Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
Surely the daily wear causes from opening and closing the cables constantly will greatly increase the chance the cable breaks, but it also possible that the issue happens faster/more frequently in machines that are pushed hard, where constantly higher temps cause the cable to become brittle over time. Also there could have been a batch of cables that was bad, while later batches had better QC.
All very valid points that I completely agree with.
I have to imagine Apple (like any other manufacturer) had an automated stress test to replicate the constant opening and closing of the lid 1000s of times, and I doubt they would have released the MacBook Pro knowing the screen wasn’t going to pass that test. I think high heat is going to play a factor (something not likely down when they conducted the QC stress tests).
Agree here also. But we don't know what parameters they used when conducting those tests, the screen might have been set to only open 100 or 110 degrees, not accounting for that some people may frequently open the screen way more than that, or heat factors as you suggest.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
we don't know what parameters they used when conducting those tests, the screen might have been set to only open 100 or 110 degrees, not accounting for that some people may frequently open the screen way more than that
This is a very true possibility too, and unfortunately we probably will never have the final details on what causes the issue. Either way I am sure at some point there will be a repair program announced for this, and it’ll be a gamble since we won’t know the full causes surrounding the issues.

Reactions: afir93 and Olivia88

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
This video actually is an interesting interview with ifixit themselves and they expand on their findings. Towards the end he indicates that this will be a potential issue for all 2016 and later MacBook Pros.

Great information thanks. Yea it's a disaster, same as the keyboard, it can only get worse/riskier as time passes.

See crack when cable is flexing, this was taken from the video, it seems a matter of when not if:

I5LltTl.png

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’m happy for the folks who have good solid working 2016 and onwards systems. The T2 issues, keyboard issues, display issues, and audio issues, all show that Apple can and should do better.

I hope they get their act together soon.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar... ordered the day they released.

Stage light started about 2 weeks ago and was around a week until the backlight stopped all together when open more that about 60 degrees.

I do have Apple Care luckily and have an appointment on Saturday so I will see what the verdict it!

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I hope Apple learns their lesson from this: stop soldering, gluing stuff or fusing cables into displays. Make things modular, like before. Sure it might be a hair thicker, I'd rather replace a $1 cable than $600 screen. Stop the thinness addition.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I hope Apple learns their lesson from this: stop soldering, gluing stuff or fusing cables into displays. Make things modular, like before. Sure it might be a hair thicker, I'd rather replace a $1 cable than $600 screen. Stop the thinness addition.
With the new MacBook Air moving back in this direction (a little) I’m hoping we might just see a little bit more common sense in terms of modularity when they redesign the pro. Break up the logic board a bit, allow a few individual components to be replaced, don’t glue the battery in so permanently etc.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
trifid wrote:
"I hope Apple learns their lesson from this: stop soldering, gluing stuff or fusing cables into displays. Make things modular, like before. Sure it might be a hair thicker, I'd rather replace a $1 cable than $600 screen. Stop the thinness addition."

Revive the 2015 design.
Call it the "MacBook Pro Retro Edition" or something like that.
Let the market decide.

ScreenSurfer

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2019
I have had the exact same thing happen to my 2016 MacBook Pro which I bought straight after it’s realise.

My issue started with the stage lights along the bottom of the screen and about a month later the whole backlight went.

When I first purchased the Mac it arrived with the ‘2’ key duplicating characters when pressed. I had this replaced under warranty with a new top cover but low and behold the ‘x’ key is now experiencing the same issues and the Mac is now out of warranty. I’ve just been living with the issue because I hardly ever use the ‘x’ key.

I have yet to have any repair carried out and I don’t think I will if it’s going to cost £500+ just for the display issue let alone the keyboard problem.

Hopefully apple will issue some kind of out of warranty service plan for this but until then I’m in two minds as to whether replace the Macbook with something different or carry on trying to use my iPhone in its place.

Considering this is an issue that’s starting to affect more and more people hopefully apple will take not but this isn’t the sort of product experience I was expecting when I first got the MacBook.

You can now get the keyboard replaced 4 years after purchase:

https://www.apple.com/ae/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
trifid wrote:
"I hope Apple learns their lesson from this: stop soldering, gluing stuff or fusing cables into displays. Make things modular, like before. Sure it might be a hair thicker, I'd rather replace a $1 cable than $600 screen. Stop the thinness addition."

Revive the 2015 design.
Call it the "MacBook Pro Retro Edition" or something like that.
Let the market decide.

Everything stated could be done in current design (13") if 10% battery life is sacrificed.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
you guys are clearly using your macbook pros wrong. as you can from the first image shows on the page of the mbp on the apples webpage, you should only open it just alittle bit.

06fc9ba3169e44651c20c068e5026901.jpg

more power
more performance
more pro
and more dick? the cam pointing str8 to your groins...

oh the irony between the too tight cable and the image

ScreenSurfer

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2019
What I understood was the first sale of the unit - meaning if one sells as second hand after 2 years from his brand new purchase, his buyer would still have 2 years for the keyboard replacement warranty. Please correct me if I am wrong.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
you guys are clearly using your macbook pros wrong. as you can from the first image shows on the page of the mbp on the apples webpage, you should only open it just alittle bit.

06fc9ba3169e44651c20c068e5026901.jpg

more power
more performance
more pro
and more dick? the cam pointing str8 to your groins...

oh the irony between the too tight cable and the image

Lmao, thanks for the laugh. It was very good.

Reactions: Painter2002

sg9

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
I'd rather have any other keyboard without warranty anyway. The least they could do is make gen 3 backwards compatible.

rperlow

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Here's an update on our Macbook Pro display problem. At the recommendation of Apple's phone support, I took the computer back to the store where we purchased it to have it looked at. The manager and support person helping us were both nice and helpful, but neither had seen the issue before and were not familiar with the flexgate controversy.

I was told that until Apple came out with a quality program there wasn't much they could do about it except replace the screen. Normal price would have been $635. They were able to offer an instore replacement for $475. I decided to take them up on the instore replacement with the hope that if Apple ever offers a quality program, we will be reimbursed.

While at the store, I mentioned we occasionally have an issue with a stuck shift key (though it wasn't a problem at the moment). A diagnostic they ran at the store also indicated the battery was failing. I was told that they could combine replacement services for the battery and keyboard without adding further cost to the display repair.

If all is handled as described, we'll end up with a computer in about a week that is almost full replacement parts for the $475 charge. I can't say I'm happy to be spending an additional $475 to replace a computer I purchased in October 2016, but it's a deal I can live with if I can get another few years out of the computer.

If any additional surprise costs come up when it's serviced, I'll dump the Macbook and put the money toward a Windows laptop instead.

Reactions: trifid

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Here's an update on our Macbook Pro display problem. At the recommendation of Apple's phone support, I took the computer back to the store where we purchased it to have it looked at. The manager and support person helping us were both nice and helpful, but neither had seen the issue before and were not familiar with the flexgate controversy.

I was told that until Apple came out with a quality program there wasn't much they could do about it except replace the screen. Normal price would have been $635. They were able to offer an instore replacement for $475. I decided to take them up on the instore replacement with the hope that if Apple ever offers a quality program, we will be reimbursed.

While at the store, I mentioned we occasionally have an issue with a stuck shift key (though it wasn't a problem at the moment). A diagnostic they ran at the store also indicated the battery was failing. I was told that they could combine replacement services for the battery and keyboard without adding further cost to the display repair.

If all is handled as described, we'll end up with a computer in about a week that is almost full replacement parts for the $475 charge. I can't say I'm happy to be spending an additional $475 to replace a computer I purchased in October 2016, but it's a deal I can live with if I can get another few years out of the computer.

If any additional surprise costs come up when it's serviced, I'll dump the Macbook and put the money toward a Windows laptop instead.

I really hope you do get the $475 reimbursed at some point. I wouldn't count on it, but it would be a nice surprise if they do. On the bright side though, you are getting a lot of work done for the $475 and I hope you get many good years out of it for the money spent :)

lokitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
India
This is good news, I work for a company that uses only Apple product and in the year 2016, we brought 160 laptops MacBook Pro 15 top model then out of 160 laptops so far 20 laptops are affected with this display flex cable issue not sure how many would be further and 56 laptops are affected with the keyboard issue that's ok Apple accepted that. No problem, we got repaired all 20 laptops by Apple and paid the charges for the entire display this was nice thing actually. great design!

still, not expecting that 2018 MBP would a reliable laptop, so we are going for Surface laptop this year. We always love Apple!

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Just had the stage lighting issue start on my nTB 2016 13" MacBook Pro. It's been pampered, and not heavily used, its entire existence, and in perfect physical shape. I also have a 2016 TB 13" MBP for work, and it's received about 3x the usage, and no effect. So it seems like a particular design flaw or cable production range to me. Of course, I'm our of warranty, so hoping apple gets it together and issues a repair program.
[doublepost=1550135869][/doublepost]T
This is good news, I work for a company that uses only Apple product and in the year 2016, we brought 160 laptops MacBook Pro 15 top model then out of 160 laptops so far 20 laptops are affected with this display flex cable issue not sure how many would be further and 56 laptops are affected with the keyboard issue that's ok Apple accepted that. No problem, we got repaired all 20 laptops by Apple and paid the charges for the entire display this was nice thing actually. great design!

still, not expecting that 2018 MBP would a reliable laptop, so we are going for Surface laptop this year. We always love Apple!
This is a big proof point that it's a design flaw. Do you have any documentation you can share, or forward to apple to help accelerate their acknowledgment of the issue?

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Nov 12, 2016
You guys experiencing this issue and generally frustrated with Apple should be pissed at Tim Cook and the Apple leadership. It’s been years now since Steve passed, and they’ve basically become complacent and lack passion. They’re now like a car manufacturer. Ignition problems that cause fires and kill people? More expensive to recall everything and just pay lawsuits? Do nothing.

Cook should be fired and a CEO needs to come in that is much different.

Reactions: SDColorado and d0nK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.