Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I do see that. Somehow that seems like a weird name for that even though I would be importing when ripping a CD. In my mind I was thinking it was for importing music files on my hard drive or an external drive. Thanks for your help.
To add/import song files you just drag and drop, or put them in the 'Automatically Add to Music' folder, just like you always have. Also, Import Settings also applies to File > Converting songs within Music. I use this for converting Voice Memo recordings to WAV which I use in Adobe Animate.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
To add/import song files you just drag and drop, or put them in the 'Automatically Add to Music' folder, just like you always have. Also, Import Settings also applies to File > Converting songs within Music. I use this for converting Voice Memo recordings to WAV which I use in Adobe Animate.

Well all my imports of songs have been through CD ripping. I now also use XLD app to rip CDs. It will automatically add the songs to the Music App. I keep wanting to call it iTunes cause that's what I've always known it to be. I import in Apple Lossless. I wish the Music App would support FLAC and DSD though but I know that will never happen. Where is this "automatically add to music" folder?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well all my imports of songs have been through CD ripping. I now also use XLD app to rip CDs. It will automatically add the songs to the Music App. I keep wanting to call it iTunes cause that's what I've always known it to be. I import in Apple Lossless. I wish the Music App would support FLAC and DSD though but I know that will never happen. Where is this "automatically add to music" folder?
Its down in your User > Music folder, just keep clicking.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay. I don't see it. But thanks for the help.
You don't see this?
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.31.52 AM.png

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
What about search?? This is what it looks like in the Music App. In iTunes it was simply a list view which was much simpler. Seems to be a drastic change of the search function?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.59.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.59.20 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 114

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Also how can I easily find out how many of each type of song I have? For example how many purchased songs (from iTunes Store) or iTunes Match songs I have. Over time I've been wanting and trying to get rid of those and only have my music in Apple Lossless. Either ripped from CDs or if there is somewhere online where i can buy and download FLAC or DSD files and convert to Apple Lossless.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Also how can I easily find out how many of each type of song I have? For example how many purchased songs (from iTunes Store) or iTunes Match songs I have. Over time I've been wanting and trying to get rid of those and only have my music in Apple Lossless. Either ripped from CDs or if there is somewhere online where i can buy and download FLAC or DSD files and convert to Apple Lossless.
You can use smart albums for this, just target something specific to the songs, like kind or bitrate, you want to have in the playlist. In Music app, Get Info on that song type and look in the File tab for details you can target. For example, Kind is not "Apple Lossless audio file".

Or display the Kind column, click on it so songs are organized by Kind, click on the first AAC son, Shift+Click on there last AAC song, and see the item count in the bottom Music app Status Bar.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What about search?? This is what it looks like in the Music App. In iTunes it was simply a list view which was much simpler. Seems to be a drastic change of the search function?
Apple's new global search (as in you can swap between Library and Apple Music and iTunes) is clunky at best. I think what you're looking for is a search more like the classical iTunes which is called the Filter Field.

• Go to View -> Show Filter Filed, or
  • Option-Command-F
This creates another search filed in the top right that just filters down your current view. So if you're viewing your entire library in Song View it'll filter down your search. In album view it filters down the albums, etc. My only gripe is that it isn't persistent. Each time you change views you have to bring the Filter Field back up.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I do see that. Somehow that seems like a weird name for that even though I would be importing when ripping a CD. In my mind I was thinking it was for importing music files on my hard drive or an external drive. Thanks for your help.
It's also for converting existing files using the Convert command, so the new name makes more sense.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Its also incorrectly tagged as an 'Album with songs from various artists'; it shouldn't be displaying the artist's name under the song. I see that a lot in artist best-ofs/compilations, but I don't think that's Apple's fault. I uncheck that with Albums I've added to my Library.
Hmm. That isn't set in the UI and inspecting the tags with a third-party app doesn't show a tag for it. I wonder why it's showing up like that!

Edit: One of the songs is "featuring" another artist, and that seems to trigger it. It's the same with other albums with featured artists, regardless of the "compilation" tag. I don't believe that that's a bug.

Feltan

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2022
Sweden
Ever since 12.3 I haven't been able to listen to CD's using Music and Airpods. Been in contact with Apple Support who said that "i'm the only one in northern hemisphere with this problem relating to superdrive"...

So, what works:

Listening to CD's with SuperDrive and Music -> imac speakers and external - yes
Listening to CD's with SuperDrive and Music -> Airpods - no
Listening to CD's with SuperDrive and VLC -> Airpods - YES

The root problem is in music app, console reports "ASSERTION FAILURE" amongst other things, it just won't start playing the cd when airpods is connected.

My newly purchased Macbook Air M1, running 12.2, can play cd's with superdrive to Airpods. Quite reluctant in updating...

Anyone else experiencing issues with Music app and Airpods and SuperDrive or am I the only one?

Reactions: gank41

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hmm. That isn't set in the UI and inspecting the tags with a third-party app doesn't show a tag for it. I wonder why it's showing up like that!

Edit: One of the songs is "featuring" another artist, and that seems to trigger it. It's the same with other albums with featured artists, regardless of the "compilation" tag. I don't believe that that's a bug.
Its usually set here, but that album isn't in the US Apple Music so I can't really what's doing it. I usually clean up stuff like that, I'll add (Feat. Artist) in the song name and just put the artist as The Corrs. I have noticed that a lot of single artist, best of albums hover that checked.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 6.40.50 AM.png

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
Until recently, tracks I had played on my iPhone would sync with the 'last played' field in the Mac music app. Now they don't. Have the settings changed?

Edit: Seems to have partially rectified itself. Now updates tracks next day - weird or what!?

Last edited:

Klschmann

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2020
Washington, DC
I realize how niche this question/observation is these days - but did they change the resolution of artwork that comes with purchases from the iTunes store?

I purchased an album prior to the most recent Monterey update a few weeks ago and the album artwork that came with these files was the standard 2000x2000. This is the way it's been for years now for albums and songs that I've purchased from the store.

I then purchased an album this morning and the artwork that came with that was 600x600. I noticed an album I purchased last week (also post update) was the same size.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is this some kind of setting that perhaps got re-set or is this a weird bug? I'm not sure if the update has anything to do with it, but everything up to the time I upgraded comes with the larger sized artwork so I can't imagine that's a coincidence.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I’m still running Mojave because of iTunes… why couldn’t they just have enabled sort playlists by year in album view.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Whether he hates music is irrelevant; he's not in charge of and doesn't build the Music app so you can blame the Apple Music team for not changing the app enough.

Looks like some mild Music changes related to notifications and recommendations.

...but why does he hate music?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.