Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm beginning to notice this noise occurring more often during the first few minute of using the Laptop.
Not sure what to do. I might pop into Apple the next time I'm passing. See what they have to say about it.
[doublepost=1483831454][/doublepost]
This is not the same issue the OP has posted.

Our issue is related to a crack noise when we open the lid, after the laptop's been closed for a while, and it's plugged on the power cord.

The crack noise comes from the middle upper part of the lid (above FaceTime camera), the same spot that's touched when we put the finger to raise the lid.

Actually, not only I hear the crack noise, I can also FEEL just a little bit of crack inside that part of the lid.

Maybe it's something with magnets and metal parts inside the lid and the main chassi of the nTB MBP. Maybe it's something with the rubber strip that surrounds the lid.

Closing the lid and immediately raising it again doesn't make the noise again. We need to keep it closed for a while (maybe minutes or hours, I'm not sure) and open again.

Literally exactly the same.

Denumerable

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2016
Worldwide
I'm beginning to notice this noise occurring more often during the first few minute of using the Laptop.
Not sure what to do. I might pop into Apple the next time I'm passing. See what they have to say about it.
[doublepost=1483831454][/doublepost]

Literally exactly the same.

Exactly the same situation. If you check my history, there are several forum posts merged together all with the same story.

Press the hinge near the middle of the laptop and you can usually reproduce the crack -- but with less power.

Seems like a universal problem. I'm wondering why it's not getting more attention because it's weird and never experienced it with any of my other laptops before ... MacBooks or otherwise.

Reactions: notmetoday

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I've scheduled a call with Apple tomorrow in regards to this issue.
(just moved my Laptop closer to me to finish typing this post... Oh, and theres the 'Clunk')

I'm not too sure what will come of the phone-call. I'd be reluctant to swap the machine for a new one as this is already my second as the first had a dead pixel problem. My current display has no issues.
I'd be worried that sorting the 'clunk' might then result in another dead pixel problem with a new machine. Ive had so many dead pixel problems that I feel as thought theres a greater chance of getting a laptop With a dead pixel than without.

Having paid well in excess of £2,000 for this thing, I really shouldn't be having to come to some sort of compromise, surely? Put up with the clunk and just be happy I've a dead-pixel free display? Or, potentially sort the clunk but run the risk of picking up a machine with yet another dead pixel...

I dunno...

P.s - My first one didn't have this 'Clunk' issue... Getting fed up with one problem or another.

Last edited:

raduene

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Hello, i have the new 2016 macbook pro 15" with the touch bar for about 2 weeks and i have some problems with it. one of them is when i shake it side to side i hear a rattling sound (i found out that is the light panel behind the display) and i want to ask if other 2016 mackbooks have this problem to?
The second problem, that is more annoying is that i hear a random popping/cracking noise when i use the laptop (it usually happens when the laptop is cold and i am using intense programs and its start heating up). I also saw that this problem comes from the display/hinge because when it gets hot and i slightly touch the display it make the same popping/cracking sound but not that loud. Is this normal? are other 2016 macbook owners have this problem? should i take it back to the apple store to exchange it for a new one?(i am afraid that a new one is going to have other problems like the gpu or the battery)

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
So I just got off the phone from Apple and as I thought, theres very little that they can do over the phone.
They've arranged an appointment for me for next Monday (A whole week away o_O)
I'll mention this thread to them whilst I'm there just so they're aware that other people seem to be having these problems too. Although, I've mentioned things like that to them in the past and they refuse to admit to their being a widespread issue.

I mentioned the issues I had with my first 15" MBP w TouchBar (Dead Pixels) and said that I'd probably prefer it if they were able to fix this issue on my current machine as oppose to giving me a new on as I've seen the amount of people who are on their 4th/5th laptop due to various problems. For the price we're al paying, is it really too much to ask for a laptop with no issues?
[doublepost=1483978953][/doublepost]
Hello, i have the new 2016 macbook pro 15" with the touch bar for about 2 weeks and i have some problems with it. one of them is when i shake it side to side i hear a rattling sound (i found out that is the light panel behind the display) and i want to ask if other 2016 mackbooks have this problem to?
The second problem, that is more annoying is that i hear a random popping/cracking noise when i use the laptop (it usually happens when the laptop is cold and i am using intense programs and its start heating up). I also saw that this problem comes from the display/hinge because when it gets hot and i slightly touch the display it make the same popping/cracking sound but not that loud. Is this normal? are other 2016 macbook owners have this problem? should i take it back to the apple store to exchange it for a new one?(i am afraid that a new one is going to have other problems like the gpu or the battery)

I don't (think) I have the first issues you've outlined but then again, I'm reluctant to go shaking this thing.
However, the second problem is the one we all seem to be talking about on this thread. The noise the laptop makes in your second video is EXACTLY the same noise happening in exactly the same way to me. Everything you're saying in regards to when it happens, I second.
And yes, I'm feeling the same way. I'm worried that an exchange will lead to all sorts of other problems happening.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Same issue here! It's minor enough that it doesn't bother me. It's definitely a physical thing with the lid. When I open it, and then I'll hear another one shortly after, without me touching it. Specs in sig.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
Exactly the same situation. If you check my history, there are several forum posts merged together all with the same story.

Press the hinge near the middle of the laptop and you can usually reproduce the crack -- but with less power.

Seems like a universal problem. I'm wondering why it's not getting more attention because it's weird and never experienced it with any of my other laptops before ... MacBooks or otherwise.

Thanks for mentioning that you can reproduce the cracking sound. I'm able to reproduce it each time I push on this area. I don't mind the occasionally click, but I hope this doesn't get worse overtime (loose hinge or anything).

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks for mentioning that you can reproduce the cracking sound. I'm able to reproduce it each time I push on this area. I don't mind the occasionally click, but I hope this doesn't get worse overtime (loose hinge or anything).

Someone mentioned that the sound can be reproduced by clicking the bottom of the lid (below Apple logo and with the display shut). This is only the case every now and again for me

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Someone mentioned that the sound can be reproduced by clicking the bottom of the lid (below Apple logo and with the display shut). This is only the case every now and again for me

Try pushing the top of the lid, near the bottom where the hinge is when the screen/lid is open. That's when I can reproduce a click.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Went to the Apple Store today and left my MacBook Pro for repair. They're going to do some testing to see the origin of the issue and potentially replace what they call the Vent/Antenna Module which is part of the hinge setup. Hopefully I can get a little more information as to what the issue was and report back here once I get it back in 3-5 days.

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Went to the Apple Store today and left my MacBook Pro for repair. They're going to do some testing to see the origin of the issue and potentially replace what they call the Vent/Antenna Module which is part of the hinge setup. Hopefully I can get a little more information as to what the issue was and report back here once I get it back in 3-5 days.

Yeah, definitely let us know what they say and if the noise completely stops when you lift the lid for the first time in a little while and during the first half an hour or so of use. I've a Genius Bar appointment on Monday. If they were wanting to make a repair as opposed to carry out a replacement, I think I'd be happy as everything else about this MacBook is fine, unlike my first. Not sure I'd be too happy having to wait 3-5 days however :(
[doublepost=1484084434][/doublepost]

Finally got round to uploading what I'm on about. The noise is pretty much the exact same when it occurs during the first few minutes of use and when you go to adjust the angle of the screen after a while.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, definitely let us know what they say and if the noise completely stops when you lift the lid for the first time in a little while and during the first half an hour or so of use. I've a Genius Bar appointment on Monday. If they were wanting to make a repair as opposed to carry out a replacement, I think I'd be happy as everything else about this MacBook is fine, unlike my first. Not sure I'd be too happy having to wait 3-5 days however :(
[doublepost=1484084434][/doublepost]

Finally got round to uploading what I'm on about. The noise is pretty much the exact same when it occurs during the first few minutes of use and when you go to adjust the angle of the screen after a while.

I was presented with the option to replace my MacBook entirely, but wait longer or have it repaired.. I opted for a repair as the machine has been running perfectly fine without any issues apart from the ever minor click/pop from the hinge. I rather have it repaired than live with it as it shouldn't be happening.

That pop in your video is really loud, is it coming form the hinge area? It looks almost as if it's from the magnets on the front?

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I was presented with the option to replace my MacBook entirely, but wait longer or have it repaired.. I opted for a repair as the machine has been running perfectly fine without any issues apart from the ever minor click/pop from the hinge. I rather have it repaired than live with it as it shouldn't be happening.

That pop in your video is really loud, is it coming form the hinge area? It looks almost as if it's from the magnets on the front?

I'm not sure what I'd do if presented with the option. Having had pixel issues with my first, I'd be pretty annoyed to get a replacement that yes, might not make this noise, but for it to have another pixel issue.
Everything else seems okay with this one, bar the odd glitch (expecting updates to iron these creases out).

It was a pretty loud one, it makes that noise when I open the lid after a while, adjust the angle of the screen during use. It also makes this noise randomly during use. I'll have to see what they say/suggest/offer me.

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Pretty positive I have the same cracking noise as OP when opening my nTB MBP (second one after having exchanged first one for display issue). It's similar to the noise of the second time opening of the MBP in the above youtube video. Noise is hardly noticeable really, but there nonetheless. Not considering doing something about this though, with what I read here. My Early 2011 MBP had a much louder hinge crack noise when opened, which they tried to repair but didn’t succeed in, and I left it that way. This one is almost charming in comparison.

Edit: Three wild guesses: it’s (a.) one or more keys slightly touching the display, (b.) something inside the hinge itself or (c.) some magnet (inside the trackpad or on the lid) triggering a slight movement of an inside part.

Last edited:

Denumerable

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2016
Worldwide
I just received a replacement device (15", 2.9Ghz, 460, 512GB, Silver). No cracking so far... We'll see tomorrow when I use it some more.

keff

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016

This is exactly the same issues as mine. I have a replacement on the way so we'll see how that fares.

I'm afraid I can't say what's causing it. My suspicion is something expanding/contracting due to heat. Certainly it's a mechanical noise and it shouldn't be happening.

moltar

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
I've also had a lot of cracking noises coming from my 2015 macbook pro. I thought it was the fan being broken, but then I saw a video the other day about something called coil whine in laptops, so maybe that's what's happening.. although I'd say my cracking were a lot more violent than in the video, and of course all the videos you guys have posted as well, so maybe it's something more serious, and it does get very hot, but the fan starts sometimes atleast.. anyway, here's the video if you wanna know more about coil whine:

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I've also had a lot of cracking noises coming from my 2015 macbook pro. I thought it was the fan being broken, but then I saw a video the other day about something called coil whine in laptops, so maybe that's what's happening.. although I'd say my cracking were a lot more violent than in the video, and of course all the videos you guys have posted as well, so maybe it's something more serious, and it does get very hot, but the fan starts sometimes atleast.. anyway, here's the video if you wanna know more about coil whine:

To be honest, I think the issue we're experiencing here is unique to the new 2016 MacBook Pros.

Reactions: Denumerable

Punataro

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008

This is exactly what happens with mine.
15" 2.7 460

Are you going to replace it?

Last edited:

Denumerable

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2016
Worldwide
I still haven't had a pop or crack with this new machine even when I start using it after it was sitting in the cold overnight.

My personal opinion is that if you are experiencing this hinge problem that you exchange your MBP before the return period expires.

I also love the Silver color, for what its worth. ;)

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
I still haven't had a pop or crack with this new machine even when I start using it after it was sitting in the cold overnight.

My personal opinion is that if you are experiencing this hinge problem that you exchange your MBP before the return period expires.

I have my Genius Bar appointment tomorrow. Apple opened up a case on this last week, but appointments are few and far between here in Manchester, UK.
Hoping that I get things resolved tomorrow. A laptop with no clunks or cracks and one with a perfect display (which my current one has, my first had dead pixels) would be perfect. I just want to enjoy owning this thing...

raduene

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Update.
I received a replacement device about 2 days ago and i don't hear any pop or crack sound and no other problems what so ever.
I saw that the new one came with the latest mac os update install on it

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.