Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
What do you think about a release of the MBP 16" with M1X or M2? Do you think its possible?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No idea about release other than very likely this year.

I think it will be presented with an M2 chip.
As far as the chip name, I think it will be based on the A14 chip, just as the M1 was, therefore it will more likely have a variant of the M1 name, like M1X, or maybe a different prefix letter, but at least keeping the 1 to indicate the same generation. M2, M2X, etc. would be reserved for the next gen of devices based on the A15 chip. I don’t know this for sure, but I read it somewhere and it makes sense. Of course, Apple is full of surprises.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Apple focuses on SOFTWARE at the WorldWide Developers Conference not HARDWARE. Highlight unlikely they would talk about any hardware especially a specific product like a MBP 16 or bigger iMac.

Reactions: Xak444

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, because it’s not 2H’21. The rumors have been consistent about that timeframe.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple focuses on SOFTWARE at the WorldWide Developers Conference not HARDWARE. Highlight unlikely they would talk about any hardware especially a specific product like a MBP 16 or bigger iMac.

WWDC has always been traditional event for Apple to announce pro-level hardware. This has changed somewhat in the last few years as Intel chip-making efforts have stagnated. With Apple taking full control over the hardware and using elements of nostalgia in an effective marketing campaign, I have little doubt that there will be important hardware announcements this June.

However, I do not believe that new 14" and 16" models will ship this summer, it will probably be the beginning of autumn.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Nope, it will be Q3 2021 with a M2X (instead of M1X as the A15 is available by then)

WWDC will be software and services and some new AirPods.

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I heard the new Macbook Air (or Macbook) with similar iMac colors are coming out soon and the 14" & 16" MBP are also coming out later in the year (Q4 2021).

Who knows what will be announced until WWDC

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
I think it will be presented at WWDC21 in a few weeks

The supply chain leaks indicate the next gen chip is in production, which means release window is July-ish, which means yes, announcement at WWDC is very likely.

with an M2 chip.

Well, that would be quite odd. Because:

1. A year ago Apple was said to have several M1 variants that went up to 16 cores, and products were to be released by end of 2021.
2. The M2 would be based on the A15 architecture, which itself has not even entered production yet.
3. The M2 is expected to be a replacement for the M1. Not a more powerful variant. We already know Apple had M1 variants with more cores, and possibly other changes.

The odds of it being an M1 variant (M1X) vs. the M2 are overwhelming.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Nope, it will be Q3 2021 with a M2X (instead of M1X as the A15 is available by then)

WWDC will be software and services and some new AirPods.
By saying "Nope", you're choosing to ignore the supply chain leak from last month that indicates that a next gen Apple Silicon chip entered production? These are not generally grain of salt leaks. These are timing indicators. If an Apple Silicon chip thats not the generic M1 went into production last month, it is for products coming with 2-3 months. So, July-ish.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I wonder if the new design of the 14 will come standard with the M1 chip And the new 16 would possess the M1X or M2 or whatever. i like the idea of a 14 inch screen however if it has essentially the same internals as the current 13 inch with a higher price I wont like that.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
I wonder if the new design of the 14 will come standard with the M1 chip And the new 16 would possess the M1X or M2 or whatever. i like the idea of a 14 inch screen however if it has essentially the same internals as the current 13 inch with a higher price I wont like that.
Nah. The 14 and 16 will both come with the same base chip, the one that is being fabbed right now. I think they will both be a 12-core M1X, but I'm hoping there is a 16-core option as well. Information we had 8+ months ago suggested these chips already existed and were destined for these products.

Reactions: Tagbert and Fthree

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
No idea about release other than very likely this year.

As far as the chip name, I think it will be based on the A14 chip, just as the M1 was, therefore it will more likely have a variant of the M1 name, like M1X, or maybe a different prefix letter, but at least keeping the 1 to indicate the same generation. M2, M2X, etc. would be reserved for the next gen of devices based on the A15 chip. I don’t know this for sure, but I read it somewhere and it makes sense. Of course, Apple is full of surprises.
I don't know why some people are confused about this. Apple doesn't release an iPhone with an A14 and then next month introduce an iPad with an A15. No, the next iPad chip is based on the last iPhone chip. Heck sometimes it has even been based on the previous iPhone chip.

People talking about the M2 are way ahead of themselves. I think it is 50/50 we even see an M2 product in 2021. And only if they choose to update the MacBook Air and Mac mini this year.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Rumors are rumors.
MBP16 will be presented at WWDC, with shipping dates in July.

Not when it’s from Kuo.

Keep in mind these are mini LED displays as well. We would have received a heads up from multiple suppliers if it were any time in the next couple months.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don't know why some people are confused about this. Apple doesn't release an iPhone with an A14 and then next month introduce an iPad with an A15. No, the next iPad chip is based on the last iPhone chip. Heck sometimes it has even been based on the previous iPhone chip.

People talking about the M2 are way ahead of themselves. I think it is 50/50 we even see an M2 product in 2021. And only if they choose to update the MacBook Air and Mac mini this year.
Didn’t Apple release the A14 iPad Air before the iPhone 12?

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Didn’t Apple release the A14 iPad Air before the iPhone 12?
That's not the same thing. It wasn't before manufacturing the A14 for iPhone 12. The iPhone 12 launch was delayed. It also wasn't a derivative of the A14, it was literally the A14 that was debuting in iPhone the same day, but got pushed
a month later.

Reactions: Tagbert

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Will the new 14 & 16" MBP have colors like the upcoming Macbook Air ?
prosser-macbook-air-colors-stacked.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.