Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Neon Ball

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
So I'm having an odd issue with screen resolution on Sequoia. I have the MBPr late 2013, model 11,3. The default res has now changed to a lot lower 1440p, rather than 2560p. Changing it to the actual default 2560p makes it pretty much unusable, everything is tiny. The new 'default' 1440p is way too big. Included Screenshots of both for comparison.
Am I missing something or this a current bug with OCLP?
View attachment 2430066
That is how scaling works in Retina. When you select a resolution of 1440x900 in macOS, it means "looks like" 1440x900 in usable space but that is 2x scale of 2560x1600 giving you full real resolution with elements scaled to double. macOS always scales by default as the native resolution in 1x is definitely small.

You can go to "Advanced" and disable "Show resolutions as list" to get the normal Retina scaling menu, nevertheless it works the same.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
6, 1. My network shares no longer appear. Sometimes it will see my NAS but will not connect only started happening after upgrading to OCLP 2.0.2 was fine on 2.0.0. Safari broken as well. Will easily pull up Apple store pages, but anything else is a no go.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
5, 1. My network shares no longer appear. Sometimes it will see my NAS but will not connect only started happening after upgrading to OCLP 2.0.2 was fine on 2.0.0. Safari broken as well. Will easily pull up Apple store pages, but anything else is a no go.
Sequoia introduces Private IP Address. Try turning this off in your Wi-Fi or Ethernet config.

Reactions: roronl

stcm

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2020
Japan
Oh I see. Thanks your reply!!
BTW, How is detection the GPU your environment? GT120 (2 lane) is slowly...

View attachment 2430456
Self-reference.

[workaround]
First, disable all SIP in OCLP settings.
Uncheck all options except "APFS Trim" and build and boot.
(No longer stuck on boot.)
BTW, I tested it with 4 versions OCLP : 1.3, 1.4.3, 1.5 and 2.0.2, and they all worked properly.
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 18.49.14.png
I'm sorry for making a lot of noise.

Reactions: hvds

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Sequoia introduces Private IP Address. Try turning this off in your Wi-Fi or Ethernet config.
@Bigwaff I like your suggestion and @basslik should give it a try, but he reported that he doesn't experience the problem with OCLP 2.0.0 (only started with OCLP 2.0.2). Why would the combination of Private IP and OCLP 2.0.0 work, but not the combination of Private IP and OCLP 2.0.2?

EDIT: @basslik If experimenting with Wi-Fi Private IP (I think that @Bigwaff means setting the Private Wi-Fi address to "fixed"? Not sure) doesn't fix your issue, I did notice Network connectivity issues that were partially resolved (and sometimes re-broken) by subsequent Sequoia Betas. Others are experiencing Sequoia network issues as you may have seen in other forums. You may find help here.

EDIT2: One more thought - I have found in Sequoia that setting Ethernet to Inactive and then Active again (System Settings > Network > Ethernet > "Make Inactive" and then "Make Active") fixes connectivity issues that I have with Remote Desktop in Sequoia 15.1 Beta (24B5055e).

Last edited:

ffff14P

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
First time installing an unsupported OS on my MacBookPro13,2. I completely wiped my disk, reinstalled Monterey (last supported OS) and then upgraded to 15.0 using OCLP. The installation process went smoothly, no issues there.
However, when trying to sign in to iCloud I encountered several issues. Passwords were not syncing, also files in iCloud Drive weren't loading and Messages in the Cloud didn't turn on at all. Then I tried to open the Messages app, which completely crashed and resulted in the spinning beachball, and I had to force close it. Same thing happened with Contacts and Maps (iirc). Also some third party apps weren't working for me at all (WhatsApp and Creative Cloud).

Compared to you, @nekton1 , I did get a 2FA request, but I still think there might be some issues on the MacBookPros13 series with iCloud and Messages.

Ultimately decided to uninstall Sequoia and install Sonoma 14.7 instead. Running very smoothly and no issues besides some rare graphic issues (flickering icons and text) and my internal screen randomly turning black from time to time when connected to an external display.

After the first appearance of the iMessages issue following an OTA upgrade from 14.6.1, I did do a clean install of Sequoia 15.0 from USB onto formatted SSD and setup my iCloud user account from scratch. It wasn't a new iCloud account as such but it was a new user I suppose.
One thing that did become clearer is that Sequoia iCloud sign-in never requested a 2FA code until once right at the end of testing—and it still did not work.
Anyhow, it's moot now—there were several other small bugs with screen sharing, dock not appearing after boot and position of disk/folder icons on desktop as listed in previous post above that persuaded me it was better to go back to 14.7.1 (which is solid) until these issues get a little more sorted.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Last week I posted several times about not getting past the oddly tiled startup window on my 13.2 Imac with OCLP and Sequoia, many people tried (thank you) to help but nothing has worked. The local computer shop, who is not really a Mac guy, said the GPU was shot and that it was not worth repairing. Yesterday I received an Amazon renewed, 2021,24inch,M1,Imac (729.00) from New Jersey, I can hardly believe it got here so quickly. I still would like to get the 13.2 going again, the picture is of the opening screen that I can't get past. Can anyone confirm that this means the GPU is shot, if it isn't is there any way to use the new Mac to erase the 13.2 without being able to login.
IMG_1390.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Last week I posted several times about not getting past the oddly tiled startup window on my 13.2 Imac with OCLP and Sequoia, many people tried (thank you) to help but nothing has worked.
Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been asked / answered. What happens with your video when you run the last Apple-supported version of macOS (without OCLP)?

Can anyone confirm that this means the GPU is shot, if it isn't is there any way to use the new Mac to erase the 13.2 without being able to login.
EDIT: Am I missing something about the fact that you can't login to the old iMac? Are you able to boot from a macOS USB installer?

Last edited:
Reactions: ronton3

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been asked / answered. What happens with your video when you run the last Apple-supported version of macOS (without OCLP)?

EDIT: Am I missing something about the fact that you can't login to the old iMac? Are you able to boot from a macOS USB installer?
No, it boots then freezes about halfway. The tiled screen is the first screen after I push the start button, login starts then freezes. It will not enter recovery or safe mode. You can see the heavier white line near the bottom, sometimes it goes farther, about halfway. Sometimes the line starts nearer the logo.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
No, it boots then freezes about halfway. The tiled screen is the first screen after I push the start button, login starts then freezes. It will not enter recovery or safe mode. You can see the heavier white line near the bottom, sometimes it goes farther, about halfway. Sometimes the line starts nearer the logo.
Just to clarify ... you observe this behavior when you boot with a macOS USB installer using a macOS version that is still supported on your Mac (without OCLP-Generated Open Core EFI)?

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Just to clarify ... you observe this behavior when you boot with a macOS USB installer using a macOS version that is still supported on your Mac (without OCLP-Generated Open Core EFI)?
Yes I have a Catalina USB not made with OCLP and a Sequioa USB with OCLP, I have 2 partitions on the internal HD.

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
Is there a workaround or solution for the failure of proper execution of Shut-down and Restart? I am constantly experiencing this problem on MBP4,1 Early 2008, 17-inch, macOS 15.0, OCLP 2.0.2 release.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Is there a workaround or solution for the failure of proper execution of Shut-down and Restart? I am constantly experiencing this problem on MBP4,1 Early 2008, 17-inch, macOS 15.0, OCLP 2.0.2 release.
Does the issue persist when all peripherals have been disconnected from the logic board and the machine runs on ac power only? What are the results of the Apple Hardwaretest? Start and hold D key.

Or if you think its related to the 2.0.2 release, just roll back to the previous version that worked?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I tried checking on iCloud.com by using the 'Data Recovery->Restore Bookmarks' option at the bottom of the page, and there are no bookmarks archived in the last 30 days, hmm.
That needs to be reenabled. Open a new tab. Scroll down to the bottom of that tab. locate iCloud tabs and activate iCloud syncing. Dont ask me, why they put it there.

peppolone

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
Rome, Italy
That needs to be reenabled. Open a new tab. Scroll down to the bottom of that tab. locate iCloud tabs and activate iCloud syncing. Dont ask me, why they put it there.
A new tab of what, Safari? I've already disabled and re-enabled Safari sync multiple times in the iCloud options. I even get a screen saying that the information on this Mac will be uploaded and merged with the bookmarks on iCloud.com, but it's not working. I thought maybe it was iOS 18, so I tried adding a bookmark and deleting the bookmark.plist file to see what would sync, and indeed, nothing gets added.
I tried to understand, but it’s not my field. I suspect that maybe the problem is SafariBookmarksSyncAgent

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-02 alle 10.38.25.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-02 alle 10.38.25.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Last week I posted several times about not getting past the oddly tiled startup window on my 13.2 Imac with OCLP and Sequoia, many people tried (thank you) to help but nothing has worked. The local computer shop, who is not really a Mac guy, said the GPU was shot and that it was not worth repairing. Yesterday I received an Amazon renewed, 2021,24inch,M1,Imac (729.00) from New Jersey, I can hardly believe it got here so quickly. I still would like to get the 13.2 going again, the picture is of the opening screen that I can't get past. Can anyone confirm that this means the GPU is shot, if it isn't is there any way to use the new Mac to erase the 13.2 without being able to login. View attachment 2431172 View attachment 2431174
Same issue right after POST or when boot picker is displayed?
Same issue in target mode?
Same issue on an external screen?

If the gpu is broken you might need a logic board replacement, unless you fancy some soldering to swap the gpu for a working one. I'd check the external monitor first though.

Last edited:

phaser32

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2023
Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem with Sequoia. In the settings I set the "Desktop" option in the active corners at the bottom right. Previously with Ventura by activating it all the windows disappeared, this allowed me to see the desktop and interact with all the elements present and reactivating the function (by touching the left corner) all the previously opened windows reappeared correctly in their place.
What happens with Sequoia instead, by activating this function is that all the tabs remain in their place, you don't see the desktop obviously you can't interact with it. The only thing I noticed is that a light frame appears (which also appeared on Ventura to make it clear that the function was in use) but on Sequoia it obviously doesn't work.
Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Thanks to anyone who can give their contribution.
Alessandro

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
Does the issue persist when all peripherals have been disconnected from the logic board and the machine runs on ac power only? What are the results of the Apple Hardwaretest? Start and hold D key.

Or if you think its related to the 2.0.2 release, just roll back to the previous version that worked?
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I have no peripheral devices connected. Hardware test seems to not be implemented with my machine being from 2008, I suppose. The problem started immediately with the installation of macOS 15.0 and continued through all versions of OCLP 2.0x. At present, I resolve the matter, when Shut-down or Restart commands are hanging, so to speak, with pressing the ON/OFF button for 5 secs. Happens with AC plugged in and also when running on battery. Can you make any of it?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I have no peripheral devices connected. Hardware test seems to not be implemented with my machine being from 2008, I suppose. The problem started immediately with the installation of macOS 15.0 and continued through all versions of OCLP 2.0x. At present, I resolve the matter, when Shut-down or Restart commands are hanging, so to speak, with pressing the ON/OFF button for 5 secs. Happens with AC plugged in and also when running on battery. Can you make any of it?

While it's certainly possible this could be OCLP related issue, make sure you can exclude hardware as a source of error first.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest AHT 3A135

SMC/NVRAM reset was done? Disconnect/remove the internal battery and run AC only to reproduce. That MBP does not have a CMOS battery on board, so that should do the trick.

Lastly, consider reapplying the previous OCLP version where the issue hadn't occurred yet.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Same issue right after POST or when boot picker is displayed?
Same issue in target mode?
Same issue on an external screen?

If the gpu is broken you might need a logic board replacement, unless you fancy some soldering to swap the gpu for a working one. I'd check the external monitor first though.
When I push the start button the tiled screen is first, then the picker, then the logo and progress bar which always freezes. When I push the T key at startup, first the tiled screen and then the Arrow which only moves around the screen. I have never used an external screen.

I do have an older display from that era and I see an adapter is only around 10.00, but would I need to be logged in to use it, and if it came up with tiles would that mean the GPU is shot.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.