Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZachHarley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I did notice it on my new MBP now also, did not notice it in the beginning but my does not sound that high.
But I'm starting to think it's from the speakers so I'll just wait for 10.12.4 and hope that's a fix for it.
No way that this is so widespread and that it's a hardware defect - it's to many effected by this.

Also everything else is great with my new MBP that I did get replaced so I don't want to take the chance to replace it again due to this little issue that I'm thinking is Software related.
I got 3 years of warranty from my AppleCare so I'll just wait and se.
[doublepost=1487595754][/doublepost]

I'm thinking the same way. I do have some thoughts that this maybe are a software bug, see my answer above.

It's not coming from the speakers. You can feel the click when moving the display, which wouldn't occur if it was coming from the speakers.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
It's not coming from the speakers. You can feel the click when moving the display, which wouldn't occur if it was coming from the speakers.

Not the same that I'm talking about, I'm talking about the "pop" sound that can make a sound when the computer are on a plane table etc.

Like in this movie:

ZachHarley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Not the same that I'm talking about, I'm talking about the "pop" sound that can make a sound when the computer are on a plane table etc.

Like in this movie:

Yes, I'm referring to the same sound. It's definitely from the hinge — you can make the same noise when moving the display.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Yes, I'm referring to the same sound. It's definitely from the hinge — you can make the same noise when moving the display.

Ok, but then I don't have that issue. Because I think that my sound are coming from the speakers it sounds more like that or it's the same.
I did have it on all 3 of my replacements so I'm guessing it's not going to help to replace the MBP.

For some of them it did not start until for like 2 weeks use and the first was from the start and this one I have been using for like 2 days and now it's started.

Anyway, I'll not replace this one again - The screen is perfect, no graphic issue, the keyboard is perfect etc.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
For your information, I replaced 4 MacBooks (2 13 and 2 15), pop/click sound on each of them.

Yes, and that's why I think it's a software issue.
Because Apple can't possible have been made all of the MBP 13" and 15" 2016 model in the wrong way. It's not possible.

ZachHarley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Yes, and that's why I think it's a software issue.
Because Apple can't possible have been made all of the MBP 13" and 15" 2016 model in the wrong way. It's not possible.

A software issue wouldn't cause a physically detectable problem.

You should be able to recreate the issue with the following:
  1. Open Terminal and run this command to run the fans at 100%:
    • yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null
  2. Leave the computer without touching it for 5 minutes on a flat surface for the fans to run at full speed.
  3. After 5 minutes, try to adjust the screen. You should hear and feel the click.
  4. Run 'killall yes' to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calby

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle

• yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null & yes &> /dev/null
  2. Leave the computer without touching it for 5 minutes on a flat surface for the fans to run at full speed.
  3. After 5 minutes, try to adjust the screen. You should hear and feel the click.

I'll try it tomorrow, but in your exemple you are moving the lid.
I don't move anything when the sounds go off and the videos here at the forum in does nobody touches the lid either.

Zeusus

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Mine is doing this too - I think I have located the the creak on mine to the black plastic right above the metallic part of the hing. If I gently push there I get the same sound. I wonder if the slight flex in the screen when opened is enough to do this. I'm referring to the black plastic bar that the "MacBook Pro" text is located on. Be careful pushing on it though as my screen glitches a bit (horizontal lines).

Last edited:

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle

Your right, so it's something that expand or what ever when the MBP get's hot.
Well then, I got AppleCare so I 'll just live with it as so many people are having the issue my guess is that this is a disagn flaw

Bonaqua

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2014
Both my wife's 13" TBMBP and my 15" TBMBP makes that creak/crack when moved sideways. Seems to be a design flaw as far as I can tell. They are pretty much flawless other than that -- so we'll live with it just like the above poster intends to do. Apple's QC has really gone downhill it seems.

nm1300

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2017

this has deffinetly re produced the click for me, so what should I do now :)
[doublepost=1488060134][/doublepost]
Your right, so it's something that expand or what ever when the MBP get's hot.
Well then, I got AppleCare so I 'll just live with it as so many people are having the issue my guess is that this is a disagn flaw

not exactly heat related, if you close the lid and then push down on the hinge while opening your laptop you can hear it. also if you push the hinge upward while opening the lid you can also hear it.

this is just to reproduce it , however it occurs under very normal conditions randomly

Punataro

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
I've replaced my MBP, the new one doesn't make the pop sound (for now, on the 1st day).

I don't remember that the previous machine does make sound in its first week, I only noticed the pop sound in the 2nd-3rd week of using.

Just to update here, for about a month of usage, this 2nd replacement never make those pop sound previously heard on my 1st machine.

Reactions: Dydegu and Sanpete

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
I will say that it didn't do this for say the first few weeks or so. I still can't tell where its coming from, but my best guess is it sounds like an electrical spike through the speakers.

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Turned on my computer from dead cold, plugged it into the charger via my LG 5k, waited about 1 minute and then lightly moved the screen on its hinges. This is the same sound that also happens intermittently while the computer warms up.

Bonaqua

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2014
Turned on my computer from dead cold, plugged it into the charger via my LG 5k, waited about 1 minute and then lightly moved the screen on its hinges. This is the same sound that also happens intermittently while the computer warms up.

Besides rattling and having a somewhat stuck enter key my computer has started to make that sound as well. Cant wait to get it serviced but I have to finish a paper before I can do that. Goddamnit.

grahamtaustin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2017
Just got my computer back from the apple store. They replaced the entire top case and the popping noises i'm experiencing are still happening. Going to call Apple tomorrow and sort this out. Should I ask for a new machine? I can't afford to send it in again.

LanceHudson

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
I have this exact issue on my machine.
- clicking of the lid when not been opened for a while
- when heating up there's 3 fairly loud clicks, the same when cooling down. I only seem to get 3.

Do you guys reckon I should take it into the Apple Store, or is there no point as this issue seems to be widespread? Cheers

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Although my computer functions properly, today I decided to leave it at the Apple Store and hope they find a solution. I also left a video in the desktop with a recording of the noise. They told me it could be a trackpad calibration ()which I hope solves this nuance. Worst case I get a new MacBook Pro and just hope it does not have the same problem. I did notice my sound appears at exactly 4:55min. Will update if there is a definite solution to this. The link to my video is here

Reactions: LanceHudson

shootertwist14

macrumors member
May 2, 2016
Hi all,

So I've had my 2016 MacBook Pro since Dec 7th. Love it...
Just interested to know if anyone else has noticed a noticeable click/cracking noise when you're opening the lid of the laptop? Also, there seems to be the odd click during the first half an hour or so of use.

Im not sure if this could be because the machine is heating up slightly or whatever but the click with the lid, bit strange... Only seem to happen when the lid has been closed for a while.

Could be nothing!

hi have you found a solution to this? did it get worse? i also experience this when opening the lid, its my only gripe about my late 2016 mbp, its been great so far, just worried this might get worse? thanks in advance

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Just to update here, for about a month of usage, this 2nd replacement never make those pop sound previously heard on my 1st machine.

Took mine into Apple a couple of weeks ago. Received it back within 4 days or so. They replaced the display which fixed the issue. I don't hear the pop anymore.

I was also having weird issues with an orange tint on the edges of the screen as well as clouding/incostinency when on a white screen.

They fixed all of my issues at no cost because I have AppleCare!

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Took mine into Apple a couple of weeks ago. Received it back within 4 days or so. They replaced the display which fixed the issue. I don't hear the pop anymore.

I was also having weird issues with an orange tint on the edges of the screen as well as clouding/incostinency when on a white screen.

They fixed all of my issues at no cost because I have AppleCare!

How long do they take to fix the popping noise issue? Do they replace the lid or the screen? Or do they give you a new one with your data transferred? FYI I do have AppleCare too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.