Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
And we have. Several times.

And all of them have said second half 2021.

It's as if people enjoy reading the headline, but completely ignore the dates. Reminds of the iPhone 12 and people asking "is it gonna be September 2020?" even though every single source said October/November.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
And all of them have said second half 2021.

It's as if people enjoy reading the headline, but completely ignore the dates. Reminds of the iPhone 12 and people asking "is it gonna be September 2020?" even though every single source said October/November.

Hmm I think it is you that is ignoring the dates.

1. All of the rumors for months from Kuo and other sources have all said Q3, which puts it squarely in the July - Sept timeframe.
2. Last month a supply chain leak indicated that a new Apple Silicon chip enter mass production. Which given every other production-to-release time frame from Apple in modern history, that puts release somewhere in July on average.

So...July is looking pretty good based on the only information we actually have.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I might not upgrade anything but my Apple Watch this year, but a newly designed M1-based 16" MBP would sure get my mouth watering.

Reactions: Fthree

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Hmm I think it is you that is ignoring the dates.

1. All of the rumors for months from Kuo and other sources have all said Q3, which puts it squarely in the July - Sept timeframe.
2. Last month a supply chain leak indicated that a new Apple Silicon chip enter mass production. Which given every other production-to-release time frame from Apple in modern history, that puts release somewhere in July on average.

So...July is looking pretty good based on the only information we actually have.

Kuo has said 2H'21: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/22/2021-macbook-pro-sd-hdmi-port-kuo/

Nikkei has said 2H'21: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Te...-to-M1-chip-goes-into-mass-production-for-Mac

If TSMC began production of M2 in April, the fab cycle time is around 100 days. Add another month for Quanta to assemble the whole thing and the earliest date is August. The M1 chips from launch day MacBooks had October dates on them.

I just don't see July happening.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Apple focuses on SOFTWARE at the WorldWide Developers Conference not HARDWARE. Highlight unlikely they would talk about any hardware especially a specific product like a MBP 16 or bigger iMac.
Apple has a history of announcing hardware at WWDC. In 2017 they announced 7 new macs. See here. They don’t do it every year, but it’s not unreasonable at all to expect new hardware this year. Rumors are that the next iteration of Mac chips started production last month. M1 had about 5 weeks of lead time before the announcement, and that was used in 3 top-selling macs. The higher-end models that would likely get announced ship less volume, so they easily could have chips ready shortly after WWDC this year.

WWDC New Hardware History:
2010: iPhone 4
2012: MBA, MBP
2013: MP, AirPort, MBA,
2017: iMac, MB, MBP, iMac Pro, iPad, HP
2019: Mac Pro, Pro Display
2020: Dev Transition Kit

Didn’t Apple release the A14 iPad Air before the iPhone 12?
Correct. The point being they didn't release the A14 and then the A15 later that year. There is at least a 1-year gap between chip designs. So I think what they meant was we got M1 last November, so the earliest we'd likely see an M2 chip (whatever chip goes into the next MacBook air) until this November - one year later.

Now we could certainly see a higher-core M1 based chip sooner (maybe a 12-core M1 chip, or M1X chip). The point being, the chip design is still using the same firestorm & icestorm cores that the M1 uses. Whenever Apple goes to an M2 chip, it will use a totally different core design in the same way A13 --> A14 uses different core designs.
I heard the new Macbook Air (or Macbook) with similar iMac colors are coming out soon
Prosser just saw schematics of them, and had someone make renders of what they could look like, but if you watch FPT he says these are likely coming later in the year (maybe around Oct-Nov). All of the rumors are stemming from this one leak by Prosser AFAIK.

If TSMC began production of M2 in April, the fab cycle time is around 100 days. Add another month for Quanta to assemble the whole thing and the earliest date is August. The M1 chips from launch day MacBooks had October dates on them.
We got M1 production rumors about 5 or so weeks before the release of M1 macs. Not sure how the correlates to production, but seeing as the high-end MBP models don't sell anywhere near the units the air and lower-end MBP sell, they very well could have something ready sometime soon-ish.

Reactions: Tagbert

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Kuo has said 2H'21: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/22/2021-macbook-pro-sd-hdmi-port-kuo/

Nikkei has said 2H'21: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Te...-to-M1-chip-goes-into-mass-production-for-Mac

I just don't see July happening.
End of July/early August is what the data indicates.

With that being the case, WWDC announcement seems highly likely.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Will the new 14 & 16" MBP have colors like the upcoming Macbook Air ?
prosser-macbook-air-colors-stacked.jpg
Possibly. But I think it is also likely that these will be just 2 colors as they are today, Silver and Space Gray, to distinguish the Consumer models from the Pro models.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Why can’t you all just wait three weeks and will know for sure? This back-and-forth with this rumor or that rumor or this guy or that no it all guy, or I know better than you is really really boring. Yes I don’t have to read this, but you fanatics should just chill out once in a while and just wait three weeks. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Tagbert and ader42

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Rumours today said that Apple can release new Airpods May 18th

Seems very unlikely because the delivery date for engraved AirPods is May 26, regardless of the model (regular, Pro, Max). Usually, lead times for factory direct items slip when something is about to be announced.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019
Seems very unlikely because the delivery date for engraved AirPods is May 26, regardless of the model (regular, Pro, Max). Usually, lead times for factory direct items slip when something is about to be announced.

Maybe they are going to sell them at lower price with the entry of this model… so they don’t need to push far away ship dates in this case

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Maybe they are going to sell them at lower price with the entry of this model… so they don’t need to push far away ship dates in this case

Possibly, but then Apple would have named the current gen as "AirPods 2." Right now, Apple uses the same naming strucuture as iPad and Mac (no numbering) which suggests they intend to sell only one generation at a time.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Beginning of Q4 (October) right after the iPhone 12s (13) is introduced with the A15, which forms the basis of the M2 CPU. It’s not coming any sooner. It will ship with macOS 12 (née 10.17). Nothing hardware-wise is coming at WWDC this year, it’s strictly software updates this year with iPadOS leading the way.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
By saying "Nope", you're choosing to ignore the supply chain leak from last month that indicates that a next gen Apple Silicon chip entered production? These are not generally grain of salt leaks. These are timing indicators. If an Apple Silicon chip thats not the generic M1 went into production last month, it is for products coming with 2-3 months. So, July-ish.

There is a global pandemic and TMSC has no capacity at the moment.

Both Sony and Microsoft (who rely also on TMSC) have already said that Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will not be available for the entire year.

So there is no chance the 14” and 16” MBP will be released in Q2 2021.

If Apple somehow will release the 14” and 16” MBP in Q3 2021, I will predict it will be super hard to come (Just like the current situation with the iPad Pro)

• Haha
Reactions: Lemon Olive

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
There is a global pandemic and TMSC has no capacity at the moment.

There is no "free" capacity.

Apple has secured exclusive access to TMSC best processes for years and years into the future.
So yeah they will be able to make millions and millions of A15 chips for the next iPhone and it won't matter at all (for capacity) if the few "pro" Macs that will ship this year will be based on A14 (M1?) or A15 (M2?).

Reactions: Jorbanead

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
There is no "free" capacity.

Apple has secured exclusive access to TMSC best processes for years and years into the future.
So yeah they will be able to make millions and millions of A15 chips for the next iPhone and it won't matter at all (for capacity) if the few "pro" Macs that will ship this year will be based on A14 (M1?) or A15 (M2?).
Problem is not Apple Socs, but other components:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I would say yes, of all the Mac's in Apple's line-up the 16" MBP is the most likely to be updated next. It likely wouldn't ship until July at the very earliest, but it could certainly be revealed at WWDC.

From there on I would guess that the iMac 27" ('Pro') replacement will be announced in October, and the MBA replacement in Spring 2022. And the Mac Pro(s) will likely dominate the remainder of the year.

Reactions: dustSafa

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple focuses on SOFTWARE at the WorldWide Developers Conference not HARDWARE. Highlight unlikely they would talk about any hardware especially a specific product like a MBP 16 or bigger iMac.
Except for all the times they’ve announced new hardware at WWDC? For example:

WWDC 2006: Mac Pro introduced (source: http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/07/live-from-wwdc-2006-steve-jobs-keynote/)
WWDC 2008: iPhone 3G introduced (source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/steve-jobs-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2008/)
WWDC 2009: 13" MacBook Pro (product) and 15" MacBook Pro (product) (spec upgrades, SD card slot), iPhone 3GS (source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/phil-schiller-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2009/)
WWDC 2010: iPhone 4 (source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/steve-jobs-live-from-wwdc-2010/)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Problem is not Apple Socs, but other components:

Well I was referring to a claim that there could be no new Macs due to no "free capacity" at TMSC.
Given that Apple has these special deals with TMSC and Tim Cooks supply chain experience I'm rather sure they have similar deals for other essential parts (screens, batteries etc).

The real question is for what numbers did they plan/order compared to the increased demand over the whole industry?

So I expect them to sell/ship at least as many units as in previous years which might still lead to massive delays for customer who failed to click *buy* in the 1st few minutes of the order pages going online.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.