Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Apple will only address it with a repair program if a class action suit occurs and/or enough public outcry.

This is not true at all. Your claiming Apple will ONLY issue a repair program if public outcry or a class action occurs? Sure class action lawsuits and public outcry help or speed up the process but it’s not ONLY method of introducing a repair program for said issues.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As Painter wrote above, it will take a lawsuit or two before Apple decides to implement an "extended warranty program" for FlexGate as they already have for StainGate.

Once again, makes me happy with my decision to buy a 2015-design MBP in December of 2016 (rather than one of the "new" models)...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Once again, makes me happy with my decision to buy a 2015-design MBP in December of 2016 (rather than one of the "new" models).
For me, it was a decision to leave the platform and I'm pleased as punch with my new laptop. More so about the news thread about apple dropping intel.

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
im worried about this as well mine has apple care and if it fails it should be around $100 to replace the screen, I read somewhere that this problem happened when you open the display to the max angle possible and give it a little force this happens unintentionally, that's what I read and not every macbook from 2016 and on has had this issue and supposedly if you open the lid no more than 110 angle and open it gently it shouldn't have problems :rolleyes:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Name one repair program that did not have public outcry or class action lawsuits.

From the top of my head, most HDD/SSD recall programs of recent. A number of battery-related programs as well. iPhone X touchscreen.

Reactions: BuCkDoG

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
im worried about this as well mine has apple care and if it fails it should be around $100 to replace the screen, I read somewhere that this problem happened when you open the display to the max angle possible and give it a little force this happens unintentionally, that's what I read and not every macbook from 2016 and on has had this issue and supposedly if you open the lid no more than 110 angle and open it gently it shouldn't have problems :rolleyes:
I need my MBP for work and can't take it in for repair until this huge project I'm working on is done. After that, I'm going to see if I can persuade them to fix or replace it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
its enough of a problem that between that and the keyboard failure rate, I'm not buying another MacBook Pro when this one poops out and is out of warranty / prohibitively expensive to repair

...already happened to me once, but was covered because I still have AppleCare

also results in a screen lottery again, instead of just replacing the dang cable. fortunately my replacement display is pretty solid, but I must have gotten incredibly lucky twice on that one

Reactions: Queen6

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Name one repair program that did not have public outcry or class action lawsuits.

Very easily. iPhone X Touchscreen Issue, MacBook SSD Issue and Logic Board Issue. Please learn your facts before you comment.

rayriceroni00

Suspended
Nov 12, 2016

They are charging money even if you have apple Care? Yeah no way I'd scream to high heaven.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I would think they are going to have to address it. According to iFixit, every single MacBook Pro from 2016 and on is going to eventually have this issue. Apple is no doubt going to have to change this design as well.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i hope they will - but in a reality, think about how many laptops they have sold that need to be repaired on some point, from 2016 to this day... not gonna happen. they will silently fix the design error for new models and just let customers to pay the flexgate issue when it happens...

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I'm not sure about macbook's, but the iphone's have a 90 day warranty. You can say that the issue happened RIGHT after the repair and hopefully they will cover it. My 2017 macbook pro's display had to be replaced during a keyboard repair. They could of placed the wire badly or something.

Never hurts to try. Worst thing they say is no.

EDIT: I just remembered that they replace the top case, thus they need to take the display out of the body. You should mention this if they refuse to do it for free.

Last edited:

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I'm not sure about macbook's, but the iphone's have a 90 day warranty. You can say that the issue happened RIGHT after the repair and hopefully they will cover it. My 2017 macbook pro's display had to be replaced during a keyboard repair. They could of placed the wire badly or something.

Never hurts to try. Worst thing they say is no.

EDIT: I just remembered that they replace the top case, thus they need to take the display out of the body. You should mention this if they refuse to do it for free.
It's not a good look for the brand if their reputation hurts future sales. Cross my fingers.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
From the top of my head, most HDD/SSD recall programs of recent. A number of battery-related programs as well. iPhone X touchscreen.

I brought my old 2008 MBP in for a battery bulging problem. It was way out of warranty - they put in a new battery for no charge and sent me on my way. Sometimes the guy at the Genius Bar will fix something for you without a lot of effort on your part.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I would think they are going to have to address it. According to iFixit, every single MacBook Pro from 2016 and on is going to eventually have this issue. Apple is no doubt going to have to change this design as well.
Questionable. Apple really only needs it to last a year. We know the warranty when we purchase. Not on Apple’s side just saying. Apple seems to be designing that requires expensive repairs and seems like cheaper builds that does not last like Apple’s been known for.

lokitech

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
India
Just had the stage lighting issue start on my nTB 2016 13" MacBook Pro. It's been pampered, and not heavily used, its entire existence, and in perfect physical shape. I also have a 2016 TB 13" MBP for work, and it's received about 3x the usage, and no effect. So it seems like a particular design flaw or cable production range to me. Of course, I'm our of warranty, so hoping apple gets it together and issues a repair program.
[doublepost=1550135869][/doublepost]T

This is a big proof point that it's a design flaw. Do you have any documentation you can share, or forward to apple to help accelerate their acknowledgment of the issue?

What document are you talking about, is the repair invoice? well, I'm going to send more 3 laptops for screen repair so I thought to share a video about the issue, these laptop screens' go off after opening 45 degrees.

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
So I managed to spill a drop of tea on my 2018 MBP's trackpad today.
I'm pretty sure nothing got inside, but I didn't want to risk anything so I took the cover off and am going to let it be open a day or two.

While it was opened, I thought I'd take two pictures of the flex cable and compare it to the video on page 2

Opened 90 Degrees:
90Deg.png

Opened Max:
120Deg.png

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
That really sucks. The MacBook can't even handle the situation which is well within its design basis. So all MacBooks using these flex cables will eventually experience failure if opened to its maximum degree which is 120 repeatedly. Where is any kind of stress testing done to these machines? I cannot believe they didn't foresee this before releasing it. It just baffles me to no end.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
I'm pretty sure nothing got inside, but I didn't want to risk anything so I took the cover off and am going to let it be open a day or two.

While it was opened, I thought I'd take two pictures of the flex cable and compare it to the video on page 2

Opened 90 Degrees:
View attachment 823628

Opened Max:
View attachment 823629

position of angle 120 degrees looks more like this, on your picture looks like 130 degrees
pro_120_42023_md.gif

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Holding the phone wrong vs saving apple, bringing in a Unix based OS that is superior to Windows, changing the mp3 music player market, making tablets mainstream, and revolutionizing the the smart phone world. Hmmm...

Thousands of people at Apple don’t influence innovation. Only a handful at the top are really in charge, and they’re flat on their backs. They’re riding successful products of the past and I still love them, but 1990s Apple is coming again if they keep going this way.
[doublepost=1550157674][/doublepost]You also asked what I would do? Simple. I’d start by saying “small and thin” is an outdated philosophy. We no longer want tiny phones. So why do we want half inch think laptops? Reintroduce the 17 inch MBP with a 15+ hour battery and the power user world would wipe the inventory. Change the 15 so it’s a bit beefier and get rid of that stupid as hell Touch Bar that serves no purpose.

Your on a roll, keep it going...

Q-6
[doublepost=1551230572][/doublepost]

Opened 90 Degrees:
View attachment 823628

Opened Max:
View attachment 823629

Unfortunately Apple now trades good money for junk, with no balls for innovation. Personally I expect better of interns...

Q-6

Sephiroth0

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011

Opened 90 Degrees:
View attachment 823628

Opened Max:
View attachment 823629

As far as I can see the cable of the 2018 model is longer hence there is no critical bending. It seems that the issue was fixed on the 2018 models.

Reactions: vaugha

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
position of angle 120 degrees looks more like this, on your picture looks like 130 degrees
I Agree, I probably should have edited that out.
Unfortunately Apple now trades good money for junk, with no balls for innovation. Personally I expect better of interns...

Q-6
I just hope that someone sues Apple so those affected can get repairs done, or get their money back from repairs they had to pay for already because of this.
As far as I can see the cable of the 2018 model is longer hence there is no critical bending. It seems that the issue was fixed on the 2018 models.
It seems so, but I still think its a good Idea to not open/close the lid any more than necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.