Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jameskoole

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Has Messages always had screen sharing with the ability to have the other person control your screen? Click "details" and you see the option to start a screen share. Tested and it works, even back to a non-Sierra Mac.

Edit: Looks like El Cap had it already...who knew?

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.47.24 AM.png

Last edited:

danielagos

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Has Messages always had screen sharing with the ability to have the other person control your screen? Click "details" and you see the option to start a screen share. Tested and it works, even back to a non-Sierra Mac.

View attachment 636089

I think that is there since the new Messages app was introduced (it's in El Capitan, at least).
[doublepost=1465999301][/doublepost]

View attachment 636089

By the way, here's how it looks in El Capitan, they changed it a bit:
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 14.58.06.png

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

nextstop

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Is windows snapping part of the os now?

Yes, It is.

I hope it works similar to bettersnaptool.

Where does this picture come from? Is it in one of the WWDC Videos?

It is in the "What's new in Cocoa" WWDC video.

The guy in the video said windows snapping is part of the os and showed some slides with TextEdit windows.
I have not Sierra installed, maybe someone can confirm if it is a standard and widespread behavior in the os?

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and Takuro

Florian_k

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Yes, It is.

It is in the "What's new in Cocoa" WWDC video.

The guy in the video said windows snapping is part of the os and showed some slides with TextEdit windows.
I have not Sierra installed, maybe someone can confirm if it is a standard and widespread behavior in the os?

Thanks for your reply!

Can someone check if Photoshop and other Adobe CC apps are able to snap? At the moment none of the snapping apps were able to resize those windows.

EDIT:
As far as I understood the video it is not similar to bettersnaptool. Instead of snapping to the left or right half of the screen, windows snap to each other. E.g. If you have two finder windows open and reposition one of them the borders of the moving window snap to the other window.

Last edited:

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Spotify is using a GB of memory on boot for some reason. Beware.
[doublepost=1465882528][/doublepost]Safari sidebar has thumbnails for bookmarks now and the reading list has a different look with big website thumbnails instead of article photo thumbnails now.
Would be nice if you post photos :)
[doublepost=1466002903][/doublepost]
All of this increased iCloud integration would be great... if they upped the free storage. Are they seriously still keeping 5GB as the threshold?

This is going to be a nightmare scenario for the casual user who has these new features turned on, only to be told they now have to start paying monthly to keep things as they are.

So turn them off ?

rogerbarton

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
I stopped using photos a few weeks ago completely. Just created a new library dragged one small jpg-image from my desktop in it clicked on details and it crashed, same at second try.

Here are screen shots from the Image menu and the Edit Tools (I don't know how it looked before):

View attachment 636076 View attachment 636077
View attachment 636078

Do you like to see anything else?

I started using Google Photos a couple of months ago - in order to synch my iPhone photos and save space.

Now considering moving all my photos over from the Mac Photos app tbh. Is there anything the new iteration offers that Google Photos doesn't? Other than a nicer UX...
[doublepost=1466005343][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1466002903][/doublepost]

So turn them off ?

Yes, I will. But I'm not a casual user. Point is that this is going to create a really bad user experience unless the up the free cap.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
I started using Google Photos a couple of months ago - in order to synch my iPhone photos and save space.

Now considering moving all my photos over from the Mac Photos app tbh. Is there anything the new iteration offers that Google Photos doesn't? Other than a nicer UX...
[doublepost=1466005343][/doublepost]

Yes, I will. But I'm not a casual user. Point is that this is going to create a really bad user experience unless the up the free cap.

Pretty sure once it hits the limit or if you set it up from beginning and it hits the limit it will warn you and tell you either to buy space/run disk optimisation or don't use the iCloud documents/syncing.

Kinda like it does already with iCloud Photo Library.

This is a Developer Preview. Still loooots can change :)

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I think that is there since the new Messages app was introduced (it's in El Capitan, at least).
[doublepost=1465999301][/doublepost]

By the way, here's how it looks in El Capitan, they changed it a bit:
View attachment 636090

I always thought you needed to be logged into a third party messaging service (like AIM or Gchat) in Messages in order to use screen sharing...is that no longer the case? In other words, can we initiate screen sharing when signed into an iMessage account only?

danielagos

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
I always thought you needed to be logged into a third party messaging service (like AIM or Gchat) in Messages in order to use screen sharing...is that no longer the case? In other words, can we initiate screen sharing when signed into an iMessage account only?

I think that screen sharing has nothing to do with AIM or Gchat. I never used those and I can still screen share with my mom's Mac. Unfortunately, you can't screen share with iOS devices.

Reactions: boston04and07

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Guys, little help please, could you please check something for me?

1. On Desktop could you please right click to Show View Options and turn on 'Show item info'.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 18.21.51.png

2. Drag and drop an image from Safari to Desktop (please do multiple pictures)

Do the resolutions (example: "550 x 800") of the pictures always show up under the filename for you?

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 18.29.09.png

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I think that screen sharing has nothing to do with AIM or Gchat. I never used those and I can still screen share with my mom's Mac. Unfortunately, you can't screen share with iOS devices.

Haha wow, I feel silly then...all these years I thought it did! I even made an AIM account for my mom so I could screen share with her whenever she has computer questions...well then! Good to know!!:eek:

Totally agree that screen sharing with iOS devices would be awesome though...

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

Edit: Looks like El Cap had it already...who knew?

View attachment 636089
Screen Sharing actually dates back many, many years, from the time the messenging app was still called "iChat". I'm not completely sure when it was added, but definitely before Snow Leopard.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I know that people couldn’t boot from third-party Solid State Drives after upgrading to Yosemite. Is that problem present in Sierra, or is it fine to upgrade to Sierra with a third-party Solid State Drive?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Apple only shows off a few "hero" features in keynotes. There are a bunch of minor tweaks and features that take days or weeks for people to even notice. For example, the Finder's File Rename capability was a hidden gem when El Cap (or was it Yosemite) was announced, and nobody noticed it for a few days.
It was introduced in Yosemite back in '14.
[doublepost=1466026445][/doublepost]
Photos has finally got a cool Places-view

View attachment 635938
Yay! About time. Missed that feature from iPhoto.

Reactions: jblagden

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
How does optimized storage work? How do iCloud-only files look like locally? Any selective sync/always keep local/always keep offline options? Very curious about it and would love to see screenshots of all the menus and options.

They probably look like iTunes "music in the cloud" looks in iTunes --- they look like a normal file in Finder, except with a little cloud icon next to them.
(In the file system proper I'm guessing there is a file name and perhaps some stub file, but the important thing is an xattr that describes how to access the file in the cloud.)
[doublepost=1466028456][/doublepost]
Reading through this thread it seems like hardly anything is changed. Did this really warrant a whole new operating system?

People spend a year telling Apple they only thing they want from the next version of OSX is bug fixes.
Then when Apple gives them a release that is 90% bug fixes (and so there is little to talk about except "fluff") they complain like it's the end of the world.

God people suck.
[doublepost=1466028630][/doublepost]
I know that people couldn’t boot from third-party Solid State Drives after upgrading to Yosemite. Is that problem present in Sierra, or is it fine to upgrade to Sierra with a third-party Solid State Drive?

I have no idea how you "know" that. I have
- an iMac booting from a USB3 SSD
- an old Powerbook booting from a 3rd party internal SSD
- an old iMac booting from a home made Fusion Drive that merges an external (FW800) SSD with the iMac's internal hard drive.

If you can't boot from a third-party Solid State Drives, there's something specifically wrong with your setup; there is no deliberate Apple policy that is limiting you, or a widespread bug.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
For anyone wondering how that "window snapping" feature works:

Rather than snapping to the corners or sides of the screen like you can do in windows, in macOS, they snap to the edges and corners each other, the edges of the screen, and the top of the dock. It is similar to how objects snap together in interface builder if you have ever used that.

----------

On a side note, something I noticed in Safari is that if you open a link and it automatically opens a new tab, the back button will close the new tab and bring you back to the original tab.

Last edited:

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
All of this increased iCloud integration would be great... if they upped the free storage. Are they seriously still keeping 5GB as the threshold?

This is going to be a nightmare scenario for the casual user who has these new features turned on, only to be told they now have to start paying monthly to keep things as they are.

99 cents a month for 50GB. The horror.

Microsoft just decreased their free tier from 15 to 5 GBs. Turns out giving away more than enough storage for the vast majority of users isn't sustainable.
[doublepost=1466039022][/doublepost]
Can anyone confirm if System Preferences still has that giant un-Mac-like switch for enabling Time Machine? I noticed the Siri pane has a simple checkbox.

It's gone thankfully. There's just a check box that says "back up automatically"

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
They probably look like iTunes "music in the cloud" looks in iTunes --- they look like a normal file in Finder, except with a little cloud icon next to them.
(In the file system proper I'm guessing there is a file name and perhaps some stub file, but the important thing is an xattr that describes how to access the file in the cloud.)
[doublepost=1466028456][/doublepost]

People spend a year telling Apple they only thing they want from the next version of OSX is bug fixes.
Then when Apple gives them a release that is 90% bug fixes (and so there is little to talk about except "fluff") they complain like it's the end of the world.

God people suck.
[doublepost=1466028630][/doublepost]

I have no idea how you "know" that. I have
- an iMac booting from a USB3 SSD
- an old Powerbook booting from a 3rd party internal SSD
- an old iMac booting from a home made Fusion Drive that merges an external (FW800) SSD with the iMac's internal hard drive.

If you can't boot from a third-party Solid State Drives, there's something specifically wrong with your setup; there is no deliberate Apple policy that is limiting you, or a widespread bug.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/yosemite-kills-third-party-ssd-support/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-yosemite-and-third-party-ssds-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.