Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LunchMercenary

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Almost certainly not.

So would you suggest taking it back and returning it? I like the keyboard on this but part of me thinks I should go back to the 2015 model since that one just 'works'. Now I'm afraid for future failures down the line.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
So it feels like my "p" key is starting to lose it's "pop" now. I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it but is this something I could possibly fix myself?

Could be a bit of debris underneath. There are reportedly Youtube videos showing how to remove and put back on a key for these new keyboards, so you could look and see if you think it's worth a try. Some here have gone as far as to repair their own clicky keys.

As for the future of the keyboard, if it turns out to be a problem for many owners, I expect Apple will provide free repairs or replacements as needed. But most people aren't having any trouble.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
So would you suggest taking it back and returning it? I like the keyboard on this but part of me thinks I should go back to the 2015 model since that one just 'works'. Now I'm afraid for future failures down the line.

That is what I would do. Note that I despise the keyboard on the 2016. There are numerous reports on Apple's support forums that highlight keyboard failures are a significant issue.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Could be a bit of debris underneath. There are reportedly Youtube videos showing how to remove and put back on a key for these new keyboards, so you could look and see if you think it's worth a try. Some here have gone as far as to repair their own clicky keys.

As for the future of the keyboard, if it turns out to be a problem for many owners, I expect Apple will provide free repairs or replacements as needed. But most people aren't having any trouble.

will apple just clean a key if i bring it in? i dont want to do it myself,its also my understanding these keyboards arent as easy to pop off without messing up,

not sure i want a whole new keyboard and to roll the dice, vs something thats quriky but ultimately i can live with for now (especially seeing people with multiple letter keys issue, that sucks, and repairs making things worse)

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
will apple just clean a key if i bring it in?

Depending on what the cause is, they could replace the whole top panel. Meaning the whole keyboard, battery and who knows what else is included.

At least that's what happened to a friend of mine who had some issues with his keyboard.

xvilo

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
So I've bought a 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar 13" 256GB version and I'm using the second replacement by now.
1) DOA after a few hours it wouldn't charge and then it didn't do anything anymore and said there was in important update to do but failed.
2) Broken "+/=" key. (Exchanged it this morning for a new machine).

And now the "H" key is sometimes working, and some times it isn't. You have to press very hard to have it registered....
It seems that there are some big issues with these machines!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So I've bought a 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar 13" 256GB version and I'm using the second replacement by now.
1) DOA after a few hours it wouldn't charge and then it didn't do anything anymore and said there was in important update to do but failed.
2) Broken "+/=" key. (Exchanged it this morning for a new machine).

And now the "H" key is sometimes working, and some times it isn't. You have to press very hard to have it registered....
It seems that there are some big issues with these machines!

Yikes ya no way I'm doing the repair gamble right now

mpatrickwirth

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Belleville, Michigan
Over the last two weeks I have had the same issues with my spacebar registering twice every third or fourth press.

I bought a 13" TB MBP base spec at launch and this is the first issue I have had. I exhausted all the troubleshooting suggestions from Apple chat. I opted to call for a mail in repair over and appointment at the Apple Store. Mainly I was just concerned they would have sent it in anyway and redid everything I already did

I had no issues when paired with my Magic Keyboard so I am assuming it is a hardware issue, especially after reading this thread. I'm hoping for a quick and thorough repair or a replacement. As frustrating as the experience is to deal with when you write for a living, the customer service was still excellent.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Adding my two cents... I own a business and have two 15" MBP with TB.

First MBP, malfunctioning letter key. Repair dude says it was dirt and they just cleaned it. Now works okay. Second one now has a malfunctioning number key, bringing it in for repair next week. The keyboard is definitely the weakest link.

Do not, under any circumstances, eat near this laptop. But even then.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
i had a mushy key - had to pry it up and blow it out with some air duster. completely unacceptable for a PC thats been babied as much as mine has. my experiences, reading others - does not seem like these PCs will have great longevity.

i wish Apple would admit the fault and offer an extended keyboard warranty - realizing they built a subpar quality component of the laptop.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I believe the issue lies more to how short the keystroke is which makes everything much more sensitive. Honestly, I liked the size and stability of the keys, but I wished its keystroke is longer, my fingers feel fatigue much faster on these keyboards then the previous chiclet keyboards.

mpatrickwirth

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Belleville, Michigan
Over the last two weeks I have had the same issues with my spacebar registering twice every third or fourth press.

I bought a 13" TB MBP base spec at launch and this is the first issue I have had. I exhausted all the troubleshooting suggestions from Apple chat. I opted to call for a mail in repair over and appointment at the Apple Store. Mainly I was just concerned they would have sent it in anyway and redid everything I already did

I had no issues when paired with my Magic Keyboard so I am assuming it is a hardware issue, especially after reading this thread. I'm hoping for a quick and thorough repair or a replacement. As frustrating as the experience is to deal with when you write for a living, the customer service was still excellent.

Update:

I received my macbook back this morning. It received a new battery, top case, and keyboard. It seems to be functioning normally as of now. I guess time will tell how this repair holds up.

Reactions: Sanpete

frankc92

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
thought about trading in my 2015 for a 2016... now after all these issues.. might just have to wait for the refresh before pulling the plug. argh.

edit: aka wait 3 years

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
I have a MBP 13" without a touch bar. I've had it about 6 weeks. So far some of the keys have been a little sticky when cold. I had it in my semi truck at work and it would get cold, but after a few presses they were fine. The only real problem I've had with the keys is the space bar. The right side which I use predominantly got mushy and didn't click on the right, but it would still work. Just had to push it a little harder, but it also worked it self out. Though the right side of the space bar does sit a little bit lower than the left.

The only other thing that has happened is the computer crashed twice and had to reboot. But I was installing a lot of software when I first got it so I think I just didn't reboot it afterward and that was probably the cause. The battery has been perfect. I don't work it hard much. I haven't really gotten into video editing or music yet(which is what I bought if for along with the battery life). But I get probably 9-10hrs out of it. It's usually about 2 days before it gets to 20% or lower. I don't have a problem with it not having a mag safe plug as it only takes 2hrs to fully charge the battery and I just put it some where that doesn't leave the cable vulnerable to a snag. (also I don't have kids) Everything else, usb-c ports (I can't wait till a thunderbolt 3 flash stick becomes available to take advantage of the 40gbs data transfer), headphone jack, speakers, touch pad, screen, hinge, and wifi (I've never seen so many wireless connections come up on a wifi device) all seem to be in flawless working order.

This is my first macbook, so it was a bit disheartening to have issue with the space bar but it was good to see someone on here had apple request to keep they're defective laptop to investigate and correct the issues with the keyboard. So if I do have to have to keyboard replaced before the warranty is up it will likely be an improved version with the kinks worked out. I really like the keyboard. My older laptop has never had an issue with it's keyboard but it is a very mushy keyboard.

The only thing I think I could say was lame was to get rid of the SD card slot, and I think the touch bar is a waste. 3-400 extra for a bar that just puts an image under your fingers for what you would other wise use the touch pad for or a physical button. They should have just ran a mock ad that had a person looking at it and then showed them try to touch the screen and a hand pops up or the touch bar slaps there hand away.

Apple just needs to suck it up and make a touch screen if they want to remain relevant, or since they have such large track pads, make that compatible with the apple pencil or put a screen behind that. I don't like cleaning up a screen to remove finger prints and the touch pad could be like the gorilla glass. Stupid touch bar. The only thing relevant is the touch id, no need to enter passwords, confirm payment with it, multiple user login at the touch of a button. That is a nice feature. I feel sorry for those who bought that version, smaller battery, and so many issues. And I've heard no one who reviewed it yet that has said it really made anything but a distraction as they had to look at it rather than the screen when working with it.

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
3-400 extra for a bar that just puts an image under your fingers for what you would other wise use the touch pad for or a physical button.
The touch bar does more than that, of course, and a lot of people do find it useful, but in any case, Apple isn't charging them as $3-400 more for it. The version with touch bar also has other improvements, including a better CPU and more ports.

It would be fine with me if Apple offered a touch screen, but I hope they never make it more than optional. I don't want to pay for something I won't use. I like a clean, unscratched screen.

Reactions: HenryDJP

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I hope Apple don't go touchscreen on their notebook, at least in its current form factor, it just doesn't make sense. People complain about the touchbar, a touch screen display is worse.

I do like the idea of having your trackpad to work alongside Apple Pencil, at least for those graphic artists, they now have a portable mini Wacom like device with them.

Also while the touchbar isn't a must-have feature, it's also not a useless feature either, I used it more than my function keys and having the ability to access some features directly from the keyboard (on apps that support it, like Affinity Design and Photo) is a very neat feature.

analog5

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2017
The touch bar does more than that, of course, and a lot of people do find it useful, but in any case, Apple isn't charging them as $3-400 more for it. The version with touch bar also has other improvements, including a better CPU and more ports.

It would be fine with me if Apple offered a touch screen, but I hope they never make it more than optional. I don't want to pay for something I won't use. I like a clean, unscratched screen.

Oh, my bad. I forgot about the 2 extra ports and slightly faster CPU/GPU. Your technically paying around 200.00 more my mistake. But I really have yet to hear from anyone who's used it for long say it was as useful as they would have expected. And the CPU isn't really much of a step up for another 200.00 if I cared for a touch screen I would have put my money elsewhere. I don't like having a dirty screen either. But having 2 more ports is a worthy note. I just don't have any plans for 2 external monitors. And it does seem like most people haven't gotten a solid battery performance with either touch bar model sadly. I take it you have the touch bar model? If so how long would you say your battery lasts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.