Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I know I'm not the person you asked, but on my 13" tbMBP (the battery life of which has been getting some criticism) I get a days worth (8-9 hours) of light usage with screen brightness set at about 60 to 70 percent. Meaning iTunes, Safari, some light photo editing, word processing etc.

In my opinion it's reasonable, and like anyone who uses their machine for anything heavier I do most of that plugged in. One of these days I'm going to check how long the battery lasts under heavier load.

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Oh, my bad. I forgot about the 2 extra ports and slightly faster CPU/GPU. Your technically paying around 200.00 more my mistake. But I really have yet to hear from anyone who's used it for long say it was as useful as they would have expected. And the CPU isn't really much of a step up for another 200.00 if I cared for a touch screen I would have put my money elsewhere. I don't like having a dirty screen either. But having 2 more ports is a worthy note. I just don't have any plans for 2 external monitors. And it does seem like most people haven't gotten a solid battery performance with either touch bar model sadly. I take it you have the touch bar model? If so how long would you say your battery lasts?
The CPU isn't only slightly faster. It's also higher wattage, so it can handle more intense work while the nTB throttles. This requires two fans instead of one, and some other refinements. The graphics processing is also improved. Given that the price difference is $300, the TB probably represents closer to $100 of the price difference. That includes Touch ID, which many think is worth the difference by itself.

While most people yawn at the touch bar, there are numerous posts here and elsewhere from people who find it useful, particularly for apps that are touch-bar aware. Scrubbing audio and video files is one popular use. It no doubt appeals more to people younger than I am who have grown up with touch interfaces.

I have the 15", which gets great battery life. The 13" with TB has more variable battery life, with only a few able to match Apple's claims of ten hours for light use. Some only get about half that, though most seem to be in between, 7-8 hours. Looks like @Mefisto in the post above this is getting 8-9.

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
I know I'm not the person you asked, but on my 13" tbMBP (the battery life of which has been getting some criticism) I get a days worth (8-9 hours) of light usage with screen brightness set at about 60 to 70 percent. Meaning iTunes, Safari, some light photo editing, word processing etc.

In my opinion it's reasonable, and like anyone who uses their machine for anything heavier I do most of that plugged in. One of these days I'm going to check how long the battery lasts under heavier load.

Thanks for sharing. That's good to hear. I watched a review earlier of the 15" pro and I think as long as your not doing heavy CPU/GPU usage through video editing, gaming, and such and just use it for net, and keep the screen reasonably set it seems like people are getting what they should.

To each there own really. I was originally going to buy a 13" mb air for 800.00 after tax on sale, but I wanted to get something that was going to perform for a long time and my wife was cool with me buying the pro on sale, so I got it instead. Unless you got yours on sale I think they're really asking a lot. if you took the full price of the tb model and put that on the entry model, you could upgrade to an i7 CPU (slightly faster than the stock tb model's CPU) and max out the ram to 16GB, and I found out before I bought it but forgot to mention. You can remove the entry model's SSD, so if in the future I decide to upgrade to the 1TB I can. But the touch bar models have everything including the SSD soldered in.

thijsken

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2015
I was having the same issue with my Macbook Pro 13 inch but it solved itself by simply pressing the key 100.000 times. Now the issue seems to have gone.

Reactions: wheelhot

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I was having the same issue with my Macbook Pro 13 inch but it solved itself by simply pressing the key 100.000 times. Now the issue seems to have gone.

Yes, as many have mentioned in this thread, the new keyboard requires tighter tolerances, luckily it can be solved by spamming the keys super a lot of times.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel the keys is more responsive now than when I first got it, it feels more bouncy now. I wonder if the metal dome requires "breaking in"

SnackTime

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013

This fixed my issue but only for a week or so at a time. I'd be cautious of this as a permanent fix. Not that you're damaging the keyboard, but mine has had the same key stop working multiple times. If the issue crops up again I'd consider having it repaired.

Mine again stopped working properly today so I brought it in to be repaired.

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
Yeah, I hope that whatever could go wrong with the keyboard or speakers when I finally get windows 7 installed is out of the way before that 1yr warranty is up. My keyboard has been fine since it's initial issues too. The space bar was the main one, and I think the cold weather was the main proponent for the others. I really like the short travel, it really speeds up my typing most times, but it's still an adjustment.

As for the loudness of the keys I think of what I try to do to keep the volume of the click down as "NINJA-typing" Don't press from long distance and quick pounding motions, just try to place my fingers over the keys and press rather than slam my fingers down. It seems to do the trick, but it's definitely a task to master.

Just as being stealthy like a ninja is a discipline, so is typing like one. ; }

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
I had to turn mine in for servicing. Apple techs did try to replace the key (n key) but it was the butterfly mechanism that failed so they have to ship it out to have the whole keyboard replaced.

Seems they do have a design or testing problem and I can only hope that Apple will identify and produce an improved replacement to those affected by these keyboard problems.

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
I had to turn mine in for servicing. Apple techs did try to replace the key (n key) but it was the butterfly mechanism that failed so they have to ship it out to have the whole keyboard replaced.

Seems they do have a design or testing problem and I can only hope that Apple will identify and produce an improved replacement to those affected by these keyboard problems.

I wondered about that when I saw so many people saying that they had keys DOA when they got them back when it first released. I read one person who received theirs that way and apple asked if they could replace it to capture the one they sent back to figure out what the issue was coming from. So that was positive to hear. I'm sure if it is as common as it seems they'll probably do that. I know I read they did that for people that ended up having screen failures due to a problem with a hinge on an earlier model.

It is a bummer though..

Reactions: blackcypher

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
Yeah it is, I bought my TB MBP online for over $4k so there's doubt in my head now about the quality of the newer features (like the new butterfly 2 mechanism).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
Yeah it is, I bought my TB MBP online for over $4k so there's doubt in my head now about the quality of the newer features (like the new butterfly 2 mechanism).

Do you have apple care or a factory warranty on it still? If so, I've read other posts in case you happen to have more issues other than the keyboard that others were able to get a refund from apple. Some people had they're keyboard fixed in a few cases 3 times before they demanded a refund, but if you get the keys replaced and have another major malfunction I'd just get your money back. Wait until the 2017 model has been out for a minute if you decide you still want a macbook and get that. But I'd figure the last thing they want is to have to issue a refund b/c they couldn't figure out how to fix they're keyboard. So I'm sure whatever they would replace it with by now should be more solid. Yeah, this is my first apple laptop, and I'd hate to have to replace the keys once the warranty is up, it's 450.00 for the keyboard.

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
Do you have apple care or a factory warranty on it still? If so, I've read other posts in case you happen to have more issues other than the keyboard that others were able to get a refund from apple. Some people had they're keyboard fixed in a few cases 3 times before they demanded a refund, but if you get the keys replaced and have another major malfunction I'd just get your money back. Wait until the 2017 model has been out for a minute if you decide you still want a macbook and get that. But I'd figure the last thing they want is to have to issue a refund b/c they couldn't figure out how to fix they're keyboard. So I'm sure whatever they would replace it with by now should be more solid. Yeah, this is my first apple laptop, and I'd hate to have to replace the keys once the warranty is up, it's 450.00 for the keyboard.

Yes, since it's a 2016 Touchbar model, it's covered under Applecare. Surprisingly, it took 5 business days to get them to send it back directly to my home after turning it in at the Apple Store Genius Bar. I'm typing on the new keyboard and it feels just like when it was out of the box. While it's not perfect and heat does play some factor into some loud clicking noises, I simply compensated by installing a fan control app called Mac Fan Control and set it so the fans come on sooner than normal.

Reactions: bartvk

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I simply compensated by installing a fan control app called Mac Fan Control and set it so the fans come on sooner than normal.

Yup I do the same on basically every MacBook I've owned. Apple seems to not mind heating the innards if it reduces fan noise but I'm not really sensitive to that particular kind of noise.

Reactions: blackcypher

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
The left shift key on my 2016 15.4" TB has started to die and has lost its normal spring feel and click, so that it is difficult to tell if it has been depressed or not. I suppose that will be a long visit to my local Mac repairer, who is 90 minutes drive away in Aix-en-Provence. Of course, the local Apple branch will only stock AZERTY keyboards, so a QWERTY will have to be ordered in either from Holland or Ireland. I suppose it might just be that a single key can be replaced but I doubt it. It may I suppose spontaneously recover like the rattling touchpad did.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
The left shift key on my 2016 15.4" TB has started to die and has lost its normal spring feel and click, so that it is difficult to tell if it has been depressed or not. I suppose that will be a long visit to my local Mac repairer, who is 90 minutes drive away in Aix-en-Provence. Of course, the local Apple branch will only stock AZERTY keyboards, so a QWERTY will have to be ordered in either from Holland or Ireland. I suppose it might just be that a single key can be replaced but I doubt it. It may I suppose spontaneously recover like the rattling touchpad did.

I think a spontaneous recovery is unlikely unless there is something physically blocking the mechanism that air blasting can remove. Some of the cases are from lodged particles. Others are from failure of the mechanism itself. Unfortunately, it appears that these failures can and do occur with normal use.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The question is, does Apple see this problem as a manifacturing problem and solve it with the possible update on WWDC ?
I'm pretty sure Apple knows about the issue and probably has solved it. Especially with the coming update.

Reactions: serkan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The question is, does Apple see this problem as a manifacturing problem and solve it with the possible update on WWDC ?
Yeah I think so, though I don't believe we'll hear anything about it at WWDC, it may very well be a silent fix. If anything they'll say they created version 3 of the butterfly keyboard but short of that, I don't think they'll say much

Reactions: Queen6 and serkan

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

I would hope so, even if it is a silent update where they just take steps under the hood to increase durability. Given the nature of the construction (with implications of a huge repair bill if outside of warranty), this is a more significant issue than if replacement was a simple DIY process.

The amount of issues people are having with the new keyboard design appear to be relatively low considering how many MBPs have sold...but at the same time, it appears people are having significantly more issues with this design than the previous design (which has arguably proven itself over the decade+ of one of the industry's most reliable laptop keyboard implementations!) As this new butterfly gen hasn't even been out for a year, it will be interesting to see how these hold up in the long-term - depending on the outcome, I may sell mine before AppleCare runs out and purchase another, to ensure I always have a machine under warranty, although this isn't ideal for me, personally.

Reactions: wheelhot and serkan

DavesDesigns

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
I have two 13" tMBP and my friend is using 4 of the 15" models in his studio. I also have a friend working at Apple here in LA and she's always giving me the lowdown on what's happening with service and various horror stories.

Keyboard issues are NOT common. I'm sorry, but the voices of darkness here have an agenda (which we see when any premium product is released, be it a camera, car or computer).

I have no doubt that there are a few bad keyboards out there, but it's not some rampant issue, or it would be instantly observable web-wide and there's be 10's of thousands of reports on it.

If the keyboard is not right for you, exchange it.

R.
im sorry but i have to disagree. i picked mine up December of 2016, "W" key unresponsive, they did a top case replacement.. I got my machine back with a loose power button/Touch id because it wasn't seated correctly, And now the "B" is double tapping.. Unfortunately this is a bigger issue than thought.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
im sorry but i have to disagree. i picked mine up December of 2016, "W" key unresponsive, they did a top case replacement.. I got my machine back with a loose power button/Touch id because it wasn't seated correctly, And now the "B" is double tapping.. Unfortunately this is a bigger issue than thought.
So because you have had a few issues, this makes it a widespread common issue? There are millions of these devices sold. If it was truly a big issue, it would be known by now.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Adding to that, DavesDesigns might want to catch up on what CaptRB actually thinks about the keyboard at this point. There were at least a couple of threads by him on the subject, if memory serves. The abridged version: No es bueno in his opinion.

I'm still liking mine quite a bit, no issues whatsoever. Knock on wood.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Adding to that, DavesDesigns might want to catch up on what CaptRB actually thinks about the keyboard at this point. There were at least a couple of threads by him on the subject, if memory serves. The abridged version: No es bueno in his opinion.

I'm still liking mine quite a bit, no issues whatsoever. Knock on wood.

Exactly right. I ate a lot of crow on this after defending the new MBP keyboard.

4 months later MY keyboard began to fail, double typing B key and a dying space bar. Find my posts on this. This IS a major issue and Apple admitted it (at least to me) on 4 separate occasions.

They refunded me in FULL against a new iMac and MacBook Air combo.

I wouldn't touch another MBP until these issues are corrected. And yes, 2017 units are also effected.

R

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
Exactly right. I ate a lot of crow on this after defending the new MBP keyboard.

4 months later MY keyboard began to fail, double typing B key and a dying space bar. Find my posts on this. This IS a major issue and Apple admitted it (at least to me) on 4 separate occasions.

They refunded me in FULL against a new iMac and MacBook Air combo.

I wouldn't touch another MBP until these issues are corrected. And yes, 2017 units are also effected.

R

That's interesting - I had the same issue on my tbMBP (2016) in that I believe my 't' key was doubletapping (effectively straight out the box - happened at the start of the year so I can't actually remember). Ironically when I took it into the Apple Store the problem seemed to have resolved itself (typical... :rolleyes:) and I haven't had any further issues since. I'd be inclined to believe it was either something software related or like someone said earlier, tolerances...

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
That's interesting - I had the same issue on my tbMBP (2016) in that I believe my 't' key was doubletapping (effectively straight out the box - happened at the start of the year so I can't actually remember). Ironically when I took it into the Apple Store the problem seemed to have resolved itself (typical... :rolleyes:) and I haven't had any further issues since. I'd be inclined to believe it was either something software related or like someone said earlier, tolerances...

What I was told by Apple is that the keyboards have an issue with any type of debris. I'm not sure it's the only issue, but I was told it's the primary problem.

That's why I refused a replacement and went for different machines.

R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.