Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of macOS 14.5 RC - 2.png

Release Date ― September 16, 2024
Build Number ― 24A335
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 11881.1.1
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 2069.0.0.0.0 (iBridge: 22.16.10353.5.1,0)

New Features & Changes (Found something new? Please press "Edit" on the bottom of this post and add it here)
Resolved Issues
New Issues

• ***WARNING*** Potential System Extension errors following upgrade to RC1. Multiple reports. See the comment section.
(If you are encountering any issues, please press "Edit" on the bottom of this post and add it here)

Remaining Issues

• Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0

Untested Issues
Additional Notes

• Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 15 Sequoia will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 15 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 15, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: Intel 2020, M1, M2, M3
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/M1 Max, M2, M2 Pro/M2 Max, M3/M3 Pro/M3 Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1, M3
    • Mac Pro: 2019, M2 Ultra
    • Mac Studio: M1 Max/Ultra, M2 Max/Ultra
  • macOS Sonoma 15.0 Beta Release Notes
  • macOS Sequoia Preview
  • macOS 15 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of macOS 14.5 RC.png
    Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of macOS 14.5 RC.png
    443.9 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
RC installed from the previous beta and now stuck in a System extension error loop on startup.

1725919384086.png

When going in to System preferences.. Privacy and Security says "Some system software requires your attention before it can be used". Sure. Click Details... (extensions as shown below, notice sliders are blue, but controls are disabled) then click OK (which is all I can do).

1725919040180.png

Prompted for and provide security credentials. Rebuilding system extension cache message shown. Reboot. Then the same initial message again on startup and an infinite loop that ain't in Cupertino.

I get it's beta, but I really wasn't expecting issues like this so late in the day 👎

UPDATE: Tried to go into Recovery Mode to reinstall Sequoia to hopefully reset the system extension cache and can't even do that. Important content can't be downloaded at this time. Hilarious! 🤣

1725921413648.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Solver and Spankey

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
RC installed from the previous beta and now stuck in a System extension error loop on startup.

View attachment 2414757

When going in to System preferences.. Privacy and Security says "Some system software requires your attention before it can be used". Sure. Click Details... (extensions as shown below, notice sliders are blue, but controls are disabled) then click OK (which is all I can do).

View attachment 2414754

Prompted for and provide security credentials. Rebuilding system extension cache message shown. Reboot. Then the same initial message again on startup and an infinite loop that ain't in Cupertino.

I get it's beta, but I really wasn't expecting issues like this so late in the day 👎

UPDATE: Tried to go into Recovery Mode to reinstall Sequoia to hopefully reset the system extension cache and can't even do that. Important content can't be downloaded at this time. Hilarious! 🤣

View attachment 2414782
I have the same issue. I've tried everything I know with kmutil and kextcache commands and can't seem to fix it. I hope it's an Apple issue that they fix for either a RC2 or public release.

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
I have the same issue. I've tried everything I know with kmutil and kextcache commands and can't seem to fix it. I hope it's an Apple issue that they fix for either a RC2 or public release.
Me too, using csrutil disable in recovery mode, trying to nuke the extensions manually, the works.

I imagine the RC will get quietly pulled and replaced.

The reason that I can't do a recovery installation is that Apple haven't put the RC up:

1725925039953.png

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
Me too, using csrutil disable in recovery mode, trying to nuke the extensions manually, the works.

I imagine the RC will get quietly pulled and replaced.

The reason that I can't do a recovery installation is that Apple haven't put the RC up:
I can't disable SIP on my machine for whatever reason. When I go into the Recovery->Terminal, running csrutil disable gives me a failed error w/Recovery partition (something like that) message so I can't disable SIP.

I'll wait for Apple to update the recovery installation and try to re-install it. Otherwise, I think I have to wait.

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
I can't disable SIP on my machine for whatever reason. When I go into the Recovery->Terminal, running csrutil disable gives me a failed error w/Recovery partition (something like that) message so I can't disable SIP.

I'll wait for Apple to update the recovery installation and try to re-install it. Otherwise, I think I have to wait.
Yeah, I'm a big fan, but it hasn't been a marquee day for Apple in my books. That Glowtime event and then shipping an RC that is broken.

The problem you get when engineering is driven by marketing dates 🤣

Reactions: gwang73

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Using an M1 MacBook, I also get a “System extension error” loop with some updated Apple and Samsung extensions. Things seem to mostly work. I can change the startup security settings, but when attempting to disable or clear the SIP with crtutil, it gives the error message, “Failed to update security configuration for "Macintosh HD: Failed to create paired recovery local policy.”

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Using an M1 MacBook, I also get a “System extension error” loop with some updated Apple and Samsung extensions. Things seem to mostly work. I can change the startup security settings, but when attempting to disable or clear the SIP with crtutil, it gives the error message, “Failed to update security configuration for "Macintosh HD: Failed to create paired recovery local policy.”
Yep. Welcome to the club! We are all twiddling thumbs until Apple pulls their finger out and provides a new RC or update.

We've all been burnt by the Beta at the last hurdle 🔥🔥🔥

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
That's the exact message I get when I try to disable SIP using csrutil, but @cptcaveman said it didn't work anyway to fix this issue. I think we need to wait until they release their RC build in softwareupdate or maybe an RC2 later this week.

stinksroundhere

Suspended
May 10, 2024
Animated screensaver sometimes doesn't animate on sleep and sometimes the Macintosh classic one returns to garish green after I set it to grey.

SoYoung

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2015
I just installed the RC on my intel 2020 iMac. So far it runs flawlessly. iPhone mirroring is awesome, but I thought that drag and drop for files would work but it seems I can't do that. So, is this feature planned in the future ?

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
The system extension issue seems to have blocked using Apple Pay on my Mac since I can't clear it.

The RC is still not released on their update server. I think (hope) we get a RC2 release soon.

Reactions: cptcaveman

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
The system extension issue seems to have blocked using Apple Pay on my Mac since I can't clear it.

The RC is still not released on their update server. I think (hope) we get a RC2 release soon.
There are a bunch of other issues, apparently. Many can't even install it. My guess is that Apple is aware of this and is scrambling to get another release together.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
There are a bunch of other issues, apparently. Many can't even install it. My guess is that Apple is aware of this and is scrambling to get another release together.

I saw that thread this morning and thought maybe Apple pulled the update but it's still on the developer site, so kinda weird.

Someone also thought it may not be the build but their backend servers that handles security updates.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
That's the exact message I get when I try to disable SIP using csrutil, but @cptcaveman said it didn't work anyway to fix this issue. I think we need to wait until they release their RC build in softwareupdate or maybe an RC2 later this week.
Maybe you can just downgrade to the beta before by just installing it over the RC. It should work, because it's the same version or update to 15.1 Beta.

There is still no full installer for 15.1 and my Recovery got stuck on some 15.0 beta from the time I switched to 15.1. I can't use it for Recovery, but disabling SIP is working.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
Maybe you can just downgrade to the beta before by just installing it over the RC. It should work, because it's the same version or update to 15.1 Beta.

There is still no full installer for 15.1 and my Recovery got stuck on some 15.0 beta from the time I switched to 15.1. I can't use it for Recovery, but disabling SIP is working.

I did consider updating to 15.1b3 but decided to wait it out. I don't need to disable SIP. Was just trying to work around the system extension issue.

I also don't have another Mac to use the full installer so my choices are wait it out or move up to 15.1.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
I did consider updating to 15.1b3 but decided to wait it out. I don't need to disable SIP. Was just trying to work around the system extension issue.

I also don't have another Mac to use the full installer so my choices are wait it out or move up to 15.1.

I experienced this "loop" a few times after beta updates of 15.0 and maybe also 15.1, but it always stopped after the second reboot I think.

I have always disabled SIP and set those "Boot Security settings" to the lowest option available where Kernel Extensions are allowed to be installed even remotely.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024

The full installer for Beta 8 to downgrade can be downloaded from the AppStore if you just search for Sequoia or directly from Apple. So you don't need a second Mac.

But I think you meant reinstalling the RC with the Firmware file. I don't know if that even would help.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
The full installer for Beta 8 to downgrade can be downloaded from the AppStore if you just search for Sequoia or directly from Apple. So you don't need a second Mac.

But I think you meant reinstalling the RC with the Firmware file. I don't know if that even would help.

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a couple more days and then may take the plunge and downgrade back to b8. I can't see Apple releasing this RC to the general public but who knows these days.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
So I took the plunge and installed 15.0 b8 from the App Store and no issues there. However, it didn't fix the system extension issue as the kext file in question is /Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext and cannot be deleted or modified. I couldn't even restore the old version from TimeMachine.

I still can't disable SIP or switch back to Full Security in the Recovery Security Settings. I dug a little deeper and at least for Full Security, it needs to contact Apple's servers to "personalize" it to my machine and that's when it errors.

For those of us experiencing this issue, I now believe it's Apple's backend that has the issue and there's nothing you can personally do locally on the machine itself. Not sure why some people are experiencing the issue and some others are not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release an RC2 tomorrow or Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.