Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Wwdc is software. Doubt we see a thing about mac hardware.
Fair enough, but what is the pro apple hardware these developers are supposed to be developing pro apps for ? Or is it all lightweight apps for the M1.

I agree apple should follow their own path however I am going to invest in their competition if I have no idea what the pro direction is in June. My business doesn’t wait for Apple either.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Exactly. I’m currently super pleased with my M1 MBA, so it would be a tough sell. But I know I would think about it.
I agree I just upgraded recently from a 2015 15 MBP to the 2020 M1 13 inch and I'm blown away. I couldn't care less about a redesign of the chassis and a little bigger screen if the price goes way up for the same'ish internals.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I agree I just upgraded recently from a 2015 15 MBP to the 2020 M1 13 inch and I'm blown away. I couldn't care less about a redesign of the chassis and a little bigger screen if the price goes way up for the same'ish internals.
Sounds to me like you use the computer as a consumer....

Reactions: ader42

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
As has been repeated ad nauseum there have been many, many instances of hardware (especially Pro hardware) being announced at WWDC.
I decided to ignore that one as they seemed pretty certain, like a lot of people are on here about certain things that a pure opinion or anecdotal.

it makes total sense that the pro hardware is announced at WWDC even if there actual release date due to manufacture is a couple of months later. And seems to align nicely with all the rumours.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
here is what I think :

WWDC announcement
August / September ‘launch’

I dont believe they can wait longer given the new 11th Gen Intel H launch, RTX and AMD current positions.
The macbook pros just dont stack up against those computers currently [M1 is great but still a ultrabook CPU/GPU and perfect for the air and base level computers].

So, what happens in the 2-3 months between launch and shipping? Why would Apple voluntarily Osborne their 13" and 16" MacBook Pro so early without a replacement?

Reminds of the people who predicted Apple would announce iPhone 12 in September, but wait until October before shipping. It made no sense.

Right now, there is a 2-week lead time for all custom MacBook Pros, so it's clear supply hasn't caught up to demand even today.

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
They might talk about it at wwdc but there’s no way it gets released in the next few months.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
So, what happens in the 2-3 months between launch and shipping? Why would Apple voluntarily Osborne their 13" and 16" MacBook Pro so early without a replacement?

Reminds of the people who predicted Apple would announce iPhone 12 in September, but wait until October before shipping. It made no sense.

Right now, there is a 2-week lead time for all custom MacBook Pros, so it's clear supply hasn't caught up to demand even today.
so they didn’t do this with the Mac Pro previously?
Also I recall a few years back when it took me 3 months to get an iPhone.
Because I knew they were coming I waited however if I don’t know, I will have to buy PC laptops for my booming business as there is no chance in hell I will buy an intel Mac.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
so they didn’t do this with the Mac Pro previously?
Also I recall a few years back when it took me 3 months to get an iPhone.
Because I knew they were coming I waited however if I don’t know, I will have to buy PC laptops for my booming business as there is no chance in hell I will buy an intel Mac.

The 2013 Mac Pro was an admitted failure by Apple. It was frozen in time for more than 4 years without a spec update. No one was buying the Mac Pro by 2018. The Intel-based MacBook Pros continue to sell well today, as evidenced by the 2 week lead time.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The 2013 Mac Pro was an admitted failure by Apple. It was frozen in time for more than 4 years without a spec update. No one was buying the Mac Pro by 2018. The Intel-based MacBook Pros continue to sell well today, as evidenced by the 2 week lead time.
Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. In fact I bought an iMac Pro instead of the Mac Pro as got sick of waiting.
Is the delay anything to do with component shortages perhaps? If I order a Dell laptop it says 20-30 days, so either Tim has nailed the pipeline with intel (which I somehow doubt they give Apple any priority these days) or they are not selling as many of these machines as you state.

do you have the last quarter figures on the intel MacBook Pro 13 & 16 to verify your certainty?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. In fact I bought an iMac Pro instead of the Mac Pro as got sick of waiting.
Is the delay anything to do with component shortages perhaps? If I order a Dell laptop it says 20-30 days, so either Tim has nailed the pipeline with intel (which I somehow doubt they give Apple any priority these days) or they are not selling as many of these machines as you state.

do you have the last quarter figures on the intel MacBook Pro 13 & 16 to verify your certainty?

You're welcome.

Back to your original point, Apple would have no reason to Osborne their 13" and 16" notebook in June. And then wait until August/September to ship them. That would be like flushing money down the toilet.

It's the legacy nodes like 28nm, 40nm, and 55nm that are facing shortages from SMIC, TSMC, UMC, not the leading edge 14nm or 10nm from Intel. Dell has handled their supply chain poorly. It's one of the reasons why they grew 37% last quarter in notebook shipments while everyone else like Lenovo and Acer grew 80% or 90%.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I agree on this point but the big thing for me would be price. If the current 13 M1 is running (for the most part) side by side with a $4000 16 inch I may just stick to the 13 m1 for maybe half the price.

The M1 is just a tablet processor from the iPad Pro. So the new 16“ MBP which will feature a real laptop processor will not be running side by side with the A14X / M1, but a lot faster.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
You seem to know better than what Apple, Samsung, Foxconn, car manufacturers are doing, telling and predicting about chip shortages. Time will tell how Apple manage. I lost patience and pulled the trigger in Marts on a MBA m1 16GB/1TB, since I could not wait till after summer and sofar it fits my need, so I am not in the market for a new machine in the short term.
Difference with car manufacturers is they’re not likely using 5nm chips. Samsung doesn’t use TSMC but their own chip fab AFAIK. Apple bought 5nm years ago, and is one of TSMC’s most important customers (because of volume and also Apple invests heavily into TSMC production).

What could cause delays for Apple is other components.

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
As has been repeated ad nauseum there have been many, many instances of hardware (especially Pro hardware) being announced at WWDC.
Yes, that is true.
I still doubt that Apple will „launch“ anything during the WWDC. I don‘t believe they will mention any new Macs. Would be nice if they did - I‘m waiting for the M<whatever> with 32GB - but I think we‘re going to have to wait until Q3...

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Difference with car manufacturers is they’re not likely using 5nm chips. Samsung doesn’t use TSMC but their own chip fab AFAIK. Apple bought 5nm years ago, and is one of TSMC’s most important customers (because of volume and also Apple invests heavily into TSMC production).

What could cause delays for Apple is other components.
That is what I was telling. Not Apple SOCs but other components.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Yes, that is true.
I still doubt that Apple will „launch“ anything during the WWDC. I don‘t believe they will mention any new Macs. Would be nice if they did - I‘m waiting for the M<whatever> with 32GB - but I think we‘re going to have to wait until Q3...
If they wait till Q3 (as late of October) then - on an annual release basis - Apple will be launching the M2 - based on A15 CPU. If Apple had plans to launch an M1X based on the A14 architecture (but with more cores) then they should really launch by WWDC - it's late enough as it is.

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
Likely a very important "failure". Apple probably learned the very hard way that Intel and AMD chips were dead ends and that Apple must control their own CPU/GPU development. There would not have been a "thermal corner" with ASi and the 2013 Mac Pro. The Mac Pro 2019 is likewise DOA and will be replaced with ASi Mac pro within four years of its introduction.

Preview at WWDC and delivery "later this year".

Reactions: spiderman0616

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Likely a very important "failure". Apple probably learned the very hard way that Intel and AMD chips were dead ends and that Apple must control their own CPU/GPU development. There would not have been a "thermal corner" with ASi and the 2013 Mac Pro. The Mac Pro 2019 is likewise DOA and will be replaced with ASi Mac pro within four years of its introduction.

Preview at WWDC and delivery "later this year".
Crazy to think what they're going to be able to do with the Mac Pro's design.

Reactions: iPadified

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I do believe they announced the M1 last year at WWDC.
I do believe they will announce the next gen chip (M2x?) at this years WWDC. I suspect availability of the new chip will be after the iPhone 13 debut. Hope a M2x in a MBP before 2022.
I’m hoping the new MacOS will offer, performance settings.

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
Crazy to think what they're going to be able to do with the Mac Pro's design.
Yes . Even if I am not in the market the Mac Pro, it will be very interesting to see how Apple will compete in raw performance with high end thread ripper/NVIDIA. Pity it is not easy to do multi socket solutions: 25XM1= 500 W and enormous compute power.

Reactions: Apathy Overdose

JouniS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Yes . Even if I am not in the market the Mac Pro, it will be very interesting to see how Apple will compete in raw performance with high end thread ripper/NVIDIA. Pity it is not easy to do multi socket solutions: 25XM1= 500 W and enormous compute power.
Raw performance is ultimately easy: just take a good tower case and add more of everything. I'm more interested to see how Apple approaches versatility.

In the consumer hardware we've seen so far, there is not much difference between the baseline and high-end configurations. In contrast, a maxed-out workstation can have >10x more CPU power, GPU power, RAM, and storage than the baseline configuration. Customers are often interested in only some aspects of the system, and they don't like if they have to pay real money for irrelevant hardware. It will be interesting to see if each aspect of the new Mac Pro can be customized separately or if people have to buy, for example, more CPU cores in order to get more GPU cores.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I do believe they announced the M1 last year at WWDC.
I do believe they will announce the next gen chip (M2x?) at this years WWDC.
Not quite. They announced a switch to Apple Silicon without specifying any specific CPU/SoC. They did announce the DTK which used an iPad A12Z in a Mac mini case but that was just for developers to get a head start on porting their Mac software to Apple Silicon.

If they announce a new SoC it will be within 30 days or so of shipping to customers. Apple isn't one to announce products ahead of time except in very limited circumstance. The last thing they would want to do right now is convince anyone interested in the M1 Macs to wait and see what comes next (Osborne syndrome).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.