Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Try rebooting your Mac if you haven't already. They just loaded up randomly for me, so I'm not sure if a reboot simply solves it, or if apple's servers update the list in real time.
...And just like that...this morning they're all there—although so far the ones I've tried aren't moving.

UPDATE: And about an hour later, they're moving. Really gorgeous.

Last edited:

CPark98

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2016
The Sonoma Aerial Screensaver is now the default wallpaper when you setup a brand new mac running Sonoma, replacing the Sonoma Abstract Wallpaper. Here's the setup process for a new mac on Dev Beta 7.

Reactions: Platskies

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Is anyone getting a similar report when trying to edit Widgets? I mean it's instant, click on "Edit" and it crashes. What's puzzling is it's pointing to Safari Technology when it's not running. I've disabled all the extensions, absolutely no difference.

Crash Report.jpg
iMac19,1
Beta 7 build (23A5337a)

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Is anyone getting a similar report when trying to edit Widgets? I mean it's instant, click on "Edit" and it crashes. What's puzzling is it's pointing to Safari Technology when it's not running. I've disabled all the extensions, absolutely no difference.

View attachment 2253328
iMac19,1
Beta 7 build (23A5337a)
Yes, I'm getting that crash report when I log in and then whenever I try editing any widgets.

Reactions: Luckygreek

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Widgets crashing though, that's another animal all together. It's been a persistent issue for quite some time, we'll eventually get there, just not quite yet.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK

View attachment 2253328
iMac19,1
Beta 7 build (23A5337a)
Same happened to me. I uninstalled Safari Technology Preview and it fixed the issue (though not really a fix per se, I didn't use Safari Technology Preview so it didn't impact me that much)

I think it's the Safari Reading List widget not playing nicely with Safari Technology Preview when it's installed.

Reactions: Luckygreek

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The Sonoma Aerial Screensaver is now the default wallpaper when you setup a brand new mac running Sonoma, replacing the Sonoma Abstract Wallpaper. Here's the setup process for a new mac on Dev Beta 7.
View attachment 2253272
Can’t say I like it much. Looks kinda amateurish/less sleek compared to the landscape desktop pictures of previous macOS versions.

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Same happened to me. I uninstalled Safari Technology Preview and it fixed the issue (though not really a fix per se, I didn't use Safari Technology Preview so it didn't impact me that much)

I think it's the Safari Reading List widget not playing nicely with Safari Technology Preview when it's installed.
I did that as well, uninstalled Safari Technology, and I can "edit" widgets, as you said, "not really a fix per se".
I like Safari Technology as it really limits ads on most sites and seems a little quicker to load pages.
It's pinned at the bottom of my screen, I can access them all, its just a "different look"

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 16.04.50.jpg

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Literally a tiny small thing, but for many years now, when opening the Apple menu and pressing alt/option, "About This Mac" changes to "System Information..." In the latest beta of Sonoma, the ellipsis has been removed and it now reads as simply "System Information". I know it's a very small thing, but it's interesting.

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.22.54 AM.png

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
In the latest beta of Sonoma, the ellipsis has been removed and it now reads as simply "System Information".

interesting info. so they corrected it (although i wasn't even aware of this System Information menu by holding Option). this menu (just like About Mac) doesn't require the ellipsis.

i now also see that on Sonoma they removed the ellipsis from the App Store menu (which is also correct). on Ventura Apple Store… does have ellipsis (which is wrong). now they also should remove ellipsis from System Settings…

mochascript

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
Shot-000161.gif
Shot-000160.gif

It's a really little thing but I liked it.

Changing keyboard language in the text area gives the app's accent color LOL. The right one is from the WhatsApp macOS app, left one is from MacRumors.

One more thing, there are emoji suggestions. Just try it to open the emoji box when you're typing.

Shot-000163@2x.png

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Reactions: mochascript

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Literally a tiny small thing, but for many years now, when opening the Apple menu and pressing alt/option, "About This Mac" changes to "System Information..." In the latest beta of Sonoma, the ellipsis has been removed and it now reads as simply "System Information". I know it's a very small thing, but it's interesting.

View attachment 2256129

Interesting, I never noticed System Settings had an ellipsis menu. Why?

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
There will be a Music widget coming to the Mac later this year!

Where did you read this? I'd be surprised given how Music on Mac is basically iTunes and doesn't really integrate with anything else (the whole AirPlay playback situation for example, why can't I see/coontrol what's playing on my Mac from my phone?)

Reactions: insomniac86

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
interesting info. so they corrected it (although i wasn't even aware of this System Information menu by holding Option). this menu (just like About Mac) doesn't require the ellipsis.

i now also see that on Sonoma they removed the ellipsis from the App Store menu (which is also correct). on Ventura Apple Store… does have ellipsis (which is wrong). now they also should remove ellipsis from System Settings…

They might treat the System Settings menu item as a special case, because it is functionally similar to the Preferences/Settings menu items which always have an ellipsis. At least in older versions of the Human Interface Guidelines, Apple said that the Preferences/Settings menu item should have an ellipsis, because it opens a window where the user can perform the action (broadly, viewing and changing the settings).

I don't think the ellipsis in the System Information or App Store menu items was "wrong", at least according to the Human Interface Guidelines in the past. These items open another app and switch to it, which is different from opening a panel that floats on top without switching apps (e.g. the About This Mac panel). That said, in this specific instance, the user should expect that the  menu item can perform an action outside of the app, plus I don't think users necessarily understood the difference between opening the System Information app (i.e. a window of a different app) and About This Mac (a panel of unknown origin). I do welcome the change though.

Reactions: jchap

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
It does integrate, example:

View attachment 2260916

This is the source of information – New features available with macOS Sonoma

Thanks for the source.

Sorry what I was meaning was when you go to "Control other speakers and TVs" on any iOS device, you can control an iPhone, iPad, Watch, TV but the Mac seems to exist separately to these as Music is essentially iTunes. I had assumed for this reason they wouldn't be providing a widget but pleased they are.

Really it would be good to get Music onto the same codebase as iOS Music and also finally throw in Handoff while they're at it

Pinchas770

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
san diego
The new autocorrect seems to include automatic language switching if you have more than one keyboard set-up! No constantly switching languages anymore yeah! :D
i have a question, did u find that when u type into spotlight or a text field you get another text field that pops up? I can't figure out how to get it to go away

Attachments

• IMG_7913.jpeg
    IMG_7913.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 103

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i have a question, did u find that when u type into spotlight or a text field you get another text field that pops up? I can't figure out how to get it to go away
odd. the little one on the left is correct. have you rebooted? but wondering if something is set to do that... or a 3rd-party app is causing that extra window. never seen an apple spotlight window like that.

EDIT: no need to post twice! i see you got an answer in the seperate thread you started... 👍

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
They might treat the System Settings menu item as a special case, because it is functionally similar to the Preferences/Settings menu items which always have an ellipsis. At least in older versions of the Human Interface Guidelines, Apple said that the Preferences/Settings menu item should have an ellipsis, because it opens a window where the user can perform the action (broadly, viewing and changing the settings).

Yes, I agree that the various Preferences/Settings menus are probably now a special case (while they weren't when the original HIG were introduced).

To expand on this:

Many years ago, I was explained that pretty much the only legitimate use of ellipsis is when the menu opens a modal dialog (although I don't know what the exact wording was in the guidelines back then).

The main point regarding the ellipsis in the current guidelines (https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/menus) is the following:

Append an ellipsis to a menu item’s label when people need to provide additional information before the action can complete.

Modal dialog is basically the only case when users must do something before the action can complete (that is, they must dismiss the dialog in order to proceed).

Back in the day it applied to the Preferences window in pretty much all apps - as the Preferences window was always modal. So it had to be dismissed via the OK/Cancel buttons to write (or dismiss) the changes. At some point Cocoa bindings were introduced, which eliminated the need to explicitly dismiss the dialog anymore - any changes to preferences were registered automatically and instantly as they're made. Obviously, not all apps are employing the bindings so the Preferences window in many apps is still modal.

I assume that, like you mentioned, the Preferences/Settings menu is now a special case and always requires ellipsis for consistency sake.

In all other cases, that is when the menu doesn't open a modal dialog, users basically don't really have to take any action after opening a window, panel, or another app. Users can proceed to do whatever they need without doing anything before the action can complete.

Reactions: jchap

Pinchas770

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
san diego
odd. the little one on the left is correct. have you rebooted? but wondering if something is set to do that... or a 3rd-party app is causing that extra window. never seen an apple spotlight window like that.

EDIT: no need to post twice! i see you got an answer in the seperate thread you started... 👍
yes I am brand new, the issue was hover text was enabled, thanks to hg.wells it is fixed. thankks for your time, all the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.