Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Yes, but you have to remember those kinds of tests are usually done in a controlled laboratory environment, those official tests are never done in real life scenarios. So, your mileage is almost always going to vary.
Is geekbench a flawed test?

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
No, it's not flawed. But, at the same time, it's not meant to show everyone exactly how every machine in that category will perform.
Gotcha, makes sense in your opinion is the better screen outweigh the weight difference? For both the I wouldn’t know the difference in speeds

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Gotcha, makes sense in your opinion is the better screen outweigh the weight difference? For both the I wouldn’t know the difference in speeds
Yeah, you're not gonna notice a difference in speeds.. these M-series chips are amazing. I'm 60 years old and I would lean more toward a better screen, but I'm 60 years old and nearsighted.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I heard that the m3 cpu is a bit faster from single core tasks it that also a big difference?
It is (ever-so-slightly) faster. The question is, whether you would actually notice the difference, as the M2Pro is already plenty fast to begin with. According to this website it's basically neck-to-neck on average.

Next year (or maybe towards the end of this year) there probably will be M4 MacBooks, which will be faster than the M3 again.

For your intended use case, probably even an M1 would be sufficiently fast.

Reactions: Iwavvns

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Yeah, you're not gonna notice a difference in speeds.. these M-series chips are amazing. I'm 60 years old and I would lean more toward a better screen, but I'm 60 years old and nearsighted.
its confusing it really is

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
It is (ever-so-slightly) faster. The question is, whether you would actually notice the difference, as the M2Pro is already plenty fast to begin with. According to this website it's basically neck-to-neck on average.

Next year (or maybe towards the end of this year) there probably will be M4 MacBooks, which will be faster than the M3 again.

For your intended use case, probably even an M1 would be sufficiently fast.
so in your opionion is the m3 macbook air or the m2 pro mac pro a better buy?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
its confusing it really is
No, it's not. You won't notice the speed difference of the CPU. The screen of the MBP will be noticeably better. SSD and Ram may both be faster (but again: Not noticeable in real life).

So it basically all boils down to screen and ports.

Go to an electronics store and compare both machines yourself. That may already be enough for you to make a clear decision.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
No, it's not. You won't notice the speed difference of the CPU. The screen of the MBP will be noticeably better. SSD and Ram may both be faster (but again: Not noticeable in real life).

Yeah, that's a very good point, I had forgotten that the pro machines have more ports. I would indeed be willing to spend $100 extra for a better screen and more ports.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024

Go to an electronics store and compare both machines yourself. That may already be enough for you to make a clear decision.
no i meant like its confusing like the decision overall not the cpu speeds

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
no i meant like its confusing like the decision overall not the cpu speeds
You can't make a mistake with either machine. In my opinion, the MacBook Pro is the better buy. It's designed for load (e.g. fans vs passive cooling on the Air).

Air is designed for low weight and low(ish) price, so needed to have some corners cut.

MBP is the better machine for comparable specs and similar price.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
You can't make a mistake with either machine. In my opinion, the MacBook Pro is the better buy. It's designed for load (e.g. fans vs passive cooling on the Air).

Air is designed for low weight and low(ish) price, so needed to have some corners cut.

MBP is the better machine for comparable specs and similar price.
I’m heading to the Apple Store just to get a feel for both of them

Zaydax333

macrumors regular
May 25, 2021
this is actually very good advice, my major is business analytics so nothing to crazy on the macbook so not editing or engineering; is the weight difference noticable between the 2? And im not planning on external displays
You said you're going to the apple store so that will give you the perspective you need on weight for sure. I don't have that experience to give advice on.

I personally am a computer engineer so from a purely hardware perspective in your two choices, the MBP is a much better buy. It's simply just more/better computer for the money. (display, compute, ports)

But based on your response here, you'd truly be fine with the Air. But depending on how much you use GeForce Now for gaming those fans for extended workloads might worth it. Like if you're playing for a couple hours at a time, fans will be good. Long zoom calls for business classes/meetings? fans will be good.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
You said you're going to the apple store so that will give you the perspective you need on weight for sure. I don't have that experience to give advice on.

I personally am a computer engineer so from a purely hardware perspective in your two choices, the MBP is a much better buy. It's simply just more/better computer for the money. (display, compute, ports)

But based on your response here, you'd truly be fine with the Air. But depending on how much you use GeForce Now for gaming those fans for extended workloads might worth it. Like if you're playing for a couple hours at a time, fans will be good. Long zoom calls for business classes/meetings? fans will be good.
The weight difference is decently noticeable and it’s also much thicker than I thought, but I will admit I put a hdr you’re video away and the difference was drastic. Also the Apple Store employees they would go with the MacBook Air bc the m3 is more powerful 😭

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Remember to look at the ports situation between those two machines. Some people hate dongles/attachments and the Pro has better functionality there.
I actually don’t mind dongles and the only attachment is a wire to charge the computer

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
The weight difference is decently noticeable and it’s also much thicker than I thought, but I will admit I put a hdr you’re video away and the difference was drastic. Also the Apple Store employees they would go with the MacBook Air bc the m3 is more powerful 😭
I’m not sure why they said the M3 is more powerful. Obviously single thread performance is better on M3, but for multi-core I think it is equivalent to M1 Pro. I would make your choice based off weight vs ports. Both are great options.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
I’m not sure why they said the M3 is more powerful. Obviously single thread performance is better on M3, but for multi-core I think it is equivalent to M1 Pro. I would make your choice based off weight vs ports. Both are great options.
I didn’t even know it has more ports like I don’t use any of the ports anyway, the only thing I ever plugged into the MacBook was the charger. It’s weight bs screen for me. Is the single core for the m3 worth it for tasks that I do, and is having a fan worse than no fan?

anthony8400

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
My two cents:
I always had MBP’s because they were more powerful than the non Pro ones.
I also had a 16” MBP M1 Pro - wonderful machine.
Then the 15” MBA got introduced and I was enamored.
A few months ago I sold my 16” and bought a 15” MBA with 512GB SSD and 24GB RAM from the US Apple Refurbished Store.
Did I notice that the screen pops less? Yes sure, when side by side. Once you start using it by itself, the 15” is great. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.
Do I miss the ports? I do not. I only use USB-C accessories, and for the odd cases I need something else I have a dongle at my disposal.
Do I miss the fans? I do not.
I’m a software implementation consultant and I run multiple browsers with multiple tabs in parallel with the whole Microsoft Office Suite and big Excel files.
Many Teams meetings and a Parallels Desktop instance and then some other programs.
I run it in clamshell mode connected to my Apple Studio Display.
Does it run hot? Actually it doesn’t - do I feel it’s warm? Yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.
To be honest, I was like you but I’m happy I made the switch. It’s such a fantastic device and it covers my needs more than adequately and then some.
Just follow your gut - don’t buy an overpowered machine if you don’t need it. Even if it’s only a bit more expensive. Buy what you need and what you’ll appreciate.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
My two cents:
I always had MBP’s because they were more powerful than the non Pro ones.
I also had a 16” MBP M1 Pro - wonderful machine.
Then the 15” MBA got introduced and I was enamored.
A few months ago I sold my 16” and bought a 15” MBA with 512GB SSD and 24GB RAM from the US Apple Refurbished Store.
Did I notice that the screen pops less? Yes sure, when side by side. Once you start using it by itself, the 15” is great. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.
Do I miss the ports? I do not. I only use USB-C accessories, and for the odd cases I need something else I have a dongle at my disposal.
Do I miss the fans? I do not.
I’m a software implementation consultant and I run multiple browsers with multiple tabs in parallel with the whole Microsoft Office Suite and big Excel files.
Many Teams meetings and a Parallels Desktop instance and then some other programs.
I run it in clamshell mode connected to my Apple Studio Display.
Does it run hot? Actually it doesn’t - do I feel it’s warm? Yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.
To be honest, I was like you but I’m happy I made the switch. It’s such a fantastic device and it covers my needs more than adequately and then some.
Just follow your gut - don’t buy an overpowered machine if you don’t need it. Even if it’s only a bit more expensive. Buy what you need and what you’ll appreciate.
For simple tasks am I gonna even notice a difference between the 2 cpus and gpus? And in real world situations is the screens basically the same

DaveEcc

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
  • Love
Reactions: PaperMag

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Doesn't matter which you get, it trounces your i3. Single core is faster than your old multicore. multicore is like 6x faster.

2020 i3 vs M2 Pro:

2020 i3 vs. M3 (? Mac 15,12)... doesn't matter all M3s are the same:

Single core:
i3 1242
m2 pro 2684
m3 3123

Multi:
i3 2185
m2 pro 14429
m3 12015
should i spend the extra 100 for the mini led screen?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
is the weight difference noticable?
I use a 16 MBP, I am used it to it. I have a 13 M2 MBA base model my family uses. Weight isn’t an issue for me. I travel a lot, my MBp goes in the bag, not a big deal. I personally feel MBP are built more sturdy, and MbA are delicate. If I was a student, I probably get MBP. As a student battery life can be pretty important, check how much battery you need. And screen is much nicer for watching videos on MBP.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
I use a 16 MBP, I am used it to it. I have a 13 M2 MBA base model my family uses. Weight isn’t an issue for me. I travel a lot, my MBp goes in the bag, not a big deal. I personally feel MBP are built more sturdy, and MbA are delicate. If I was a student, I probably get MBP. As a student battery life can be pretty important, check how much battery you need. And screen is much nicer for watching videos on MBP.
Im not doing anything crazy, alsois the fan noise a big deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.