Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droidix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Anyone else having an issue connecting the HDMI port on their M1 mini to a monitor with only a DVI port?

The monitor in question is an Acer G235H (1080p) and I’m connecting with an HDMI to DVI adapter attached to the monitor. The monitor knows there is a connection (blue light), but all I get is a black screen.

The same cable and adapter works great with my MacBook Pro 2015 via HDMI port.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 6,002

Vancauwenberghe

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
The thing is I have same problems, I called apple support and the told me to send it back, so I did. Monday I will get a new one. Now I read on the forum (dutch) that there are problems , hdmi - dvi.
Usb-c dvi works fine they told me. Support laughed with me wen I told them that I taught it was for all mac mini M1 , for them it was a stand alone problem.

scodaba

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I'm having the exact same problem! I've tried it on two different monitors with the same failure. I even went and bought the official Apple HDMI to DVI adaptor and still am not able to get DVI output. When I connect the HDMI directly to my TV it works fine, however. Unfortunately, my monitors don't support HDMI so I need the adaptor to work. Vancauwenberghe, I hope you let us know if you continue to have this problem once you get your new M1!

duganj

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Bend, OR
Same problem here. I tried two different older 1080p monitors with DVI inputs using two different HDMI to DVI cables, no go on all. Errors on the monitor that refresh rate or similar was incorrect. Grabbed a different Samsung small TV/Monitor T24C550ND with HDMI inputs and straight HDMI cable and all was well.

After I had this monitor working and did initial setup I tried switching back to the DVI monitors with no luck.

FWIW this was all on Big Sur 11.0, just doing the 11.0.1 update now and can retest, just to see if that might do anything.

Reactions: Ocnetgeek

droidix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I ordered a cheap USB C to DVI adapter on Amazon and I’ll report back on how that works (should be here in a day or two).

ataricrypt

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
England
Same here :/
After many years I've finally upgraded from my basic OLD Mac Mini (2014). This uses an Asus VS247N monitor at 1920x1080 via DVI - using an official Apple HDMI-DVI adaptor. It's been a good friend over the years but is dead slow and I needed better...

So, I got the Mac Mini M1 this morning (stock 8GB/512GB HDD) but it doesn't display a thing. Right at the start, the monitor flashes with an out of sync message (for a moment) and then blank screens on me. I tried the new Mac Mini downstairs on the TV - direct via HDMI - and it worked fine. I don't get it!

fwiw, I've also ordered a USB C > DVI adaptor from Amazon which I'm hoping will be here soon!

I'm not that technical with hardware tbh so I'm wondering why this is happening. If the USB C cable also fails then I'm stuck with no other option other than to buy a "cheap" 4K monitor for a couple of hundred quid of eBay? Money I don't have. Bit gutted! :(

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 603
Sep 27, 2005
I could be wrong, but I think that adapter you have plugged into your monitor is meant to convert DVI output to HDMI input, not the other way around. Many adapters are one-way. When you see an adapter, the name is exactly the direction it is meant to be used in. Those little adapters like you have were meant to be plugged into a video card that only has DVI and convert it to HDMI to connect to a HDMI monitor.

With that said, I am trying to connect to a WQHD DVI monitor (I've had forever, but is 27" and is a beautiful screen), but the DVI port on the monitor is called Dual Link DVI (because the 2560x1440 is outside the standard DVI spec). I bought a USB-C to DVI adapter that said it was good up to 4K, but it didn't work. The M1 Mini saw the monitor correctly, but only a black screen. Same on a 2020 MBP (Intel) so not an M1 issue.

scodaba

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Thanks for the replies! I ordered a cheap USB C to DVI adapter on Amazon and I’ll report back on how that works (should be here in a day or two).
A USB-C to DVI adaptor works fine for me, but I'd like to connect two monitors, which I believe requires me to run one from the USB-C port and one with the HDMI. I'm on 11.0.1 as well. I really hope there's a software update coming to fix this! I don't think I've seen any reports yet from anyone who has successfully gotten an HDMI to DVI connection to work.

Last edited:

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Anyone else having an issue connecting the HDMI port on their M1 mini to a monitor with only a DVI port?

The monitor in question is an Acer G235H (1080p) and I’m connecting with an HDMI to DVI adapter attached to the monitor. The monitor knows there is a connection (blue light), but all I get is a black screen.

The same cable and adapter works great with my MacBook Pro 2015 via HDMI port.
I had a similar problem with my MBP16 and a Dell monitor. I think it was the HDMI to DVI adapter because it disappeared when I used a different cable without the adapter. The adapter did work with other devices, so something may have changed with the protocol? Maybe an earlier version of HDMI works but not the current one?

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Having the same issue with HDMI on my Mac mini M1. I can connect one Monitor using the Display Port on my CalDigit Dock with no issue. Connecting the 2nd Monitor using HDMI does not work. I constantly get the message that it cannot display this video mode. There is no issue with the Monitor but I don't have a monitor with an HDMI input.

Reactions: Jimmy James

ataricrypt

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
England
My USB-C > DVI adaptor arrived and all works as expected. #HAPPY
In fact, I'm sure the display is better than it was on the older Mini!

scodaba

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I've been looking into this some more and I'm less hopeful there will be a software update to get HDMI to DVI working for me. I'm now thinking it's because the mini's HDMI port is sending the signal with HDCP enabled, something that's not supported on my older monitor. Possible solutions could be to get a HDMI to VGA adaptor, or get one of the HDMI splitters that end up stripping the HDCP. However, I've now convinced myself that it's time for a new UltraWide monitor anyway so I think that's going to be my "solution" ;)

kayrjay

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Have a new Mac mini M1, and the same problem as above with an old Acer g276h monitorl, but it works with a 2005 Dell 2405FPW. Instead of an HDMI-DVI adapter, I happened to have a cable with HDMI on one end, and DVI on the other. So, the moral of the story seems to be that everything depends on the cable, the adapter and the monitor you're using. Good luck, all!

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
I am still having issues getting a second monitor working on my M1 Mac mini using the HDMI Port. I have tried both the Apple HDMI/DVI Adapter as well as a Cables Matters HDMI to DVI Cable and I get the same result. I have a case open with Apple support and am waiting for another update tomorrow. Have had two sessions with Apple Support to gather information for them to debug the issue.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Direct HDMI to DVI cable connecting to a Dell U2412M monitor, zero problems, sleeps and wakes up just fine.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Direct HDMI to DVI cable connecting to a Dell U2412M monitor, zero problems, sleeps and wakes up just fine.

I received feedback from Apple on my problem that it is a known error with some Macs. I am going to meet with Apple Support again this afternoon as they told me there is a display plist that we can try to reset to see if it resolves the issue. If that does not resolve it thy are working on a fix that will be included in a future incremental software update

BjoernInTheSeventies

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
.... same issue here connecting a new Mac Mini 2020 (M1) to an older HP LP2065 or HP LP2465. Display is recognised but stays black. Tried a HDMI to DVI cable and also a DVI-DVI cable with HDMI-DVI adapter. No changes.
The Mac Mini 2012 that is being replaced drives both displays with no issues.

.... another cable (DVI-HDMI) arriving tomorrow but my expectation that this will resolve the issue are low.

Any update or hints how to resolve this are greatly appreciated.

Glass half full perspective -> a reason to buy two new screens ;)

Reactions: redfold

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
.... same issue here connecting a new Mac Mini 2020 (M1) to an older HP LP2065 or HP LP2465. Display is recognised but stays black. Tried a HDMI to DVI cable and also a DVI-DVI cable with HDMI-DVI adapter. No changes.
The Mac Mini 2012 that is being replaced drives both displays with no issues.

.... another cable (DVI-HDMI) arriving tomorrow but my expectation that this will resolve the issue are low.

Any update or hints how to resolve this are greatly appreciated.

Glass half full perspective -> a reason to buy two new screens ;)
Last I heard was that they are working on a fix but no ETA on what release it will be in. Just told me to keep my system up to date. On the bright side I found an older Cables Matters USB3 to HDMI Displaylink adapter that I tried and that is working fine so once Apple fixes their issue I will be able to connect all three of my older monitors to this Mac mini.

BjoernInTheSeventies

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
Last I heard was that they are working on a fix but no ETA on what release it will be in. Just told me to keep my system up to date. On the bright side I found an older Cables Matters USB3 to HDMI Displaylink adapter that I tried and that is working fine so once Apple fixes their issue I will be able to connect all three of my older monitors to this Mac mini.

Thanks for the quick update!

I'll stay tuned and will postpone replacing the displays for now.

... forgot to add, my cheap USB3->DVI cable "makes both displays work" .... however of course not at the same time.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Thanks for the quick update!

I'll stay tuned and will postpone replacing the displays for now.

... forgot to add, my cheap USB3->DVI cable "makes both displays work" .... however of course not at the same time.
Right. I know the issue is the HDMI port on my Mac. When I move Cables to another Monitor I have the same issue. And I have tried both a Cables Matter HDMI-DVI Cable and an Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter and get the same result

HoboFlo

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Confirmed exact same issue for me as well. Just got my M1 Mac Mini today. I've tried both a DVI cable with an HDMI adapter, as well as a straight HDMI to DVI cable, with two different monitors. On one monitor I get static, on the other I get "this format is not supported".

Thankfully I bought a USB-C hub that includes an HDMI output port, and the monitors work when I plug them into that port.

Would be great if they could roll out a software update that fixes this, but until then it looks like I'm buying another USB-C adapter, because I need 2 monitors for my job.

BjoernInTheSeventies

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
(...)

Thankfully I bought a USB-C hub that includes an HDMI output port, and the monitors work when I plug them into that port.

Would be great if they could roll out a software update that fixes this, but until then it looks like I'm buying another USB-C adapter, because I need 2 monitors for my job.

Interesting info and possible workaround.
Could you elaborate on this a bit further (USB-C Hub model and setup).

You are driving both monitors via the hub then or one from the Mac's genuine USB-C Port (via USB-C -> DVI Cable) and the other monitor via the hub?

(My displays are old but trusted and there is currently no strong reason for new ones.
..... well they are not that bright anymore I suppose bit still crisp.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.