Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 229 50.9%

• Total voters

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
So glad my new 2018 MBP appears to have had the problem addressed!

Agreed! I literally just responded to macofalltrades email to have them purchase my 2013 rMBP so I can finally pull the trigger on an upgrade. I refused to upgrade simply because of this issue but now that it’s clear it’s been addressed then I think it’s safe to buy a 2018 MBP.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
Soapbox: if you want this addressed by Apple keep poking at it.

I cannot stress enough - start contacting Youtube personalities, blog sites, post the stories on Reddit - make noise. Spread the word.

You'd be surprised how far one email goes in increasing the visibility. Those of you who oversee fleets of these laptops with multiple failures - your stories are the most valuable. Tell your stories.

And just so we're clear - Flexgate encompasses more than just the stagelight effect - any issue with flickering video, distorted colors, LED backlights - that changes with how far open / the angle the display is at is related to Flexgate.

ifixit - you need to measure all of the ribbon cables for the screen display - 2016/2017 vs 2018. We also need the thickness of the cables measured with a digital caliper AND high res photos showing the construction of the cable. its of my believe that the 2018 cable is more robust with internal strengtheners/reliefs but we need measurements and photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: W1cH099

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Soapbox: if you want this addressed by Apple keep poking at it.

I cannot stress enough - start contacting Youtube personalities, blog sites, post the stories on Reddit - make noise. Spread the word.

You'd be surprised how far one email goes in increasing the visibility. Those of you who oversee fleets of these laptops with multiple failures - your stories are the most valuable. Tell your stories.

And just so we're clear - Flexgate encompasses more than just the stagelight effect - any issue with flickering video, distorted colors, LED backlights - that changes with how far open / the angle the display is at is related to Flexgate.

ifixit - you need to measure all of the ribbon cables for the screen display - 2016/2017 vs 2018. We also need the thickness of the cables measured with a digital caliper AND high res photos showing the construction of the cable. its of my believe that the 2018 cable is more robust with internal strengtheners/reliefs but we need measurements and photos.

Very much agreed. This is definitely in the right direction. I'd also love to see thickness and composition comparisons of 2018 vs prior cables. Longer cables are a good start but I'm not sure if it will completely eliminate this issue. Longer cables can cause bending and creasing when the lid is completely closed which can again lead to the same cable cracking. So unless it has some sort of thickness compensation, it can open doors for other unforeseen issues.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Very much agreed. This is definitely in the right direction. I'd also love to see thickness and composition comparisons of 2018 vs prior cables. Longer cables are a good start but I'm not sure if it will completely eliminate this issue. Longer cables can cause bending and creasing when the lid is completely closed which can again lead to the same cable cracking. So unless it has some sort of thickness compensation, it can open doors for other unforeseen issues.

From the photos iFixit shared, I would bet Apple spent some time on this to ensure this was addressed correctly. 2mm is not a lot of length but in this chassis its certainly enough to withstand the pressure the shorter ones were having. I personally am no longer worried about this issue.

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
One can hope, though like other design changes, this may only defer the failure to further in the future. I can't say for sure, and other laptop makers use ribbon cables, but I expected better from Apple :(
I'm happy they have at least tried, no matter what the outcome is in 3 or 5 years. :)

king_crimson

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2019
Germany
Hey Guys,
so i just created this account to share my findings.
I gathered the High Res photos of iFixit's Teardowns of the 2016, 17 and 18 MBP 13" and compared their flex cables.
As you can see in the attached images there is actually quite a difference in the way the flex cable bends in the 2018 model year. This could mean that Apple changed the length of the cable already with the start of production and not, as some speculated, while the whole flexgate scandal took place.

@Olivia88 it would be interesting to know when you bought your MBP to see if this would confirm my assumptions

Greetz

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: JPack

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Hey Guys,
I gathered the High Res photos of iFixit's Teardowns of the 2016, 17 and 18 MBP 13" and compared their flex cables.
As you can see in the attached images there is actually quite a difference in the way the flex cable bends in the 2018 model year. This could mean that Apple changed the length of the cable already with the start of production and not, as some speculated, while the whole flexgate scandal took place.

oh, this is very bad... this means apple knew that the cable was way too tight but they were still selling the 2017 model when designing the 2018 model with longer cables.

quite interesting to see what happens...

Reactions: Queen6

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
oh, this is very bad... this means apple knew that the cable was way too tight but they were still selling the 2017 model when designing the 2018 model with longer cables.

quite interesting to see what happens...
Well you have to remember too though that parts are made in bulk. This is speculation, but my guess is by the time Apple realized there was an issue with the cable, they had already taken delivery of the majority of the cables and monitors for their 2017 mode year machines, and as such they probably decided it’d be less expensive to try to ride out the storm of some computers have the issue than reordering a whole set of new monitors with longer cables.

In the end it’s about the bottom dollar for the company, and using the already supplied parts with a potential later “repair program” was probably cheaper than reordering a new set of parts. Not to mention the cost of delaying or having backorders for their flagship laptop could prove costly.
[doublepost=1551976532][/doublepost]Nobody has asked it yet (at least from what I can see), but has anyone who has had this issue repaired by Apple opened their machine to see if the monitors are being replaced by the seemingly longer cables on the 2018 models? I don’t know the exact details of the internals, but I would imagine the 2016/17 MBP monitors are interchangeable with the monitors on 2018 MBPs.

If so this could be promising that if Apple does fix your computer with a 2018 monitor, you shouldn’t see the issue again. It’s wishful thinking, but entirely possible.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think Apple will launch a repair program very soon, it's just too obvious of a design flaw and it doesn't seem like a rare occurrence from everything we've seen so far.

I wonder if flexgate + keyboard-gate will eat up all profits from these Macbooks at that point?

Apple will just increase the AppleCare cost.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Apple will just increase the AppleCare cost.
Which is unfortunately already insanely priced.

Odds are though they are making enough off services, App Store cuts, and iPhone sales (if with reduced unit sales), that they are not phased much by the issues. I honestly think in a lot of these issues it’s the bad PR associated that causes them more harm to their bottom line than actual repair programs.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I just picked up a '18 15" MBP today. I am glad to see that the flex cable may not be an issue on this newest MBP. I am planning on getting AppleCare as I've had great luck with it in the past (I've had 2 MBP replaced under it). I had a '17 MBP and this '18 keyboard is noticeably quieter and slightly springier than the '17.

I would imagine that Apple increased the length of the display cable in 2018 but there is no guarantee unless Apple confirms it or a spec sheet on the cable is released.

The 2018 keyboard is quieter with a more springy feel because of the membrane under it. However, based on the reports of people, it looks like the 3rd generation butterfly key board is also prone to failures.

The 2018 MacBook Pro also has the T2 chip with corresponding bridgeOS faults.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly though, I think it is a pretty well known fact about how bad Apple is at ackowledging issues related to hardware defects or poor design. This is just another rant video for why some people choose to leave or avoid Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Queen6 and Audit13

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Reactions: Falhófnir

Olivia88

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2018
Hey Guys,

@Olivia88 it would be interesting to know when you bought your MBP to see if this would confirm my assumptions

Greetz
My MBP 13 inch was manufactured in august 2018, and I bought it in November 2018 :)

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Only time will tell on this issue but I'm hoping that its resolved with their 2mm addition.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/05/apple-flexgate-possible-fix/
I wonder if the 2018 fix is backwards compatible with older 2016 and 2017 models? At least then Apple might quietly fix it for you with something that won't fail in the same way again.

They are not compatible unfortunately. I asked several people and even Apple confirmed this. Not only is the 2018 display a True Tone display, but also the chassis is slightly tweaked to where it won't match up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Only time will tell on this issue but I'm hoping that its resolved with their 2mm addition.
Indeed, but what bugs me the most is that people who buy the MBP and spend a boatload of money shouldn't be on pins and needles waiting and hoping this or the keyboard doesn't come around and bite them. That's the thing that annoys me, Apple is better then this, we shouldn't be facing this in the first place.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
They are not compatible unfortunately. I asked several people and even Apple confirmed this. Not only is the 2018 display a True Tone display, but also the chassis is slightly tweaked to where it won't match up.

So there’s no real fix for the 2017 models then? In five years these machines will be totally worthless.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
So there’s no real fix for the 2017 models then? In five years these machines will be totally worthless.

There is no real fix besides replacing the entire display unfortunately. Apple really needs to release an extended warranty for this but the bigger issue is how widespread it actually is.
[doublepost=1552050617][/doublepost]
When apple fixes the display that new display may have a longer ribbon cable but the jury is out as to whether that will fix it, or delay the failure.

I agree I’m just hoping it actually solves it since I’m buying a 2018 15” CTO. If a redesign comes this year, although it may be nice with Face ID and smaller bezels etc, I still can’t trust 1st gen redesigns so it just makes sense in my opinion to buy the “last” gen model. I mean just look at the 2016 model, it was utter trash.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.