Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
If I'd read this thread, I probably wouldn't have installed 15.0 RC.

But I didn't read it, and I did install the RC. Thankfully, the installation was smooth and everything has been running great for me.

But lots of folks are having problems, I hope Apple releases a RC2 that fixes these issues.

Reactions: cptcaveman

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
If I'd read this thread, I probably wouldn't have installed 15.0 RC.

But I didn't read it, and I did install the RC. Thankfully, the installation was smooth and everything has been running great for me.

But lots of folks are having problems, I hope Apple releases a RC2 that fixes these issues.
Congratulations on winning the RC lottery! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: roncron

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
does the RC upgraded smoothly to Release or is it best to format and reinstall on final release?

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
does the RC upgraded smoothly to Release or is it best to format and reinstall on final release?
Not to say that there aren't issues, but I've only once had a borked update since 2008 where I had to DFU restore from Time Machine. I think it's a waste of time to format to update unless you run into an issue. Always have a backup available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorfdad

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
I have upgraded my 2017 iMac Pro from Sonoma to the Sequoia RC and have just noticed that I'm not getting any 4K option for YouTube videos in Safari. The maximum resolution being offered is 1080p HD. According to stats for nerds it's using avc1 codec whereas before the upgrade it was using vp09 codec and 4K was working fine.

4K is still working OK in Chrome and Firefox (using vp09) - just missing in Safari.

Anybody else seeing this or know what the solution might be?

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I have upgraded my 2017 iMac Pro from Sonoma to the Sequoia RC and have just noticed that I'm not getting any 4K option for YouTube videos in Safari. The maximum resolution being offered is 1080p HD. According to stats for nerds it's using avc1 codec whereas before the upgrade it was using vp09 codec and 4K was working fine.

4K is still working OK in Chrome and Firefox (using vp09) - just missing in Safari.

Anybody else seeing this or know what the solution might be?
I do get YT 4K and HDR in Safari on my 2021 M1 MBP but I use the Stop the Madness extension to force highest quality.

In Settings-->Feature Flags, search for 'codec' and try toggling some of the WebRTC/WebCodecs settings and see if it starts working.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
So I took the plunge and installed 15.0 b8 from the App Store and no issues there. However, it didn't fix the system extension issue as the kext file in question is /Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext and cannot be deleted or modified. I couldn't even restore the old version from TimeMachine.

I still can't disable SIP or switch back to Full Security in the Recovery Security Settings. I dug a little deeper and at least for Full Security, it needs to contact Apple's servers to "personalize" it to my machine and that's when it errors.

For those of us experiencing this issue, I now believe it's Apple's backend that has the issue and there's nothing you can personally do locally on the machine itself. Not sure why some people are experiencing the issue and some others are not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release an RC2 tomorrow or Friday.

Do you know what this extension is for?

I don't even have it on my Mac. Maybe because my iMac isn't mobile... But I thought this wording is used for iPhones and iPads by Apple.

I can delete everything in that folder. Could be because SIP is disabled. Do you know how to get into the root account? Maybe you can delete it there. Or with a sudo command in the Terminal. Not sure if that would be the same.

cptcaveman

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
So I took the plunge and installed 15.0 b8 from the App Store and no issues there. However, it didn't fix the system extension issue as the kext file in question is /Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext and cannot be deleted or modified. I couldn't even restore the old version from TimeMachine.

I still can't disable SIP or switch back to Full Security in the Recovery Security Settings. I dug a little deeper and at least for Full Security, it needs to contact Apple's servers to "personalize" it to my machine and that's when it errors.

For those of us experiencing this issue, I now believe it's Apple's backend that has the issue and there's nothing you can personally do locally on the machine itself. Not sure why some people are experiencing the issue and some others are not.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release an RC2 tomorrow or Friday.
So dude, I fixed my error. It seems like my Sony kext (that was shown in my screenshot) was somehow blocking the Apple kext.

What I did:

1) Put the Sony kext which was in /Library/Extensions in the bin.
2) Rebooted.
3) No System extensions error on reboot!
4) Then into System Settings, Privacy and Security
5) Under security the Apple extension was now showing as Updated.
6) I clicked the Allow button next to it.
7) Prompted for and provided credentials. Reboot.
8) On reboot everything is hunky dory!

Maybe you have a 3rd party extension causing the same type of issue? I hope this helps champ!

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
Do you know what this extension is for?

I don't even have it on my Mac. Maybe because my iMac isn't mobile... But I thought this wording is used for iPhones and iPads by Apple.

I can delete everything in that folder. Could be because SIP is disabled. Do you know how to get into the root account? Maybe you can delete it there. Or with a sudo command in the Terminal. Not sure if that would be the same.
I don't know what these are for. I have 2 AppleMobileDevice.kext files on my machine. One in /Library/Extensions dated Aug 21, 2019 version 4.0 and another one in /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions dated Aug 27, 2024 version 4.0.

Can't do anything with these as I can't disable SIP until I can update using the full installer, which Apple hasn't pushed out yet.

So dude, I fixed my error. It seems like my Sony kext (that was shown in my screenshot) was somehow blocking the Apple kext.

What I did:

1) Put the Sony kext which was in /Library/Extensions in the bin.
2) Rebooted.
3) No System extensions error on reboot!
4) Then into System Settings, Privacy and Security
5) Under security the Apple extension was now showing as Updated.
6) I clicked the Allow button next to it.
7) Prompted for and provided credentials. Reboot.
8) On reboot everything is hunky dory!

Maybe you have a 3rd party extension causing the same type of issue? I hope this helps champ!
That's awesome! I'm happy you were able to figure it out.

Can you do me a favor and let me know what files you have in /Library/Extensions? If you have AppleMobileDevice.kext in this folder, can you let me know the date and version number?

The only extensions I have in this folder are:
AppleMobileDevice.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext

I was able to remove both HighPoint files into the Trash but that didn't solve the error issue.

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
I do get YT 4K and HDR in Safari on my 2021 M1 MBP but I use the Stop the Madness extension to force highest quality.

In Settings-->Feature Flags, search for 'codec' and try toggling some of the WebRTC/WebCodecs settings and see if it starts working.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried toggling those and it makes no difference. I've now upgraded my M1 MacBook Pro and, like you, YT 4K is working in Safari. I think it's either an Intel thing or (more likely) an issue with the Radeon card in the iMac Pro.

I'm not desperately concerned because I'll be getting an M4-based Mac in the next few months, anyway.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
Can you do me a favor and let me know what files you have in /Library/Extensions? If you have AppleMobileDevice.kext in this folder, can you let me know the date and version number?

The only extensions I have in this folder are:
AppleMobileDevice.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext

I was able to remove both HighPoint files into the Trash but that didn't solve the error issue.

I know you didn't ask me, but my folder looks like that (15.1 Beta 3):

Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 02.48.23.png

And this is in the other folder you mentioned:

Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 02.52.17.png

Last edited:

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
Much appreciated, that helps. I can nuke that old AppleMobileDevice kext file after I restore with the full installer, hopefully Monday when it releases.
Did you already try to delete it in Terminal with "cd /Library/Extensions" and next "sudo rm AppleMobileDevice.kext" or only in Finder?

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
Did you already try to delete it in Terminal with "cd /Library/Extensions" and next "sudo rm AppleMobileDevice.kext" or only in Finder?

Yeah, Terminal and also tried Terminal in Recovery mode as root. It remains system protected and can't disable SIP until Apple releases the full installer.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
Yeah, Terminal and also tried Terminal in Recovery mode as root. It remains system protected and can't disable SIP until Apple releases the full installer.
I am also waiting for a 15.1 full installer. It's really annoying.

Here is a good oversight if one is available, without logging in to a Dev. account or search in the AppStore:

Anubis777

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
Sequoia 15.0 RC: I do not see in System Settings any beta developer 15.1 betas. Is it correct?

julsssark

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
No problems with my update to the RC. MacBook Pro M2. No 3rd party extensions in the two library folders discussed previously.

Macintosh1984

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Mine is transparent with blur. They removed the menubar color setting (I think starting in Sonoma?) and it's tied to the global reduced transparency setting in accessibilities.
I confirm! Then I was wrong, simply with the original Sonoma background, which had the light sky, the transparency with blur seemed simple transparency, instead it is always transparency with blur, now that I have the forest background, the menu bar is very dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.