've since removed any mention Spatial Audio in the context of macOS from their download page and support articles.

I remember reading from somewhere that Spatial Audio requires an accelerometer or gyro to work. And maybe that's so, but I'd be quite happy to get just the surround effect with no head tracking. I know well enough to keep the Mac in front of me when watching movie. Already sent feedback to Apple, please do the same. Spatial Audio Lite ™, there's a free marketing term for it.

Reactions: marvin_h

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
I sent my feedback too. I'm not super hopeful but it doesn't hurt.

I just hope they don't close the loop with the hdmi adapter!

Reactions: Mikeeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.