Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
That's basically why I asked what I asked; because my first thought was that there's something preventing your computer from actually sleeping.

So the usual suspects are that the computer doesn't go to sleep automatically, that it wakes up for network access or for power nap-features.

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
I installed Big Sur importing user from time machine.
I'll try to create a new use now, importing the apps only,
let you know how it goes

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Ok, as you may see by my ex posts I used to lose half battery life in allegedly sleep mode on this MacBook Air (restored from time machine backup). I tried to uninstall Chrome (which I frankly don't think was responsible for it), and I more importantly started a new Mac OS user and transferred there all my apps from the old one.
It seemed to do the trick. MacBook Air now lost 0% of battery life during 5 hrs of sleep (I put it into sleep manually before closing the lid as you suggested).

Reactions: svanstrom

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I have a sleep drain problem with this. It drains ~25% during 24 hours when lid closed. I contacted Apple support but they couldn't do anything. It seems the problem occurs with M1 chip.

If that was true, I'd have to charge my MBP more often than once a week.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Ok, as you may see by my ex posts I used to lose half battery life in allegedly sleep mode on this MacBook Air (restored from time machine backup). I tried to uninstall Chrome (which I frankly don't think was responsible for it), and I more importantly started a new Mac OS user and transferred there all my apps from the old one.
It seemed to do the trick. MacBook Air now lost 0% of battery life during 5 hrs of sleep (I put it into sleep manually before closing the lid as you suggested).

Chrome is a known battery killer on the M1, mainly because of its background updater that seems to ignore its own settings. That's why a lot of Mac users switched from Chrome to either Microsoft Edge or Brave - same core engine as Chrome, but without the hit on battery life.

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Chrome is a known battery killer on the M1, mainly because of its background updater that seems to ignore its own settings. That's why a lot of Mac users switched from Chrome to either Microsoft Edge or Brave - same core engine as Chrome, but without the hit on battery life.

0% of battery drain after 20 hrs of closed lid (sleeping).
I'll try reinstalling chrome now (M1 version of course).

Last edited:

blacksinatra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
So update!

I got a new M1 MBA and the battery difference is much better!

Regular light Browsing for with 1 nit under half brightness I got 6 hours with 60% still left. This is with 8 Tabs open in Safari, doing Powerpoint and a Hour of Zoom.

blacksinatra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
With my last laptop it was hanging around 95-97% and I only had It for a couple weeks with maybe 10 cycles

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
zero battery consumption after 20 hrs of sleep (with chrome reinstalled)

Reactions: mi7chy and Zazoh

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
After few days of normality my MacBook Air started again to drain in sleep mode,
from 79 to 67 percent during the night is quite a lot.
In Activity Monitor I could see that apps like Boom where preventing Mac to sleep.
So I quitted Boom (a sound equaliser app) and tried again.
Uselessly. I maybe should uninstall it?
Are you guys still experiencing drain?
I don't know what to try anymore.

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
I believe that this MacBook Air does go to sleep, as I don't see him appear on my Mac Mini finder.
The problem is that, maybe, his sleep is not persistent. It maybe wakes up from time to time.

shornby

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I have a Macbook Pro M1. MacOs Big Sur 11.2.1. Every night the Mac would lose about 1% battery every hour. I tried all the recommended steps - changing pmset settings, changing power settings in System Preferences, change bluetooth wake settings, etc. but nothing changed. I used the migration assistant so there were leftover pieces from my previous Mac.

Viewing "pmset -g log" showed total Sleep/Wakes since boot at over 1000 in just a few hours of device sleep!!

Sooooo...
I went into:
/Library/Preferences/Launch Agents/
and
/Library/Preferences/Launch Daemons/
and moved out all the old third party .plist files, then did the same for
/Users/myuser/Library/Preferences/Launch Agents/ .
Basically all that remained was files from 2020 or 2021. Then I rebooted.

So far, I have had zero Sleep/Wake events during sleep. Battery life is stable during sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

shornby

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
This is good evidence for my superstitious belief in always setting up a device as new. ?
I firmly believe that it should be possible to migrate my old settings - assuming I pull my hair out to resolve annoyances for a few days!! And by the way - this problem could easily return with one crap app that installs a bad system wake!

hunkster

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2020
I went into:
/Library/Preferences/Launch Agents/
and
/Library/Preferences/Launch Daemons/
and moved out all the old third party .plist files, then did the same for
/Users/myuser/Library/Preferences/Launch Agents/ .
Basically all that remained was files from 2020 or 2021. Then I rebooted.

So far, I have had zero Sleep/Wake events during sleep. Battery life is stable during sleep.
Mine is set up as new. On rare nights, I lose about 1-2% battery. Most nights I lose 6-7%, if I close all the running apps.

shornby

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Nope. I don't have Chrome installed, and have closed all running apps.
Ok. I have noticed that the keystone plist files in launch agents and launch daemons seem to cause excessive wake events. But on a vanilla system it’s really odd.

What do you see for the sleep/wake count with:
pmset -g log

I really think that wake events are at the center of this issue. And it seems like they occur because of plist/config files in the folders I mentioned above.

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Ok. I have noticed that the keystone plist files in launch agents and launch daemons seem to cause excessive wake events. But on a vanilla system it’s really odd.

What do you see for the sleep/wake count with:
pmset -g log

I really think that wake events are at the center of this issue. And it seems like they occur because of plist/config files in the folders I mentioned above.

I am not sure how to read it but mine says:
Total Sleep/Wakes since boot at 2021-02-14 13:29:44 +0100 :8033

I have put it to sleep 12 hrs ago and it lost 1 percent per hour. Don't know how many times it woke during this time but the log file that Terminal displays is huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.