Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Just one more thought on ram in the context of future proofing. I don’t do any video editing but if in the future I take it up even as a hobby, I’d be glad I upgraded to 32gb. If you need something more sophisticated than iMovie, the free version of Davinci Resolve is very highly rated, but I doubt it runs properly in 16gb.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Just one more thought on ram in the context of future proofing. I don’t do any video editing but if in the future I take it up even as a hobby, I’d be glad I upgraded to 32gb. If you need something more sophisticated than iMovie, the free version of Davinci Resolve is very highly rated, but I doubt it runs properly in 16gb.

Davinci Resolve is miles better optimized for M1 Macs than Premiere. 16GB of RAM is enough for standard 4K video editing.

GoodGuy313

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Totally agree with the notion that people want the latest and greatest without realising that if they maintain what they have to a decent standard you can get a solid amount out of it. But then again Apple isn't Apple by convincing its customers to only replace its items every 5-10 years and F it if you want to upgrade to the latest go for it.
It’s common practice in the business I think, the latest software is always made with the newest product in mind. The previous hardware? Not so much but again, that’s just how it works. Although there was one iOS update that Apple made with older devices in mind after some complaints that newer software was throttling older iPhones.

Reactions: lobotomy

marian86

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Will be possible charge 8 cores version with external monitor via PD with 60W (LG 27UK850-W)? Original charger should have 67W and battery should have 70W.

But what about 10 core version which is delivered with 96W charger?

Do you know, if 8 cores version have some limitations? Like lower memory bandwitch or less possibility of connecting external monitors.

I think, that in 8 core version battery should hold longer, than in 10 cores version? What do you think?

Reactions: kitt9000

SimonQ

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
Some of the first real world reviews of even the M1 Pro base model are off the hook - scroll to 6:39 for some video rendering/editing malarky:

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Some of the first real world reviews of even the M1 Pro base model are off the hook - scroll to 6:39 for some video rendering/editing malarky:

It does show that it’s a great tool for 8k video editing, especially if that was on 16gb ram. But not strictly true that the 14 inch MBP is base, if it came with 96 watt adapter as she stated.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Will be possible charge 8 cores version with external monitor via PD with 60W (LG 27UK850-W)? Original charger should have 67W and battery should have 70W.

Do you know, if 8 cores version have some limitations? Like lower memory bandwitch or less possibility of connecting external monitors.

I think, that in 8 core version battery should hold longer, than in 10 cores version? What do you think?
No one knows for sure but why not just pay $20 for the 96w adapter? I do think it’s highly unlikely that there’s any difference between the base chip and the 10/16 core chip aside from number of cores, but I doubt it will affect battery life too much because cores that aren’t used shouldn’t use much power.

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
No one knows for sure but why not just pay $20 for the 96w adapter? I do think it’s highly unlikely that there’s any difference between the base chip and the 10/16 core chip aside from number of cores, but I doubt it will affect battery life too much because cores that aren’t used shouldn’t use much power.

I don't know why they bothered making the lower wattage charger for the price difference. I'm on the base an instantly upgraded that.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005

So, my 2019 16” MBP with has a 95W charger I think, charges with my Dell 32” USB-C monitor. I would think that a monitor that delivers this power over USB-c, should be able to power a 97w machine via the USB-C to MagSafe connection. Or, at least the USB-C connection.

IF you order the 10 core machine, you get the new 97W charger included in the upgrade from the 60W charger that is included with the 8 core model.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I don't know why they bothered making the lower wattage charger for the price difference. I'm on the base an instantly upgraded that.
$20 here and $20 there can add up to real money? But it’s cool that you have the choice to pass on it on the grounds that fast charging hurts the battery. For what it’s worth, if the battery life is just so so, then the 96w adapter is a no brainer I think. The one concession I’m making for battery health is not using the computer for the 30 minutes it’s charging.

Reactions: Vazor

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad

I wouldn't take it for free. It's just the same charger used in the intel 16" MBP (granted, I already have one of those) - prefer the smaller charger for packaging reasons for travel or to get a much smaller 3rd party 100w Gan charger.

Last edited:

Vazor

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2020
I actually didn’t want the fast charger at all as I value battery health a lot more. Never had any issues with slower charging. For phones it’s a different story.

drygioni

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
I actually didn’t want the fast charger at all as I value battery health a lot more. Never had any issues with slower charging. For phones it’s a different story.

Wow, wouldn't have expected so many people preferring the lower wattage! I tend to accept battery replacements as one of those things, my usage patterns are too chaotic.

Reactions: SilverWalker

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
This is an awesome post, thanks everyone for your input.

I am similar to the OP - lawyer working in Word, PDF and sometimes Excel, heaps of docs and Safari tabs open. I am also planning to make tracks with Ableton or Logic Pro. I am on a 2017 8GB 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 MBP and sometimes it can get occasionally very slow and the fan can also go nuts (though they are sometimes brought on kernel panics) where I have to restart the MBP to calm the farm. Just want to hammer tabs and docs and none of that malarky - just stay fast and cool. I have pulled the trigger on a 14 MBP base with 16 GB and 8 core M1 Pro but would hate to put all that cash down and end up in the same spot as the current MBP thinking "Damn! If only I had upgraded to...".

Would the base model with 2x RAM and way better CPU than I have now likely reduce those episodes and if not, what would you upgrade? I'm thinking that these slow downs are a RAM issue rather than CPU. I don't want to spend unnecessary flow just in case but at the same time, want it to be right.

Thanks

All of your document needs are bound by memory, so get 16 Gb of RAM. I think you might even be satisfied with the M1 MacBook Air. Any M1 has much better performance when it comes to using a lot of memory.

Have you considered buying the M1 MacBook Air or the 13" M1 MacBook Pro and try it out for 14 days and returning it to Apple if it's too slow?

About Logic Pro (and I assume Ableton also) it is bound by CPU, memory and disk speed. You have to do pretty heavy lifting in Logic Pro to need one of the new MacBook Pros.

If you are buying one of the new MacBook Pros you could consider bumping RAM to 32Gb. I think getting more CPU power is overkill, but it depends entirely on your Logic Pro work.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Ya makes sense - for me just trying to figure out more quantitatively if I even need the 32GB upgrade. Using Activity Monitor I hardly see my RAM physical memory usage spike above 12.5GB. I don't know enough about these things to be confident I'm interpreting the data correctly though.

The purpose of the OS is to use as much RAM as possible. If you have more RAM it will use more RAM. So if you see your Mac using all available memory it means macOS is doing its job and you can't from that single fact alone determine if you need more memory.

Look at the memory pressure in Activity Monitor. If it regularly gets yellow, you can consider buying more RAM for your next model.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
M1 Pro 8 core CPU
Geekbench 5 - 1750/9900
Cinebench R23 10min - 9500
Speedometer 2 - 265 pts

If you have some more questions I can answer them.
Is the 14"? I would be really interested in battery life over the next few days, maybe you can monitor a bit how long does it last and if it gets better over the course of the week.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: yitwail

uiterlix

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
M1 Pro 8 core CPU.
Geekbench 5 - 1750/9900
Speedometer 2 - 265 pts

It might be worth mentioning that this is CPU wise just a minor spec bump from the basic M1. Single-core performance is exactly the same, multicore only a tad higher.
Looking at the usage of the original OP I really don't see why you'd need a beasty pro machine with the M1 pro or even max for his usage. I'd say an entry level Macbook Air M1 is more than capable of handling the tasks described. You can buy these for €959,- here in the Netherlands, which is really a steal.
I wouldn't bother future proofing as you cannot predict what your future usage would be nor whether some spec bump would suffice for handling that unknown future usage. Yes, you could alway buy the most expensive model right now, but I reckon that as a student there are other bills to pay or goals to save for. You also run the risk of Apple releasing something better and prettier and hopefully less clunky in the coming years (which is not really a risk as that will happen), so why not keep the additional money in your wallet and save it for a replacement once you need it?

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
It might be worth mentioning that this is CPU wise just a minor spec bump from the basic M1. Single-core performance is exactly the same, multicore only a tad higher.
Looking at the usage of the original OP I really don't see why you'd need a beasty pro machine with the M1 pro or even max for his usage. I'd say an entry level Macbook Air M1 is more than capable of handling the tasks described. You can buy these for €959,- here in the Netherlands, which is really a steal.
I wouldn't bother future proofing as you cannot predict what your future usage would be nor whether some spec bump would suffice for handling that unknown future usage. Yes, you could alway buy the most expensive model right now, but I reckon that as a student there are other bills to pay or goals to save for. You also run the risk of Apple releasing something better and prettier and hopefully less clunky in the coming years (which is not really a risk as that will happen), so why not keep the additional money in your wallet and save it for a replacement once you need it?
Not disagreeing with your recommendation, but Geekbench Multicore score increase from reported 7382 for M1 to 9900 is roughly 29%. I think that’s more than a tad.

cambsnomac

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Hadn't seen this thread when I posted my question, but having thought the 10 core was a better bet than the 8 core i am not so sure. I want 1tb so it will be at least a month away. In UK so 1899 for that, 2099 for 1tb and 2399 for the 10 core. My 2013 is starting to show its age. Lightroom is ok but video in iMovie can be very slow.

I think when I can get a base MBP and base iPad air for around the same as 10 core thats a big difference!

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Hadn't seen this thread when I posted my question, but having thought the 10 core was a better bet than the 8 core i am not so sure. I want 1tb so it will be at least a month away. In UK so 1899 for that, 2099 for 1tb and 2399 for the 10 core. My 2013 is starting to show its age. Lightroom is ok but video in iMovie can be very slow.

I think when I can get a base MBP and base iPad air for around the same as 10 core thats a big difference!
When they release OS Monterey version with Universal Control, you’ll be able to drag files between the MacBook and iPad.

SimonQ

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
All of your document needs are bound by memory, so get 16 Gb of RAM. I think you might even be satisfied with the M1 MacBook Air. Any M1 has much better performance when it comes to using a lot of memory.

Have you considered buying the M1 MacBook Air or the 13" M1 MacBook Pro and try it out for 14 days and returning it to Apple if it's too slow?

About Logic Pro (and I assume Ableton also) it is bound by CPU, memory and disk speed. You have to do pretty heavy lifting in Logic Pro to need one of the new MacBook Pros.

If you are buying one of the new MacBook Pros you could consider bumping RAM to 32Gb. I think getting more CPU power is overkill, but it depends entirely on your Logic Pro work.
Thanks very much for this post, really appreciate it. You are right, the sensible thing is to go for the Air/M1. This is great advice that I should follow!

But I like some of the other features of the new MBP - esp the webcam. I am on video calls much day and the current webcam is sometimes not great in my low light office and the prospect of not needing an external webcam is tantalising! I also like the bigger screen and form factor.

So I have gone for base 14 plus 32 GB, as you suggest.

Thanks again.

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Is the 14"? I would be really interested in battery life over the next few days, maybe you can monitor a bit how long does it last and if it gets better over the course of the week.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, it is base 14". It was about 5-6 hours today with maximum brightness and downloading and installing apps.
I guess about 10+ hours with my use case. (Safari - many tabs, Chatting - Signal, Telegram, Chrome - 4K youtube, editing photos in Affinity Photo and in Photos app). I will monitor it and let you know.

I have to say, the display. It is really top! Like 11/10. I have never seen anything like it.
I did not hear the fans even when running Cinebench R23.
Audio is also great.
Keyboard feels better too. I love it. (And I loved MBA keyboard as well. But this one even more.)

Coming from M1 MBA 16/512/8cGPU.

Love the MBP 14".

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
M1 Pro 8 core CPU
Geekbench 5 - 1750/9900
Speedometer 2 - 265 pts

Same Cinebench r23 scores on my base 14" too. They craziest part is that the fans never even turned on, ha.

Hoping MacsFanControl gets updated soon to show the M1 Pro CPU temps.

Reactions: yitwail and souko

cambsnomac

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
In the end went for the 10 core - 300 more than i wanted to pay but better performance and could be doing a bit if 4k video in years to come, everything so fast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.