Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Iirc the i7‘s GPU is ever so slightly clocked higher than the i5‘s (up to 1.2GHz vs. up to 1.1(5?)GHz).

Probably close to measure tolerance, but for that odd fringe use case and general peace of mind ... ;)

Reactions: Stephen.R

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It seems PS took their own road and is not prepared for the new HW. Hopefully they will optimize new versions.
I'm not overly surprised. They used to (maybe still do?) render a good chunk of their apps using embedded flash. Optimisation and efficiency don't ever seem to have been qualities found in abundance in Adobe software.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
It's really a big minus that Apple didn't release the Mac Mini with Radeon Pro Vega 16/20 as they'll do with the MBP this November.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
It's really a big minus that Apple didn't release the Mac Mini with Radeon Pro Vega 16/20 as they'll do with the MBP this November.
I'd like to see a lower priced, lower spec eGPU than the black magic. Something with same form factor as the mini, for around £300 would be ideal.

Reactions: Miat

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I'd like to see a lower priced, lower spec eGPU than the black magic. Something with same form factor as the mini, for around £300 would be ideal.
I would be surprised if there is not a market for a modest eGPU to go with the 2018 Mini. Plenty of people don't need gaming or pro video editing level graphics performance, but would still like to bump graphics a bit.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I would be surprised if there is not a market for a modest eGPU to go with the 2018 Mini. Plenty of people don't need gaming or pro video editing level graphics performance, but would still like to bump graphics a bit.

I'll be very surprised if someone doesn't make a couple of different stackable TB3 expansion cases for PCIe cards, and/or SATA/nvme drives. A half-length PCIe card should just fit 'flat' in the dimensions of the mini's footprint.

Reactions: Miat

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Does the new mini output a 4K 10-bit signal (to a capable 10-bit display) without the help of an external GPU? If yes, both on HDMI and DP?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I thought the built-in HDMI port being just ver. 2.0 not 2.0a means it cannot deal with HDR / 4:4:4? At least some users are reporting that to be the case when connecting the mini to a 4K TV via the port.

Pretty sure though, a dongle over TB3/USB-C will behave differently.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I thought the built-in HDMI port being just ver. 2.0 not 2.0a means it cannot deal with HDR / 4:4:4? At least some users are reporting that to be the case when connecting the mini to a 4K TV via the port.

Pretty sure though, a dongle over TB3/USB-C will behave differently.

It does need to be 2.0a or 2.0b. I use such an adapter with my MacBook Pro.

Check the system profiler to see if it is showing ARGB101010. macOS won’t output 10 bit unless connected to a 10 bit (or some 8 bit + FRC) compatible display.

Download 10 bit HDR videos from 4kmedia.org to verify the content displays correctly without banding.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
So 10-bit won't work on the new mini HMDI. I was going through the specs page and it did not mention anything more then hdmi 2. Bummer. Would have been nice to free up one of the TB3 ports.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
It does need to be 2.0a or 2.0b. I use such an adapter with my MacBook Pro.

Check the system profiler to see if it is showing ARGB101010. macOS won’t output 10 bit unless connected to a 10 bit (or some 8 bit + FRC) compatible display.

Download 10 bit HDR videos from 4kmedia.org to verify the content displays correctly without banding.
Small correction: system profile should say ARGB2101010 ((where the 2 stands for 2-bit alpha channel), I think.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Which is exactly why losing Iris Graphics (now Iris Plus) irks me to no end, it wasn't a gaming GPU but it still packs twice the performance of the ultra-basic UHD 630.

There are cheaper eGPUs like Sonnet's, it starts around $200, and you need to add another $100-150 for a card like a Geforce 1050 Ti ou Radeon 560 - but that's an additional expense on top of the storage issue (whether you're going with Apple's horrendously expensive storage options or an external drive solution), and everything else you may need.

The mini is no longer the cheap way in the OSX world, sadly.

Reactions: emulajavi and Miat

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
The mini is no longer the cheap way in the OSX world, sadly.

Depends on who is buying it. Mini was intended to bring PC converts. So if they bring their own monitor, keyboard, mouse and GPU then the overall cost isn't that much but the benefits are great - macos without hacking and 4 thunderbolt 3 ports which dont exist on any PC motherboard.
[doublepost=1542194607][/doublepost]
Thank you!

Any chance you can test HDMI as well? I know there's no chance, but still...

Cable must also support 2.0b remember that. Then you can confirm if Apple is using plain 2.0 or 2.0b.

Apple TV 4K spec page doesn't give detail about which HDMI version they are using.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Just saw that the monitor I'm getting (Samsung U32D970Q) only has hdmi 1.4 so I wouldn't take advantage of it. Anyway, would be nice to have this confirmed by someone.

10-bit 4K does happen via DP 1.2 though, right?

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
10-bit 4K does happen via DP 1.2 though, right?

Yes. In my case DP 1.2 with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. 4K 27" monitor.

Afaik UHD 630 only supports DP 1.2: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700b#Graphics

10 Bit.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nampramos

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Which is exactly why losing Iris Graphics (now Iris Plus) irks me to no end, it wasn't a gaming GPU but it still packs twice the performance of the ultra-basic UHD 630.
My understanding is that it is the trade off for choosing desktop CPU’s: As Intel assumes that the vast majority will add a dedicated GPU anyway in a desktop, they only put the bare necessity of iGPU in. And this is perfectly okay imho, as it seems to be capable to drive multiple high-res monitors at the same time for basic activities.

Users with demanding workflows will add a dedicated GPU anyway, so Iris Plus would be wasted in the desktop. Now Apple put this in a housing that solely allows for external dedicated GPU’s, which is more expensive, so users are unhappy. But if Apple chose to take a mobile CPU to get Iris Plus, people would have complained about the “lesser” CPU and would probably still be unhappy with even Iris Plus for demanding applications.

Plus, Apple has been burned multiple times with putting a dGPU in their anorexic housings, so this time they decided differently (and rightfully so, imho).

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I would describe it as a role problem. The iMacs popularity leaves so few headless options, there are only two infrequently updated models. And short of Apple making two mini models (or at least two mini mobos), that’s where it will stay.

Without other larger changes, the answer is making two basic models with as much built in performance and connectivity as possible. The new mini provides (half of) that. But the aftermarket needs time complete the picture.

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018

Any chance you can test HDMI as well? I know there's no chance, but still...

I dragged my Mini into the living room and connected it to my 2017 OLED:
upload_2018-11-14_13-20-25.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.