Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
It's a toss-up, if you have lenses with manual apertures, then I'd go with cheap tubes for flexibility though.

OK! So I'll see how everything goes then, and if I'll get sucked into macro photography, I'll definitely get a dedicated lens. If not, a couple tubes will be enough :cool: Now I just have to get my mind off photography a bit so I can pass my exams that I have in about 3 weeks :p

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
If you are going to get a superzoom get a sony DSC h50 i Bought one a few weeks ago and it rocks. it evan takes IR Pics.

Thanks for the input, but I already decided on a Canon DSLR loooong ago :D

Now I already have a lens on my wish-list! Either the 60mm or 100mm macro :p

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Sorry guys for reopening this thread, but I just found out that I should have sufficient funds to also fit a macro lens into my budget.
So out of the two Canons 60mm and 100mm, which would you recommend? Any third party you would recommend?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Sorry guys for reopening this thread, but I just found out that I should have sufficient funds to also fit a macro lens into my budget.
So out of the two Canons 60mm and 100mm, which would you recommend? Any third party you would recommend?

I went for the 60mm for two reasons. One is that I wanted something to replace my "nifty fifty," and the other is that I already had a 100mm f/2 as my portrait lens. If you need greater working distance (e.g. for shooting bugs), then you might prefer the 100mm f/2.8. The 100mm will also be better for portraits since it gives you greater background magnification. However, the 100mm is a long lens, so it's not much good for shooting in small spaces. Also, if you aren't using a tripod, the longer focal length will mean more camera shake.

I really like the working distance of the 60mm lens, but I don't ever point it at insects (I'm too squeamish!).

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I went for the 60mm for two reasons. One is that I wanted something to replace my "nifty fifty," and the other is that I already had a 100mm f/2 as my portrait lens. If you need greater working distance (e.g. for shooting bugs), then you might prefer the 100mm f/2.8. The 100mm will also be better for portraits since it gives you greater background magnification. However, the 100mm is a long lens, so it's not much good for shooting in small spaces. Also, if you aren't using a tripod, the longer focal length will mean more camera shake.

I really like the working distance of the 60mm lens, but I don't ever point it at insects (I'm too squeamish!).

Ha yeah, that's my exact problem right now :p the 60mm will fill the gap nicely between the 17-50 and 70-200, but the 100 gives more working distance (since I plan to shoot bugs as well :p) but doubt I would bring my tripod everywhere I go.
Now this is one reason why I have photography :D too many choices and none of them will give what you really need :p

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Don't mind the gap.

Ha yeah, that's my exact problem right now :p the 60mm will fill the gap nicely between the 17-50 and 70-200, but the 100 gives more working distance (since I plan to shoot bugs as well :p) but doubt I would bring my tripod everywhere I go.

Ignore the "gap" between 50 and 70mm. There's no need to "fill" it. The difference is a step or two forward/back. For 4 years I've had nothing in the 50-70 range, and never once have I thought to myself, "Damn, I could get the perfect shot if only I had a 60!"

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
With a new question, you should probably start a new thread. Many people will see a 5-page thread and ignore it, assuming the discussion has wandered off in one of the usual digressions. (Canon! Nikon!)

Hehe. So true. It's not uncommon for a thread to devolve into raging brand war after the OP is long gone...which of course would never happen if people just realized from the beginning that Canon is way better than Nikon...

Kidding!! :p :D

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
With a new question, you should probably start a new thread. Many people will see a 5-page thread and ignore it, assuming the discussion has wandered off in one of the usual digressions. (Canon! Nikon!)

True... I'll start one next time :p

Hehe. So true. It's not uncommon for a thread to devolve into raging brand war after the OP is long gone...which of course would never happen if people just realized from the beginning that Canon is way better than Nikon...

Kidding!! :p :D

I mean everybody has to know that! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.