Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
No issues on my 2012 rMBP :)

However, I am now scared that I will have an issue like this after waiting 4 weeks on my tbMBP next month :\

I never should've come here

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Haha, well lets see how well Apple QC is, since the initial wave should be sorted out by now.

TBH, Apple move not to allow at least 1mm more travel to the keys is making their own life difficult. And I'm pretty sure most users would appreciate that 1 more mm added travel. The gen2 keys is much better but I would prefer an additional travel still.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Been using my 15" for about 3 months now and just started realising that the "b" key sometimes double registers. I notice that this happens when I press the key on the edge which is how I normally type using my left hand. Has anyone had their keys replaced since I'm clearly passed my 14 days return date.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Been using my 15" for about 3 months now and just started realising that the "b" key sometimes double registers. I notice that this happens when I press the key on the edge which is how I normally type using my left hand. Has anyone had their keys replaced since I'm clearly passed my 14 days return date.
Yeah, it seems the keys gets particular sensitive on the edges, though before trading in, you probably can try what I did which is to spam the b + spacebar (keep the spot where you pressed the key random) to see how often it gets and severe. Give it a few days and see if it "solves" the issue.

My guess is Apple will honour swapping cause it technically is a manufacturing problem.

If only Apple made the keys 1mm more travel, these issues is unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Thanos812007

smacken

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2017
Kabul, Afghanistan
my keyboard only works now for 10 mins after a shutdown. then stops. AppleCare technician was no help. said is a hardware issue. but can't help me until I return to the us in June. for 4k I expect better service.

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
Had the same issue with my 2016 tbMBP - mine was the "t" key and would double-press. Took it into Apple today and (just my luck!) couldn't replicate the problem in store, but they'll probably replace the top case anyways :rolleyes:

smacken

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2017
Kabul, Afghanistan
interestingly, while a usb keyboard is now working ok for me, I could not get a blue tooth to connect to it. This makes me think it may be more than a simple. hardware fix as applecare told me. with all the issues that Apple is having with the keyboards on the new models, I'd go with a new one, push for it, maybe they changed the manufacturing process...I can't imagine they haven't found a fix given the number of failures!

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Yeah, it seems the keys gets particular sensitive on the edges, though before trading in, you probably can try what I did which is to spam the b + spacebar (keep the spot where you pressed the key random) to see how often it gets and severe. Give it a few days and see if it "solves" the issue.

My guess is Apple will honour swapping cause it technically is a manufacturing problem.

If only Apple made the keys 1mm more travel, these issues is unlikely to happen.

I've had this problem for about 2 weeks now but it has been acting well for the past few days. When I noticed it, I did kept pressing on the edge of the key, maybe somehow "fixed" it? It doesn't seem to double register as much as when I first noticed it 2 weeks ago.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I've had this problem for about 2 weeks now but it has been acting well for the past few days. When I noticed it, I did kept pressing on the edge of the key, maybe somehow "fixed" it? It doesn't seem to double register as much as when I first noticed it 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, my guess is Apple decision to make the travel as short as it's makes other keyboard components construction much more critical and as we can see from here, higher error rates. Though fortunately, for the most cases, just spamming the same key seemed to "fix" it.

cem2ran

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
San Junipero
Having the exact same issue with 'b' registering twice. Will try some compressed air. Otherwise the future looks quite unnerving if this in fact is a reoccurring hardware issue...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Having the exact same issue with 'b' registering twice. Will try some compressed air. Otherwise the future looks quite unnerving if this in fact is a reoccurring hardware issue...
Did you just received the machine?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Purchased in December.
Hmm, so you just noticed the issue now? or previously it was okay?

Cause I used to have the issue with my v key but because mine was custom built and it'll take another month to get a replacement model, I decided to try spamming my v key at random spots and eventually the problem just go away.

cem2ran

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
San Junipero
Hmm, so you just noticed the issue now? or previously it was okay?

Cause I used to have the issue with my v key but because mine was custom built and it'll take another month to get a replacement model, I decided to try spamming my v key at random spots and eventually the problem just go away.

I've had the issue close to a week now.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
All my keys work fine, except volume down I have to press left side of it to register individual punches, and even then every once in a while its finnicky

holding it down on right side of volume down, its not responsive at all. individual pecks, rarely.

I can work around it, and my 2016 nTB is now several months old

I cant be bothered to be without a machine, the downtime, or get a replacement keyboard with more obnoxious key issues

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I've had the issue close to a week now.
Have you tried spamming the key? Cause it wont magically disappear over time

I'm having the same issue with the 'l' key.... What should I do?
As courgarcat mentioned, take it to Apple Store or you can do what I suggested which is to spam the I key multi times (like REALLY spam it) in an empty textedit for a couple of days.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Urgh... Just 2 days after posting about how much I liked my maxed-out 15" MBP, yesterday I got hit by the "b key issue" too. It double-registers whenever I slightly slide the finger over the key when typing. Essentially, small movements and swipes of my fingertip on the key are mistaken for multiple presses.

I would normally ask for a replacement, but the laptop is otherwise perfect and I'm dead scared of getting a faulty unit with even worse issues. I have to wait 1 month for a replacement due to the BTO configuration, I swapped it once already (the first time was because they sent me a Mac with the wrong GPU) and can't afford losing time anymore. I purchased the machine to work with it, not to spend my weekends at the Apple Store. However, ignoring the issue and living with it does not feel right at all, especially for a ~5000€ machine!

I will give it a few days and try the compressed air and key-spamming tricks before deciding what to do.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Hmm, I hope they have fixed the issues I had with my 2015 Macbook...the keys could easily get stuck and lose tactility with a tiny piece of dust. Using compressed air around it with the laptop upside down would fix them. I'd rather not have to do this with my new Pro...

Yeah the butterfly mechanism is proving to be unreliable.
I had a 12" Macboko (typo, but I like it and refuse to correct it) with a shoddy Tab-key ("sunken" corner).

I was hoping their ballyhooed mk. II butterfly would sort out the teething troubles of the mk. I, but alas it is just as shoddy.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, if only Apple isn't obsessed with the keys travel length and make it longer :rolleyes:

I like the stability of the new keys, but my fingers fatigue much faster then previous keyboard model.

Ralle

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Oh have I had issues. I got my 13" 2016 MacBook Pro in mid december. About a month later the CMD key started not clicking when hit in the left side. I sent it in for repair and got it back a few days later. To my shock they had changed from International English to Danish (I'm Danish but for programming the english layout is superior). I sent it back and got it the next day. This time the Touch ID button was not flush with the TouchBar, so I sent it back. Finally I got a seemingly perfect MacBook Pro back from repair. Now, two months later, the spacebar has been showing the same signs over the weekend, so today I sent it back AGAIN.

I really want this computer to work. It is soooo great. I have been pondering returning it for an iMac but who wants an iMac from 2015? Apple, please fix this keyboard.

dan89

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
I'm also having keyboard issues with a 15" 2016 MacBook Pro. First the 'b' key was double typing. I've just received the laptop back having been 'repaired'. Now the 'p' key double types, the '5' key is barley responsive, the space bar doesn't work if pressed from the right hand side, and pretty much every key has a different feel & sound. This is a joke from a laptop that cost near £4000. Well, at least the 'magic' bar seems to work...

LunchMercenary

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
So it feels like my "p" key is starting to lose it's "pop" now. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it but is this something I could possibly fix myself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.