Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
I guess I'll give an update.

I handed mine in for testing and diagnostics, with a repair eventually, last Tuesday. They took it in to see what the cause/issue was, but they're really backed up with repairs and testing so they weren't able to get back to me until Friday - from which then they began the repair process. They didn't notice the click sound while using it like I did (happening without touching it), but were able to determine that there was a clicking sound when pushing the lower part of the display ever so gently, as I described earlier in the thread. They have to replace the entire screen, which has me worried as I had a very good display on mine. Hope the new one is good and that it has no clicks as well.

I'm supposed to get it back by Wednesday, which is just over a week. I was in the Apple Store recently and tested the display models and they felt significantly more solid than mine did in the lower display/hinge area.

Reactions: notmetoday

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Another update. I received a call this morning notifying me that they replaced the screen and the vent shaft that is within the hinge and even with the new display the creaking/clicking noise remains. There's nothing more they can do. They're going to replace the original parts and I'm going to have to contact the online store to see if they can ship a replacement. Issue is I'm afraid I'll be without a laptop for weeks now.....

So frustrating.

ZachHarley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Another update. I received a call this morning notifying me that they replaced the screen and the vent shaft that is within the hinge and even with the new display the creaking/clicking noise remains. There's nothing more they can do. They're going to replace the original parts and I'm going to have to contact the online store to see if they can ship a replacement. Issue is I'm afraid I'll be without a laptop for weeks now.....

So frustrating.

Which Apple Store did you go to for the repair?

dovvee

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
I had the same issue with the cracking/popping noise when touching the bottom part of the lid, below the apple logo, when the screen was open. It also did that a when typing on the laptop, while it was on my lap. It was annoying so I took it in for repair. We'll see what they say!

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Well, I received my MacBook Pro. Click remained. Contacted online store support and they check the repair notes from the store, offered to issue replacement. Dropped off the MacBook Pro at a UPS point and now my new Mac should be here in a little while. They said the replacement MacBook Pro's are prioritized so it'll arrive quite quick apparently.

ZachHarley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I took my MacBook Pro to Apple today; they're also replacing the display unit. Hopefully that will fix the issue and I won't need to request a replacement.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Same issue here with a 15" model, tapping/creaking noise when in use or pressing near the MacBook Pro logo... Didn't really want to have to return it, but it's kind of annoying. Will set up an appointment at a store

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Still drawing a blank at what it is causing these cracks/pops (mine can best be heard, a series of three, when laptop is just about to snap closed magnetically)… Holding different areas of the laptop while closing it next to my ears would lead me to think the cracks/pops are loudest when the hinge is near my ears. Could be a mechanical hinge (or glue) issue?

dovvee

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
Mine happens the second I open the screen, and also randomly when using it. It comes from the hinge at the bottom back side it seems. I can leave it open for five minutes and will hear it pop a few times.

vincentlin099

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016
I think it is the speakers as well......It would make sense why it happens after a certain period of time after opening the lid. What I think is happening is, when the computer has had long enough to hibernate, the speaker shuts off. When it comes back on it makes a pop sound. This would also explain why we can't replicate the same sound right after the initial pop by moving the screen in the same angle of movement. If it was a mechanical problem, the same angle and which the hinge was defect would create a consistent sound rather than one time after it has gone to sleep for a while

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I think it is the speakers as well......It would make sense why it happens after a certain period of time after opening the lid. What I think is happening is, when the computer has had long enough to hibernate, the speaker shuts off. When it comes back on it makes a pop sound. This would also explain why we can't replicate the same sound right after the initial pop by moving the screen in the same angle of movement. If it was a mechanical problem, the same angle and which the hinge was defect would create a consistent sound rather than one time after it has gone to sleep for a while

My pops have always come from the speaker grill area. Moving and pressing against my screen does nothing. I'll just get the random pop from the speakers and I'm not always doing the same thing - this happened on the last 2-3 machines.

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Mine also have the pop sound occasionally and definitely not from the speaker as one time it happen few second after I shutdown my 15" Mbp 16

Quasselstripper

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany
Mine also have the pop sound occasionally and definitely not from the speaker as one time it happen few second after I shutdown my 15" Mbp 16
That's interesting. But it could still come from the speaker if there is any kind of circuit still containing some voltage, what do you think?

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
That's interesting. But it could still come from the speaker if there is any kind of circuit still containing some voltage, what do you think?

I'm still leaning towards the hinge/lid area rather than the speakers, since I can reproduce the popping noise by tapping on the bottom bezel, by the MBP logo, or by pressing down on the bottom part of the lid when it's closed

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I'm still leaning towards the hinge/lid area rather than the speakers, since I can reproduce the popping noise by tapping on the bottom bezel, by the MBP logo, or by pressing down on the bottom part of the lid when it's closed
I can't reproduce the issue via trying the above.

Reactions: Quasselstripper

Quasselstripper

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany

I can't reproduce the issue via trying the above.

Yeah, I am also pretty sure that my popping noise does not come from the lid, but rather from the bottom part of the macbook. Speakers could be possible, but could also be something else.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Yeah, I am also pretty sure that my popping noise does not come from the lid, but rather from the bottom part of the macbook. Speakers could be possible, but could also be something else.

Perhaps we're experiencing different issues? I took a look at your video, and noticed that your pop sounds a bit higher pitched than mine (could also be because of the video's audio). My pops sound like plastic clipping into place, if that makes sense, like when opening the lid.

Reactions: powerocool

Punataro

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
I've replaced my MBP, the new one doesn't make the pop sound (for now, on the 1st day).

I don't remember that the previous machine does make sound in its first week, I only noticed the pop sound in the 2nd-3rd week of using.

Reactions: Quasselstripper
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.