Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
Sharing music libraries doesn't seem to be available in PB1 (11.0 Beta 20A5343j). The down arrow for selecting libraries stored on other Macs for example is missing immediately to the right of Apple Music>Library in the left navigation pane.

FIXED: Interestingly the down arrow just mysteriously showed up in the Music UI approx 13 hours after installing PB1. I'm happy to report it works. My shared library from another iMac is visible from my Big Sur iMac now and functions. I've reported the delay however to Apple.

Last edited:

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
oh, lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 23.52.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 23.52.25.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 302

sinbad21

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
France
It seems to me that the battery drain is much more important with Big Sur than Mojave, on my MBP. Maybe due to transparency effects. Can you pay attention to consumption with your own Mac portable ?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The glitch where a song doesn't start after double-clicking still isn't fixed in the most recent beta update, at least on my system. How did Apple screw this up?
I hopped on to post the same thing. I was hoping it was fixed. Used my Windows pc to log into work because I hoped this update fixed it.

This bug and the horribly lagging scrolling where the first things I noticed when upgrading to Music on Catalina. A user earlier in this thread said the scrolling performance was improved on Big Sur, but I'm annoyed to hear they haven't fixed the double-clicking bug. It's such a basic feature and I'm tired of having to click the small "play" button or quitting and relaunching the app.

Reactions: mikzn

pjanoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
Another annoying thing for me, say I shuffle a playlist, then I click an album and press play, the album shuffles instead of playing from track one. I have to manually turn shuffle off from the menu bar. It’s never worked this way before and doesn’t behave this way on the iPhone.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Fjuarez

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
Music app useless on beta 5 only black screen and an error in radio ??‍♂️
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 22.38.32.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 22.38.46.png

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
FWIW - it seems the filter field has been finally been partially updated - Music 1.1.0.221 - now it does persist in the song view / column view and when switching to a different view and returning to song view it is still there as long as text was left in the filter field! - ?

Show Filter Field (menu < view< Show Filter Field (short cut = cmd + alt + F)

Edit / Update: seems it works well for the column view and partially for the play lists views, it "kind of works" in the playists views if you leave a search string in the filter field - then if you switch to another screen, and return to that playlist, the search string is still displayed in the filter field when you return

Edit 2 - (thanks to ErikGrim - see next post) apparently this was the case a for a while and perhaps in Catalina as well - but many may not be aware (as I was not) and (for me - at least) this is a workable scenario since you can leave your filter text in place and change from one playlist to another and come back to the orginal playlist and still see the search results

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Edit / Update: seems it works well for the column view and partially for the play lists views, it "kind of works" in the playists views if you leave a search string in the filter field - then if you switch to another screen, and return to that playlist, the search string is still displayed in the filter field when you return
It has always "worked" like this. Keeping a search string and remember to leaving one when you are done searching is equally as cumbersome as bringing it up each time.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
It has always "worked" like this. Keeping a search string and remember to leaving one when you are done searching is equally as cumbersome as bringing it up each time.

I guess I did not notice it before - I find it useful - at least better than what I thought

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
For people with large CD collections - Looks like artwork is still a problem in Music / Big Sur - when I moved my Catalina / Music to a new hard drive installed on my MBP it started up with all the playlists and play counts ok but the artwork was missing for more than 70% of my music :mad:

Strangely the artwork still shows in the mini player but not in the "album view" and not in the artwork tab in "Get Info"
Control + Click in the "Get info" Artwork tab no longer gives you an option to get the artwork - this did work in Catalina ( at least for a while - not sure about the current version) - and clicking on the "Add Artwork" opens a browser window so you can manually add artwork

So for interest, I grabbed 2 CD's (yes "Union" and Yes "Talk") that I had imported back in 2003 in iTunes X v2.0.3 (with artwork) and re-imported the CD's today - no artwork and cannot get artwork with Music Big Sur or even with current iTunes (mojave) - not sure why but it is starting to look like artwork is better done manually - a daunting task with a large cd library

I even tried my old MBP with Lion and iTunes 11 - Artwork does not import and "Get Artwork" does not work - anyway a word of caution for anyone with artwork on iTunes - migrating to Music will result in a lot of lost artwork.

I also submitted another bug for the "play issue" - double clicking in song view does not play the song - you have to actually go to the play icon triangle and click the "play icon" to get the selected track to play :(

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
New fun bug for me: No matter how many times I turn off the "Show artwork" in view options for Songs it always returns the next time I launch. Also Listen Now is not loading for me.

My iTunes library was somehow corrupted, so I'm taking the opportunity to try to move from iTunes to Music full time for the moment. I'm sure there will be more bugs and irritants to discover. Or maybe I'll just get used to using cmd-shift-f every time I need to search, who knows?

Last edited:

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
For people with large CD collections - Looks like artwork is still a problem in Music / Big Sur - when I moved my Catalina / Music to a new hard drive installed on my MBP it started up with all the playlists and play counts ok but the artwork was missing for more than 70% of my music :mad:

Strangely the artwork still shows in the mini player but not in the "album view" and not in the artwork tab in "Get Info"
Control + Click in the "Get info" Artwork tab no longer gives you an option to get the artwork - this did work in Catalina ( at least for a while - not sure about the current version) - and clicking on the "Add Artwork" opens a browser window so you can manually add artwork

So for interest, I grabbed 2 CD's (yes "Union" and Yes "Talk") that I had imported back in 2003 in iTunes X v2.0.3 (with artwork) and re-imported the CD's today - no artwork and cannot get artwork with Music Big Sur or even with current iTunes (mojave) - not sure why but it is starting to look like artwork is better done manually - a daunting task with a large cd library

I even tried my old MBP with Lion and iTunes 11 - Artwork does not import and "Get Artwork" does not work - anyway a word of caution for anyone with artwork on iTunes - migrating to Music will result in a lot of lost artwork.

I also submitted another bug for the "play issue" - double clicking in song view does not play the song - you have to actually go to the play icon triangle and click the "play icon" to get the selected track to play :(

If you use an ID3 Tag reader app, does it show the artworks embedded in the audio files? If so, then it's simply an issue with displaying them. I have that same issue and I'm still hoping they'll fix it. For now, I'm not worried about losing the artwork as long as it's still in the audio files.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If you use an ID3 Tag reader app, does it show the artworks embedded in the audio files? If so, then it's simply an issue with displaying them. I have that same issue and I'm still hoping they'll fix it. For now, I'm not worried about losing the artwork as long as it's still in the audio files.

Tried using TidyTag and VLC, some artwork seems completely missing and some partially (some in Music.App show partially - see screen shots below - these "partial artwork songs" do show in VLC) - my guess is some of the CD's I ripped back in the day were embedded and later on perhaps iTunes stopped embedding - all I know is, a lot of of the artwork is missing and it seems worse in Big Sur - but to be fair it was not great in Mojave or Catalina either.

On another note - there is Good news in latest version music 1.1.0.234 - the double click bug seems to be fixed and songs can be played by double clicking in the song list view without going to the play button ?

artwork.png

VLC-artwork.png

Reactions: ErikGrim

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
New fun bug for me: No matter how many times I turn off the "Show artwork" in view options for Songs it always returns the next time I launch. Also Listen Now is not loading for me

Just tried this in Music 1.1.0.234 and it does toggle on or off for me - I have never used this (Feature) to show the artwork because it has always showed in the top bar and in the mini player (1 click) - good enough for me.

I did notice that when I toggled it "ON" the artwork did show (as long as the artwork is not missing in general lol) - I prefer to leave it "OFF"

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Just tried this in Music 1.1.0.234 and it does toggle on or off for me - I have never used this (Feature) to show the artwork because it has always showed in the top bar and in the mini player (1 click) - good enough for me.

I did notice that when I toggled it "ON" the artwork did show (as long as the artwork is not missing in general lol) - I prefer to leave it "OFF"
Toggles on and off for me, but doesn't stay off the next time I launch.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Toggles on and off for me, but doesn't stay off the next time I launch.

This was not happening for me over the past few "Big Sur beta's" in song view, but I had never toggled the "Show Artwork" to ON

Once I did try, "just it to see it" - it now defaults to "Show Artwork" check box enabled when I re-launch Music

LOL - "Curiosity Killed the Cat"

• Sad
Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.