Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Ok. While we're being clear, I never roll-back OCLP patches. I perform a clean installation of macOS, migrate data/apps/settings to the new macOS and then apply post-install patches.

EDIT: In fact, it's simpler than I stated: I choose the option to migrate as part of the clean macOS installation. The macOS installer performs migration as the last step of the macOS install. Then I apply OCLP patches. Not suggesting that this is the only correct way to do this.
See MrMcIntosh:

Bmld

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2022
Hello, I installed OCPL 2.0.1/Sequoia on an Imac 11.2/4Go/SSD 500Go, clean install. Everything works : screen, wifi . I tested some apps without problem but after about 2 hours, it is impossible to open an app : jump from the icon and 'the app doesn't answer'. The app open woks correctly. Do you know this issue, have an info? Thank

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Hello, I installed OCPL 2.0.1/Sequoia on an Imac 11.2/4Go/SSD 500Go, clean install. Everything works : screen, wifi . I tested some apps without problem but after about 2 hours, it is impossible to open an app : jump from the icon and 'the app doesn't answer'. The app open woks correctly. Do you know this issue, have an info? Thank
Did you installed to external SSD?

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Could it be because of this? I'm suspicious of your method that keeps apps on their own volume while sharing them between multiple versions of macOS.

Kazenofab68

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
Does the camera work when booted from a good known system at this time?

AHT: Apple Hardware Test. Usually booted into by holding D key right after start up.

Check in your system report/ USB bus whether the camera is connected at all.
Thank you for your help, Message + There maybe an issue with the camera Reference code : NDC001
thank you

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Thank you for your help, Message + There maybe an issue with the camera Reference code : NDC001
thank you
This error refers to a faulty connection to the logic board. Usually you would try to reseat the connector. What’s the display recently swapped on this machine?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
You've discovered one of my pet peeves ... a video that stretches a 5-bullet-point explanation into a 20 minute video. 😂
To be fair to Mr Mac, that video is about using TM to roll-back an unsupported Mac with OCLP on it to a previous version of macOS. You might want to watch it.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
im on OCLP 2.1.0 nightly on my late 2015 iMac 16,2 and my late 2014 Mac mini and on both OCLP 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 nightly using Sequoia 15.1 beta 5, some of the desktop widgets are wonky. they will eventually load, for the most part, but stocks won't and Fantastical Calendar app is missing data. after 10 mins, the stocks app populated some data but not all. ForecastBar widget eventually loads just fine.

on beta 4, I think they were working fine. so I think this is a beta 5 specific issue.

cx1YGcql.png

X72hb1Dl.png
KdsCOx9l.png

346VaIFl.png

battery widgets appear, but displaying the percentages is spordatic and keep disappearing.

EDIT: seems like the stock widget is working fine on my 2014 Mac mini but not the iMac. ill try rebooting again.

Latest nightly has fixed this issue for me seems alot better on 15.1 now another quick fix by Devs and not released yet.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
I updated to the 15.1 beta 5 update to see if it fixed the iMessages problem. The MBP 13,3 starts OK and everything except iMessages seems ok. But now Messages won't even launch and hangs immediately. If I look at icloud in System Settings, it shows the iMessages is synced and a time.
There is also a small bug to do with Dock. Sometimes, it does not display until Automatically hide and show the Dock in Desktop & Dock is toggled on and off.
Downloaded the latest nightly (2.1.0 date 2024-09-23T11:09:23-06:00), installed to 13,3 SSD internal EFI, reverted the root patch, restarted with NVRAM reset, root-patched and restarted. Switched Message back on in System Settings - iCloud where it now shows 3 GB of data, set Use on this Mac to ON. Clicked Sync now at Status and has been showing Syncing with iCloud for last 30 minutes. Launched Messages and it hung immediately. Still pooched & giving up for today.

Reactions: rehkram

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Jumped from b4 to b5 with no issues. Downloading the full installer and running it from /Applications seems to work best for me so that's gonna be my MO going forward.
Can you see any AI bits being active despite it's officially not supported on that platform?

Reactions: rehkram

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
27Imac13.2, late 2012/Sequoia, latest Oclp options.
I am sending from Ipad. Last night I put the IMac to sleep, a few hours later the black screen would not change so I shut down restarted, got the message about shutting down because of a problem, and the screen was very odd. A series of about 40 half inch columns covering the entire screen with the logo visible but somewhat obscured, sorry I can’t figure out how to include a photo on the iPad. It freezes in whatever mode I try to restart including recovery, in hardware test there is a little message at the top about EFI and that’s it. I have reset hvram. It boots about halfway on the logo bar,
but the columns are always there. It had been working great with the last beta .5.

Any ideas, could it be a hardware issue, I have never seen that screen before.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
27Imac13.2, late 2012/Sequoia, latest Oclp options.
I am sending from Ipad. Last night I put the IMac to sleep, a few hours later the black screen would not change so I shut down restarted, got the message about shutting down because of a problem, and the screen was very odd. A series of about 40 half inch columns covering the entire screen with the logo visible but somewhat obscured, sorry I can’t figure out how to include a photo on the iPad. It freezes in whatever mode I try to restart including recovery, in hardware test there is a little message at the top about EFI and that’s it. I have reset hvram. It boots about halfway on the logo bar,
but the columns are always there. It had been working great with the last beta .5.

Any ideas, could it be a hardware issue, I have never seen that screen before.
It happens now and then. I see this behaviour on my machine occasionally. If a simple reboot wont solve the issue, reboot in safe mode: Wait for POST sound. Select boot volume using the picker. Hold Shift and press Enter. At login screen reboot normally.

If the issue is not solved in normal boot, repeat the same procedure and reapply patches using the latest version of OCLP available.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
My Mac Pro 5,1 is currently running Sonoma (via OCLP 2.0.1). One of the Parallels Desktop virtual machines I regularly run is a Monterey VM. I've thought of the possibility of upgrading said VM to Sequoia. Naturally, that would require that OCLP be installed on the VM itself. Would that work? Specifically, would such a machine, if bootable at all, have graphics accelaration on the Parallels virtual GPU?

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
It happens now and then. I see this behaviour on my machine occasionally. If a simple reboot wont solve the issue, reboot in safe mode: Wait for POST sound. Select boot volume using the picker. Hold Shift and press Enter. At login screen reboot normally.

If the issue is not solved in normal boot, repeat the same procedure and reapply patches using the latest version of OCLP available.
I tried as you described, unfortunately safe mode still freezes about halfway across the bar.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
My Mac Pro 5,1 is currently running Sonoma (via OCLP 2.0.1). One of the Parallels Desktop virtual machines I regularly run is a Monterey VM. I've thought of the possibility of upgrading said VM to Sequoia. Naturally, that would require that OCLP be installed on the VM itself. Would that work? Specifically, would such a machine, if bootable at all, have graphics accelaration on the Parallels virtual GPU?
I can't speak specifically to your setup. However, when I ran Sonoma in VMWare Fusion on an iMac 17,1, the VM didn't need to be patched, only the host needed patching for anything above Monterey. Also, the ParaVirtualization worked fine in the Sonoma VM. See if you can install macOS in Parallels without OCLP. If you can, and it works as expected then you'll have as close to a native install as possible for your setup.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I can't speak specifically to your setup. However, when I ran Sonoma in VMWare Fusion on an iMac 17,1, the VM didn't need to be patched, only the host needed patching for anything above Monterey. Also, the ParaVirtualization worked fine in the Sonoma VM. See if you can install macOS in Parallels without OCLP. If you can, and it works as expected then you'll have as close to a native install as possible for your setup.
The problem, I think, is that the iMac 17,1 is AVX-compliant, whereas the Mac Pro 5,1 isn't. This means there's no chance that Parallels Desktop will run an unpatched version of Ventura/Sonoma/Sequoia virtual machine on a physical processor that doesn't support AVX2.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Can you see any AI bits being active despite it's officially not supported on that platform?
Nothing overt at this point. 15.1 b4 and above are, as you probably know, now merged with the 15.0 non-AI branch so the same 15.1 b4 and above code can run on Intel as well as Apple Silicon, but with no AI elements enabled. That seems to be what's happening.

As a matter of professional interest I would love to know how the Apple devs achieved this feat of switching AI on for some Macs and not for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.