Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I think I saw an option for this in TinkerTool or Onyx. But I am not 100% sure and can't launch both of them at the moment because there is no version for Sierra yet. You could try it in El Capitan. Both are for free. With Onyx you should be a little careful what you do in there. TinkerTool is harmless and just can enable some "hidden" functions for what you normally need some Terminal command. Onyx does basically the same but is a little more powerful and has some features in it that you only should use if you know exactly what you are doing.

https://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html
Which part of TinkerTool allows you to change the function of the green bottom back to maximize?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Which part of TinkerTool allows you to change the function of the green bottom back to maximize?

As I wrote, I am not 100% sure. I just think to remember seeing something to change the green button behaviour somewhere and have nothing else installed than TinkerTool, TinkerTool System and Onyx, what could be able to do that.
TinkerTool System is not free, but there is a demo mode with limitations and an evaluation mode where you can launch it 5 times without limitations. I have the paid version. Could also have been in there.
But I can't launch any of those three to look for it. I have no older OS installed at the moment.
Both developers don't provide betas because of safety reasons and at least for Onyx I know that a compatible version won't be available before the final OS has been released and tested very well.

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 23.47.55.png Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 23.48.04.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 23.48.27.png

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Something nobody has mentioned yet:

You can't update in-place to macOS Sierra Developer Preview if you are currently running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. At least, you need to be running OS X Lion.

If this requirement makes its way to the final release, this can be troubling for those who are on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. They would have to purchase OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion from the Apple Online Store as a springboard for the update to macOS Sierra.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.10.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.10.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.10.43 PM.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

lothwe

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013

You can't update in-place to macOS Sierra Developer Preview if you are currently running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. At least, you need to be running OS X Lion.

If this requirement makes its way to the final release, this can be troubling for those who are on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. They would have to purchase OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion from Apple Online Store as a springboard for the update to macOS Sierra.

(Gosh, it's hard to keep track of where to use Mac OS X, OS X or macOS).

I don't think you can expect Apple to continue to supporting OS X versions from 6-7 years ago. And if these users didn't get the urge to upgrade for 6 years now, what makes you think that they'd realistically want to at this stage?

Reactions: Menopause

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I don't think you can expect Apple to continue to supporting OS X versions from 6-7 years ago. And if these users didn't get the urge to upgrade for 6 years now, what makes you think that they'd realistically want to at this stage?

Maybe they bought a second-handed Mac, where the owner never bothered to update and decided to update?

It's understandable that Apple may drop the in-place update migration script for Snow Leopard users, but perhaps at least give an option to download and install fresh?

If Apple limits the minimum system requirement of macOS Sierra's installer to 10.7 and above, people on Snow Leopard will have to download the installer on a second Mac and create a bootable USB to install, or, more disconcerting, resort to sketchy, illegal sources to get an update that they could have gotten for free legally.

bluefirex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
Germany
If Apple limits the minimum system requirement of macOS Sierra's installer to 10.7 and above, people on Snow Leopard will have to download the installer on a second Mac and create a bootable USB to install, or, more disconcerting, resort to sketchy, illegal sources to get an update that they could have gotten for free legally.

I suspect that for those people the Mac App Store will show the option to install El Capitan. From there people can upgrade to Sierra. But to be fair: You can upgrade at all, which is not a given. Look at Windows XP-Users: Those couldn't even upgrade to Windows 7 directly, which is only two versions newer. Snow Leopard to El Capitan is 5 versions.

Reactions: yangm and jgelin

CamJN

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Can someone check if the volume beeps sound the same? Maybe record them? (Just hold shift while pressing volume up/down).

Also can someone check the versions of the following in the terminal:

emacs --version
php --version
httpd -v
ruby --version
bashb --version
git --version
openssl version

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Forgive me if this is has been mentioned, or maybe this was in Safari previously and I'm just now noticing it:

I clicked a hyperlink here in MacRumors, which opened a new tab. Instead of the back button being grayed out like it usually is in new tabs, it was lit up. I clicked it, and it closed the tab and took me back to the previous MR tab I had been reading.

I've never seen this behavior before (in any browser, although its been a bit since I used Chrome or FF on a regular basis), and thought it was a really cool feature! Again, sorry if this has been mentioned or isn't even new.

This behavior is present in Safari 9.1.1 for El Capitan. I had noticed it before Sierra was announced.

I'm running OSX 10.11.5 with Safari version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17) and I can't get this to work. I'm not using the beta version (maybe this is why?)

Can you please give me a test link that works for you.

Thanks

P.S. Never mind, just saw your later post:

Turns out it only works like that in Safari 9.1.1/El Capitan when the link originates in a pinned tab, not a normal one. My mistake.

Can someone please confirm whether you can open any link in a new tab and then press back button to close the tab and return to the original tab in Sierra or does this also only work for pinned tabs?

Thanks

Last edited:

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA

If this requirement makes its way to the final release, this can be troubling for those who are on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. They would have to purchase OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion from the Apple Online Store as a springboard for the update to macOS Sierra.

View attachment 636834
Easy workaround: change a PLIST (forgot which one) to make the OS reflect 10.7 instead of 10.6.8, then download the installer, run it, then change the PLIST back to 10.6.8, then continue with the installer. Should work that way.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Can someone check if the volume beeps sound the same? Maybe record them? (Just hold shift while pressing volume up/down).

emacs --version
php --version
httpd -v
ruby --version
bashb --version
git --version
openssl version

emacs: 22.1.1
php: 5.5.34
httpd: Apache/2.4.20 (Unix)
ruby: 2.0.0p648
bash: 3.25
openssl: 0.9.8zh

Bashb doesn't seem to work here, just bash does. For git I've got to download additional stuff (don't want to waste my space at this point). Hope this helps. :p

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Easy workaround: change a PLIST (forgot which one) to make the OS reflect 10.7 instead of 10.6.8, then download the installer, run it, then change the PLIST back to 10.6.8, then continue with the installer. Should work that way.

Not sure if this installer links against 10.7-specific APIs. If that's the case, this trick wouldn't work.
Also, Snow Leopard's codesigning mechanism doesn't complain after changing Info.plist, but Mavericks and above does. In the future, a resign of the binary is also required.
[doublepost=1466416738][/doublepost]

emacs --version
php --version
httpd -v
ruby --version
bashb --version
git --version
openssl version

emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.1.1
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

php --version
PHP 5.5.34 (cli) (built: May 11 2016 08:58:52)
Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies

httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.20 (Unix)
Server built: May 11 2016 08:28:41

ruby --version
ruby 2.0.0p648 (2015-12-16 revision 53162) [universal.x86_64-darwin16]

bashb --version
-bash: bashb: command not found

git --version
git version 1.8.5.2 (Apple Git-48)

openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
All of this increased iCloud integration would be great... if they upped the free storage. Are they seriously still keeping 5GB as the threshold?

This is going to be a nightmare scenario for the casual user who has these new features turned on, only to be told they now have to start paying monthly to keep things as they are.
I think they've got to know this and it will probably be a perk announcement at the next iPhone event.
We shall see I guess.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think they've got to know this and it will probably be a perk announcement at the next iPhone event.
We shall see I guess.

They are intentionally doing this to up-sell their paid plans. If you want to use Documents & Desktop in Cloud and have no space available, you have to pay.

If you don't want to pay, disable the features and everything remains the same as always.

Reactions: jblagden

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
They are intentionally doing this to up-sell their paid plans. If you want to use Documents & Desktop in Cloud and have no space available, you have to pay.

If you don't want to pay, disable the features and everything remains the same as always.
You are probably right.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
PPTP VPN is gone. yeah, I know that this protocol shouldn't be used anymore... but I need to use it on a daily basis.

If enough of us open tickets maybe they'll change their minds??

I opened up a ticket with Apple Support, please do the same.

r3volution11

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
I think I saw an option for this in TinkerTool or Onyx. But I am not 100% sure and can't launch both of them at the moment because there is no version for Sierra yet. You could try it in El Capitan. Both are for free. With Onyx you should be a little careful what you do in there. TinkerTool is harmless and just can enable some "hidden" functions for what you normally need some Terminal command. Onyx does basically the same but is a little more powerful and has some features in it that you only should use if you know exactly what you are doing.

https://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

I'd suggest grabbing BetterSnapTool (https://www.boastr.net/bettersnaptool/). You can make window buttons do pretty much anything window related plus even quit the app. And of course the awesome windows snapping ability.

This still works out great in Sierra. I've had no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: gltzrsckchn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.