Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golu14

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
looks like it's physics sadly ,it's almost exactly half the speed of double nand .SW won't fix that I'm afraid
maybe some optimization can bring it at least over 2000mbps

also can anyone test multithreaded sequential read/write speeds who have a 256gb m2 mbp?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Another reason to just buy the 14" MBP. Why the hell does the basic M2 MBP even exist?!?!
I've been asking this for at least a year but whenever I mention it I get crucified by touchbar fans.
It's still for sale because it's the second-best-selling Macbook.
It's the second-best-selling Macbook because it's the cheapest Macbook with Pro in the name.
These facts annoy touchbar fans because they live in an alternate universe where they think the majority of its purchasers buy it because of its touchbar.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
I am thankful to the group of people who are looking into these things and publishing with confidence the results. This won’t change anything with it’s install base of blind loyalist, though. They could add another $2k to the price of the slower machine, and you would have some people still buy it just for the Apple logo being displayed on the outer case…

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
maybe some optimization can bring it at least over 2000mbps

also can anyone test multithreaded sequential read/write speeds who have a 256gb m2 mbp?

The only "optimization" is the pads on the logic board look ready to accept another chip.

Maybe those skilled with a heatgun can add another chip on their own.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Of course they can. Do you seriously think Apple, well know for having the best supply chain management in the world, turns like the Titanic?

We’ve seen Apple move chips from iPad to feed iPhone. Late 2021 and early 2022 we saw iPads with 50-60 days lead time.

I remember those days. Extreme delays, just like what the M-flavoured MBPs suffered.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
M1 256GB was already slow. What used to take about half a day to reimage MacOS on M1 256GB will now probably take a whole day on M2 256GB.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Likely they have them in stock, and the few that make don't move enough chips to warrant delays.

Keep in mind it's not just iPhone SE or 11. This includes iPhone 12 and even iPad Pro - they all have a 128GB or 256GB configuration. Apple sells about 200 million iPhones per year and about 10% would be SE and 11. That's comparable to the entire Mac family of 20 million/year. We'd be seeing delays across all existing iMac, MacBook, Mac mini with 256GB storage, unless Apple secretly downgraded them all to a single chip.

47993-93760-iPhone-product-mix-xl.jpg

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Keep in mind it's not just iPhone SE or 11. This includes iPhone 12 and even iPad Pro - they all have a 128GB or 256GB configuration. Apple sells about 200 million iPhones per year and about 10% would be SE and 11. That's comparable to the entire Mac family of 20 million/year. We'd be seeing delays across all existing iMac, MacBook, Mac mini with 256GB storage, unless Apple secretly downgraded them all to a single chip.

View attachment 2023971
They might have to soon if there is an issue with 128GB chip production. However, as per devices that use 1 chip, they are priority. On bigger devices with space for two? Not so much as they can just slap 1 and ship the device at the cost of R/W performance.

However, my main theory is that:
  1. Apple has a small 128GB chip bottleneck and is trying to get these out the door
  2. The 256GB chips are now cheaper than 2x 128GB and hence reduce scrap due to missed solders of BGA.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They might have to soon if there is an issue with 128GB chip production. However, as per devices that use 1 chip, they are priority. On bigger devices with space for two? Not so much as they can just slap 1 and ship the device at the cost of R/W performance.

However, my main theory is that:
  1. Apple has a small 128GB chip bottleneck and is trying to get these out the door
  2. The 256GB chips are now cheaper than 2x 128GB and hence reduce scrap due to missed solders of BGA.

Personally, I don't see Apple compromising performance for earlier shipping time. They have priority in the supply chain. We've seen it happen for the past two years.

Most importantly, there is no evidence of any 128GB shortage. Western Digital has said the Kioxia incident is fully resolved and that it cost only $200 million.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Personally, I don't see Apple compromising performance for earlier shipping time. They have priority in the supply chain. We've seen it happen for the past two years.

Most importantly, there is no evidence of any 128GB shortage. Western Digital has said the Kioxia incident is fully resolved and that it cost only $200 million.
Yup, but the WD incident costed them something in the exabytes of chips. Unsure which were the ones affected.

I do see it in order to make it look as business as usual given their supply chain crunch with the 14/16 MBPs and the Mac Studios. They can only milk that excuse for so long during investor calls why they didn't hit the sales numbers intended.

mattyjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Los Angeles, CA

So what's your conclusion? Apple just hates its customers and did this on purpose? You're shooting down every hypothesis. What are we left with?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So what's your conclusion? Apple just hates its customers and did this on purpose? You're shooting down every hypothesis. What are we left with?

$

I'm not trying to shoot down every hypothesis, it's just what's the data to suggest a supply issue? Why wouldn't other JIT assembled devices like iPhone and Mac devices be affected? The Kioxia incident affected 6.5EB of supply, which represents only 3% of annual SSD shipments.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2022
I am thankful to the group of people who are looking into these things and publishing with confidence the results. This won’t change anything with it’s install base of blind loyalist, though. They could add another $2k to the price of the slower machine, and you would have some people still buy it just for the Apple logo being displayed on the outer case…
It's worth saving some people who don't blindly buy an Apple product.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
How often do you do reimage?

Enough to be a pain point since some apps only work with Monterey while others only with Big Sur, testing MacOS memory leak, testing when something new breaks, etc. For comparison, a clean install of Windows 10/11 takes about 15 minutes on a $500 Lenovo laptop with much faster storage.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Enough to be a pain point since some apps only work with Monterey while others only with Big Sur, testing MacOS memory leak, testing when something new breaks, etc. For comparison, a clean install of Windows 10/11 takes about 15 minutes on a $500 Lenovo laptop with much faster storage.
Alright, then it makes sense

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
15 minutes to get to setup, then (maybe) another 5 to get past the prompts.

Either way, it is true that clean installs of Windows are easily half (if not less) the time of macOS.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I've been asking this for at least a year but whenever I mention it I get crucified by touchbar fans.
It's still for sale because it's the second-best-selling Macbook.
It's the second-best-selling Macbook because it's the cheapest Macbook with Pro in the name.
These facts annoy touchbar fans because they live in an alternate universe where they think the majority of its purchasers buy it because of its touchbar.

The only people I know who bought a touchbar mac didn't know what an F key or a touchbar was. If anyone chose that turd I wonder about their mental health.

Reactions: MajorFubar

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
M1 256GB was already slow. What used to take about half a day to reimage MacOS on M1 256GB will now probably take a whole day on M2 256GB.
Actually not.

Keep in mind that what's halved is sequential transfers. Random speeds are closer and are much slower than sequential. Large sequential transfers are surprisingly rare, and when they do occur, transfer time often isn't the long pole in the tent anyway. If you have a process that takes say an hour on the older machine, it might take 10 minutes longer on the new. Even assuming pure sequential reading, it would take about a minute and a half to read the entire 256GB with the old SSD and 3 minutes with the new; so whatever you are doing that takes hours isn't just I/O unless it's a remarkably poorly written process.

Bottom line is that in real life you will be hard pressed to notice; and if you think you might be the exception, you are likely to be buying the larger SSD's anyway.

Reactions: Karut

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I mean this product as a whole doesn't make any sense and these problems will keep the 'enthusiasts' away from it as well. I suppose this is the 'cheap' model to sell to the people who want a 'Pro' Macbook just for the sake of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.