Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
maflynn wrote in 269 above:
"That's the thing that annoys me, Apple is better then this, we shouldn't be facing this in the first place."

Correction:
Apple used to be "better than that".
They ain't, not no mo'...

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
maflynn wrote in 269 above:
"That's the thing that annoys me, Apple is better then this, we shouldn't be facing this in the first place."

Correction:
Apple used to be "better than that".
They ain't, not no mo'...

Used to be better- maybe ten years ago. I’m thinking all the way back to the 17” iMac in 2006.

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
I’m really curious on how widespread the problem really is, is it just a bad badge of cables? Is it the first machines that were manufactured? We don’t really know since there are millions of MacBooks sold trought 2016 and 2017 yet only a few thousand people have complaint

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I’m really curious on how widespread the problem really is, is it just a bad badge of cables? Is it the first machines that were manufactured? We don’t really know since there are millions of MacBooks sold trought 2016 and 2017 yet only a few thousand people have complaint
Well the people on this forum make everything way more dramatic that is actually is on the grand scheme of things but I’m guessing with each passing day and more and more people starting to be affected that it will become a replacement warranty extension.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
people on this forum make everything way more dramatic that is actually is
Not if it affects you.

it will become a replacement warranty extension.
Yes, but until then, people have to spend a boatload of money, In the grand scheme of things, this is yet another problem that will cost owner dearly.

Apple may have quietly fixed the problem in 2018, but that doesn't help those owners in 2016 and 17

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Not if it affects you.

Yes, but until then, people have to spend a boatload of money, In the grand scheme of things, this is yet another problem that will cost owner dearly.

Apple may have quietly fixed the problem in 2018, but that doesn't help those owners in 2016 and 17

Complete agree they do need to do something quickly for those who currently are paying for replacements.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure that Apple is any different from any hardware maker imho.
Yes and no

Apple has always marketed itself as a superior product, a premium experience. When companies brand themselves as premium like that and price their product accordingly, then the consumer has an expectation that the product is of superior design and construction. Sadly that isn't the case imo. Just look at the issues apple faces and as noted in the video, consistent keyboard failures, 3 years and counting. 2016 and beyond are facing flexgate where using the as intended will actually cause a failure.

I don't think other high end computer makers have such issues year after year like Apple does

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

The cost of owning Apple hardware is the legendary Apple markup + inevitable design defect repair bill. I now always include Applecare, but that doesn't save me the hassle or lost time.

There's also problems they don't even acknowledge until 500+ page threads on their forum make them look bad enough.

It takes negative press coverage and class action threats for Apple to help their customers. Rossman is right: When they help you, they'll charge you for their design defect. I lost the MacBook Pro display lottery 6 years ago and developed severe image retention problems after a few years. They charged $300 for a decent display, after somehow doing the wrong repair of swapping my motherboard -- which then developed a smell it never had. I won't go back because they won't do anything without charging me to fix their mistake, yet again.

Apple is a just a typical corporation in need of some regulation.

Reactions: Mendota

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Yes and no

Apple has always marketed itself as a superior product, a premium experience. When companies brand themselves as premium like that and price their product accordingly, then the consumer has an expectation that the product is of superior design and construction. Sadly that isn't the case imo. Just look at the issues apple faces and as noted in the video, consistent keyboard failures, 3 years and counting. 2016 and beyond are facing flexgate where using the as intended will actually cause a failure.

I don't think other high end computer makers have such issues year after year like Apple does

Do other manufacturers sell as many of the same model of laptop as Apple? Besides Lenovo everyone else has a dozen different models.

Do owners of other brands keep their laptops as long as Apple? If people are only using their HP whatever for a couple of years will common issues have time to be revealed?

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
Do other manufacturers sell as many of the same model of laptop as Apple? Besides Lenovo everyone else has a dozen different models.

Do owners of other brands keep their laptops as long as Apple? If people are only using their HP whatever for a couple of years will common issues have time to be revealed?
Are the keyboard issues taking years to show themselves? No

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do other manufacturers sell as many of the same model of laptop as Apple?
I couldn't find any statistics on laptops specifically. Additionally no corporation including apple reports sales of specific models, we need to take the entire sales. Regardless, the numbers are telling, Lenovo is selling over 3 times what Apple is selling. So to answer your first question based on the data that I found, Apple is far down the list of computer sales compared to others, in some respect by quite a bit

upload_2019-3-9_15-42-26.png

Besides Lenovo everyone else has a dozen different models.
You're right and Apple sells only three distinct models with various flavors. I would think with a smaller number of models to work on, Apple would have less problems not more. That is, they can focus more attention on only a handful of models.

No idea, any statement would be pure conjecture. I will concede the point if you provide data to back up the supposition that Mac users don't upgrade as often as PC users.

Even if we say that PC owners upgrade every two to three years, consider what we apple fans have faced within that time period. Within the first year of ownership, people started to complain about keyboard failure (2016, 2017 and 2018 models respectively). Just after two years of ownership flexgate is an issue that many 2016 owners are facing now. 2017 owners are probably on pins and needles because of that. So even if if you use the two/three year window of PC ownership, Macs have had to deal with more problems then PCs.

tl;dr
Market size and laptop life span are not an excuse for apple to hide behind with these problems.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I now always include Applecare
That's the issue I have in all honesty. The cost of a base 15" (not upgrades) is NOT 2,400 but rather 2,778 because people are compelled to buy the extended warranty.

The question is then why am I willing to give apple my hard earned money on a product that will have a likelihood of failure - I can only answer for me, and I don't knock anyone for buying macs, but the quality is simply not there any more.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
You youtubng kids need to learn how to spell or check your typing before publishing graphics,
The word “F#^@ed” is no where near close to “fooled”, fools!

Anyways, i will replace my motherlogic board on my ailing but productive macbook air 2010 because the computer is that deserving . I don’t think other laptop owners from that year will do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I am so conflicted about my future on Apples platform. Its not just the hardware these days we have worry about, but its the future quality of the software. Apple wants to cut out Intel because they want to start using the A-series in their Mac line. Its not even that justified because, its not like Intel chips have suddenly become whimpers; I'm still using a Haswell based Surface Pro 3 from 2014. So, there are the 0.1% niche group who feels Intel has fallen behind because of the struggles reach 10 NM. But, I don't think switching to A series is not going to make it any better either.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east

other brands have dozen different models b/c they cover the whole price spectrum, I.E cheap, medium, and expensive
apple on the other hand only covers the upper echelon of price spectrum, I.E expensive, and expensive :apple:

for the price of a medium specced mbp you can get a decked out rtx 2070 laptop and room for upgrade, my dad still uses his acer desktop that i got for him 7 years ago. it really depends on what you need to do with it, and all he does is ms word and pdf.

the key reason pc user upgrades so much and thus having the impression of shorter ownership time is because tech evolves alot faster in the pc industry than macs, can they make do with their old 4770k and gtx 1080 ti for their 4k gaming? yes absolutely. but they want the new 9700k with rtx 2080 to gain even more fps.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Based on what data besides your imagination? :D Apple probably sells more high end computers than all other makers combined. Are we talking about Microsoft who’s surface books had return rates of 20% in 90 days and some of the highest failure rates in the industry? Or razer who sells just a small bunch of laptops which are traditionally plagued by heat issues? Dell seems to be doing fine with XPS line, even though their forums are also full of complaining users (issues with GPU, coil whine etc. etc.).

Wake up. Everyone has issues. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're just making excuses for apple. I do grant you that people do complain, however saying apple isn't bad because others are just as bad seems like you're trying to rationalize apple's failure to roll out a machine without major problems.

Apple charges a premium, in fact typically 1,000 to 2,000 MORE, and to have endemic design flaws and heating issues, there's no reason to have that and there's really no excuse. No matter how much you say they no different then the Dells of the world, Apple in its marketing states they are in fact much different and better.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

the grass is burned on this side badly. Lets see... My latest purchases:

1. macbook pro 2016
- keyboard is failing
- when i get the keyboard to be fixed, i quess it is time to fix the flexcable issue and if apple doesnt do it for free, it is very expensive to replace the screen.

2. ipad pro 2nd 12.9
- touchscreen issue

3. Apple watch 4
- uneven display
- the resplacement unit they sent to me was worse and i sent it back and kept my original

It is either a very bad luck to get every devices as faulty from apple, or apple definitely has issues with the quality. for a some reason i havent bought the new mac mini - can you see the trend from above why i havent bought it yet? if i have such a bad luck the mac mini system will have coil whine, numeric magic keyboard will bend and trackbad/mouse will have bt-connection issues.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I would be purchasing a brand spanking new dell XPS 13" later this month if the MacBook Air 2017 was not available because of :apple: manufacturing defects on the keyboard and heating issues in their new MacBooks.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You're just making excuses for apple. I do grant you that people do complain, however saying apple isn't bad because others are just as bad seems like you're trying to rationalize apple's failure to roll out a machine without major problems.

I'm certainly not claiming that Apple does not have problems (although I'd argue their current problems have more to do with software design and quality control). What I am claiming is that Apple's current problems are not nearly as bad as you people make it sound.
[doublepost=1552217148][/doublepost]
the grass is burned on this side badly. Lets see... My latest purchases:

Sorry that you got so unlucky. But your personal story does not cover the entire picture.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
although I'd argue their current problems have more to do with software design and quality control).
How is flexgate or the butterfly keyboard a software design :confused:

What I am claiming is that Apple's current problems are not nearly as bad as you people make it sound.
When people have to pay a lot of money to have the display panel replaced because of flexgate, I would say that's pretty bad, or before the repair program, many people had to pay for the entire topcase. Thankfully Apple instituted a repair program. Both of those issues seem pretty bad. I remember how so many people made excuses for apple with the keyboard, marginalizing the problem and saying its the users fault, i.e., not being clean. Only when the problem became more widespread, with class action lawsuits and high profile people complaining did apple institute a repair program. I'd say the butterfly keyboard is pretty bad. Flexgate has the potential for 2016, 2017 and maybe 2018 to be pretty bad, though we are only in the early stages of that problem.

To summarize, the design of the butterfly keyboard is a flawed, that's not software, nor is it a QC issue, using a ribbon cable, instead of sturdier copper wires was a mistake, making that ribbon cable too short, guaranteed owners would be facing a high repair bill in the future. Now I understand that Apple lengthened that cable in the 2018 model, but that's of little consolation for someone who spent 2,000 to 3,000 dollars in 2016 only to face the issue.

When loyal :apple: customers are looking into buying another product, there is a problem.
Yes, I'm seeing that more and more, and I don't mean just here at MacRumors but out and about.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
100% right.
But also when the teenagers are not very excited about Apple products any more, the problem is much bigger.
to quote bravehart's Longshanks: "they're sheep!"
a couple years ago, I noticed most students were using macbooks, i counted 36 out of 47 in the college library were i lived. This was recently in 2015, My sister loved her :apple: phone so much she purchased a Imac in 2016.
i dont know if this is a point or on subject, but the tides can change very quickly were if alot of :apple: users switched, we might have to pay for OSX upgrades as we did waaaaaay back in 2012 with Mountain Lion.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.