Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 12.04.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 12.04.05 AM.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,048

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Forgive me if this is has been mentioned, or maybe this was in Safari previously and I'm just now noticing it:

I clicked a hyperlink here in MacRumors, which opened a new tab. Instead of the back button being grayed out like it usually is in new tabs, it was lit up. I clicked it, and it closed the tab and took me back to the previous MR tab I had been reading.

I've never seen this behavior before (in any browser, although its been a bit since I used Chrome or FF on a regular basis), and thought it was a really cool feature! Again, sorry if this has been mentioned or isn't even new.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...Microsoft just decreased their free tier from 15 to 5 GBs. Turns out giving away more than enough storage for the vast majority of users isn't sustainable....
theverge.com said:
...the company is going to allow OneDrive users to keep their existing 15GB of free storage and the 15GB camera roll bonus (30GB in total of free storage)...
http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/11/9890966/microsoft-onedrive-free-storage
[doublepost=1466053773][/doublepost]
This information is outdated and therefore no longer correct! See also:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...lows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
People spend a year telling Apple they only thing they want from the next version of OSX is bug fixes.
Then when Apple gives them a release that is 90% bug fixes (and so there is little to talk about except "fluff") they complain like it's the end of the world.

God people suck.
That's assuming there actually are bug fixes....

Reactions: jasnw

jamesg007

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
I take a lot of photos with a Canon DSLR that doesn't geotag so it's very handy being able to batch change locations after the fact!

Check out GeoTagr on App Store to use your iPhone for geotagging your DSLR photos. I do this and it's amazing.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
There's just a check box that says "back up automatically"
I like the new TimeMachine look and option in Sierra. Nice to be able to back up manually, by just unticking the box...
Something so simple, it's a wonder they didn't do that years ago. It's finally as it always should have been.

I clicked a hyperlink here in MacRumors, which opened a new tab. Instead of the back button being grayed out like it usually is in new tabs, it was lit up. I clicked it, and it closed the tab and took me back to the previous MR tab I had been reading.

I've never seen this behavior before (in any browser, although its been a bit since I used Chrome or FF on a regular basis), and thought it was a really cool feature! Again, sorry if this has been mentioned or isn't even new.
That sounds like an awesome feature, I'm surprised it's never shown up before. It always seemed counterintuitive to disable the back button in those instances. Neat.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Haha wow, I feel silly then...all these years I thought it did! I even made an AIM account for my mom so I could screen share with her whenever she has computer questions...well then! Good to know!!:eek:

Totally agree that screen sharing with iOS devices would be awesome though...

Before Yosemite, an AIM/iChat account was the only way to use screen sharing.

Screen Sharing actually dates back many, many years, from the time the messenging app was still called "iChat". I'm not completely sure when it was added, but definitely before Snow Leopard.
Screen Sharing was introduced as an iChat feature in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Check out GeoTagr on App Store to use your iPhone for geotagging your DSLR photos. I do this and it's amazing.

I just looked it up and that looks really cool! I never thought much about tagging them later on my Mac that much, since I do all my edits there anyway, but I do find that if I have a lot of pictures, I can get a little lazy with how granular I get with the tagging, like tagging them all with the general neighborhood instead of actual locations. This looks like it could help a lot, thanks for the recommendation! :)

Before Yosemite, an AIM/iChat account was the only way to use screen sharing.

Thanks for letting me know, I somehow totally missed this feature two years ago! Good to know though! :eek:

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
How's Sierra's performance compared to El Cap? Has graphics performance improved at all?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I started using Google Photos a couple of months ago - in order to synch my iPhone photos and save space.

Now considering moving all my photos over from the Mac Photos app tbh. Is there anything the new iteration offers that Google Photos doesn't? Other than a nicer UX...

Hmm, I don't know anything about Google Photos and never liked Apple's Photos app, so I can't even tell the changes. I have my photos now just stored in normal folders and will try Growly Photo, what is a lightweight application looking very similar like iPhoto. It's free and I think it keeps the photos where they are without having a big library file.

You might have a look at it:

http://www.growlybird.com/photo/index.html

There is also this App for €/$ 2.99 on iOS and free for Mac and Windows to transfer photos using Wi-Fi. I never tried it, but I got it a while back when it was the free app of the week:

https://www.photosync-app.com

Reactions: rogerbarton

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
True. But it was correct at the time of release. So, if someone with a third-party Solid State Drive upgraded to Yosemite shortly after its release, they would be unable to boot unless they were using an OWC Solid State Drive.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I started using Google Photos a couple of months ago - in order to synch my iPhone photos and save space.

Now considering moving all my photos over from the Mac Photos app tbh. Is there anything the new iteration offers that Google Photos doesn't? Other than a nicer UX...
[doublepost=1466005343][/doublepost]

Yes, I will. But I'm not a casual user. Point is that this is going to create a really bad user experience unless the up the free cap.

79p a month for 50GB of space. If you're opposed to that but want massive backs ups and gobs of free space on a phone that costs a shed load, I don't know what to say to you. At some point, it becomes your issue, not apple's.

Last edited:
Reactions: silvetti and name99

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
True. But it was correct at the time of release. So, if someone with a third-party Solid State Drive upgraded to Yosemite shortly after its release, they would be unable to boot unless they were using an OWC Solid State Drive.
That is not the case at all and you are misunderstanding the issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with OWC SSDs. If you read the articles you linked, the issue was Yosemite started a feature called KEXT signing. So if you had installed a third party SSD (from OWC or anybody else) and hacked the KEXT files to enable TRIM, Yosemite would recognize the hacked KEXT file and slam on the brakes unless you disabled KEXT signing.

So you had two choices.... just install Yosemite and use your third party SSD without TRIM, or turn off KEXT signing and hack the KEXT to enable TRIM. Either one worked fine. Nothing in Yosemite made it stop working with third party SSDs. All it did was complicate hacking to enable TRIM.

If you just installed Yosemite to a third party SSD like we are discussing here with Sierra, it would work just fine.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Forgive me if this is has been mentioned, or maybe this was in Safari previously and I'm just now noticing it:

Here's a screenshot of when you click and hold it. Sorry, it's in Dutch. But it just says 'Close and return to '... ' etc (webpage of MacRumors). Works kinda like the deep links in iOS 9 and onwards. Pretty cool indeed!

Schermafbeelding 2016-06-16 om 19.19.22.png

Reactions: AdeFowler

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

This behavior is present in Safari 9.1.1 for El Capitan. I had noticed it before Sierra was announced.

fastthumbs

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by this omission too. I like Flux, but I like Night Shift better. I have kind of a crazy work schedule and don't always want Flux to stick to a schedule, or automatically come on at sunset or whatever. I like Night Shift because you have the option to turn it on and off wheneber you want - a super simple option that I haven't figured out how to do with Flux (although maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Haha):rolleyes:

Surprised no one has replied yet. Flux has always had this option—just click the flux icon in your menu bar and choose one of the options under "Disable". There're also some nice effects. I like "movie mode" for working late—it's easier on the eyes than the daytime blue, but not distractingly candle-yellow.

Last edited:
Reactions: blasto2236

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004

All Apple did (apart from the fact that the details in both those clickbait articles are obsolete) is remove TRIM functionality from the drives. That is a FAR cry from "prevents booting from the drives".
If you're interested in actually booting fast off an external SSD, probably the far more important point than TRIM is to get a UASP compliant USB3 enclosure. But of course since no-one has been printing click-bait articles on some "scandal" involving Apple and UASP, you've no idea about this, do you.

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
I just checked in 9.1.1 on my iMac that is still running El Cap, and it did not behave this way.

It works slightly different in El Capitan. In El Capitan if you click a link that takes you to another page within the same tab you can press and hold the back button and choose to get back to any page that you had visited previously within that tab. The back button does not respond in El Capitan like you described it does in Sierra.

rogerbarton

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
79p a month for 50GB of space. If you're opposed to that but want massive backs ups and gobs of free space on a phone that costs a shed load, I don't know what to say to you. At some point, it becomes your issue, not apple's.
I'm really not talking about myself. Really. I don't know how many times I need to stress that.

Point is that the average consumer does not expect to have to pay extra for a feature they probably don't even understand. Especially if they have paid "a shed load of money" on a phone.

Reactions: AllergyDoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.