Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Thx for your feedback.

So it must be something else?!

Within Console I do find a lot of the following reports within system.log:
XXXXMBA com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.shared.ABCDEF-GHIJX-0000-0000-000000000000[xxx]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by mds[300]

Don't know what this is?
mds is Spotlight. How often does this appear in system.log?

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
hmm mine also appears to be draining whilst doing nothing (lid closed)

1608729524483.png

1608729570036.png

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
hmm, does this setting (Wake for network access) under Power Adapter effect the MBA when on battery? I took it as only effective when plugged in.

1608732447495.png

KShopper

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
On my M1 MBA I have icloud enabled, with no extra configurations, wake for network enabled. The only thing I've done is clean out the Google/Chrome cruft from my system. I have no issues with battery loss during sleep.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 8.02.49 AM.png

Reactions: Zazoh and Galius

KShopper

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
How much are you losing overnight?
Last night, with the battery fully charged before sleep, zero (as shown in my screenshot). But normally seems like 2-3 % maybe. Could just be that there is a bit of a buffer "above" 100% that was used last night.

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Last night, with the battery fully charged before sleep, zero (as shown in my screenshot). But normally seems like 2-3 % maybe. Could just be that there is a bit of a buffer "above" 100% that was used last night.

2-3% overnight seems normal discharge. Mine is the same & few ppl here seem to have same levels of discharge.

Gkh77

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Had the same problem with my new MacBook air M1. Seems to have resolved itself now. Last night drained approx 20% in standby in 11 hours which was a concern. I have just recharged and it has stayed at 100% after 6 hours in standby which is much more like it.

I changed 2 things that I can think of 1. Unchecked wake for network access as per suggestions in this thread 2. Unplugged my wireless mouse adaptor when closing the laptop lid (i.e putting into rest mode). I had previously just left this adaptor in the Mac when I closed the lid.

This is my first Mac so not sure if this is a stupid suggestion, but could it be the mouse adaptor keeping the computer awake whilst in rest mode (i.e searching for the mouse)?

Anyway, thought I would mention in case this helps...Will update if anything changes..

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Had the same problem with my new MacBook air M1. Seems to have resolved itself now. Last night drained approx 20% in standby in 11 hours which was a concern. I have just recharged and it has stayed at 100% after 6 hours in standby which is much more like it.

I changed 2 things that I can think of 1. Unchecked wake for network access as per suggestions in this thread 2. Unplugged my wireless mouse adaptor when closing the laptop lid (i.e putting into rest mode). I had previously just left this adaptor in the Mac when I closed the lid.

This is my first Mac so not sure if this is a stupid suggestion, but could it be the mouse adaptor keeping the computer awake whilst in rest mode (i.e searching for the mouse)?

Anyway, thought I would mention in case this helps...Will update if anything changes..
I am beginning to think that the "wake for network access" only has a little impact on overnight battery drain. Unless there is a lot of activity on iCloud. Even then so it shouldn't impact the battery charge too much.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
So my previous screenshot showing drain overnight had a Yubikey plugged into one port, removed that and back to expected overnight.

1608801811054.png

Gkh77

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
So my previous screenshot showing drain overnight had a Yubikey plugged into one port, removed that and back to expected overnight.

View attachment 1700317
Interesting. So perhaps it's a bug that has something to do with peripherals? I wonder if this will mean excessive battery drain when using usb mice etc?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
that screenshot was taken from my mba m1
Ok - crazy. So why don't I have this feature? Maybe missing translation, as I'm using it in german language?

EDIT: Tried it with English - the same. Menu point not there... MBA M1 16GB 1TB

Galius

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Coming back from the apple store, they aren't aware of the issue although they had a similar case with an M1. They need to keep the laptop a couple of days... I'll let you know when back. I bitterly regret not returning it to the premium reseller.

jahller

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
I had exactly the same problem with my MacBook Pro M1.
This was the 35% overnight battery drain two days ago:

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 20.13.45.png

Then I disabled "Wake for network access" and updated to Big Sur 11.1.
This was the battery drain last night:

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 16.19.35.png

Really happy that it solved the issue since I thought I was going crazy with everyone raving about the amazing battery life. Still a strange issue and the more so as not everyone seems to experience it. Hope this helps someone.

jb1821

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
I have the 'service recommended - capacity is significantly reduced' warning in my battery settings (m1 macbook pro, 1tb 16gb). Battery health is at 100% (5103 mAh/5103 mAh, 11 cycles, 26 days old) and I ran diagnostics on restarting which found no issues. I see around 10-12 hours use out of it, definitely not the crazy hours others are getting though I'd say I'm a heavy user (blender/Ps etc). Googling around I noticed some saw this error message in Big Sur as a bug during beta over the summer... Should I be worried? I've been rendering in blender this morning and seen 45% drop in 2 hours.

EDIT: After a good hour with in their chat support (where the guy twice advised me to reset smc using a method that only works on intel macbooks) I have to go get it serviced in store. Bah.

Last edited:

jb1821

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
How did you find out?
Cycles count and some other info is here: Hold the Option key and click the Apple  menu. Choose System information. Under the Hardware section of the System Information window, select Power. The current cycle count is listed under the Battery Information section.

Then I have an app called battery health 2 from the app store which shows similar stuff but also mAh/age

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
I had exactly the same problem with my MacBook Pro M1.
This was the 35% overnight battery drain two days ago:

View attachment 1700968

Then I disabled "Wake for network access" and updated to Big Sur 11.1.
This was the battery drain last night:

View attachment 1700969

Really happy that it solved the issue since I thought I was going crazy with everyone raving about the amazing battery life. Still a strange issue and the more so as not everyone seems to experience it. Hope this helps someone.
Where is this option "Wake for network access"? I can't find it under the battery tab?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.