Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Wow. I never heard of those places. Looks like I'll have to check them out this weekend! I was looking at ordering them online, but I prefer in a store since when something goes wrong I can just bring it there and get it exchanged, but if I'd get it online, I'd have to send it back and wait a long time.
So you guys reckon I should rather get that Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? Looks like it would accompany the 50 f/1.8 and the 70-200 f/4 well. Maybe since that one is 2.8 the 1.8 might not even be as necessary.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I just looked at their site and saw they have a pretty nice 70-200 f/2.8 as well. Anybody have experience with it? looks like it could be a better buy than the Canon with f/4.

Edit - I just read a couple reviews that suggest to kind of keep away from it. I also read that the 17-50 has an opposite turning zoom/focus ring. Could that cause any problems, or is it easy to get used to the difference?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You should check the warranty conditions of the manufacturer.

For example, for Nikon lenses, gray market will give you NO warranty (from Nikon), unauthorized dealer with official import will mean 1 year warranty from Nikon, and authorized dealer WITH OFFICIAL IMPORT implies 1+4 year warranty from Nikon. [You should always check the particulars for a specific country]

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
You should check the warranty conditions of the manufacturer.

For example, for Nikon lenses, gray market will give you NO warranty (from Nikon), unauthorized dealer with official import will mean 1 year warranty from Nikon, and authorized dealer WITH OFFICIAL IMPORT implies 1+4 year warranty from Nikon. [You should always check the particulars for a specific country]

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I was about to go to a store here tomorrow to ask about all that.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
At least in USA, Nikon will simply refuse to service any gray market equipment, even if you want to pay them.

With official imports you can always pay an EXPENSIVE fee for servicing after the warranty is over.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
At least in USA, Nikon will simply refuse to service any gray market equipment, even if you want to pay them.

With official imports you can always pay an EXPENSIVE fee for servicing after the warranty is over.

Well I just looked up the store where I plan to get my camera, and they in fact have that Tamron there (no idea how I overlooked it before) so I'm guessing they would probably provide service for it. But I'll ask them, since that is a fairly major reason I am against buying online/third party.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You have to check about what "service" means.

In USA for example you will find authorized dealers that sell both official imports and gray market items. The gray market items will be a bit cheaper and their warranty will be handle by the store or an independent third party. Only the official imports will get the warranty from the manufacturer.

Note also that while a gray market item will normally mean you will have to deal with an entity from the country where you bought it, an official import might be covered by a worldwide warranty, provided that it was official in the country where you bought it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't know for the other brands, but an official Nikon lens should come with a yellow Nikon worldwide warranty registration card.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well I just looked up the store where I plan to get my camera, and they in fact have that Tamron there (no idea how I overlooked it before) so I'm guessing they would probably provide service for it. But I'll ask them, since that is a fairly major reason I am against buying online/third party.

I believe EU law requires items sold there to be covered for six years, no?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I believe EU law requires items sold there to be covered for six years, no?

I think so. I'm not sure for most things, since the last thing I look at is warranties in most cases :x But most things I keep seeing for cameras and stuff say they are covered for 6 years.
Just another question. Out of a practical point of view, what would be more useful? A battery grip or an external flash (430EX)? I'm wanting to get them all eventually, but I'm not sure if they will both fit my budget right now. Also, how are third party battery grips compared to the original Canon one?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think so. I'm not sure for most things, since the last thing I look at is warranties in most cases :x But most things I keep seeing for cameras and stuff say they are covered for 6 years.
Just another question. Out of a practical point of view, what would be more useful? A battery grip or an external flash (430EX)? I'm wanting to get them all eventually, but I'm not sure if they will both fit my budget right now. Also, how are third party battery grips compared to the original Canon one?

The third party battery grips will work, but they lack some of the buttons that are duplicated on the official Canon one.

It's a really tough call between the external flash and the grip. I have both and don't know how I could part with either one. I guess the short answer is that I use the grip 100% of the time and the flash only on occasion. I like that the grip makes the camera feel more balanced, and I love not having to hike one elbow in the air to shoot in portrait orientation.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The third party battery grips will work, but they lack some of the buttons that are duplicated on the official Canon one.

It's a really tough call between the external flash and the grip. I have both and don't know how I could part with either one. I guess the short answer is that I use the grip 100% of the time and the flash only on occasion. I like that the grip makes the camera feel more balanced, and I love not having to hike one elbow in the air to shoot in portrait orientation.

OK thanks! I'll probably go for the grip now and flash later. I'll definitely have to try it out tomorrow to decide though.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
OK thanks! I'll probably go for the grip now and flash later. I'll definitely have to try it out tomorrow to decide though.
The grip will probably help out the most with the 70-200 f/4L. I use it, sans battery grip and on a Rebel body it does feel unbalanced. Good luck with your purchases!

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The grip will probably help out the most with the 70-200 f/4L. I use it, sans battery grip and on a Rebel body it does feel unbalanced. Good luck with your purchases!

Yes, I figured that would be a problem! I mean the camera is around 500g and that lens is around 750g! Quite a difference.
Hopefully they will have all three (camera, lens, grip) at the store I'm going to so I can try them all out.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
OK, so after some quality time with all the cameras at the store :cool: I am 95% decided on the 450D with battery grip, 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 and Lowepro bag (probably Flipside 200/300). After a lot of thinking, I've decided to get the external flash later.
So I want to thank you all for contributing to this thread and helping me make my choice easier ;) (but wait for more posts once I get into some trouble with the camera :p)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
OK, so after some quality time with all the cameras at the store :cool: I am 95% decided on the 450D with battery grip, 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 and Lowepro bag (probably Flipside 200/300). After a lot of thinking, I've decided to get the external flash later.
So I want to thank you all for contributing to this thread and helping me make my choice easier ;) (but wait for more posts once I get into some trouble with the camera :p)

Very nice kit. Enjoy!!

Potus

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2002
My Experience FWIW

No one has mentioned Olympus DSLRs. I have two Oly backs: the E-500 (currently @$800.00) and E-510 (currently at $689.00 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko kit lenses). I have a number of lenses but my 2 favorites are the Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Telephoto Macro ED lens and the Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 Digital ED SWD zoom lens. I love these cameras. I literally use them every day. I can't think of single shot that was bad because of camera or lens failure. And these lenses are superb. I like the sturdy feel of the backs and the Four Thirds lens systems gives you fantastic lenses at less weight and bulk.

As someone said above, buying a DSLR is a commitment: you buy backs and lenses as your needs change and expand, which means taking steps down a certain path and pretty much sticking with it unless you have deep pockets. If I were starting out today, I would get the new Oly E-30 12.3MP and the two lenses I mentioned. Or if size is an issue, and you want something small and light, I'd get the E-420 with the 25mm pancake lens which comein arount $500.00.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, you got a very nice startup lenses there. Envy you :D

Enjoy your gear and be sure to post some photos in photos of the day while at it ;)

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Wrong, they were mentioned by the OP as well as others (posts #3, #16, #17, #19, #33, and #34)- but once the OP decided on the Canon (post #69,) nobody else had a fanboy moment.

Haha, "fanboy moment"

Extension tubes sit between the lens and the camera, and shift the focusing plane to give you basic macro results by allowing you to be closer to the subject than the lens alone allows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_tube

OK thanks. So how useful are they in practice? I would guess in the end it'd be cheaper to just get a dedicated Macro lens, or?

Wow, you got a very nice startup lenses there. Envy you :D

Enjoy your gear and be sure to post some photos in photos of the day while at it ;)

Thanks! I will definitely post (once my exams are over, that is) Then I get to spend a lovely summer in Spain, so there is definitely A LOT of things to take photos of :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
OK thanks. So how useful are they in practice? I would guess in the end it'd be cheaper to just get a dedicated Macro lens, or?

Depends on how much macro you shoot, how much magnification you want and what lenses you have. It's easier to get a macro lens, but not cheaper- if you don't need automatic coupling, you can get a set of tubes for under $10 on eBay. Your choices are tubes, diopters, reversing rings or a macro lens- macro lenses are the easiest/quickest of the bunch.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Depends on how much macro you shoot, how much magnification you want and what lenses you have. It's easier to get a macro lens, but not cheaper- if you don't need automatic coupling, you can get a set of tubes for under $10 on eBay. Your choices are tubes, diopters, reversing rings or a macro lens- macro lenses are the easiest/quickest of the bunch.

OK. So if I generally don't shoot much macro, it would be better to get some tubes or diopters then? Out of those two, which would you recommend to be better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.