Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oz_rkie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2021
Yes, because I never had this "flickering issue" both on my old 4K Samsung display or my Apple Studio Display.
Oh, that proves it then, just because 'you' did not have this issue with a sample size of '2' monitors (1 of them being Apple's own display). Thank you, I wonder why the 100s of impacted users across a RANGE of monitors and manufacturers did not think of this.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Oh, that proves it then, just because 'you' did not have this issue with a sample size of '2' monitors (1 of them being Apple's own display). Thank you, I wonder why the 100s of impacted users across a RANGE of monitors and manufacturers did not think of this.

If it was an Apple problem, every monitor would not work with M1/M2 Mac. And this is not the case. It is simple logic.

oz_rkie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2021
If it was an Apple problem, every monitor would not work with M1/M2 Mac. And this is not the case. It is simple logic.
On the contrary, that is not how hardware (or software) works, nor logic works. But good try.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
On the contrary, that is not how hardware (or software) works, nor logic works. But good try.

So you are saying all those professional design studios with desks full of $6000 Pro XDR display are having these issues too?

They would have sold all their Mac and displays if this was the case.

The fact is, there are displays that work perfectly.

And Dell needs to ensure that their display are M1/M2 compatible, like other external displays that work.

oz_rkie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2021
So you are saying all those professional design studios with desks full of $6000 Pro XDR display are having these issues too?

They would have sold all their Mac and displays if this was the case.

The fact is, there are displays that work perfectly.

And Dell needs to ensure that their display are M1/M2 compatible, like other external displays that work.
All those pro xdr are apple displays, which means Apple can work around their apple silicon issues since they control the full hardware+software stack. And again, read this thread again maybe, its NOT just dell and its not just one or two variants of monitors, its dell, benq, lg, viewsonic, acer, asus and insert any other manufacturer here. People with any number of manufacturer and model variants have experienced issues, the ONLY common thread being apple silicon between all of them. Not only that, people have had issues with apple silicon with monitors that work PERFECTLY fine with any other decvice (including apple's own intel based). Anyhow, you can live in your fairy tale apple sheep land if you wish.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
All those pro xdr are apple displays, which means Apple can work around their apple silicon issues since they control the full hardware stack. And again, read this thread again maybe, its NOT just dell and its not just one or two variants of monitors, its dell, benq, lg, viewsonic, acer, asus and insert any other manufacturer here. People with any number of manufacturer and model variants have experienced issues, the ONLY common thread being apple silicon between all of them. Not only that, people have had issues with apple silicon with monitors that work PERFECTLY fine with any other decvice (including apple's own intel based). Anyhow, you can live in your fairy tale apple sheep land if you wish.

It's not just "Apple displays", my Samsung display works flawless too. The only difference is the slower "wake up" time in comparison to my Apple Studio Display.

So it's not an excuse that "Apple worked around the problem".

Fact is, external displays do work on Apple Silicon Mac. And it's up to manufacturers to ensure it is M1/M2 compatible, just like every hardware device out there.

It doesn't matter if it worked on Intel Mac. My audio interface was in the same situation until the manufacturer made it M1/M2 compatible.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
i guess it is both - apple and monitor producers problem. can imagine someforgotten standard that either apple or manufacturers does not care about and all these years it was no problem and now with new bread of SoC, it can cause problems... both side should try to solve that ASAP, both are being hit by bad CX

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Anyone with samsung S80A can test if flicker occurs?? Was abiut to buy mac mini m2 vase with this monitor.. now really not sure if i should pull the trigger

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
i guess it is both - apple and monitor producers problem. can imagine someforgotten standard that either apple or manufacturers does not care about and all these years it was no problem and now with new bread of SoC, it can cause problems... both side should try to solve that ASAP, both are being hit by bad CX

Apple has no legal guarantee that a monitor manufactured by Dell works as advertised. Dell is responsible for this, it is not an Apple problem.

And Apple has already fixed Dell their problem, which is the Apple Studio Display and Pro XDR.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
hm, and yet you find a lot of unhappy customers who blame apple.. so, again, this is problem for both - apple and monitor makers

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Please, if an external hardware doesn't work with Windows, you think Microsoft is going to fix it? No, it's the manufacturer which has to fix it.

At launch of M1 Mac's, my audio interface did not work with Apple Silicon Mac's. But now it does. Did Apple fix anything? Nope, it was the manufacturer who fixed it to ensure it is compatible now with M1/M2 Mac's.

You think open source developers will fix all hardware issues on Linux too?

Do you think it is realistic for a display manufacturer to "update" 10 year old displays just because Apple decided to screw something up?

No, this is 100% a Apple problem.

Weird how my 10 year old Eizo monitor works perfectly well on my Legion 5 (which is newer than the MBP which I have). That monitor has been used with Windows 7, Windows 8 (ugh), Windows 10 and now Windows 11, with various different processors and GPUs. NVIDIA, AMD, Intel. No problems.

Edit: BenQ even put up that little FAQ, and it feels like they have no real grasp what is causing the problem since they suggest different "solutions".

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Do you think it is realistic for a display manufacturer to "update" 10 year old displays just because Apple decided to screw something up?

No, this is 100% a Apple problem.

Weird how my 10 year old Eizo monitor works perfectly well on my Legion 5 (which is newer than the MBP which I have). That monitor has been used with Windows 7, Windows 8 (ugh), Windows 10 and now Windows 11, with various different processors and GPUs. NVIDIA, AMD, Intel. No problems.

Edit: BenQ even put up that little FAQ, and it feels like they have no real grasp what is causing the problem since they suggest different "solutions".

What you mean "screw" something up? Apple did a major architecture change so software and hardware may require to be updated.

Apple is not like Windows, where Windows ensures it is backward compatible with software and hardware from 30 years ago. If you want this, you shouldn't have bought a Mac but instead have bought a PC where pretty much all hardware and software will continue to work from decades ago.

I have a $2200 hardware synthesizer which no longer works with M1/M2 and the manufacturer will not update it, and is now Windows only basically. And nobody who owns this synthesizer is blaming Apple, we are chasing the manufacturer to make it M1/M2 compatible (but we know it will never happen).

The manufacturer of my audio interface fixed all bugs and is now fully M1/M2 compatible, so manufacturers are able to do this.

Last edited:

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
What you mean "screw" something up? Apple did a major architecture change so software and hardware may require to be updated.

My audio interface got broken and the manufacturer fixed it.

Apple is not like Windows, where Windows ensures it is backward compatible with software and hardware from 30 years ago.
They have obviously screwed something up.

Outputting a display signal that is compatible with a established standard should be very high on the priority list.
PC manufacturers manage to, Sony does with the Playstation and most other which have hardware that connects to a monitor.

Does your audio interface require drivers? Then it is a different matter IMO.

Regarding your last point, its a huge waste of everyones money, time and the natural resources if a lot of people need to buy new monitors (of which we don't know 100% for sure if they will have the problem or not) because Apple switched from x86 to ARM.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
What's next
They have obviously screwed something up.

Outputting a display signal that is compatible with a established standard should be very high on the priority list.
PC manufacturers manage to, Sony does with the Playstation and most other which have hardware that connects to a monitor.

Does your audio interface require drivers? Then it is a different matter IMO.

Regarding your last point, its a huge waste of everyones money, time and the natural resources if a lot of people need to buy new monitors (of which we don't know 100% for sure if they will have the problem or not) because Apple switched from x86 to ARM.

It doesn't require drivers.

I have a $12.000 DAC that worked out of the box with M1/M2 Mac and didn't need to be updated. But my $800 DAC + AMP didn't work and required to be updated.

On Reddit there are people that fixed the flickering issue by simply disabling a software feature on their monitor. So a simple software update that fixes a bug caused by this software feature on the monitor would address it for some users.

As I said, I have a $2200 hardware synthesizer that no longer works with M1/M2, and we are all chasing the manufacturer to make it M1/M2 compatible, not Apple.

Last edited:

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
What's next

It doesn't require drivers.

I have $12.000 DAC that worked out of the box with M1/M2 Mac and didn't need to be updated. But my $800 DAC + AMP didn't work and required to be updated.

On Reddit there are people that fixed the flickering issue by simply disabling a software feature on their monitor. So a simple software update that fixes a bug caused by this software feature on the monitor would address it for some users.

As I said, I have $2200 hardware synthesizer that no longer works with M1/M2, and we are all chasing the manufacturer to make it M1/M2 compatible, not Apple.
Most monitors can not be updated, the firmware is fixed. And you can not access "advanced features" on many monitors.

How is your DAC connected to the Apple device? 3.5 mm stereo plug? Then it is weird that it doesn't work.
I am not very familiar with audio, so excuse my ignorance. If it is USB, then it probably requires an updated driver, then I can see why it might not work. The same can happen under Windows when they switch to a new generation.

But to me, outputting a video signal to a monitor is something different.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Most monitors can not be updated, the firmware is fixed. And you can not access "advanced features" on many monitors.

How is your DAC connected to the Apple device? 3.5 mm stereo plug? Then it is weird that it doesn't work.
I am not very familiar with audio, so excuse my ignorance. If it is USB, then it probably requires an updated driver, then I can see why it might not work. The same can happen under Windows when they switch to a new generation.

But to me, outputting a video signal to a monitor is something different.

Just simply by using the Thunderbolt/UBS-C ports. I don't know the engineering behind it, but the guys who build the $12.000 DAC obviously did a much better job. Only on Windows, drivers are required to be installed, but not on Mac.

I even have a device which removes "USB jitter" to clean up the signal added to the Thunderbolt / USB-C port and this $12.000 DAC still worked without any update required.

If your monitor cannot be updated with a firmware update or access "advanced features", then the only thing you can do is simply wait and hope it gets fixed by Apple (which Apple doesn't need to do so it is a very risky strategy), or buy a new monitor. Or you could switch to PC, so you will never have to deal with compatibility problems ever again (because Windows ensures backward compatibility with software and hardware from decades ago).

I actually have a PC for this reason still.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
well, actually it is what i am going to do, will not buy mac mini till apple solves this. if they not, ok well then, no buy. if any other manufacturer in the world is able to make old monitors work, one richest company of the world could do that as well

Reactions: fastson

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
well, actually it is what i am going to do, will not buy mac mini till apple solves this. if they not, ok well then, no buy. if any other manufacturer in the world is able to make old monitors work, one richest company of the world could do that as well

You are free to choose how to spend your money ofcourse. But it is a bit strange to hold Apple accountable for monitors from Dell, while Apple is only responsible for the Apple Studio Display and the Pro XDR.

Dell should simply come with a new firmware update to make sure those bugs don't happen with M1/M2.

The big question is, did Dell advertise those monitors as M1/M2 compatible. If not, the situation could be even more interesting, as then you could argue that Dell never intended those monitors to be used with M1/M2.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
You are free to choose how to spend your money ofcourse. But it is a bit strange to hold Apple accountable for monitors from Dell, while Apple is only responsible for the Apple Studio Display and the Pro XDR.

Dell should simply come with a new firmware update to make sure those bugs don't happen with M1/M2.

The big question is, did Dell advertise those monitors as M1/M2 compatible. If not, the situation could be even more interesting, as then you could argue that Dell never intended those monitors to be used with M1/M2.
Please stop this ********.. like every monitor ever made should be updated because one the richest company can not get its **** together or even better we should throw away old monitors cause apple brought faulty SoCs, right?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Please stop this ********.. like every monitor ever made should be updated because one the richest company can not get its **** together or even better we should throw away old monitors cause apple brought faulty SoCs, right?

Do you have any figures to suggest every monitor has this issue, because I can tell that it isn’t true (my monitors work fine).

Let’s do some math here.

Based on the 1st page, we have 9 unique members posting. So let’s assume that for every page, we have 9 new unique members joining every page.

So 9 x 28 (pages) = 250 people.

That is an extremely low number of people that have this issue.

And I’m actually overestimating this number, because the number of unique people joining every page should be decreasing, rather than staying constant.

And just because you believe Apple should fix bugs from other manufacturers, doesn’t mean it’s true. Apple doesn’t provide warranty or support for Dell monitors, there is no legal basis for this.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
This is bummer, wanted to buy mini with some 4k monitor as secondary computer, dobt want flick fest at home:(

So you don’t even suffer from flickering issues.

I guess we can end this discussion now, because you don’t even own a Mac Mini with external displays to begin with.

oz_rkie

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2021
Do you have any figures to suggest every monitor has this issue, because I can tell that it isn’t true (my monitors work fine).

Let’s do some math here.

Based on the 1st page, we have 9 unique members posting. So let’s assume that for every page, we have 9 new unique members joining every page.

So 9 x 28 (pages) = 250 people.

That is an extremely low number of people that have this issue.

And I’m actually overestimating this number, because the number of unique people joining every page should be decreasing, rather than staying constant.

And just because you believe Apple should fix bugs from other manufacturers, doesn’t mean it’s true. Apple doesn’t provide warranty or support for Dell monitors, there is no legal basis for this.
All your posts here suggest that you completely fail at logic, understanding of customer rights, and a host of other things. I am probably feeding the troll by replying yet again but your level of being an apple sheep is just incredible lol. Your math immediately assumes that this is the only forum that people post on and that every one who has the issue will make a post. Both of these assumptions are wildly inaccurate and far from the truth. There are a ton of other websites and forums and twitter and even apple forums that many other people have posted, and whats more is that a lot of people who have had this issue probably have no online presence or will bother to make posts etc. Certain manufacturers even have come out with FAQ section saying that apple silicon has weird unknown issues with external monitors. You should either go and get some understanding of how things work or stop trolling. Anyhow this will be my last reply to you on this. This is clearly something apple should take responsibility for, but you can keep defending a trillion dollar corporation who gives 0 ***** about you and will gladly screw over customers for profit.

Reactions: fastson

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
All your posts here suggest that you completely fail at logic, understanding of customer rights, and a host of other things. I am probably feeding the troll by replying yet again but your level of being an apple sheep is just incredible lol. Your math immediately assumes that this is the only forum that people post on and that every one who has the issue will make a post. Both of these assumptions are wildly inaccurate and far from the truth. There are a ton of other websites and forums and twitter and even apple forums that many other people have posted, and whats more is that a lot of people who have had this issue probably have no online presence or will bother to make posts etc. Certain manufacturers even have come out with FAQ section saying that apple silicon has weird unknown issues with external monitors. You should either go and get some understanding of how things work or stop trolling. Anyhow this will be my last reply to you on this. This is clearly something apple should take responsibility for, but you can keep defending a trillion dollar corporation who gives 0 ***** about you and will gladly screw over customers for profit.

You guys claimed that all monitors have this problem and I have asked where is this number coming from? Do you have any data to back this up.

My logic doesn’t fail. There is over 1 million people on MacRumors and 250 people is extremely small. And I was being generous with 250 people.

If you think you understand consumer laws better, there is only 1 way find out. Go sue Apple about your Dell monitor not working as advertised, rather than sueing Dell for not updating their monitors and see what happens.

If my mouse is not working as advertised, I go talk to Logitech and demand they update / fix my mouse, rather than demanding Apple to fix it. And Logitech did fix the scrolling issue in the end themselves on Mac.

You guys are simply barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fastson and oz_rkie

fastson

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
Found this little update from Eizo regarding compatabilty issues with M1/M2 Mac Hardware.

When certain video or still images are displayed, a flicker-like phenomenon may occur in which the brightness of the screen changes in short cycles while these images are displayed on the screen.

They released an update to unlock the refresh rate to ..... 30 Hz.

When the refresh rate of the signal output from the Mac is changed to 30Hz, the mouse pointer and display images may not be smooth.

What kind of f#ckery did Apple unleash on these manufacturers that this is the only solution they can come up with? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: maxgrobb

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Found this little update from Eizo regarding compatabilty issues with M1/M2 Mac Hardware.

They released an update to unlock the refresh rate to ..... 30 Hz.

What kind of f#ckery did Apple unleash on these manufacturers that this is the only solution they can come up with? 🤣

Yet on my previous Samsung display, it did 60hz on my M2 MacBook Air and 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro without a single problem.

There is also not a single issue on my Apple Studio Display at 60hz.

Looks like an Eizo problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.