Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Is language selector also this chonky in monterey?

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 05.01.27.png

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I'll second that - I forget what it was but I had a weird bug get fixed in macOS because of that. I asked around and it didn't affect anyone else I knew and showed screenshots & screen recordings to and they couldn't replicate. Submitted a bug report through Feedback Assistant and like a month later, got an email that it was resolved. Next update, sure enough Apple fixed the bug.

If you know how to write a helpful bug report, Apple should hopefully do something with it.
Also related the Feedback Assistant -- your individual report might not be responded to but if there's a lot of people reporting the same thing, it will get noticed. If nobody bothers to report something, it'll get lost in the noise.

Reactions: owidhh

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Really want to hear kernel / core OS and other low level details. This is the one area that receives the least attention and is actually the most important to document.

I would love that too.

In the Developer Release Notes I found this:

There’s a change to the implementation of the msdos and exfat file systems. Apps that check for those specific file system formats might not detect them. Please file feedback if this impacts your app. (90768681)

I'm really curious what they did there.

• Wow
Reactions: nortonandreev

mat1696

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
Don't just hope, use Feedback Assistant. While it does seem like screaming into the void sometimes, I have had actual replies from Apple staff in that app, asking to provide details/screencasts/etc to demonstrate issues I was having. So it's not being ignored...
Btw they didn’t event take time to rename « System Preferences » into Settings in Feedback Assistants (nor did they add the new sections)

eablokker

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
Are there any new sidebar widgets? The weather app seems to be made out of what look like sidebar widgets, including one for air quality. I'd really love to be able to put that in my sidebar.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Okay, so I was able to get it installed and up/running. I was most curious about the new System Settings app (System Preferences' replacement), and while initially I wanted to be positive and give it a chance, unfortunately, I am not impressed. It's basically iOS now, and the submenus are awful and hard on the eyes. The great visual trackpad pane is now all text; no "demonstration". It's pitiful, honestly.

View attachment 2014777
^ This is Accessibility — not too bad upon first sight, BUT...

View attachment 2014782
^ This is the display submenu of Accessibility. It's horrid. Hard on the eyes, too "wordy" without visual indicators, meh.

Also, there does not seem to be a way to rotate between desktop wallpapers anymore. Edit: Nevermind, you can still do that. You do have to 'select' a folder, or cluster, then click the "i" button, then it'll allow you to rotate, etc. It just isn't clear upfront.

Specifically in regards to System Settings, ugh. I really don't like how they went with the lowest common denominator, especially there was nothing wrong with the previous configuration. It might have been a bit dated, but it was much easier on the eyes and more "tight".

Edit: Added a screenshot of trackpad settings to show what I mean when I mentioned trackpad settings and no more demonstrations.
View attachment 2014808
^ This is Ventura. Now, compare and contrast...
View attachment 2014809
^ In Monterey, here's what it looks like - very user-friendly and easy on the eyes, right?

Hopefully this is just beta and they'll tweak SP to make it more... I don't know, maybe less iOS-like? Especially with the submenus.
I couldn't agree more with you: the new system setting layout is just unpractical, ugly on the eye and difficult to navigate. Overall I must say I am absolutely un-impressed by the new Ventura OS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.