Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The USB-C to DVI adapter arrived today and the monitor now works great.
I got one of those, and it kept waking the monitor up from sleep enough to complain that it had no signal.
Very annoying.
Spend the few extra bucks on this. Problem is gone. It is worth it.

rlyacht

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2018
@droidx and others, which specific DVI to USB-C adaptor did you get? I'd like to eliminate the chance that I get one that might not work. My situation is identical to some other posters on this thread: I just received a new M1 mini to replace my 2014 mini. I've been using two HP LP2465 monitors, with a DVI to HDMI cable. On the new mini, when I connect the same cable to the HDMI it doesn't sync up and I get a corrupted display. If I plug into a TV monitor it works ok. I don't really want to buy new monitors - even if these are uncool and old.

It sounds like before I send it back, I should try DVI -> USB-C. Ideally I'd find an adaptor that takes two DVI and connects to one USB-C, but whatever. I'd really appreciate any concrete recommendations; otherwise I'll just get some familiar brand and hope ...

Last edited:

rlyacht

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2018
I'm thinking of sending it back and buying a 2018 refurb. Could I be confident that my beloved hp lp2465 monitors will work? I'd connect one to hdmi, the other to usb c using an hdmi to usbc adaptor.

nanosaur

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
I'm thinking of sending it back and buying a 2018 refurb. Could I be confident that my beloved hp lp2465 monitors will work? I'd connect one to hdmi, the other to usb c using an hdmi to usbc adaptor.
Not sure, I have a 2018 that has exactly the same issue with an old Dell monitor that my 2020 mini does, I tried 2 different brand bi-directional hdmi -> dvi cables that work fine with the PC.

I suppose if you get the refurb from apple they’re really good about returns if you have the same issue?

rlyacht

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2018
Not sure, I have a 2018 that has exactly the same issue with an old Dell monitor that my 2020 mini does, I tried 2 different brand bi-directional hdmi -> dvi cables that work fine with the PC.

I suppose if you get the refurb from apple they’re really good about returns if you have the same issue?
I wondered about that. But I think I'm going to just send it back and keep using my old mini. It may sound stupid, but I have a bunch of these old HP monitors and I don't want to spend the money on two new monitors, to say nothing of fiddling around with resolutions, font sizes, making sure it all works with my remote access to work, etc. My key reason for not using linux is that I don't want to do any of that stuff anymore! I also had a disappointing chat with Apple support, which was like talking to a generic support droid, not the high quality I've come to expect. At the start, I was unsure whether it was a bot or a human, but I didn't want to be rude and ask. The dialog was something like this:

support: Hi, my name is support, how may I help you today?
rlyacht: Hi support, I have two older HP monitors (link). I can't get to work with my new M1 Mini. I tried blah, blah and blah.
# long pause
support: And how are you today?
rlyacht: Fine, how about you? Did you see my issue?
support: I'm fine thanks for asking
# long pause
rlyacht:
what do you think?
support: did you check with manufacturer of your monitor?
support: Maybe the monitor only supports analog signals
rlyacht: I guess I'll post something on macrumors or reddit and if I can't resolve it, I'll return it. Bye,
support: I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction

samdeane

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
I encountered this problem yesterday.

Interestingly, whilst HDMI -> DVI (via an adapter) didn't work, USB-C -> HDMI -> DVI (via *two* adapters) did!

Obviously a USB-C -> DVI cable would make more sense, but I happened to have both adapters hanging around so I thought I'd give it a go.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I kept my HDMI->DVI monitor hookup up during an upgrade. Part way through it works fine showing the Apple logo and the progress bar. It gives me hope but then it goes awry again.

This is showing me that the physical interface is fine. It is a software/firmware bug that they simple don't have enough complaints about to address.

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Not an HDMI to DVI-D solution, but I did get my 30" Apple Cinema Display (ACD) working on my M1 MacBook Air. I used this adapter and plugged it into one of the two MBA TB4 ports and it works pretty well. My only complaint is that the MBA loses track of the settings of the display when I unplug it for a while and then plug it back into my ACD.

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Has anyone tested a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and confirmed it works?
I have a Plugable brand USB-C to DP cable that I got from my workplace and it works fine on my Dell 27" 2560x1440 monitor. I'm using it on my MBA M1.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
I was able to connect my MBA M1 to my 30" Apple Cinema Display using this adapter from Amazon. The only drawbacks were:
1. Have to hold down the option key while choosing a scaled resolution.
2. MBA would not remember the monitor arrangement and the monitor resolution sometimes when I would re-attach the display.

1620925767039.png

redfold

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2021
.... same issue here connecting a new Mac Mini 2020 (M1) to an older HP LP2065 or HP LP2465. Display is recognised but stays black. Tried a HDMI to DVI cable and also a DVI-DVI cable with HDMI-DVI adapter. No changes.
The Mac Mini 2012 that is being replaced drives both displays with no issues.

.... another cable (DVI-HDMI) arriving tomorrow but my expectation that this will resolve the issue are low.

Any update or hints how to resolve this are greatly appreciated.

Glass half full perspective -> a reason to buy two new screens ;)
I am wondering if your issue with the HP LP2065 monitor from Mac Mini M1 has a solution or not, thanks!

rlyacht

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2018
BTW, I gave up on this and returned my M1. Then I bought two ASUS P2217H, which I'm using with a linux box. Eventually I will get another M1. This was quite disappointing to me. OTOH those Dell monitors are *nice*.

Last edited:

Hunterian

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2021
Have a new Mac mini M1, and the same problem as above with an old Acer g276h monitorl, but it works with a 2005 Dell 2405FPW. Instead of an HDMI-DVI adapter, I happened to have a cable with HDMI on one end, and DVI on the other. So, the moral of the story seems to be that everything depends on the cable, the adapter and the monitor you're using. Good luck, all!
I'd also like to attach an M1 Mini to a Dell 2405FPW, do you happen to know/recall which cable worked? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.