Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstep123

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2024
Is anyone here running Apple Studio Display and can confirm they too have the flicker?
My setup is MBP 16 M2 Max, Apple Thunderbolt cable, Apple Studio display.

Studio Display runs beautifully on my 2018 MBP 15.4" (Intel).
I replaced MBP16 once after Apple Support suggested it might be a Thunderbolt issue.

If Apple hardware doesn't work with Apple hardware... what hope do we have :)

silasdev

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2024
I have a Dell U4021QW (21:9, 5120x2160) screen and I've experienced the flickering and ghosting as well. I got a replacement monitor from dell a while ago and the ghosting is almost gone, but the flickering is still driving me nuts.

I'm running on a MBP M2 Pro 14" with Sonoma.

On the positive side:
Yesterday, I changed my color profile to be "Generic RGB Profile" while having the issue. Throughout the day, the issue became less and less apparenet and eventually disappeared. Let's see if it stays that way. I have my hopes high!

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Is anyone here running Apple Studio Display and can confirm they too have the flicker?
My setup is MBP 16 M2 Max, Apple Thunderbolt cable, Apple Studio display.

Studio Display runs beautifully on my 2018 MBP 15.4" (Intel).
I replaced MBP16 once after Apple Support suggested it might be a Thunderbolt issue.

If Apple hardware doesn't work with Apple hardware... what hope do we have :)

Ofcourse it works. Apple has done the testing themselves and made sure that it will work with ARM Mac, unlike PC monitor manufacturers.

Btw, all my other non-Apple displays work fine too.

Also as a FYI, you have to realize that what you read on social media is a very small vocal minority. Netflix was supposed to be cancelled by social media but they ended up being way more profitable as an example.

Last edited:

icosa

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Its a strange one. I've noticed certain apps (JetBrains, Teams), if they're placed in full screen mode than there is no flickering (or its barely noticeable).

On the other hand apps like iTerm are flickering regardless of whether they're in full screen or not.

Also, with Google Chrome in full screen, certain sites flicker and others not. Seems to affect sites with bright colors more. Using the popup menu in Chrome (top right) triggers heavy flickering on sites that use brighter coloring.

I'm using a ViewSonic 2768a-4K over usb c.

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I'd like to add the new CPU M3 Max to the list.

I was using an MBP16 Intel 2019 with dual Dell U2720Q via USB-C for 3 years without any issue. 2 weeks ago I upgraded to an MBP16 M3 Max and last week one Dell screen got the flickering/ghosting issue. I thought the screen was faulty (it's 3yo after all) hence called Dell support. Luckily I got warranty extension hence Dell sent a new U2723QE (manufactured Jul 2023) as a replacement. The new U2723QE hasn't got any issue so far but today the other Dell U2720Q gets the same problem and I found this thread.

Turned off the 2720Q for an hour, disabled SmartHDR, DCC/CI, changed USB to High Resolution and the issue is gone. I'm so tempted to call Dell Support again to get a new replacement as who knows the issue will occur again on the U2720Q.
@sonnyk Have you seen this issue occur again with the U2723QE? I just got Dell to send me replacements for my 2 U2720Q for this issue, and I suspect I will end up with the same model as you.

icosa

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
I recently upgraded to sonoma and my flickering has disappeared. No idea what they fixed.

mikhail_tal

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2024
i was using dual Dell S2721Q with 16 inch macbook pro m1 pro but flickering made me crazy and i sold them two of them.

in one of the previous posts, someone has suggested LG27UP850 and i bought it. now i have flicker free and would like to make it dual monitors but looking for a cheaper alternative, and i noticed that LG 27UP600 is using the same panel that LG27UP850 has.

Has anybody used them(LG27UP600)?

or Do you have any other suggestion for a flicker free IPS monitor with high PPI ?

or Is there any list that shows monitors which have been working with silicon macs flicker free?

Last edited:

pgbin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
I've been following this thread for some time, never commenting.
I have an MBP M2 Pro 16 inch, with a Dell U2720Q.

Today it started flickering as usual, but it won't stop: not even quitting the offending apps, restarting the monitor or resetting would do anything to fix it.

Did anyone else run into this issue? Were you able to fix it if so?

Update: After a few hours it fixed itself. The flickering got so bad this time that even turning the monitor off or plugging another device (such as my iPad) wouldn't stop it. What a weird issue to experience....

Last edited:

catalase

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2024
Hey everyone,

I tried many of the known "fixes", and as for most for you they proved short-lived and unsatisfactory, or for the most part, ineffective.

However I came about a guy on reddit, who posted the issue was mostly fixed for him, by slightly changing the gamma setting.

Method.
This may be possible in your monitors settings. But if it's lacking there, you can also change it in macOS.
Simply head to settings -> displays -> click on the colour profile -> customise -> hold option while clicking on plus.
You can now create a new colour profile (with more settings, including the gamma). You can leave all values as in the existing profile and change just the gamma value to your liking. It may be helpful, to induce flickering and see with what setting is occurs the least.

Result
With this simple modification, my monitor went from severe flickering + image retention to completely normal
. This may change in the future, or with the exact gamma value set, or depending on the monitor and general setup you are using - and it is likely to change, if some website or application happens to still show the problematic grey. However I would argue that, because the flickering seems to be induced by some shades of grey (pun intended), it seems reasonable to assume that modifying the gamma setting, thus modifying the grey values, may work for other monitors too.

Best of luck.

Edit: Interestingly, opening the display tool again while I wrote this, triggered flickering for the first time since I made the modification a few days ago. But it seems to have automatically disappeared once I close that.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
This discussion has a whopping 31 pages. What is the current status of this issue? Are there any workaround or fixes yet? If anyone could summarise the results of this long discussion it would be awesome. Thanks

pgbin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
This discussion has a whopping 31 pages. What is the current status of this issue? Are there any workaround or fixes yet? If anyone could summarise the results of this long discussion it would be awesome. Thanks
No fixes yet or confirmed workarounds yet. All the reports of changing soft settings on either the monitor or the Macs end up failing after some time.
The best prospect of a fix this thread has shown is this one from @WickedPorter where he reported no issues for 3 months after changing his cable for an active one.

I'm waiting to hear back from him after more time before buying a cable myself.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
No fixes yet or confirmed workarounds yet. All the reports of changing soft settings on either the monitor or the Macs end up failing after some time.
The best prospect of a fix this thread has shown is this one from @WickedPorter where he reported no issues for 3 months after changing his cable for an active one.

I'm waiting to hear back from him after more time before buying a cable myself.
I have tried different cables without much luck. But after I changed the gamma settings as described in the post before mine it seems better! I hope it stays this way.

pgbin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
I have tried different cables without much luck. But after I changed the gamma settings as described in the post before mine it seems better! I hope it stays this way.
Care to share what cables? Any of those was an active cable as suggested?

titaniumdoughnu

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Is this the same issue? I'm trying to parse out what might be several problems conflated, or indeed a single problem.

I am having a sporadic issue where the monitor (LG DualUp) starts rapidly flickering a ghost image of something I was displaying in the past. The ghost image returns after a power disconnect (up to 10-20 minutes so far), survives restart of the computer, and even appears again when the monitor is plugged back in to power only after a time, and not connected to the computer in any way.

I'm struggling to see how this could be anything to do with the computer, but it does sound like some people up-thread are talking about a similar issue.

Specs: Mac Studio M2 Ultra and LG DualUp display as secondary display. Primary display (which is fine) is an Apple Studio Display.

Last edited:

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
but keep in mind it depends on the 30" modell. I have two, one has the issue, the other not. both ore late 2005 but one is from early 2006 and the other is 2008. The 2006 is Ok, the 2008 not regardless 1510 or 1510-A adapter.

What about M3....do I have to stick to M1/2 in order to stay on that 30".

Last edited:

DisplaysShouldntBeTVs

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
FYI y'all, a few weeks after this reply, as of March 2024 a solution has finally been released.

Here is how to fix external monitor flicker, graininess, and hard-to-read text on Apple Silicon Macs in 2024:

Stillcolor by aiaf https://github.com/aiaf/Stillcolor

Was annoying me for years, plugging my Apple Silicon Mac into monitors I would notice flickering, especially on transparency effects where one of my older monitors would straight up be noticeably and obviously flashing. I could also see "dotted patterns" on darker shades of gray, including Dark Mode windows, that was really messing with color accurate design. None of my Intel Macs had this problem at all.

If you install this app, make sure "Disable Dithering" is checked in the status bar icon (then set it to launch at login), the flicker issue will entirely vanish. Finally my Apple Silicon Mac has the exact same clean external monitor output as my Intel Macs.

It is a pretty simple open-source app, basically it disables one property in the IOMobileFramebuffer registry that was intentionally added by Apple, which causes this flicker pattern (with an apparent goal of reducing color banding). Unfortunately Apple's "effect" makes the screen even worse, especially on old and color-inaccurate monitors where this flicker is very obvious in Dark Mode. There is usually no official toggle to turn it off. Stillcolor finally makes it possible to disable it.

As a side effect it will make shades of gray look much crisper and cleaner too, for example the background of Discord is now a very sharp uniform solid gray on my monitor instead of looking somewhat hazy and cloudy!

The only downside is that if you also use a "screen dimming" app that adds a black overlay to your external monitor, color banding will become more noticeable. However, all of the benefits outweigh the cons IMO.

Tested on 3 monitors, a recent-ish 2K monitor, an older 1080p one, and an ancient low res monitor from the 2000s. All 3 used to have the flicker issue on Apple Silicon (with the 2000s monitor being the worst) but not at all on Intel.

With the Stillcolor app, finally all 3 monitors are entirely free of any additional flicker on Apple Silicon.

By the way, the same toggle is planned to be added to BetterDisplay in the near future — a "GPU Dithering" toggle under Image Adjustments has appeared in some recent beta builds!

Now the only thing left is to ask Apple themselves to implement the same exact toggle — which already internally exists within the OS — in their own System Settings. File those feedback radars y'all! Even mention iOS, as this same issue occurs on iOS display output and there isn't a way to solve it there yet.

——————————————————

Bonus: Have you ever noticed a "fading to slightly darker colors" effect at the edges of your XDR mini-LED MacBook display? Some cases of "uneven" or "dirty" white backgrounds on M2/M3 MacBook Airs? Stillcolor can fix these too — just check the second box called "disable uniformity2D". (Ironically enough, disabling this additional effect used by Apple actually makes the displays appear more uniform to me.)

Finally, if you're running this app on an Apple Silicon Mac with an IPS LCD internal display such as a MacBook Air or *Touch Bar* 13" MacBook Pro — after "Disable Dithering" you may also notice an increase in text readability on your laptop's built-in display as well! The most significant improvement to the built-in display happens on specifically the Touch Bar models.

This is because the same flicker pattern was actually being added to internal display output too, just in a more subtle way that is much less obvious. Ever felt text slightly "shimmer" or "twitch" while reading on your laptop? It's not your eyes, it's the screen! It is also disabled with the same toggle!

🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
FYI y'all, a few weeks after this reply, as of March 2024 a solution has finally been released.

Was annoying me for years, plugging my Apple Silicon Mac into monitors I would notice flickering, especially on transparency effects where my monitors would straight up be noticeably and obviously flashing. I could also see "dotted patterns" on darker shades of gray, including Dark Mode windows, that was really messing with color accurate design. None of my Intel Macs had this problem at all.

If you install this app, make sure "Disable Dithering" is checked in the status bar icon (then set it to launch at login), the flicker issue will entirely vanish. Finally my Apple Silicon Mac has the exact same clean external monitor output as my Intel Macs.

It is a pretty simple open-source app, basically it changes one property in the IOKit registry that was apparently intentionally added by Apple, which causes this flicker pattern (with an apparent goal of reducing color banding). Unfortunately it just makes the screen even worse, especially on old and inaccurate monitors where this flicker is especially very visible in Dark Mode. There is usually no official toggle to turn it off. Stillcolor finally makes it possible to disable it.

As a side effect it will make shades of gray look much crisper and cleaner too, for example the background of Discord is now a totally uniform solid gray on my monitor instead of looking somewhat hazy and cloudy!

Tested on 2 monitors, a recent-ish 2K monitor and an ancient low res monitor from the 2000s. Both used to have the flicker issue on Apple Silicon (with the 2000s monitor being even worse) but not at all on Intel.

With the Stillcolor app, finally both monitors are entirely free of any additional flicker.

By the way, the same toggle is planned to be added to BetterDisplay in the near future — a "GPU Dithering" toggle under Image Adjustments has appeared in some recent beta builds!
Wow, that is great news

AndreDew

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024

Was annoying me for years, plugging my Apple Silicon Mac into monitors I would notice flickering, especially on transparency effects where one of my older monitors would straight up be noticeably and obviously flashing. I could also see "dotted patterns" on darker shades of gray, including Dark Mode windows, that was really messing with color accurate design. None of my Intel Macs had this problem at all.

It is a pretty simple open-source app, basically it disables one property in the IOMobileFramebuffer registry that was intentionally added by Apple, which causes this flicker pattern (with an apparent goal of reducing color banding). Unfortunately it just makes the screen even worse, especially on old and color-inaccurate monitors where this flicker is very obvious in Dark Mode. There is usually no official toggle to turn it off. Stillcolor finally makes it possible to disable it.

As a side effect it will make shades of gray look much crisper and cleaner too, for example the background of Discord is now a very sharp uniform solid gray on my monitor instead of looking somewhat hazy and cloudy!

Tested on 3 monitors, a recent-ish 2K monitor, an older 1080p one, and an ancient low res monitor from the 2000s. All 3 used to have the flicker issue on Apple Silicon (with the 2000s monitor being the worst) but not at all on Intel.

With the Stillcolor app, finally all 3 monitors are entirely free of any additional flicker on Apple Silicon.

Bonus: Have you ever noticed a "fading to slightly darker colors" effect at the edges of your XDR mini-LED MacBook display? Some cases of "uneven" or "dirty" white backgrounds on M2/M3 MacBook Airs? Stillcolor can fix these too — just check the second box called "disable screen uniformity". (Ironically enough, disabling this additional effect used by Apple actually makes the displays appear more uniform to me.)
I just made an account to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've had this tab open for over a year and was just about to give up and close it. I can confirm that this works. I really can't believe it. Thank you so much!!

LostProgrammer

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
I have what I believe is wonderful news.

Back on the first of January 2022, I reported the bug to Apple after having issues occur with my Dell S2722QC monitor. I spoke to multiple people at Apple who all tried to work out why the issue was occurring. I contacted Dell support who kindly sent me a second monitor to see if the issue occurs on a different monitor. To great surprise, the issue was present on the second monitor too.

There were many "thought to be" solutions such as:
• Changing refresh rate from 'Variable 40Hz-60Hz' to '60Hz'
• Turning off 'True Tone'
• Changing the Colour Profile on macOS to 'Colour LCD'
• Being on the most recent version of macOS
• Using HDMI rather than DisplayPort over USB-C

2 days ago, after two and a bit years, two entire macOS versions later, I receive a response from Apple saying that there are changes to macOS Sonoma 14.4 which may fix this issue.

After countless hours using my monitor with my MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro through DisplayPort, I can say with some confidence that the issue is not occurring. I am on macOS Sonoma 14.5 (Beta) so it may not be fixed on Sonoma 14.4 as Apple said in their email. I won't be amazed if the issue shows up somewhere else now, maybe some colours in an image on Google somewhere may cause it but we will see.

I have tested to see if it is fixed by going back to my original 13" M1 MacBook Pro from late 2020. This good old laptop is running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 which is the most recent version of macOS available to the public. During testing, the flickering occurs anytime comments on YouTube are shown or when watching YouTube Shorts. The trigger for the flickering changes all the time. Back when the issue first began, it was an image of a portfolio website on Google, then it was Rivian's website showing their R1T. The trigger has changed so many times over the past 2 years that I have failed to keep track of what has caused it.

With all this said, macOS Sonoma 14.5 may or may not fix the problem you are experiencing but I really hope it is the solution to end the problem for good for everyone. If you still have the issue occur after doing the next update when it is released to public (14.5), use Feedback Assistant on macOS to report the bug with as much detail as you can provide so the problem can be dealt with.

The email from Apple:
There are changes in build macOS Sonoma 14.4 or later that may have resolved this issue. Is this issue fixed for you in this build? If you are still seeing this issue, please provide any reproduction steps so we may investigate further.

AndreDew

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
Are you talking about the "flickering" or about those "moving lines on dark areas" ?Thx
The Stillcolor app solution a few posts up cured mine of pretty much everything. Had both flicker and lines/grids poping up especially towards the edges of the screen on dark/greyish areas. Seriously try this before messing with anything else as it's a really simple solution.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.