Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I do believe they announced the M1 last year at WWDC.
I do believe they will announce the next gen chip (M2x?) at this years WWDC. I suspect availability of the new chip will be after the iPhone 13 debut. Hope a M2x in a MBP before 2022.
I’m hoping the new MacOS will offer, performance settings.
It's been mentioned elsewhere that the M1 was announced for November Macs last year. M1 was tied closely to the A14 CPU in the iPhone 12 so you are quite right when you speculate on M2 being tied closely to the iPhone 13 (A15 CPU).

The A14 CPU, however, made its debut in the iPad Air 4 (2020) which shipped on October 23 after being announced alongside the iPhones on September 15 last year.

The same CPU was only confirmed as being in the iPhone 12 when Apple held a special event on October 13, after which the A14 was made available in there too.

Usually the iPhones at least would have been out in September but we can put a caveat on launches last year due to COVID but I recall the A14 being pored over closely due to the iPad Air 4 launch.

Not quite. They announced a switch to Apple Silicon without specifying any specific CPU/SoC. They did announce the DTK which used an iPad A12Z in a Mac mini case but that was just for developers to get a head start on porting their Mac software to Apple Silicon.

I they announce a new SoC it will be within 30 days or so of shipping to customers. Apple isn't one to announce products ahead of time except in very limited circumstance. The last thing they would want to do right now is convince anyone interested in the M1 Macs to wait and see what comes next (Osborne syndrome).
Typical Apple MO is to release as soon as possible after launch as per your write-up. Supply chain may still be impacted by CPU shortages and COVID delays though.

It would be a very tight release schedule if Apple were to launch the M2 CPU alongside the iPhones later this year, I believe all will be revealed around WWDC if Apple intend to release multicore Pro level gear based on the M1 architecture but with more cores.

Leaving it much later risks Apple bumping into A15-based architecture in October.

Having said that though, one small detail about the much leaked 'Pro' Macs comes along thanks to the Qanta Ransomware leaks recently.

The high performance MacBook Pros will have 1x Magsafe, 3x Thunderbolt ports, SD card reader slot, and a HDMI port.

Assuming that each Thunderbolt port will have its own controller as with the M1 Macs then it's still a reasonable compromise, made more interesting by the removal of the Touch Bar.

So of the remaining products, if you look at the Mac mini - could we see the SD slot returning to the back of that while it gains just one single extra Thunderbolt port if Apple choose to do a high performance mini to replace the top SKU Intel mini.

True; however, the announcement that Apple is transitioning away from Intel took place at WWDC

This just gives Apple till WWDC 2022 to complete the transition (presumably with the ARM Mac Pro which without a doubt should appear at a WWDC). You'd therefore assume that if things were going according to schedule that M1, M2 CPU budget products would appear November-April with multicore variants by the WWDC after that April.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Why can’t you all just wait three weeks and will know for sure? This back-and-forth with this rumor or that rumor or this guy or that no it all guy, or I know better than you is really really boring. Yes I don’t have to read this, but you fanatics should just chill out once in a while and just wait three weeks. ?
I think the web site you are looking for is mac-facts.com, not macrumors.com….

• Haha
Reactions: Jorbanead

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
We might be waiting for next year quite sadly for the 14" and 16" MBP.

But it can be a good thing as then we might have the ARMv9 instruction set also included.

I am not buying these M1 toys with only 2 ports. That is totally unusable for me. I rather stick with my Intel Mac's for now.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I do wonder if we'll get the 14" & 16" with existing screen technology if the Mini LED has been delayed, otherwise, that's a very long gap without 4 port Apple Silicon models. I don't think the lack of Mini LED will stop many people from buying them tbh.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I do wonder if we'll get the 14" & 16" with existing screen technology if the Mini LED has been delayed, otherwise, that's a very long gap without 4 port Apple Silicon models. I don't think the lack of Mini LED will stop many people from buying them tbh.

I agree. If everything else is ready to go, it would be silly to delay the models just because of the displays.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019

zehcnassurfero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2019

I think the same, this year we are going to see new MBP’s. Because MBP16” was released on Nov 2019. It’s just one year and a half, it’s more or less the cycle to renew their MBP. And for “Pro” consumers, they need more ports and powerful MBP, and they are not going to wait one year more, apple maybe could loss a lot “Pro” consumers

Reactions: ascender

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
New report from Bloomberg today confirming summer (again) and some sweet performance configurations:

The chip is 10 cores (8 performance + 2 efficiency).

16 or 32 graphics core options.

Up to 64 GB of RAM options.

Considering its from Bloomberg I'd say this is pretty close to definite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.