Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

blaichch

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Augsburg, Germany
  • Profile picture selection now has a "Current" view
Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 23.24.03.png
  • Maps search field is now labled "Where do you want to go?" instead of "Search for place or address"
Untitled.png
  • Mission Control now shows a "No Available Windows" if there are no windows to show
Untitled2.png

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
So that basically means that they are pulling APFS in the release build of Sierra. They probably want to use this year's pre-release as well as next year's to iron out all the issues.

It was never part of Sierra other than being there for dev testing, so it wasn't really "pulled". At WWDC Apple said it'll be released and on their devices next year. I'd assume 10.13, but maybe sooner.

Apple is releasing developer previews of APFS as part of Sierra so that there can be lots of eyeballs looking at it and testing it before it goes GM next year.

strelok1911

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Romania
Nobody posted about the new Photos interface?
It's in the Public Beta.

Of course, everything is hidden in my screenshot. Sorry about that. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 01.21.00.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 01.21.00.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 560

pmostoff

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2015
Nobody posted about the new Photos interface?
It's in the Public Beta.

Of course, everything is hidden in my screenshot. Sorry about that. :)
Do you mean the sidebar? If so, that's not new. It was just hidden by default before.

Personally, I've tried using it before and (maybe it's just because I got used to using it without the sidebar to begin with) I'm not a fan of using it with the sidebar. It might have something to do with the fact that albums can't be collapsed. I'm never a fan of long lists that go off the screen in sidebars. So I've stuck to hiding it and using the top bar for navigation. Bit more of an iOS feel but in a good way for me. But to each their own and hopefully you enjoy it!

On another note, did albums always scan through the contained pictures when you mouse over the thumbnail? I remember iPhoto doing this but don't remember them acting that way in the new Photos. Glad to see it back if it was gone. It's a nice touch.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Anybody know how to make QuickTime autoplay upon opening a movie?

The old command defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1 doesn't seem to work anymore.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Hi,

did anyone who already had the developer preview installed and also redeemed the public beta code in addition?

After I did that the developer preview is gone from my purchases in the App Store and I can't redeem the developer code again. So be careful if you want to do the same.

Luckily I saved the installer and know where the delta/combo updates are saved on Apple's servers. But I hope there will be a new full installer in some later beta like last year. I think it was developer beta 3 or 4.

They reduced the size from the El Capitan to Sierra installer very much and again a little from Developer Preview 1 to Public Beta 1. The full installer of El Capitan 10.11.5 is 6.22 GB, Sierra DP1 is just 5.01 GB and PB1 4.87 GB.

It got larger every year and now it is even smaller than Mavericks and getting near the size of Mountain Lion:

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 12.07.24.png

Has someone maybe checked if a clean installed Sierra is really smaller than El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks or if the installation app is just better compressed?

For those who don't know, the "macOS Recovery HD Updates" like the one released today do never update the recovery partition to the latest beta version. Only a full installer does.
That's why I downloaded the public beta too, for the case of a clean install on another Mac. I think those are just updates for the system files and utilities on the Recovery partition.

Reactions: pmostoff

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2012
Hi,

did anyone who already had the developer preview installed and also redeemed the public beta code in addition?

After I did that the developer preview is gone from my purchases in the App Store and I can't redeem the developer code again. So be careful if you want to do the same.

That has nothing to do with it. It has disappeared for developers - including those who did not get the public beta.

Reactions: Erdbeertorte

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Just a tip for your dropbox: ZIP (or tar-gz) the images before putting them in Dropbox. Dropbox doesn't handle everything correctly in those bundles (.app isn't a file, it's a folder, really).

Thanks, that's a good idea. I already recognized that Dropbox uploads every single file in those installer apps like it was a folder and the uploads took very long.
Also sometimes they did not work anymore for a USB installer after syncing Dropbox to a new Mac for example and I had to download them from the App Store again.

Back to topic:

The size did not really change for the ZIP files, difference is less than 5 MB for each of them.

So they already had the same compression level and Sierra seems to have gotten cleaned up very much under the hood if it is that much smaller already now in comparison to the latest versions of El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks.

oscaralaniz

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Here you go:

Very stable release so far. Only thing I can't get working is PiP, the button doesn't seem to exist anywhere, I hope this isn't limited to the newer machines with next gen iProcessors.

To get PiP in YouTube, you have to right-clic TWO times.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Hmm, I remembered this being one of the little things in the El Capitan beta. Could be wrong though, or maybe it was moved in a Yosemite update. It's definitely in the old location in Mavericks.
[doublepost=1466951785][/doublepost]The volume/brightness level overlay has been very slightly tweaked in dark mode. El Capitan on the left, Sierra on the right.
View attachment 637854 View attachment 637853
Took me a minute to spot. Wow. This is the definition of "little things" but I'm glad Apple has a design team worried about such seemingly minor items.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
You do realize this is the macOS thread right ?

Not the IOS 10 thread.

This is macOS Sierra menubar
[doublepost=1468059467][/doublepost]
What are the apps? It the app developers have to handle the "dark mode" option... here's mine and all of my apps show correctly...

View attachment 639574

No, is actually the macOS Sierra public beta and is running on a Ma book pro 13 early 2011

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-09%20at%2012.07.09.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-09%20at%2012.07.27.png

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No, is actually the macOS Sierra public beta and is running on a Ma book pro 13 early 2011

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-09%20at%2012.07.09.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-09%20at%2012.07.27.png

These two photos don't say anything as one (the lower) is with "Use dark menubar and Dock" set "on" and the other is with that setting "off". To prove it was a macOS Sierra issue, we'd need to see the "dark menubar" setting shots of El Capitan (or Yosemite) and Sierra.

What are the apps? It the app developers have to handle the "dark mode" option... here's mine and all of my apps show correctly...

View attachment 639574

My screenshot (above) is from macOS Sierra DP2 with "dark menubar" on my 2012 rMBP.

Are you suggesting that there's a difference between how the "dark menubar" setting works in DP2 and PB1? That would be an interesting twist.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.