Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Any new updates on this issue running on Sonoma?
@racingclub Updates on the cable? I bought a very similar one...disappears for longer at a time, but eventually shows up again.

SubZerr0

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
Hello,
after reading every year the news regarding this topic I registered here.

Use a MBA M1 and had a lot of issues. After tested 7 different HDMI and Thunderbolt cables (and spend days of troubleshooting) I have one which is good and the MBA is working with my Dell 27" 4K screen.
But sometimes I got the flickering and the ghosting. I can trigger it with Safari and a webpage with a lot of dark content.

Except of that everything works fine. Now I want to change my Dell S2721QS, 27" against a HP Omen 27k, 27" because it have more than 60 Hz. Since the iPhone with 120 Hz 60 Hz feels laggy and poor 🙃

My two questions
1. regarding the HP Omen, does somebody uses this display with with an M1/M2 and have issues?
2. is there a combination which works fine or does every Non Apple external screen have issues?

My target is a 27" 4K IPS screen with more than 100 Hz which works perfectly like on my MS Surface.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
This is exactly i want - mac mini m2 or macbook air m1 with 27 or 32 inch 120hz screen - anyone has any working non apple screen without flicker/ghosting?

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
This is exactly i want - mac mini m2 or macbook air m1 with 27 or 32 inch 120hz screen - anyone has any working non apple screen without flicker/ghosting?
The Innocn mini led monitors work without ghosting/flickering. Most mid-high end LG monitors do as well but avoid the 500 series LG, those do have flicker.

Reactions: Chuckeee

SubZerr0

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
The Innocn mini led monitors work without ghosting/flickering. Most mid-high end LG monitors do as well but avoid the 500 series LG, those do have flicker.
Thank you, sadly Innocn is not available here. I will test the Coolster Master GP27U because I heard this display will work.

Crackman

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
Netherlands
I have the 27” Mi 2K gaming monitor from Xiaomi which has been working without issue for over a year now. 1440p/120hz, and a clean bezel/stand design. Very pleased with it.

ibash

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
FWIW I've been using a desk at my friend's office for a few weeks now. They have LG 32 UN880 monitors and I haven't had an issues with flicker. The last time I hooked my computer up to the viewsonic VP2768a-4k (october 3rd) I did have flickering.

So if you're looking for a flicker free monitor I'd recommend trying an LG.

p.s. if you do set the picture mode on the monitor to DCI-P3.

mcnuggetswithcheese

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
At least the monitor manufacturers acknowledge this issue...
Note this finding from EIZO:
The video signal output from the Mac computer with Apple M1/M2/M3 series chip is fluctuating in several frame cycles, which may be interfering with the LCD panel control of the external monitor.
Video signal output from a Mac or Windows computer with Apple Intel chip do not fluctuate in this way, so the phenomenon is not likely to occur.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009

maxgrobb

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I've read through most of the posts.
I have a Mini M2Pro and a HP z27 4k Monitor connect using HDMI (also tried usb c/display port) and suffer from occasional flickering.

So in short there is no real solution or confirmed work around.
To avoid the issue you'd have to shell out and get an apple monitor?

maxgrobb

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I get flickering/ghosting regularly when using Final Cut Pro.
Yesterday I toggled the refresh rate and dark mode setting and that got rid of the flickering.
Not sure if that was coincidental or not

ibash

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
FWIW I've been using a desk at my friend's office for a few weeks now. They have LG 32 UN880 monitors and I haven't had an issues with flicker. The last time I hooked my computer up to the viewsonic VP2768a-4k (october 3rd) I did have flickering.

It's been over a month. No flickering since I've used this monitor. It has my blessing.

sonnyk

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
I'd like to add the new CPU M3 Max to the list.

I was using an MBP16 Intel 2019 with dual Dell U2720Q via USB-C for 3 years without any issue. 2 weeks ago I upgraded to an MBP16 M3 Max and last week one Dell screen got the flickering/ghosting issue. I thought the screen was faulty (it's 3yo after all) hence called Dell support. Luckily I got warranty extension hence Dell sent a new U2723QE (manufactured Jul 2023) as a replacement. The new U2723QE hasn't got any issue so far but today the other Dell U2720Q gets the same problem and I found this thread.

Turned off the 2720Q for an hour, disabled SmartHDR, DCC/CI, changed USB to High Resolution and the issue is gone. I'm so tempted to call Dell Support again to get a new replacement as who knows the issue will occur again on the U2720Q.

ibash

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
I'd like to add the new CPU M3 Max to the list.

I was using an MBP16 Intel 2019 with dual Dell U2720Q via USB-C for 3 years without any issue. 2 weeks ago I upgraded to an MBP16 M3 Max and last week one Dell screen got the flickering/ghosting issue. I thought the screen was faulty (it's 3yo after all) hence called Dell support. Luckily I got warranty extension hence Dell sent a new U2723QE (manufactured Jul 2023) as a replacement. The new U2723QE hasn't got any issue so far but today the other Dell U2720Q gets the same problem and I found this thread.

Turned off the 2720Q for an hour, disabled SmartHDR, DCC/CI, changed USB to High Resolution and the issue is gone. I'm so tempted to call Dell Support again to get a new replacement as who knows the issue will occur again on the U2720Q.
If they’re willing to replace the other monitor imo go for it. If you look at the history of this thread you’ll see that the problem reoccurs on/off over the course of years. It tends to come and go on the timeline of days/weeks, but no one has solved it short of using specific monitor models.

sonnyk

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
If they’re willing to replace the other monitor imo go for it. If you look at the history of this thread you’ll see that the problem reoccurs on/off over the course of years. It tends to come and go on the timeline of days/weeks, but no one has solved it short of using specific monitor models.
I will definitely call them for a replacement when the issue resurfaces. Last week I had to take several videos and photos to show them the flickering/ghosting issue before they agreed to replace it. The issue is gone now on the U2720Q so I don't have any evidence to ask for a replacement right now.

OrgasmicTeasp00n

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2023
For what it's worth here are some tips I got from a support rep at Dell when calling for a replacement.
This was the advice I was given in regards to the P2723QE model.

• Avoid using dark mode since the issue is often triggered by darker colors (grey especially)
  • In you monitor OSD change Display -> USB-C Prioritization -> High Resolution. (Probably not available on all monitors, and only applicable if using USB-C I would guess)
  • Set the refresh rate to 30Hz (Bad solution since it makes it **** to use imo)
Many of these things have already been discussed/speculated in this thread, but just wanted to add that I was told this by a person sitting in the Dell support team.
I don't think it solves the issue, but it might just help postpone it.

Monomono

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
Can safely assume at this stage, is that this is a hardware issue in apple silicon.
I have flickering with both my dell laptop and macbook pro m1 max on a dell u3324kb 6k 32 inch screen. Gonna try an hdmi 2.1 adapter and cable to see if that solves the issue.

Bark

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Earth

I have the issue on my LG: 27GL650F. So while LG might be a good choice for this issue it is not going to be universally problem free.

Reactions: ibash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.