Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Are Optimized Storage and full-drive encryption mandatory or are they just optional?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Out of curiosity: are there any hints towards new hardware hidden in the current developer preview?

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I'm really not talking about myself. Really. I don't know how many times I need to stress that.

Point is that the average consumer does not expect to have to pay extra for a feature they probably don't even understand. Especially if they have paid "a shed load of money" on a phone.

Well just because you echo an opinion thrown around loudly a lot, doesn't mean you're talking about the 'average user'. The average user doesn't know what the feature is and Apple could do a better job explaining it. But 5GB is enough to demo the service and manage for most people. The problem comes when someone hasn't bothered to follow up on the 'iCloud Storage Full' message. It's an education problem, not a problem with the service. And besides, it's a service, not a right. Plenty of people back up using their computers too. Plenty of people also know that their contacts etc on iCloud are fine, their work emails are stored on a server and they either don't care about other stuff on the phone, or assume that IT have them covered.

If a user doesn't want to pay for a feature they don't understand, that's fine. As I said, Apple could probably do a better job of explaining it. But most people are wilfully ignorant of warning messages and just tap to ignore them. But let's suppose Apple educated people about the service better. Now the customer understands it and is demanding more for free. 79p/99c a month for 50GB to keep all your photos and contacts safe is nothing and no one is forcing anyone to pay for it. And really, thinking about how much the phone cost and all the time and effort put in to gathering the photos and contacts etc on there, it's simply stupid idea NOT to pay for the 50GB storage tier. When someone loses all their stuff, they'll suddenly realise that 79p/99c service is something they suddenly learn the value of. If you choose not to do it, or even to share your Apple ID to give friends and/or family free stuff (again, nowhere does it say you have there right to not pay for software just because someone else would like it too), then your free 5GB is going to get eaten up pretty quickly. And again, it's not Apple's problem.

If a user is informed and educated and chooses not to pay for that feature, then they don't get that feature. It's not really that hard. Stop thinking people have a right to free stuff just because people would REALLY like free stuff.

Reactions: yangm

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I have a question. Does the messages app do any of that crazy ****, like lasers and balloons and whispers and yelling all that stuff? Can you at least receive them?

Reactions: jblagden

pmostoff

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
I have a question. Does the messages app do any of that crazy ****, like lasers and balloons and whispers and yelling all that stuff? Can you at least receive them?
I think that they sort of implied in the keynote that iMessage on the Mac would be able to receive those types of messages but that it wouldn't be able to send them, at least not yet. Not sure if that's totally true or what would be included. For instance, I kind of wouldn't expect the full screen effects to go off on the Mac. Maybe just within the window?

I'm not completely sure on these details as I don't have anyone to test these features out with at the moment. I'd be interested to see what other's have experienced.

Florian_k

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Sierra allows to rearrange menu bar apps. Can you rearrange the notification center menu bar app too?

pmostoff

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
Sierra allows to rearrange menu bar apps. Can you rearrange the notification center menu bar app too?
I just tried and no, you cannot. When holding CMD and clicking it just opens NC like normal. I can understand wanting the option to move it but it does kind of make sense for it to be on the far right considering that clicking it will put your cursor over where it slides in already.

Florian_k

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
I just tried and no, you cannot. When holding CMD and clicking it just opens NC like normal. I can understand wanting the option to move it but it does kind of make sense for it to be on the far right considering that clicking it will put your cursor over where it slides in already.

Thanks for checking! I hide it anyway through the bartender app. But it was quite difficult to hide it, including deactivating sip. I hoped it would get a little easier, so that bartender will still include the hiding option. I always trigger NC by swiping from the right of the trackpad, so i don't use the button.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm seeing a bit of weirdness with the whole storage optimization. I installed macOS Sierra on a 2012 rMBP with a 756GB SSD. On that drive, the only drive attached to my rMBP, I currently have 586GB free (of the 756GB total). My iCloud drive currently has over 14GB free... yet I continue to be prompted with this alert:

space.png

If I click on the Manage link, I see the "manage" screen referencing the SSD, and showing 586GB of 756GB free.

Anyone seeing anything similar?

Last edited:

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Can anyone verify in Photos if batch editing of adjustments works. To be clear, I am not talking about Ctrl-I and changing locations.
I mean like changing white white balance on one photo in adjustments, copying, then pasting to multiple photos at once.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Hi! Can anyone using macOS Sierra check whether there is anything in System Preferences that allow us to change the default behaviour of the green button? (i.e. choose the green button to zoom a window rather than full screen).

Thanks.

Reactions: jblagden

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi! Can anyone using macOS Sierra check whether there is anything in System Preferences that allow us to change the default behaviour of the green button? (i.e. choose the green button to zoom a window rather than full screen).

Thanks.

There is not. Never has been. Probably will never be.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
Can anyone verify in Photos if batch editing of adjustments works. To be clear, I am not talking about Ctrl-I and changing locations.
I mean like changing white white balance on one photo in adjustments, copying, then pasting to multiple photos at once.
Yeah I know it sucks but there is no option like that. So editing batch is a real pain atm

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015

I think I saw an option for this in TinkerTool or Onyx. But I am not 100% sure and can't launch both of them at the moment because there is no version for Sierra yet. You could try it in El Capitan. Both are for free. With Onyx you should be a little careful what you do in there. TinkerTool is harmless and just can enable some "hidden" functions for what you normally need some Terminal command. Onyx does basically the same but is a little more powerful and has some features in it that you only should use if you know exactly what you are doing.

https://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.