Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
It is basically the performance you had in iPads for a long time already. It is nothing new.
how long is "for a long time"?
the A12Z in the 2020 iPad Pro has a performance under sustained load in Cinebench more in the the half the speed of the M1 range. In Geekbench the differences are slightly less pronounced.
The M1 iPad Pros came after the MBA where the speeds should indeed be quite close for most things.

That's not to say that the A Series iPad CPUs were / are not great, but the whole experience is different, since the OS is way more restrictive and most apps are cut down in features too, compared to what you could get on "fully fledged computers"
Not that everything of these need to be necessary for everyone, but i'd call the OS and apps themselves more powerful as well.

Reactions: cjgrif

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Skip the M5. Too much chance it might be unstable and start destroying things and killing people.

*Now how many will get this?
I hear the M7 should be able to wirelessly connect to the Death Star. If you're into destroying planets that might be a useful feature

Reactions: Dnzilla

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
The M1 Air also throttled.
Here is the evidence:
View attachment 2033864

Compared to M2 Air's throttle:
View attachment 2033865
Last year not a lot of people notice or talk about the M1 Air's throttling due to the crazy gains from intel. But from here on out there will not be a jump like that again until Apple jumps to the next architecture, maybe RISC-V which is at least 10+ years away I think.
Ok cool. I didn't say it M1 MacBook Air didn't throttle. I said it wasn't seen as an issue. The perception is that the M2 Macbook Air throttles more in some way than the M1 Macbook Air.

I was just making the point that if the M1 had throttled more, than we WOULDN'T see it as a problem that the M2 does. Whether or not it is true, someone found a way to get people to think that the M2 throttles more (which I DO NOT see as a problem).

The point I was trying to make was to NOT compare the M1 and M2, but compare the M2 in the new design Macbook Air to what it would do in the old design. If it would throttle less, even a little less, in the old design, then people would see it as a step backward. BUT if the M1 had come out in the new design and throttled just as much, people WOULD NOT have seen it as a step back.

It is a good example of the anchoring bias.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

DavidChoux

Suspended
Jun 7, 2022
Thank you! That app is a good one! I will look into it.

Does your 2016 MBP not turn off turbo boost in low power mode in MacOS Monterey?

I tried the low power mode but still saw my CPU over 2GHz (base speed) so for some reason it doesn't work.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
how long is "for a long time"?
the A12Z in the 2020 iPad Pro has a performance under sustained load in Cinebench more in the the half the speed of the M1 range. In Geekbench the differences are slightly less pronounced.
The M1 iPad Pros came after the MBA where the speeds should indeed be quite close for most things.

That's not to say that the A Series iPad CPUs were / are not great, but the whole experience is different, since the OS is way more restrictive and most apps are cut down in features too, compared to what you could get on "fully fledged computers"
Not that everything of these need to be necessary for everyone, but i'd call the OS and apps themselves more powerful as well.

The M1 chip is basically the A14X. So we have had the "M1" chip for ages in the iPad.

The experience isn't different, people didn't notice a performance difference between the 2018 iPad Pro and the 2021 iPad, as it is simply the A12Z/X vs the A14X / M1.

It is only in "heavy tasks" such as gaming where the difference between the M1/A14X iPad Pro and the A12Z / A12X iPad started to show.

Basically what Apple did was put the iPad chip in the Mac.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
so someone was using a duo, or quad core PC for a long time, basically had a 64 core, or an Intel based supercomputer with 10.000s of CPUs, since they share the same technology?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
so someone was using a duo, or quad core PC for a long time, basically had a 64 core, or an Intel based supercomputer with 10.000s of CPUs, since they share the same technology?

The A12Z is a 8-core CPU with 4 efficiency cores and 4 high performance cores using the cores from the iPhone. Does that sound familiar to you?

It is why the M1 can be put in the iPad Air even, as it is basically the unreleased A14X.

Last edited:

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Got an M2 Macbook Air day 1. 16gb and 1TB. Thought I’d put it through its paces not with benchmark software, but with apps I’d actually run…
Office, Safari, Chrome, Photoshop, Keynote , Mail etc - didn’t even flinch running all.
Final Cut Pro, rendered a 4K 6 min vid, super quick compared to my old Intel mac. Yes it got hot and throttled slightly, but one thing I noticed is that once it finished rendering, it dissipated the heat VERY quickly, we’re talking seconds. I think Apple engineering knows what they’re doing!
My ultimate test was running a few games connected to an external monitor, it got hot pretty quickly, but I left it running for a good hour or so. Still peformed admirably and again dissipated the heat extremely quickly at the end and of the session.
One thing I did notice was the windowServer process seemed to grab 100% of the cpu after connecting an external monitor. Never seemed to relinquish the CPU until I restarted. This is a separate issue though, more macOS I believe.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Got an M2 Macbook Air day 1. 16gb and 1TB. Thought I’d put it through its paces not with benchmark software, but with apps I’d actually run…
Office, Safari, Chrome, Photoshop, Keynote , Mail etc - didn’t even flinch running all.
Final Cut Pro, rendered a 4K 6 min vid, super quick compared to my old Intel mac. Yes it got hot and throttled slightly, but one thing I noticed is that once it finished rendering, it dissipated the heat VERY quickly, we’re talking seconds. I think Apple engineering knows what they’re doing!
My ultimate test was running a few games connected to an external monitor, it got hot pretty quickly, but I left it running for a good hour or so. Still peformed admirably and again dissipated the heat extremely quickly at the end and of the session.
One thing I did notice was the windowServer process seemed to grab 100% of the cpu after connecting an external monitor. Never seemed to relinquish the CPU until I restarted. This is a separate issue though, more macOS I believe.
Can’t wait for my 16/1tb to show up. Overkill for my needs but wanted to treat myself with my first ever mac lol

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Is that Max Tech doing benchmarks again? Where is Rene and all the Apple defenders to stop these toxic benchmarks?

Oh wait, the M2 MBA looks good in these benchmarks, then I guess it is alright.
Not really. I only had time to watch the first half but it was pretty clear that he didn't really decide what he wanted to test. First it starts out as a battery test starting at 60% and in the XPS in the lowest power mode. Then he switches to the highest power mode. Then he notes that the performance of the Alder Lake SoC is limited when on battery. I don't know if eventually he tested with a power adapter but this was not a scientifically valid test. Choose your settings and stick with them. Then change things and try again. Then note the differences.

It's not better just because the MacBook Air is better on battery. Either do a single test or do something comprehensive but just randomly changing things isn't very helpful.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Not really. I only had time to watch the first half but it was pretty clear that he didn't really decide what he wanted to test. First it starts out as a battery test starting at 60% and in the XPS in the lowest power mode. Then he switches to the highest power mode. Then he notes that the performance of the Alder Lake SoC is limited when on battery. I don't know if eventually he tested with a power adapter but this was not a scientifically valid test. Choose your settings and stick with them. Then change things and try again. Then note the differences.

It's not better just because the MacBook Air is better on battery. Either do a single test or do something comprehensive but just randomly changing things isn't very helpful.
Maybe watch the entire video? The Xps died in the middle of the Geekbench compute test and he had to plug it in. The m2 still had 40% left. And he only briefly switched power modes to show the performance difference between the modes. The remainder of the test he had to run mostly plugged in since the battery was toast

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

They ran out of battery power on the XPS box so the remainder of the tests were done with the system plugged in.

Edit: Beated by @1BadManVan

Reactions: AlexMac89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.