Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matkovsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Budapest, Hungary

Waiting for the moderators… ? ? ?

1609237065340.png

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I’ve got posts all over this forum about ram. Plenty for me, software developer who remotes into work on VM Ware Horizon client, simultaneously using Zoom, Safari, other Mac Apps and my Memory pressure graph has been green and a flatline on about 1/4 of the scale, which is 2 GB. with iPad as sidecar and connected to a 4K external LG monitor.

Now, in about 10 min someone is going to come behind me and say they can’t open the lid and sign in without 32 GB of ram, one for every sticker on the MacBook and they want to future proof for the next 10 years years. But, Apple is a trillion dollar company who’s base models are more than enough for the masses. (They know what they are doing)

Yes there are cases where some need more capabilities and one can configure a $50k Pro, but those users are in the 1000s not millions category.

I’ve always bought base, 4 in my family so every purchase at some point becomes x4. None of us have any complaints.
Well put. Also, 4x base Mac mini's producing 4x videos at the same time will be faster than a $15,000 Mac Pro exporting 4 videos.

Reactions: Zazoh

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
Ok - that looks good.

For me it's:
"AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 4184
"DesignCapacity" = 4382

Now after 11 cycles = only ~95% health (not good)
"AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 4311
"DesignCapacity" = 4382
"CycleCount" = 4

If that's true, my battery already came with worse capacity than it should, am I seeing this right? If that's the case I would send it back immediately.

Galius

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Hi all, a quick update as promised, the computer was completely reset by Apple at the Geneva Apple store and they ran all the diagnostics they possibly could, they had a great communication and were very competent. But in the end they did not find the issue... 9% of battery was gone in 5 hours. So now I am in a very annoying spot where Apple is suggesting a repair (15 days for a laptop I never used!!)... but I want a new one I will not settle for less. I’ll keep you posted, I will pick the fight with the premium reseller in parallel...

guys one advice: always buy from Apple directly, this would have been solved a long time ago if I did.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
"AppleRawMaxCapacity" = 4311
"DesignCapacity" = 4382
"CycleCount" = 4

If that's true, my battery already came with worse capacity than it should, am I seeing this right? If that's the case I would send it back immediately.
If you go into System Information | Power you will see 100%, I've had my MaxCapacity change various readings but Sys info always reports 100%

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
If you go into System Information | Power you will see 100%, I've had my MaxCapacity change various readings but Sys info always reports 100%
This shows me 100%. Ok, I understand that a 3rd party app like coconut may have some false numbers, but the terminal should give me the correct numbers... it seems that coconut gets is data from the same source as terminal ioreg input... strange

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
This shows me 100%. Ok, I understand that a 3rd party app like coconut may have some false numbers, but the terminal should give me the correct numbers... it seems that coconut gets is data from the same source as terminal ioreg input... strange
There is no documentation on what the values actually mean from ioreg. I'm sure Apple expects variance and has a weighted scale (threshold) to determine health.

Reactions: johnkree

matkovsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Have you turned off iCloud services?

Also try shutting down (not restarting) your gf's MBA for 30 seconds & powering it back on again. Although I suspect you might have done this already?
I'll try it with iCloud stuff turned off tonight.

I did in fact tried the shutdown-and-wait method before, but it did not fix the problem. Granted, I was not turning off iCloud. Will do tonight!

(But, of course, this should all just point us toward a bug/flaw somewhere, right? What if it turns out iCloud is the problem? She obviously cannot use her laptop with all the bells and whistles disabled. ? )

KShopper

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
So my M1 MBA has been generally fine with regard to overnight battery usage while sleeping. Maybe 2-3%. The other night it used about 20% though and the only difference I could identify was that I had our RingCentral VOIP application running. No idea if that was the problem but the next night I killed it before sleeping and back to normal low - none battery usage overnight.

I'll try leaving it running again tonight to see if the problem comes back.

matkovsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Hi all, a quick update as promised, the computer was completely reset by Apple at the Geneva Apple store and they ran all the diagnostics they possibly could, they had a great communication and were very competent. But in the end they did not find the issue... 9% of battery was gone in 5 hours. So now I am in a very annoying spot where Apple is suggesting a repair (15 days for a laptop I never used!!)... but I want a new one I will not settle for less. I’ll keep you posted, I will pick the fight with the premium reseller in parallel...

guys one advice: always buy from Apple directly, this would have been solved a long time ago if I did.
:(

I'm sorry to hear this. Shouldn't the official Apple Service Provider / Apple Store just replace your laptop, when you leave there for a day or so? I guess COVID complicated things nowadays, but I assume you've been to the Apple Store (physically :D) and told them that the issue is present from the beginning… so they should treat this as a DOA (dead on arrival) machine, not as a servisable issue.

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015

I wouldn't want repairs on a new laptop either. Fight for a new one.

Reactions: Galius

Galius

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Wasn’t purchased at the Apple store, that’s the problem. I raised the issue at the Apple store because the Apple hotline sent me there, they are in the best place to acknowledge the issue and also because the reseller did not handle this well... they told me we “we see the issue but we can’t do anything about it, we could keep it but if there is no error in the system diagnostic we assume it’s software, Apple won’t accept the return” i.e. they shamelessly put the blame on Apple.
Finally one important detail Swiss law does not have any right for a consumer to return goods after 15 days, Apple does it, as their policy but for other shops it’s purely at their goodwill to accept a return ?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'm experiencing battery drain on mine, about 20% per night. I have a ubikey attached so I found some terminal commands online to see if I can stop that from drawing power when the lid is shut. I've shut off the 'wake devices by bluetooth', shut off wake for network access etc. Still having some issues which is a little frustrating!

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
I have a theory based on an intel MBP user's comment in one of the threads & my experience with my new M1 MBP. It is likely that the battery drain is being falsely displayed/reported MacBooks. In my case I see false charge percentage, which the MBP changes as soon as it is restarted. Based on this I think people facing unusual drain should try turning off "Optimised Battery Charging", shutdown 30 seconds, power it on, & then fully charge their MacBooks. You should then let it sleep overnight & observe the drain.

Last edited:

matkovsky

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
I'll try it with iCloud stuff turned off tonight.

I did in fact tried the shutdown-and-wait method before, but it did not fix the problem. Granted, I was not turning off iCloud. Will do tonight!

(But, of course, this should all just point us toward a bug/flaw somewhere, right? What if it turns out iCloud is the problem? She obviously cannot use her laptop with all the bells and whistles disabled. ? )
I've tried, no luck. :(

This is iCloud, Bluetooth and WiFi disabled:

IMG_2450.png

Also, this System Prefs pane shows "Last charged to 68%", which is false. The machine was turned off while charging. :)

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
I've tried, no luck. :(

This is iCloud, Bluetooth and WiFi disabled:

Also, this System Prefs pane shows "Last charged to 68%", which is false. The machine was turned off while charging. :)

As I stated earlier, my theory & suspicion is that the MacBooks, at least those with problems, may be reporting false battery charge & drain percentages. In the case of charging it may be reporting less charge percentage than it might actually be & in the case of drain it may be reporting more than it actually might be, especially for those with sleep time drain. Similar problem also appears to plague intel based MacBooks. An intel based 16-inch MacBook user mentioned in another thread that his/her machine lasts longer than his/her Mac's battery estimates, suggesting there is more charge in the battery than being displayed.

But even if my theory/suspicion holds true, I do not know the solution. In the intel-based MacBooks we could reset the SMC & NVRAM/PRAM. In the M1 MacBooks there is no SMC & the NVRAM resets itself after a cold shut down for 30 seconds. You could try turning off "Optimised battery charging", shut down your gf's MBA for 30 seconds, power on again & charge it to 100%. Thereafter observe the drain when the MBA is asleep for a long duration, perhaps for 6 to 8 hours, at least. But just so you know, I am picking this up from the top of my brain. Chances are that this might not work but there should be no harm in doing so.

Galius

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
As I stated earlier, my theory & suspicion is that the MacBooks, at least those with problems, may be reporting false battery charge & drain percentages. In the case of charging it may be reporting less charge percentage than it might actually be & in the case of drain it may be reporting more than it actually might be, especially for those with sleep time drain. Similar problem also appears to plague intel based MacBooks. An intel based 16-inch MacBook user mentioned in another thread that his/her machine lasts longer than his/her Mac's battery estimates, suggesting there is more charge in the battery than being displayed.

But even if my theory/suspicion holds true, I do not know the solution. In the intel-based MacBooks we could reset the SMC & NVRAM/PRAM. In the M1 MacBooks there is no SMC & the NVRAM resets itself after a cold shut down for 30 seconds. You could try turning off "Optimised battery charging", shut down your gf's MBA for 30 seconds, power on again & charge it to 100%. Thereafter observe the drain when the MBA is asleep for a long duration, perhaps for 6 to 8 hours, at least. But just so you know, I am picking this up from the top of my brain. Chances are that this might not work but there should be no harm in doing so.
Thanks for all the work you’re doing.

On my side I returned the laptop. The premium reseller did a good job and had a lot of understanding. They did not have the same one in stock so I figured I might as well get one with 1TB. So it’s ordered will be here in 4 to 5 weeks. Hopefully without issues this time! The issue was filed to the Apple engineering team in Ireland and they promised they will keep me updated. I will let you guys know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.