Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
The problem, I think, is that the iMac 17,1 is AVX-compliant, whereas the Mac Pro 5,1 isn't. This means there's no chance that Parallels Desktop will run an unpatched version of Ventura/Sonoma/Sequoia virtual machine on a physical processor that doesn't support AVX2.
I hadn't thought of that, since we were talking about virtual machines. I'm still trying to decide if I want to put OCLP back on this iMac right now. It sounds like both Sonoma aren't the safest right now in terms of problems. So I currently have Monterey, and Mojave installed on the internal Fusion drive via APFS Volumes, and Linux is on an external drive. If I do Open Core again, I'll do it by adding a third APFS Volume, but not sure which one to do, especially since I did experience an internet issue similar to that discussed with Sequoia, but it happened with Sonoma in my case. I think it was 14.6. I ended up having to power cycle the modem. So not sure if it was related, but ever since I've stuck with supported versions, I haven't had anymore random issues like that.

Reactions: PeterHolbrook

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Running 15.1 b5 on rMBP10,1 + OCLP 2.1.0n, a previous problem has returned, I call it "the clamshell blues".

When plugged-in to external monitor via HDMI, if I close the laptop lid the HDMI connection drops, and the external display's OSD reports getting no HDMI signal.

I've tried various permutations in Sys settings > Displays, and also in > Battery > Advanced (sleep power modes), rebooting in between. No dice. Anyone have any insights into why the HDMI might be switching off when I close the lid? I'm sure it's something really simple but I'm stumped at this point.

Edit: I think I fixed it. The rMBP10,1 was not on shore power. Plugged in the MagSafe and sure enough now works with lid closed. Doh...

Edit 2: No wallpaper though, just a solid royal blue background. Tried changing the display's color profile in sys settings, went through all of them, no dice.

Last edited:

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
Just installed macOS 15.0 Sequoia with OCLP 2.1.0 Nightly dated April 23, 2024.
I downloaded the Installer with OCLP
I started the installation directly from macOS Sonoma 14.7
Upon completion, I installed the Post Install Patch
After rebooting, the Mac was not smooth and the Dock and Menu Bar transparencies were missing. Apple TV+ movies would not start, etc.
I STARTED THE POST INSTALL PATCH AGAIN, which this time had me download a Metal installation package first.
Upon completion of this 2nd PIP, I restarted the Mac and I found a fully functioning System that seems smoother and snappier than Sonoma

Thank you Developers!

Finally, I hope someone can suggest me a link with instructions for using the animated Sequoia wallpaper; and by “dynamic” I mean the wallpaper that is actually a .MOV movie. Assuming it can be done in Intel Macs
Thank you

iMac-27-inch-late-2013.jpg

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
27Imac13.2, late 2012/Sequoia, latest Oclp options.
I am sending from Ipad. Last night I put the IMac to sleep, a few hours later the black screen would not change so I shut down restarted, got the message about shutting down because of a problem, and the screen was very odd. A series of about 40 half inch columns covering the entire screen with the logo sorry I can’t figure out how to include a photo on the iPad. It freezes in whatever mode I try to restart including recovery, in hardware test there is a little message at the top about EFI and that’s it. I have reset hvram. It boots about halfway on the logo bar then freezes. It had been working great with the last beta .5.
The above info still applies, I can access the different startup options by pressing the space bar but nothing has worked. Including trying to startup from the Catalina partition. Right now I am just trying to get to the place that I can erase both partitions and use time machine for a clean start. Please help.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
The above info still applies, I can access the different startup options by pressing the space bar but nothing has worked. Including trying to startup from the Catalina partition. Right now I am just trying to get to the place that I can erase both partitions and use time machine for a clean start. Please help.
Can you force a reboot and hold down the shift key until it starts in safe mode? There would be other options available there, including reverting and reapplying root patches etc

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Can you force a reboot and hold down the shift key until it starts in safe mode? There would be other options available there, including reverting and reapplying root patches etc
I have to press the power button to turn off and on, safe mode freezes after about half the bar is complete. I have tried this several times. Same for recovery mode. Right now I am trying internet recovery, the globe came up and the internet bar completed but now it looks like the boot bar is frozen again. Nothing boots past the startup screen which is a very odd 40, inch or so vertical shafts each filled with about 50 black and white tiles very strange

When I hit the escape key at startup it allows time for the mouse to start working and the key board works. I have tried the EFI in the exe panel. All just experiments, they all freeze about halfway.

Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I have to press the power button to turn off and on, safe mode freezes after about half the bar is complete. I have tried this several times. Same for recovery mode. Right now I am trying internet recovery, the globe came up and the internet bar completed but now it looks like the boot bar is frozen again. Nothing boots past the startup screen which is a very odd 40, inch or so vertical shafts each filled with about 50 black and white tiles very strange

When I hit the escape key at startup it allows time for the mouse to start working and the key board works. I have tried the EFI in the exe panel. All just experiments, they all freeze about halfway.
Maybe boot from an external drive, if you have one already set up as bootable? That way you could at least erase the internal drive with Disk Utility and do a clean install. Just throwing ideas out there.

Reactions: ronton3

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015

Sounds really like problems with the graphics chip or something related to that - and at approximately half the progress bar the macOS graphics drivers are loaded and take over the display.
So I'd suggest you look for how to do an NVRAM and SMC reset on your specific model and try those (after NVRAM reset you'll have to press option on startup in order to select the OpenCore bootloader).
In case that doesn't change anything I'd think of a GPU hardware problem.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Maybe boot from an external drive, if you have one already set up as bootable? That way you could at least erase the internal drive with Disk Utility and do a clean install. Just throwing ideas out there.
I have reset Nvram and Smc several times. I have an ssd with time machine but I do not think it is bootable. I have a bootable usb with Catalina which I will try any help with which keys to tap will be helpful.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I have reset Nvram and Smc several times. I have an ssd with time machine but I do not think it is bootable. I have a bootable usb with Catalina which I will try any help with which keys to tap will be helpful.
Yeah I keep a bootable copy of Catalina (last supported macOS on this m/c) on external SSD for use in exactly this type of situation. Basically I boot into Catalina and fire up Disk Utility, show all volumes.

You might be able to poke around on the internal drive in Finder but maybe not.
So far, on a few occasions now, there wasn't much else I could do than clean install. I'm running an rMBP10,1 2012 and am unfamiliar with iMacs, so make any adjustments appropriate for your m/c:

a) From Catalina, I would download the full macOS installer for the version I want to restore to, putting it on the Catalina desktop or in /Applications, I don't think it matters but /Applications would be best.
b) Grab the latest OCLP nightly package as well, and save it on Catalina. You might need it if you can't get back on the web later.
c) From Catalina, start Disk Utility and erase- & reformat the internal drive, all volumes.
d) From Catalina, run the Installer you downloaded. It will prompt you for which volume to install it into, select the internal drive.

You know the rest, keep us posted.

Last edited:

xlw108

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2021
Vienna
I still have the same problems using Sequoia with the TV app and Handbrake. But I have no problem with the Music app. I have over 20,00 music files on an external 24Tb HDD and those files matched with iTunes match (although 166 of them appear to have been deleted and not intentionally by me)

I have gone back to Monterey (I hope only temporarily) as the most stable macOS on my machine. I'm waiting for updates in both Sequoia and OCLP before I try again. I like Sequoia on my M1 MBA and would like it to be stable enough for me on both of my macPro 5,1s.
latest nightly 2.1.0 solved all my issues with Music.app so it looks like Sequoia now runs as stable (and subjectively even snappier) for me as Sonoma did across all my machines. A big thank you to the developers to have a stable system only a few days after public launch!!

p.s.: Only Shapr3D doesn't work on my cMP already since half time into Sonoma but on all others it does. But that's a topic for another post, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
I used the space bar to bring up the Catalina bootable usb, I selected it, it Started and is now frozen halfway, should I have tried other keys first?

Reactions: rehkram

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Since OCLP was installed, try rebooting with the option key pressed, go into EFI/boot perhaps?
EFI/boot tried and freezes as usual, there is something different now besides the two partitions, EFIboot and the usb installer there is an icon labeled “windows”. This is recent, and Windows has never been near this IMac 13.2. Very strange.

Things have changed.********I couldn’t help restarting, holding the option key then selecting the “Windows Icon”. Instantly the screen I have described was gone, it is now black with some seemingly random large white bars, and a huge message at the top saying.

Missing operating system
No bootable delete insert boot disk and press any key. That is repeated and under is a flashing dash.

I inserted the usb and hit keys but nothing happens and now the fan is running. Not sure what to do next, except to shut down because it’s getting hot.

What now guys?

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
EFI/boot tried and freezes as usual, there is something different now besides the two partitions, EFIboot and the usb installer there is an icon labeled “windows”. This is recent, and Windows has never been near this IMac 13.2. Very strange.

Things have changed.********I couldn’t help restarting, holding the option key then selecting the “Windows Icon”. Instantly the screen I have described was gone, it is now black with some seemingly random large white bars, and a huge message at the top saying.

Missing operating system
No bootable delete insert boot disk and press any key. That is repeated and under is a flashing dash.

I inserted the usb and hit keys but nothing happens and now the fan is running. Not sure what to do next, except to shut down because it’s getting hot.

What now guys?
Try booting with open core as you have been, hit space and select Reset NVRAM. Then hold option on reboot and select the catalina drive directly. This solved issues on my multi boot system with Oclp installed. In my case Monterey is the last official OS.

GrandLepton

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2019
Keynote crashes on iMac15,1 Sequoia +OCLP 2.0.1. It crashes immediately on drawing a straight line.

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process: Keynote [25545]
Path: /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/MacOS/Keynote
Identifier: com.apple.iWork.Keynote
Version: 14.2 (7041.0.109)
Build Info: Keynote-7041000109000000~4 (1A109s)
App Item ID: 409183694
App External ID: 866884071
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 25008

Date/Time: 2024-09-26 13:25:20.7256 +0200
OS Version: macOS 15.0 (24A335)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 80F760D8-DA51-280F-EC69-FE43A59A3881

Time Awake Since Boot: 620000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 10 Dispatch queue: com.apple.iwork.TSDBrushStrokeMetalShaderQueue

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000700011942b62
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000700011942b62

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [25545]

VM Region Info: 0x700011942b62 is not in any region. Bytes after previous region: 13232995 Bytes before following region: 17181745861790
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
Stack 700010c22000-700010ca4000 [ 520K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV thread 15
---> GAP OF 0xfa070a5c000 BYTES
MALLOC_TINY 7fa081700000-7fa081800000 [ 1024K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x7ff80b40e5d2 __ulock_wait + 10
1 libdispatch.dylib 0x7ff80b2a6ffa _dlock_wait + 46
2 libdispatch.dylib 0x7ff80b2a72bb _dispatch_group_wait_slow + 42
3 TSApplication 0x10913b0b2 0x108d14000 + 4354226
4 TSApplication 0x109134733 0x108d14000 + 4327219
5 TSApplication 0x10909dd20 0x108d14000 + 3710240

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY

Missing operating system

What now guys?
Wow! I'll have to think about this. What type of drives does it have in it, OEM? Do you have another Mac there?

If it were me I'd be aiming to do a clean install of Catalina on it. I believe that would be the last supported version for the iMac 13,2 according to everymac.com, https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.9-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

Last edited:

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Try booting with open core as you have been, hit space and select Reset NVRAM. Then hold option on reboot and select the catalina drive directly. This solved issues on my multi boot system with Oclp installed. In my case Monterey is the last official OS.
I did this a couple of screens and the message about shutting down because of a problem appeared then it started and froze as usual.

The Imac is original and the only one I have. This is from my Mini 6 IPad.

Reactions: rehkram

HotMrmt

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2024
A little update about Sequoia on iMac 8,1 oclp 2.1.0 (nightly): I’m wondering going back to Ventura, as it was the smoother os for my machine. Sonoma was a little slower and Sequoia gives tons of problems (Ethernet going down everytime computer goes on standby mode, Wi-Fi often doesn’t respond, random flickers, App Store crashing). I can’t really use any of the new features, so I think I don’t have interest to keep Sequoia.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
27Imac13.2, late 2012/Sequoia, latest Oclp options.
I am sending from Ipad. Last night I put the IMac to sleep, a few hours later the black screen would not change so I shut down restarted, got the message about shutting down because of a problem, and the screen was very odd. A series of about 40 half inch columns covering the entire screen with the logo visible but somewhat obscured, sorry I can’t figure out how to include a photo on the iPad. It freezes in whatever mode I try to restart including recovery, in hardware test there is a little message at the top about EFI and that’s it. I have reset hvram. It boots about halfway on the logo bar,
but the columns are always there. It had been working great with the last beta .5.

Any ideas, could it be a hardware issue, I have never seen that screen before.
After many attempts I am coming to believe nothing is going to work, and that the Imac is bricked, I wonder if a computer shop can do something we have been unable to do. All I want is to wipe it and start over with Time Machine, and I can’t even do that. I can access all the login options with the spacebar but everything freezes at the Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.