Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I like dcresource.com for reviews.

Thanks, I'll try it out. If anyones interested, I found a site called DPreview.com and it also seems quite good.
Also, is there any kind of camera event/show coming up soon where they could announce new stuff? (like within 2 months, cause I'm hoping to buy it by then)

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
Try out kenrockwell.com for some pretty great information about cameras and photography in general.

I'm new to the DSLR world as well. I haven't bought one yet, so I can't offer much in terms of my own experience, but Ken Rockwell's site has given me a pretty good starting point. He highly recommends the Nikon D40 for someone in your (or my) shoes. As with any questions of this nature, take his advice with a grain of salt because, in the end, it's all about personal preference.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Also, is there any kind of camera event/show coming up soon where they could announce new stuff?

No. The entry-level cameras from the major players are all quite new right now. Pentax will be announcing a new consumer-level camera on May 20, but all information so far indicates that it will be a sort of MacBook Pro of DSLRs...that is, very slick, very sleek, and not at all cheap. They're apparently going to emphasize user experience (i.e. tactile luxury), build quality, and weather resistance (including a weather-resistant kit lens). So if any of that is interesting to you, then you might consider waiting ten days for the announcement. Otherwise, the big announcements at that tier have all come out already.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I'm new to the DSLR world as well. I haven't bought one yet, so I can't offer much in terms of my own experience, but Ken Rockwell's site has given me a pretty good starting point. He highly recommends the Nikon D40 for someone in your (or my) shoes. As with any questions of this nature, take his advice with a grain of salt because, in the end, it's all about personal preference.
Haha, do take note that the thing he says about the D40 esp. is totally exaggerated and D60 is not as bad as he made it sounds.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Haha, do take note that the thing he says about the D40 esp. is totally exaggerated and D60 is not as bad as he made it sounds.

Yeah he seemed to me to be quite the Nikon fanboy. I mean full pages of Nikon stuff, then 2 paragraphs on Canon (which I'm interested in more anyway :p)
But I sure learned some new stuff about lenses from there!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So what exactly is the difference between a DSLR and a super-zoom? From what I understand, the super-zoom has a fixed lens, which should be "OK" in most cases. Is that right?

Can anyone explain to me exactly what the differences between lenses are? Because the number I found is really overwhelming and I was not able to figure out the differences and uses.

So what I plan to shoot: practically, everything. From friends/family to sports to animals to architecture. Any advice on what would fit me better? DSLR or super-zoom?...

The SLR has a far better sensor. But also it is part of a larger "system". When you buy an SLR you are really not buying a camera, you are buying arts of a system of lenses and bodys. Choose the brand based on which system you like. Note that you will be "locked in" to that brand for many years so choose based on your needs now and in five or ten years. So, even if one brand were best for beginers, you are not likely to change brands, once you have an SLR body and a copy lenses you will want to stay with that brand.

Lenses have two numbers that specify their characteristics (1) Focal length, measured in milimeters. Some lenses are "zooms" can you can change the length. Some are fixed length. and (2) "Aperture" or "f-stop" or "speed". This s measures are a ratio or fraction -- the Length over the diameter. S an f/2 lens is larger than an f/4 lens and likely costs alot more.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Choose the brand based on which system you like. Note that you will be "locked in" to that brand for many years so choose based on your needs now and in five or ten years. So, even if one brand were best for beginers, you are not likely to change brands, once you have an SLR body and a copy lenses you will want to stay with that brand.

Yes, that is currently my biggest problem. Choosing the brand is not something easy and I am 1000% sure that I will not be wanting to buy a new body AND lenses from a different company in a couple years, thats why I'm doing all this research.
Currently I am going toward the Canon XSi as from what I read it seems to offer the best bang for the buck. Or maybe the T1i, but I read that the differences are quite minor.
If not, I also am waiting for some more reviews of the Olympus E620 as it looks like a pretty good one.
I am also thinking about the Sony A300/350 (or maybe the soon to be announced A330/380)
Don't know what, but there's something keeping me away from Nikon.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Bang for the buck would be the K200D (weather sealing), or the E-620 (autofocus finetuning).

gerlan

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
Have you considered renting say Canon then Nikon/Pentax and try them out? Contact your local shops or perhaps visit your local camera club? The camera that you like using will be as good a choice as any? Consider it more of an investment than as an additional cost- a local store might even 'refund' the hire cost when you make a purchase with them.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Have you considered renting say Canon then Nikon/Pentax and try them out? Contact your local shops or perhaps visit your local camera club? The camera that you like using will be as good a choice as any? Consider it more of an investment than as an additional cost- a local store might even 'refund' the hire cost when you make a purchase with them.

I was thinking of doing that, unfortunately that doesn't work over here.

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah he seemed to me to be quite the Nikon fanboy. I mean full pages of Nikon stuff, then 2 paragraphs on Canon (which I'm interested in more anyway :p)
But I sure learned some new stuff about lenses from there!

Which is exactly why I added the caveat "take the advice with a grain of salt", haha :). I agree that he's biased and all, but at least he's got reasons to back up his opinions. Just weigh his opinions against how important they are to you.

That said, I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.:( I almost bought the D60, but KR got me thinking about the D40. Is the extra resolution REALLY that helpful when printing larger sized prints? Is the slower flash sync/lower ISO sensitivity of the D60 REALLY that much of a disadvantage?

Can anyone with more experience than I help me out?

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Which is exactly why I added the caveat "take the advice with a grain of salt", haha :). I agree that he's biased and all, but at least he's got reasons to back up his opinions. Just weigh his opinions against how important they are to you.

That said, I'm suffering from analysis paralysis.:( I almost bought the D60, but KR got me thinking about the D40. Is the extra resolution REALLY that helpful when printing larger sized prints? Is the slower flash sync/lower ISO sensitivity of the D60 REALLY that much of a disadvantage?

From what I've seen, the D40 handles high ISO with more grace than the D60, but I haven't deeply looked into it so you might want to research a bit more.

Although, from my own experience, I rarely use the pop-up flash (it amounts to like less than three times a year, honestly) and it's an even rarer occasion where I would need a higher sync speed. KR seems to make a big deal about it but for me and what I shoot, it's not really that important. If you shot outdoor portraits often, then it would be a bigger factor.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

The extra resolution isn't really that big a deal. Get the D40 if you can find it priced better, and worry about what features you're going to want in your next body.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
OK guys, so I have another question which I can't seem to find the answer to.
What is generally better; stabilization in the body or the lens?

NYC Russ

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
NYC
Hell all!

As someone with over a decade of professional consumer electronics experience, and 30 years of photography experience, here is my buying advice.

1) Any specific advice given by someone is usually highly biased. They're not telling you what is best for you, they are telling what is best for them.

2) Learn how to evaluate products in a showroom. I won't make specific brand or model recommendations because that won't serve anyone well.

3) What makes the best camera is the photographer behind it. Make sure that the camera is comfortable and intuitive to use. This makes it easier for the photographer and camera to become one.

4) Don't be afraid to buy used. A new camera is almost never an investment. It might be an operating cost for a professional, but it is not an investment. Whatever is purchased will lose resale value. New products lose it much faster than used. If a used camera and/or lens is purchased and buyer's remorse sets in a year later, a higher percentage of the purchase price is recoverable.

5) Lenses have their greatest issues in the corners, at wide open aperture settings, and at zoom extremes (if a zoom.) Start by looking at the least expensive lens. The distortion should be more obvious than in a premium lens. Try to figure out what is acceptable.

I hope that this helps.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
OK guys, so I have another question which I can't seem to find the answer to.
What is generally better; stabilization in the body or the lens?

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. My husband and I decided to diversify our systems so that we could have one of each. He went with Pentax and has in-body stabilization. I went with Canon and have stabilized lenses. Stabilization works very well with both systems, but perhaps is more effective on longer focal lengths when it is in the lens. I might get one extra stop of stabilization over him at longer focal lengths. Where he beats me is that he can stick any lens he wants on his camera, including his fast prime lenses, and can have the best of both worlds: super sharp and fast lens PLUS stabilization (Canon has no prime lens that is stabilized under 200mm in length, and that 200mm lens costs $5,000).

Now some people will tell you that you "don't need" stabilization at shorter focal lengths, and I can only guess that these people shoot in good light all of the time. Having the combination of a fast lens (that is, one with a wide maximum aperture of at least f/2.8) and stabilization means you can shoot in very low-light situations, handholding with shutter speeds of about 1/4s.

So if you want to shoot mostly telephoto stuff, then in-lens stabilization will be better for you, but it is much more expensive than in-body stabilization. The latter does work well and can gain you a good two stops of speed, but in-lens stabilization might get you that extra third stop on these longer focal lengths.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Hell all!

As someone with over a decade of professional consumer electronics experience, and 30 years of photography experience, here is my buying advice.

1) Any specific advice given by someone is usually highly biased. They're not telling you what is best for you, they are telling what is best for them.

2) Learn how to evaluate products in a showroom. I won't make specific brand or model recommendations because that won't serve anyone well.

3) What makes the best camera is the photographer behind it. Make sure that the camera is comfortable and intuitive to use. This makes it easier for the photographer and camera to become one.

4) Don't be afraid to buy used. A new camera is almost never an investment. It might be an operating cost for a professional, but it is not an investment. Whatever is purchased will lose resale value. New products lose it much faster than used. If a used camera and/or lens is purchased and buyer's remorse sets in a year later, a higher percentage of the purchase price is recoverable.

5) Lenses have their greatest issues in the corners, at wide open aperture settings, and at zoom extremes (if a zoom.) Start by looking at the least expensive lens. The distortion should be more obvious than in a premium lens. Try to figure out what is acceptable.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks, I figured that would happen. But I was just looking for a direction to go in, since at the beginning I have to say I was pretty damn clueless :p and I think I'm on a much better road now in terms of my decision.
And I have to say that all of you helped me a lot so far! (especially with some of those review sites) I think I am really close to deciding on my first body (Canon XSi or T1i or 40D/50D (depends if the price I get will be much better on the 40D than 50D since I can get the 50D from an online site for much cheaper than other places but they don't have the 40D)) and now I'm investigating into lenses!

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
OK Canon guys, I have a question about some lenses.
I can get both the XS or XSi with either the EF-S 18-200mm or with the EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 55-250mm (all IS), and I am undecided wether it's better to go with the single lens or the two lenses.
I read that the 18-200mm is of better build quality and it's easier since I lenses don't have to be switched. But I'm unsure of the difference between the 200 to 250mm. Is it really much of a difference? What would the the difference in quality and all that stuff? (I can't seem to find many places that compare them)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK Canon guys, I have a question about some lenses.
I can get both the XS or XSi with either the EF-S 18-200mm or with the EF-S 18-55mm and EF-S 55-250mm (all IS), and I am undecided wether it's better to go with the single lens or the two lenses.

I have an XTi with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS. I love this set-up for the following reasons.

1. The price was right. The price for the two of them cost me $430, although you may be able to better prices now.

2. Both lenses have pretty good IQ.

3. Overall weight is not bad.

Now, here are the things that I don't like.

1. Switching from one lens to the other can be quite a hassle, depending on the situation.

2. Both lenses have plastic mounts, although I haven't had any issues, it's something that I worry about.

I think overall, from what I've read, the IQ of the 18-55/55-250 combo is better than the 18-200. But the convenience of having one lens to cover the entire range (well, most of the range) can be a big factor for some.

So decide what's more important to you and go with it.

ft

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I have an XTi with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS. I love this set-up for the following reasons.

1. The price was right. The price for the two of them cost me $430, although you may be able to better prices now.

2. Both lenses have pretty good IQ.

3. Overall weight is not bad.

Now, here are the things that I don't like.

1. Switching from one lens to the other can be quite a hassle, depending on the situation.

2. Both lenses have plastic mounts, although I haven't had any issues, it's something that I worry about.

I think overall, from what I've read, the IQ of the 18-55/55-250 combo is better than the 18-200. But the convenience of having one lens to cover the entire range (well, most of the range) can be a big factor for some.

So decide what's more important to you and go with it.

ft

Thanks for the reply!
So how is the plastic mount? Do you think there's a chance something can break?
I am inclined to go the combo way, since I think most of the times I'll probably be better off with the 55-250, since that seems to be a pretty neutral lens for most things and then I can always put on the other one when I need to. I was also considering to get the EF 50mm 1.8, but I think that would be too much (and pointless). But I'll try to go to a store to try them out.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks for the reply!
So how is the plastic mount? Do you think there's a chance something can break?
The plastic mount has been fine, and honestly, I don't have any lenses with metal mounts, so I don't really know one way or the other. It's just all of the horror stories I read on the Internet that has me somewhat concerned.

I am inclined to go the combo way, since I think most of the times I'll probably be better off with the 55-250, since that seems to be a pretty neutral lens for most things and then I can always put on the other one when I need to. I was also considering to get the EF 50mm 1.8, but I think that would be too much (and pointless). But I'll try to go to a store to try them out.
Well the next lens that I'm getting is the EF 50mm f/1.8. I don't think it's pointless ... at least for me. I like taking photos indoors of my kids and I don't like to use the flash. So having a fast prime would be good for these situations. However, I'm beginning to think that adding a speedlight would be a better option for me since I could bounce the flash or move it off camera and get really creative.

Or maybe the 50mm and the flash.

As for the 55-250, I really like this lens. I prefer it over the 18-55 for the photos that I take. I like to get shots of my kids, but I find that with the 18-55, I have to stand pretty close to them. The longer range of the 55-250 allows me to shoot from further back and I get many more "candid" shots.

Maybe one of these days, I'll get the 28-135 lens that will give me complete coverage across the 35 to 110 mm range that I seem to like.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The plastic mount has been fine, and honestly, I don't have any lenses with metal mounts, so I don't really know one way or the other. It's just all of the horror stories I read on the Internet that has me somewhat concerned.

Well the next lens that I'm getting is the EF 50mm f/1.8. I don't think it's pointless ... at least for me. I like taking photos indoors of my kids and I don't like to use the flash. So having a fast prime would be good for these situations. However, I'm beginning to think that adding a speedlight would be a better option for me since I could bounce the flash or move it off camera and get really creative.

Or maybe the 50mm and the flash.

As for the 55-250, I really like this lens. I prefer it over the 18-55 for the photos that I take. I like to get shots of my kids, but I find that with the 18-55, I have to stand pretty close to them. The longer range of the 55-250 allows me to shoot from further back and I get many more "candid" shots.

Maybe one of these days, I'll get the 28-135 lens that will give me complete coverage across the 35 to 110 mm range that I seem to like.

Yeah, that is one thing scaring me a bit away (the plastic mounts) but if they'd be breaking, I think Canon wouldn't be selling as many of them. And the flash is one of the most recommended accessories to get from what I see. Any idea which one you would get? I'm currently looking at either the 420EX or 430EX. They both seem pretty good from reviews and the price is great as well (130-200).

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yeah, that is one thing scaring me a bit away (the plastic mounts) but if they'd be breaking, I think Canon wouldn't be selling as many of them. And the flash is one of the most recommended accessories to get from what I see. Any idea which one you would get? I'm currently looking at either the 420EX or 430EX. They both seem pretty good from reviews and the price is great as well (130-200).
As far as the durability of the plastic mount, it's probably all in my head. I'm sure it's fine, but I still am very careful with it, especially the 55-250 since it's longer.

For flashes, I think I'm starting off with the 430EXII. I think the 270EX would be nice, but the lack of IR reduces it's usefulness for off-camera shooting.

The 580EX is nice, but for me, it's probably overkill.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.