Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Yup, same here, 4 settings HDMI 1, HDMI 2, DP, and TB.
Of course I initially hooked up just Thunderbolt.
However, I have 2 OWC TB Docks connected to the 2 M1 Mac mini Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports.
That way I have a total of 6 TB3 ports available as each Dock has 4 TB ports.
So the TB cable from the LG monitor goes to an OWC TB port.
I noticed quite a delay for the LG monitor to power on when powering on the M1 Mac mini.
Sometimes the delay was too long, so the LG monitor was already off when the mini send its signal.
Also, it never woke up from sleep.

So, as the LG monitor/display came with a beautiful HDMI cable I decided to hook it up additionally.
Then I set the LG monitor to use the HDMI signal as the display input.
LG monitor now reacts much faster and also wakes up from sleep every time so far.
Of course one still needs the TB cable to connect/power the 2 USB-A ports in the back of the LG monitor.
I use one of the LG monitor USB ports to power an LED light.

Having both TB and HDMI cable connected makes it easy to select one or the other to drive the display.
But I am using now the HDMI signal to drive the display as I know that wakes it up.

I still have more testing to do to explore all the possibilities and behaviors of my current setup using both TB and an HDMI cable.

So far so good, the initial wake up refusal seems solved under Big Sur 11.1 and 11.2. :cool:
Fingers crossed!

PS: In hindsight the M1 Mac mini always woke up from sleep, it just didn’t wake up the LG display With only the Thunderbolt cable attached. As I have both types of cables I may as well put them to good use.
Very interesting information — and all the details on your setup, thanks for sharing. I like OWC products!

I shut the M1 down, connected the new USB-C cable from M1 to DisplayPort on LG monitor.after it restarted my monitor asked if I wanted to enable the new connection, the monitor automatically switched to the DisplayPort 1.4 setting from the 1.2 that I had it previously set on. I really can’t tell any major difference in display quality — still don’t have the HDR feature as I did using the USB-C to USB-C connection (with DisplayPort setting on 1.2) — it is waking from sleep just fine.

I don’t know what else to do to make sure I’m getting full functionality of my monitor — other than live with it and hope Apple releases some additional updates? I could take up with Apple support but I don’t think they have an idea what the fix should be from so many other posts on various forums — everything from replacing the M1 with the same issues still prevalent, to trying a number of different reinstalls or user setups, without a resolution — so there you have it!

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
However, I have 2 OWC TB Docks connected to the 2 M1 Mac mini Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports.
I noticed quite a delay for the LG monitor to power on when powering on the M1 Mac mini.
Sometimes the delay was too long, so the LG monitor was already off when the mini send its signal.

So, as the LG monitor/display came with a beautiful HDMI cable I decided to hook it up additionally.
LG monitor now reacts much faster and also wakes up from sleep every time so far.
Of course one still needs the TB cable to connect/power the 2 USB-A ports in the back of the LG monitor.

Having both TB and HDMI cable connected makes it easy to select one or the other to drive the display.
But I am using now the HDMI signal to drive the display as I know that wakes it up.

I still have more testing to do to explore all the possibilities and behaviors of my current setup using both TB and an HDMI cable.

So far so good, the initial wake up refusal seems solved under Big Sur 11.1 and 11.2. :cool:
Fingers crossed!

PS: In hindsight the M1 Mac mini always woke up from sleep, it just didn’t wake up the LG display With only the Thunderbolt cable attached. As I have both types of cables I may as well put them to good use.

Here is another tidbit of information.
The TB was driving the LG monitor when the system went to sleep.
Leaving the TB active wouldn't wake up the monitor/display.

All I had to do was to use the builtin LG monitor controls and switch the input signal from TB to HDMI. That immediately brought up the login password window and I was back in business by typing my password and hitting return.

Well, I can live with this minor annoyance until Apple gets around to fix this issue.
It seems my M1 Mac mini pretty much does what I like it to do.?
Notwithstanding a few quirks.

ClassicBud

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021

Fingers crossed!

When I check my LG it offers HDMI 1 &2, Display Port and USB-C, So, am I out of luck on the TB or am I missing something. I just bought the monitor so I'm wondering if mine is different or do I need something--software etc? Thanks

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
I‘ve got the M1 16GB/256 and LG 32UL950-W, how about you?

I’ve got M1 Mac mini 16GB/2TB and LG 38WN95C-W.
The monitor and M1 are hooked up with both a Thunderbolt 3 and an HDMI cable.
I set the monitor controls to select an HDMI port as input.
In my case I used the lower HDMI port.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
When I check my LG it offers HDMI 1 &2, Display Port and USB-C, So, am I out of luck on the TB or am I missing something. I just bought the monitor so I'm wondering if mine is different or do I need something--software etc? Thanks
I am assuming the USB-C is referring to TB — when I have mine connected USB-C to USB-C (using the supplied LG cable with the Thunderbolt symbol on it) the monitor shows the display type as “Thunderbolt”? I am assuming you’ve got the 32UL950 with an Mac Mini (or MacBook) M1?

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
I use USB-C and Thunderbolt / Thunderbolt 3 cable interchangeably.
Different from the Thunderbolt 2 cables for my late 2013 Mac Pro.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I use USB-C and Thunderbolt / Thunderbolt 3 cable interchangeably.
Different from the Thunderbolt 2 cables for my late 2013 Mac Pro.
You are right—I had the same 2013 Mac Pro that I traded in w/ Apple for the M1. It was just starting to have issues with the second graphics card (a known issue). I always refer to Thunderbolt as Thunderbolt 2 — now w/ USB—C and TB3 they are interchangeable—depending on the discussion.

Reactions: k-hawinkler

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks. I still have to update my LG software.
So I see there is a dual-controller and a OnScreen Control update for my LG display. Does your LG 27UL850w have other updates regarding the firmware in general? I haven't run any of these updates for my display, should I? I don't use dual screens -- but the OnScreen might be helpful.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
So I see there is a dual-controller and a OnScreen Control update for my LG display. Does your LG 27UL850w have other updates regarding the firmware in general? I haven't run any of these updates for my display, should I? I don't use dual screens -- but the OnScreen might be helpful.

Sorry, but I got the LG 38WN95C-W.
According to the user manual, there are 3 things to update.
IIRC 2 are recommended and one is optional.

ClassicBud

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Update: Yesterday; I was still having problems after updating my Mac OS and my LG software. So, I took my M1 Mini and the Magic keyboard to the local Apple store here in Spain. The verdict was that I need to order a new keyboard and they refunded what I paid for the one I bought here in November. They don't stock US keyboards- available in their online store. Mine was bad and no I can't touch type on a Spanish keyboard--stuff is everywhere-OMG.
THEY SAID I MIGHT STILL HAVE ISSUES WITH THE MONITOR, BUT TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER MAC OS 11.3 DROPs BEFORE COMING BACK FOR SERVICE. I guess there are known issues that will be addressed then.

Reactions: k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Update: Yesterday; I was still having problems after updating my Mac OS and my LG software. So, I took my M1 Mini and the Magic keyboard to the local Apple store here in Spain. The verdict was that I need to order a new keyboard and they refunded what I paid for the one I bought here in November. They don't stock US keyboards- available in their online store. Mine was bad and no I can't touch type on a Spanish keyboard--stuff is everywhere-OMG.
THEY SAID I MIGHT STILL HAVE ISSUES WITH THE MONITOR, BUT TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER MAC OS 11.3 DROPs BEFORE COMING BACK FOR SERVICE. I guess there are known issues that will be addressed then.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your setup.

While my M1 Mac mini was driving the LG 38WN95C-W display with HDMI I intentionally put the display to sleep. Moving the tethered mouse or hitting the space bar on the tethered keyboard didn’t wake it up until I went into the monitor built in display controls and switched the input signal from HDMI to Thunderbolt. Please not, both cables connect the display to the M1.

I also downloaded and installed the LG Mac software to control this very display I have. After reboot and firing up the control app it claims no monitor attached. Maybe that’s because the app is advertised to work for macOS 10.5.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the updated info -- I am hoping 11.3 will fix some of these additional display issues. Interesting thoughts regarding the keyboard -- hope it does solve your issues.

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the info and good luck with your setup.

While my M1 Mac mini was driving the LG 38WN95C-W display with HDMI I intentionally put the display to sleep. Moving the tethered mouse or hitting the space bar on the tethered keyboard didn’t wake it up until I went into the monitor built in display controls and switched the input signal from HDMI to Thunderbolt. Please not, both cables connect the display to the M1.

I also downloaded and installed the LG Mac software to control this very display I have. After reboot and firing up the control app it claims no monitor attached. Maybe that’s because the app is advertised to work for macOS 10.5.
I tried the LG OnScreen Control software yesterday and worked with it a little this morning. It doesn't seem to be all that great, and several of the options don't even work properly. I may just as well uninstall it -- I can't locate any firmware updates for my display, so I guess what I have is what I have -- I couldn't even see previous ones out there for this 32UL950-W monitor on LG's website.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Same here, no firmware updates for my monitor.
Well that’s great, so I don’t have to worry about potentially :cool: screwing up my gorgeous display.

Reactions: bdsmith63

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
I had this occur today. The XDR monitor (connected directly to a M1 Mac Mini via thunderbolt) would not wake up. I pulled the TB cable and reinserted it and that brought the monitor back to life.

BlazerinEDH

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
My silicon Mac Mini, OS 11.2, continues to fail to wake from sleep. It is connect to a Vizio monitor via HDMI. This has been a problem from day 1.

Volodymyr Shuvayev

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Experiencing an issue with Mac mini M1 16/256 & MSI PS341WU 5K2K (same panel as in 34" LG) here. Auto-detection of display worked only with HDMI cable, got low resolution; USB-C connection would work only after successful HDMI startup. Update to 11.3 beta made it ever worse: USB-C connection would be detected from 4th or 5th plug in (tried multiple cables and ports)

bdsmith63

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Experiencing an issue with Mac mini M1 16/256 & MSI PS341WU 5K2K (same panel as in 34" LG) here. Auto-detection of display worked only with HDMI cable, got low resolution; USB-C connection would work only after successful HDMI startup. Update to 11.3 beta made it ever worse: USB-C connection would be detected from 4th or 5th plug in (tried multiple cables and ports)
I was wondering what the 11.3 beta would bring, hopefully the issues will get resolved before a final release of 11.3. How long do the betas usually last before they release the final version?

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Yes, thought that this was fixed by 11.2 for a while, but no, still having to pull the TB3 cable (or reboot) occasionally. Bummer, can't believe that Apple considers this something that they don't need to fix ASAP. Not a kernel panic, but come on...

Reactions: bdsmith63

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
8gb/256 Mac min connected to a Samsung G9. 5120 x 1440 : 120 hz, USB C to Display Port 1.4. Works well in 11.2 besides the wake from sleep issues. Doesn't happen with same cable and monitor on my 16" MacBook Pro or Razer Blade 15 Hackintosh. With a second monitor connected via HDMI to HDMI the second monitor will wake although the USB c to display port won't until you unplug and plug it back in. Absolutely mind boggling, and so is sidecar not allowing my Apple TV or Netflix to work on my main monitors.

Think77

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Same here. Problem persists after upgrading to 11.2. Hugely disappointing. USB-C -> Belkin dual link dvi adapter -> Apple Cinema Display 30”. Display not waking up from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.