Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The fingerprints COVERING your screen make me think you didn't take care of that very well to begin with. Perhaps rubbing the screen with your fingers all day is part of the problem.
When the screen is fully on, you can't see anything. That's sunlight hitting it at an angle.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
You really believe that because of the fingerprints on his screen? LOL

No, I don't think it's because of the fingerprints. I think the fingerprints are an indication that it was abused, and maybe abusing a razor thin, fragile LCD screen could cause it to fail?? It looks like a 5 year old was playing with it. I mean who mushes their fingers all over the screen of their $2000 computer, and what else have they done to it besides that?

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I just picked up a '18 15" MBP today. I am glad to see that the flex cable may not be an issue on this newest MBP. I am planning on getting AppleCare as I've had great luck with it in the past (I've had 2 MBP replaced under it). I had a '17 MBP and this '18 keyboard is noticeably quieter and slightly springier than the '17.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
So I managed to spill a drop of tea on my 2018 MBP's trackpad today.
I'm pretty sure nothing got inside, but I didn't want to risk anything so I took the cover off and am going to let it be open a day or two.

While it was opened, I thought I'd take two pictures of the flex cable and compare it to the video on page 2

Opened 90 Degrees:
View attachment 823628

Opened Max:
View attachment 823629

YO. Am I the only person seeing this that thinks the cable on the 2018 looks more robust than the 2016 cable? Not just longer but possibly thicker with better quality traces in the cable? Maybe slightly different material?

iFixit or whoever - WE NEED A 2018 TEARDOWN AND CABLE LENGTH COMPARISON TO THE 2016/2017 models (and 2018 MacBook Air while you're at it). We need a thickness of cable examination, a side by side comparison of the cables visually, and even as far as determining composition of material.

If Apple added a longer, more robust cable, that's Apple's admission that the original design is faulty and will allow for more pressure publicly against them - and extra support for a class action suit.

BONUS ROUND - is it possible that launch 2018s may not have had this fix and its something they've revisited during manufacturing (a later 2018 may have the improved cable like Olivia88 posted). If that's the case it makes things even more evident against Apple and would add relevancy to the Flexgate timeline.

If iFixit or another group does a full teardown, with comparisons and measurements showing a significant revision to correct the problem - Id say this post or one like it would benefit from a sticky to increase exposure, warn users with affected machines on how to properly open their laptops, upcoming class action suit, and even through Apples admittance and extended warranty.

Last edited:

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
If Apple added a longer, more robust cable, that is Apple's admission that the original design is faulty and will allow for more pressure publicly against them - and extra support for a class action suit.
If Ifixit or someone else could take apart the 2016, 2017, 2018 MBP and then prove that the design was changed with the 2018 model, then that also proves Apple knew that there was an issue while they still kept on selling the faulty 2017 models and saying nothing :mad:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If Ifixit or someone else could take apart the 2016, 2017, 2018 MBP and then prove that the design was changed with the 2018 model, then that also proves Apple knew that there was an issue while they still kept on selling the faulty 2017 models and saying nothing :mad:

That proves nothing. Just that Apple changed their products which hopefully improved it, something they do every year. By your logic any product created must never be improved or it proves the company knowing sold a faulty model.

Engineering is a series of choices with each choice having a consequence. You often make a choice but later decide to approach the problem in a different way and make a different choice. If the cable is different it could have been for any number of reasons including: easier for a machine or person to assemble, lower cost, improved performance, or reducing cost.

Reactions: jackiez

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
That proves nothing. Just that Apple changed their products which hopefully improved it, something they do every year. By your logic any product created must never be improved or it proves the company knowing sold a faulty model.

Engineering is a series of choices with each choice having a consequence. You often make a choice but later decide to approach the problem in a different way and make a different choice. If the cable is different it could have been for any number of reasons including: easier for a machine or person to assemble, lower cost, improved performance, or reducing cost.
Defend Apple all you want.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013

You sir have gone off the deep end.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
YO. Am I the only person seeing this that thinks the cable on the 2018 looks more robust than the 2016 cable? Not just longer but possibly thicker with better quality traces in the cable? Maybe slightly different material?

iFixit or whoever - WE NEED A 2018 TEARDOWN AND CABLE LENGTH COMPARISON TO THE 2016/2017 models (and 2018 MacBook Air while you're at it). We need a thickness of cable examination, a side by side comparison of the cables visually, and even as far as determining composition of material.

If Apple added a longer, more robust cable, that's Apple's admission that the original design is faulty and will allow for more pressure publicly against them - and extra support for a class action suit.

BONUS ROUND - is it possible that launch 2018s may not have had this fix and its something they've revisited during manufacturing (a later 2018 may have the improved cable like Olivia88 posted). If that's the case it makes things even more evident against Apple and would add relevancy to the Flexgate timeline.

If iFixit or another group does a full teardown, with comparisons and measurements showing a significant revision to correct the problem - Id say this post or one like it would benefit from a sticky to increase exposure, warn users with affected machines on how to properly open their laptops, upcoming class action suit, and even through Apples admittance and extended warranty.

Agreed. Unless there are detailed analytical comparisons of 2016, 2017, 2018 side by side, a couple of people saying it's fixed b/c it "appears longer" will not be enough to put this issue to rest. Not to mention 2018 hasn't stood the test of time yet.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Agreed. Unless there are detailed analytical comparisons of 2016, 2017, 2018 side by side, a couple of people saying it's fixed b/c it "appears longer" will not be enough to put this issue to rest. Not to mention 2018 hasn't stood the test of time yet.

Agreed lets just hope its actually fixed.

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
im just wondering guys do you think that when they change a display (apple care or cash) they put the same type of display or the updated one? would be nice if someone can upload photos of one with a replaced display

KayM8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
im just wondering guys do you think that when they change a display (apple care or cash) they put the same type of display or the updated one? would be nice if someone can upload photos of one with a replaced display

Just guessing, since the 2018 displays support True Tone, it might be that Apple won't provide 2018 model displays to 2016/2017 replacements, just like they don't provide 2018 model keyboards to replacements on 2016/2017s.

And the claims of longer flex cables seem to be regarding the 2018 models' display soo..

That is, unless they're providing all new 2016/2017 models' replacement displays with an updated flex cable, which seems unlikely since fixing problems in replacement parts doesn't seem to be something Apple does too frequently (eg: 2016/17 keyboard replacements are same as original [no membrane like the 2018 keyboards], replacement motherboards with similarly faulty GPUs in the past, Staingate replacement displays can also suffer Staingate, etc etc).

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
IMO from Apple's point of view it's best to replace with a faulty display. Why? Because once it will fail again and you will be out of your warranty, they will ask you some big dollar to fix that or they will talk you into buying a new laptop. it's all about sucking more cash from you and me, a planned failure (just outside of standard warranty period) that will lead customer into buying a new computer.
There is no gain for apple if theirs hw will last forever (other that PR, that I think they don't care abut that much recently).

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
yep, they just artificially bumping theirs sales by designing product that should last not much than a year.

Reactions: Queen6

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Questionable. Apple really only needs it to last a year. We know the warranty when we purchase. Not on Apple’s side just saying. Apple seems to be designing that requires expensive repairs and seems like cheaper builds that does not last like Apple’s been known for.
If they don't fix them and every single MBP exhibits this problem, their reputation will tank and their company will fold.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
If they don't fix them and every single MBP exhibits this problem, their reputation will tank and their company will fold.

But do they care about it? Macbook isnt their ”flagship”, they are transfering more and more to services where they can make money even with less work than a building a computer. There is enough brand loyality and i bet, even you will buy a new macbook when the one you have suffers from flexgate.. this is pretty much the problem here. Even when **** happens, the brand loyality weights more.

How many ditched the iphone after ”you are holding it wrong”? 1... 5... 12?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sometimes the guy at the Genius Bar will fix something for you without a lot of effort on your part.

Unfortunately with the newer design, Apple usually has to replace half of the laptop for the simplest repair.

If it's out of warranty, Apple is going to charge a lot of money for a repair of a broken display cable. They also need to send it in to get repaired (i.e. it's not quick).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple had endured similar issues largely unscathed. I Believe there is an erosion of apples fan base but this is one problem in a string of problems

KevinN206

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2009

I do hardware design that need to operate over military temperature and extreme mechanical stresses. Apple screwed up and failed to provide proper mechanical strain relief at the worse case opening angle. The fact that they made this ribbon longer and using wider copper traces (more expensive) mean they're trying to fix a known design defect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One can hope, though like other design changes, this may only defer the failure to further in the future. I can't say for sure, and other laptop makers use ribbon cables, but I expected better from Apple :(

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I wish someone would do a video tear down of all 3 machines and compare then for ya to ensure the cables have been fixed.
[doublepost=1551797139][/doublepost]And it’s been fixed according to ifixit! Credit goes out to Olivia88 for finding this!

Reactions: Olivia88

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I wish someone would do a video tear down of all 3 machines and compare then for ya to ensure the cables have been fixed.
[doublepost=1551797139][/doublepost]And it’s been fixed according to ifixit! Credit goes out to Olivia88 for finding this!

So glad my new 2018 MBP appears to have had the problem addressed!

Reactions: Olivia88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.