Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
It is a 27 inch 13.2 IMac, late 2012. Internal, 2 partitions, Catalina, Sequioa. I have a usb Catalina, and a Oclp derived Sequoia usb. I don’t understand the last question, I can’t get past the login screen, everything freezes.
Let’s just focus on the hardware: An iMac from that year typically came with a HDD, a fusion drive or an SSD pre-installed. Which one is it? Was that hard drive swapped at any point in time later on?

Is it possible to boot that Mac from a MacOS USB installer? Post Catalina should be patched.

If you got a thunderbolt cable and a second machine at hand you could start the iMac in Target mode to at least backup and then erase the internal hard drive whatsoever.

Last edited:

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Let’s just focus on the hardware: An iMac from that year typically came with a HDD, a fusion drive or an SSD pre-installed. Which one is it? Was that hard drive swapped at any point in time later on?

Is it possible to boot that Mac from a MacOS USB installer? Post Catalina should be patched.

If you got a thunderbolt cable and a second machine at hand you could start the iMac in Target mode to at least backup and then erase the internal hard drive whatsoever.
Thanks everyone for all the help, but I just returned from the computer shop. He says the oddly tiled startup screen means the GPU is shot.

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Thanks everyone for all the help, but I just returned from the computer shop. He says the oddly tiled startup screen means the GPU is shot.
Unfortunately that is a pretty common issue with machines from a certain time period.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
i cant believe what just happened, just before I started responding to this post I tried again for safe mode and here it is. Asking for my password and the mouse and keyboard are not working, i will try to find a plugin board.
Sounds good. It takes some time sometimes ;)
Run the patches from there when you find a keyboard. Good luck.

Reactions: ronton3

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Did you ever try to run Messages in a new user?
After the first appearance of the iMessages issue following an OTA upgrade from 14.6.1, I did do a clean install of Sequoia 15.0 from USB onto formatted SSD and setup my iCloud user account from scratch. It wasn't a new iCloud account as such but it was a new user I suppose.
One thing that did become clearer is that Sequoia iCloud sign-in never requested a 2FA code until once right at the end of testing—and it still did not work.
Anyhow, it's moot now—there were several other small bugs with screen sharing, dock not appearing after boot and position of disk/folder icons on desktop as listed in previous post above that persuaded me it was better to go back to 14.7.1 (which is solid) until these issues get a little more sorted.

Reactions: amaze1499

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
An occasional Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi issue with Sequoia and the latest versions of Sonoma and my temporary solution. [Note: I'm pretty sure it depends on OCLP since the problem has never occurred before the latest version of Sonoma (maybe 14.5?...) / OCLP 1.5.0?...) and doesn't occur with Catalina which is installed in another internal SSD on the same iMac 14,2 late 2013 CPU i7 & GTX780M 4GB].

Issue unpredictably
a) after a long sleep (e.g., 12 hours or more), the wheel on the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad no longer works. There is no use tinkering with the Bluetooth system settings.
and/or
b) Wi-Fi becomes very slow and from 170 or 200 Mb/sec even drops to 10 Mb/sec. (Note: I have fiber Internet all the way inside the house and near the router I'm going 750 MB/sec, but the room where the iMac is located is a bit far away).

My SOLUTION to avoid restarting the Mac:
Open Activity Monitor and do a forced exit from the “bluetoothd” process and, if necessary, also from the “Wi-Fi” process. It always works.

I hope some Developer will guess if the problem can be understood and solved.
It may be that many people do not notice the problem because, perhaps, they have turned off the Mac or the sleep was not very long, etc.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
An occasional Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi issue with Sequoia and the latest versions of Sonoma and my temporary solution. [Note: I'm pretty sure it depends on OCLP since the problem has never occurred before the latest version of Sonoma (maybe 14.5?...) / OCLP 1.5.0?...) and doesn't occur with Catalina which is installed in another internal SSD on the same iMac 14,2 late 2013 CPU i7 & GTX780M 4GB].

Issue unpredictably
a) after a long sleep (e.g., 12 hours or more), the wheel on the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad no longer works. There is no use tinkering with the Bluetooth system settings.
and/or
b) Wi-Fi becomes very slow and from 170 or 200 Mb/sec even drops to 10 Mb/sec. (Note: I have fiber Internet all the way inside the house and near the router I'm going 750 MB/sec, but the room where the iMac is located is a bit far away).

My SOLUTION to avoid restarting the Mac:
Open Activity Monitor and do a forced exit from the “bluetoothd” process and, if necessary, also from the “Wi-Fi” process. It always works.

I hope some Developer will guess if the problem can be understood and solved.
It may be that many people do not notice the problem because, perhaps, they have turned off the Mac or the sleep was not very long, etc.
Did you by any chance check the logs at the timestamp?

Reactions: OKonnel

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
Did you by any chance check the logs at the timestamp?
Thank you for your reply, @amaze1499 . But which LOG should I seerification? The console has many of them and you get lost in them.... Especially since I am not a developer or computer technician, just an advanced nerd and a good geek.

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
MBP4,1 Early 2008, 17-inch running macOS 15.0 via OCLP 2.0.2n.

Reporting problem with Shut-down and Restart, not properly executed all the time. Have to then shut-off manually by holding the Power-key for 5 secs.

Reactions: olad

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Thank you for your reply, @amaze1499 . But which LOG should I seerification? The console has many of them and you get lost in them.... Especially since I am not a developer or computer technician, just an advanced nerd and a good geek.
I'd look/search for anything bluetoothd related in Console. Maybe it's an obvious error/entry.

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I have similar Internet infrastructure here. What I did to solve my wi-fi problems (low signal due to distance and intermittent drop from 5GHz to 2.4GHz), I bought an Ethernet flat cable (Cat 6, 100ft) and connected my main router with my MBP. I never had to remove root patching anymore, the 14GB of macOS updates download in less than 3 minutes.

Marfan-58

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
Lancashire, England
Just spent some time testing 15.0 on my iMac 14,2. Mostly working well but a few issues I've noticed.
The Sequoia dynamic wallpaper doesn't load (all the previous ones are ok), I just get a blue screen either dark or light. The Sequoia landscape wallpaper works fine.
Continuity camera with iPhone not working. Just a black screen when connected. I seem to remember this was an issue for a while with Sonoma.
Airplay receiver works for Music but not for video.
Normally I wouldn't move to the latest OS version until the .3 release. Certainly staying on Sonoma for the time being.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
The new Terminal command
Code:
sudo xprotect update
delivers the message "no update needed, already up to date"
although SilentKnight lists "XProtect 5273 should be 5275"
May I ask what that command actually does? Just a check? Or instead of SN?
is it not enough to run silent knight?

Steve Gosselin

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Quebec
I don't think it's caused by OCLP. Check this thread > Wifi Issue after update mac os Sequia in Macbook pro m2

hal90088

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2018
Anybody knows if this patch will be the definitive to solve google chrome issues in Mac Pro 6.1?

I find it very strange that this problem has not been resolved yet in the release of 2.0.2, especially knowing that there is a separate patch published since August 12th.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Success!!!! installed sequoia today on my 5,1 on a ssd sata. Didn't expect it to go this easy but it did, OCLP 2.0.1. I made the usb installer while booted in sonoma, after that was done i simply clicked on usb, clicked on the installer icon and picked the destination drive. Also note that im hardwired to the internet, i have no use for wifi or bluetooth, so im not checking if it works. I never installed a macos in that manner but here i am claiming victory!!!! Thank you devs.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Out of curiosity: Occasionally this MBP 2012 runs into a boot up issue where it shows a no entry sign during early boot stage which can be fixed by simply restarting. First time I saw this was after installing Sequoia public beta. As far as i know, patching the system with OCLP does create a new snapshot each time. However the issue persists.

Has anyone else seen this too and probably found a fix already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.