Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
You can now select Celcius specifically instead of Fahrenheit in the US. Finally a proper unit of temperature! :)

View attachment 639147

Compare that to El Capitan:

View attachment 639148

However, you cannot change (or atleast I haven't found it yet) the Format language so that the OS's language is set to english but days and months are written in my own language. It was there in El Capitan.

This is El Capitan:

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 13.29.51.png

Sierra:

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 13.30.38.png

And it's the same for iOS 10.

Last edited:

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Have you seen this audio slider which is now horizontal after many years of being vertical?

Is it a Sierra DP1 thing or DP2 thing? Can't remember if it was in DP1. I only saw it in DP2 Sierra today.

View attachment 639144
That looks more functional than the old one. It also reminds me of the displays menu bar item which allowed you to change resolutions and switch between mirroring and extending the desktop, which I think was in OS X until Mountain Lion.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Not in my village ... all I can get is 3.5 down and 0.9 up ..... BT think I should be happy with this service

Of course not everywhere on the world has the 1Gb/s internet coverage. Luckily I am in Hong Kong, one of the fastest average internet speed city. In our town, the 1000MB/s connection (both up and down) is normal for home use, which can cost as low as $25 per month. However, we can get that because the extreme population density. 7 Million people in a very very small area, it's relative low cost for the ISP to finish and maintain the network in such small area. So that we can enjoy the cheap internet service. However, the side effect, our property price is crazy. A 40+ years old apartment can easily go above $1500 per square foot :confused:

Anyway, what I want to say is just the Ethernet port on the Mac's are 1Gb/s, and most of the PC are also with the Gigabit port, so any internet connection within that spec are actually normal. What we was surprised is from that 190MB/s typo, which equals to ~1500Mb/s, and that's outside a normal Mac's spec. It's achievable, but just not quite make sense to spend such a large amount of money on the super speed internet speed on a 2011 iMac.

And your 3.5 down 0.9up sounds like MB, not Mb. So, if I am right, that's actually the 30Mb/s board band network.

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Of course not everywhere on the world has the 1Gb/s internet coverage. Luckily I am in Hong Kong, one of the fastest average internet speed city. In our town, the 1000MB/s connection (both up and down) is normal for home use, which can cost as low as $25 per month. However, we can get that because the extreme population density. 7 Million people in a very very small area, it's relative low cost for the ISP to finish and maintain the network in such small area. So that we can enjoy the cheap internet service. However, the side effect, our property price is crazy. A 40+ years old apartment can easily go above $1500 per square foot :confused:

Anyway, what I want to say is just the Ethernet port on the Mac's are 1Gb/s, and most of the PC are also with the Gigabit port, so any internet connection within that spec are actually normal. What we was surprised is from that 190MB/s typo, which equals to ~1500Mb/s, and that's outside a normal Mac's spec. It's achievable, but just not quite make sense to spend such a large amount of money on the super speed internet speed on a 2011 iMac.

And your 3.5 down 0.9up sounds like MB, not Mb. So, if I am right, that's actually the 30Mb/s board band network.

$25 for a gig broadband connection? WOW ... But don't think I could cope with the busyness of living in Hong Kong ... The heat nearly killed me when I was there for a few days LOL ... Very interesting place though.

Re my connection ... It is 3.5 Mbps and 0.9 Mbps up :-( I would love to have 30Mbps!

BT advertised 12-18 via Fibre .... But could only deliver 2.5 and refuse to do anything to fix it.

BT Openreach are hopeless

Last edited:

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA

I'd love to have my network connection limited by ethernet speed :)

Reactions: jblagden

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Windows snapping, finally! And it's the really good type of window snapping I loved that some old apps like Winamp had. This, along with picture in picture, (and of course we already have fullscreen side-by-side) is really welcome. Cannot wait.

Can anybody quickly confirm if this behavior is new in DP1? I suspect this user is confused and is referring to the window snapping we already knew about as of DP1. Ie: You can snap windows onto one another side by side, but you can't actually snap to the corners or sides of the desktop like with Windows / Better Snap Tool. IMO, this is kind of useless, and I'd prefer Windows style snapping.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Is the ability to change the Siri keyboard shortcut new?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 1.44.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 1.44.41 AM.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 256

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Can anybody quickly confirm if this behavior is new in DP1? I suspect this user is confused and is referring to the window snapping we already knew about as of DP1. Ie: You can snap windows onto one another side by side, but you can't actually snap to the corners or sides of the desktop like with Windows / Better Snap Tool. IMO, this is kind of useless, and I'd prefer Windows style snapping.

I'm not confused. The type of snapping you are referring to (50/50 side by side) has existed in OSX since Yosemite. It's just more a fullscreen function.

I was just replying to this...(quoted below) which could literally be called "window snapping", but to avoid confusion lets call it "magnetic window edges" or "neat window alignment". And it does snap of the corners or sides of the desktop, and the baseline of other windows looking at the video, it just doesn't re-size to 50% of the screen at the same time. Useful, imo for bigger displays, like 27" plus where you can need access to a lot of small finder or terminal windows, and want them all quickly rammed to the edge of the screen one after the other (i do this a lot)

For anyone wondering how that "window snapping" feature works:

Rather than snapping to the corners or sides of the screen like you can do in windows, in macOS, they snap to the edges and corners each other, the edges of the screen, and the top of the dock. It is similar to how objects snap together in interface builder if you have ever used that.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
In my humble opinion at least the last two OSX operating systems had grave user-interface problems.

Alas, there seems to be no end to this trend of abandoning sound usability principles for no reason at all (at least my little chicken brain cannot fathom a reason for most of the crap the Apple engineers are spiting out lately).

Here is a nice example from the Finder in the latest beta build of Sierra.

Picture 1 shows the menubar
103sccm.png

Picture 2 shows the menubar after clicking the loudspeaker icon that regulates the volume.
2qnw9ad.png

Clicking the icon moves it (and ALL icons to the left of it) one step to the left. This is happening in ordet to open the drop down menu. Please observe that the drop down starts underneath the Bluetooth icon, not the loudspeaker icon.

Moreover some half-brained moron thought it more natural (intuitive) to change the sound volume from low to high by dragin left-right and not up-down like it was before.

(for those wondering what the έ icon is I can tell it’s the icon for the greek language, which previously was the greek flag. I suppose this is just a bug that would be fixed in the next update)

Whoever implemented this should consider himself very lucky he doesn’t have me as his manager.

If I was his manager, he and the whole of his departement would be out looking for a job before you could say “Apple get your sh•t together”

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 178

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Please remember the software you are using is still in beta, and you can't expect Apple to have fixed all the minor cosmetic issues.
In my humble opinion at least the last two OSX operating systems had grave user-interface problems.

Alas, there seems to be no end to this trend of abandoning sound usability principles for no reason at all (at least my little chicken brain cannot fathom a reason for most of the crap the Apple engineers are spiting out lately).

103sccm.png

Picture 2 shows the menubar after clicking the loudspeaker icon that regulates the volume.
2qnw9ad.png

Clicking the icon moves it (and ALL icons to the left of it) one step to the left. This is happening in ordet to open the drop down menu. Please observe that the drop down starts underneath the Bluetooth icon, not the loudspeaker icon.

Moreover some half-brained moron thought it more natural (intuitive) to change the sound volume from low to high by dragin left-right and not up-down like it was before.

(for those wondering what the έ icon is I can tell it’s the icon for the greek language, which previously was the greek flag. I suppose this is just a bug that would be fixed in the next update)

Whoever implemented this should consider himself very lucky he doesn’t have me as his manager.

If I was his manager, he and the whole of his departement would be out looking for a job before you could say “Apple get your sh•t together”

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

103sccm.png

2qnw9ad.png

Pretty sure most of those issues are bugs and not intentional.

Reactions: jgelin and ErikGrim

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'm not confused. The type of snapping you are referring to (50/50 side by side) has existed in OSX since Yosemite. It's just more a fullscreen function.

I was just replying to this...(quoted below) which could literally be called "window snapping", but to avoid confusion lets call it "magnetic window edges" or "neat window alignment". And it does snap of the corners or sides of the desktop, and the baseline of other windows looking at the video, it just doesn't re-size to 50% of the screen at the same time. Useful, imo for bigger displays, like 27" plus where you can need access to a lot of small finder or terminal windows, and want them all quickly rammed to the edge of the screen one after the other (i do this a lot)

Ok, so this is the same feature reported a month back in this thread. Thanks for clarifying. Still wish they allowed snapping to the edge of the screen like in Windows. I've never personally known anybody who uses apps in full screen in OS X, so to me split view is more important for iPads.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I wonder if it's there cause I installed it over El Capitan...

It is supposed to be there if you enable it with ‘sudo spctl --master-disable’. This preference also carries over if you previously had the ‘Anywhere’ option selected. Once you deselect the ‘Anywhere’ option, the option will disappear the next time you open System Preferences.

SafariX

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Does anyone know how to enable iCloud Password login? It won't give me the choice to use my iCloud password to login on my 12 inch MacBook

pmostoff

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
If I recall correctly, when I was setting up two-factor authentication, it alerted me that I would no longer be able to sign in using my iCloud password and would be required to use a new one. Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's what happened for me.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008

103sccm.png

2qnw9ad.png

That honestly looks like an "off by one" type of error in the UI handling. I'd fully expect that's a bug and not a UI design choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.